[Not a new tulpa] A tulpa choosing to be semi/nonverbal, late into development?

I'm very curious about if it's possible to have a nonverbal tulpa. Teardrop is semiverbal, and communicates mostly through hand movements and expressions. We're both trying to learn sign language so we can communicate easier.

So does anyone else have experiences with a nonverbal/semiverbal tulpa? Is it even possible to have a non/semiverbal tulpa, or is he some other type of headmate?

Edited by Nonsense Speaker

First off, is he young? Very young tulpas sometimes don't talk verbally just because they simply haven't before, and expressions/gestures are easier. From your posting in Beginner General I'm guessing this is the case. 

You might be better off in the long term to sit down with Teardrop and try to find a voice for him to copy, like from an actor or singer or something like that. Of course it's possible to have a non/semiverbal tulpa, because a very good number need weeks or months to start talking verbally. 

I won't knock on you learning sign language because, although it's quite a convoluted way to start communicating (Have you tried having Teardrop write on a small, portable whiteboard?), it makes for a good bonding/forcing activity. Assuming this is ASL and not BSL or some other sign language, I'll highly recommend Lifeprint.com as a learning resource. https://www.lifeprint.com/asl101/lessons/lesson01.htm They have a youtube too with many more video lessons. 

I'd say my tulpa Cassidy took about two months to be "fully verbal", although he started talking with short phrases within a few days. I can totally see a more reserved tulpa needing longer, or having a longer phase of being semiverbal. 

To recap, no, it doesn't mean he's not a tulpa. Tulpas develop at different rates. Since he's young, it looks to me like he just hasn't found a voice yet, he doesn't know how to talk/access talking. You'd be better off in the long-term to spend some time and teach him, because communication is important. However learning a sign language can be a great activity. 

Feel free to ask further questions if you have any.

- Jamie

Edited by JGC

The world is far, the world is wide; the man needs someone by his side. 

Our Thread

Nope, Teardrop's been around for a while. He's expressed to me that he doesn't like speaking, and that it makes him uncomfortable when he feels like he has to. Thank you for the resources, we'll definitely look into them! I'll try to see if he wants to write on a whiteboard too, since that would be a good idea until we both have a clearer form of communication.

[Duck] I'm 2 years old, and I like using less words. It makes me feel comfortable. I'm a tulpa.

[Sub. Rep.] I wasn't comfortable speaking with others including my other headmates until recently. I'm the original tulpa in the system.

I felt uncomfortable with the tulpa label, I wanted my identity to be fluid and determined by randomness. However, it was brought to my attention I was always myself, despite having multiple identities in wonderland over time. I like to change my voice when embracing randomness, especially because my voice carries a piece of my identity.

I refrained from speaking to others because I didn't want a stronger sense of self. Now I see it does not really matter, I can still lose my sense of self if I try hard enough.

Edited by Shadow System

Everyone in our system is vocal, but there are times when we're scared, uncomfortable, or just unsure of what we want to say that we'll go silent for a little bit.  It sounds like Teardrop just has his own personal comfort threshold when it comes to being vocal.  I personally don't think that makes him any less of a tulpa.  A person who's mute isn't any less of a person that someone who isn't, you know?  Things like forms, vocality, wonderlands, and other things like that aren't strictly 100% necessary, but they're great for improving a tulpa's quality of life if both you and your tulpa are willing to pursue them.  Basically, I recommend prioritizing what would make Teardrop feel satisfied and fulfilled with his life.  If you can find a way to communicate that lets Teardrop express himself without making him uncomfortable, that's just as valid as him being vocal.  

If you're able to find ways of communicating that are comfortable for him, it might help to let him explore what is that makes him feel uncomfortable with his voice.  If he's capable of possession, I'd recommend that he journal about his thoughts and feelings on the matter.  It really helps to question things and dig down to the root causes of why he feels the way he does.  You can either let him do this on his own or help him out with it, whatever feels best to him.  For us, it's helped a lot to either ask ourselves or each other why we act and feel the way we do.  Some things that cause us to feel uncomfortable are past experiences that we didn't know how to deal with at the time, traits we cling to because we identify with them, or expectations from either culture, a community, or someone close to us.  From what you've said, it sounds like there might be something about this expectation of vocality that could be making Teardrop uncomfortable?  So that could be a good place to start.

Peace. Love. Booty.

My Darlings: Ghostly, Reiji, Osomatsu, Kokichi, Chimera

L has days when he's completely silent and only communicates with expressions and movements, we don't know why. He's a pretty quiet guy to begin with, and it doesn't seem to be anything to worry about, so I guess some tulpas just are like that. L has been around for 6 years now and it's not a very new development on his part, he's pretty much always been like this.

Iro - He/they - 30th April 1997 - Host of the system - Speaker if there's no tag

Desmond - He/him - 21st April 2014

L - He/him - 5th May 2014

Nevira - She/her - 14th December 2014

Misa - She/her - 5th December 2015

Roska - He/him - 22nd July 2019

Danyla - They/them - 13th July 2020

Asha - He/him - 13th June 2022

• 5 weeks later...

Tomoe is semiverbal, but I think it's connected to the fact that he's an age slider because when he appears older he speaks a lot more. He's definitely still a tulpa though 🙂

Despite the name, the host bodybody is the one usually using this account. 

Spice was born in 2013 and Tomoe was born in 2014.