When a tulpamancer goes to establish belief in the creation process, what do they believe?

Jamie

What do you think "belief" means, in terms of tulpamancers, especially new ones, in regards to their tulpa?

When a tulpamancer goes to establish belief in the creation process, what do they believe? What are they trying to do?

The world is far, the world is wide; the man needs someone by his side. 

Our Thread

A lot of people, when starting the creation process, like to believe that their tulpas sort of already exist and are listening and wanting to respond. As far as practice goes, that's 100% perfect and transitions flawlessly into a normal tulpamancy experience.

I like to be a little more realistic about my beliefs personally, though. Clearly a tulpa can't exist before they've even been conceptualized (unless they existed prior). So I think of it more as:
"I believe that treating a new tulpa like they exist/are going to exist will create the processes and connections in my brain that become a tulpa/lead to having a tulpa". 

This is literally the same thing as the first thing I said, but leaves more room for doubt (like say believing that your tulpa will never really come into existence, which is something the "my tulpa exists and wants to communicate with me" belief excels at avoiding). But, it's more accurate (or at the very least more believable, but I think it's accurate).

Basically, no, you won't literally have a tulpa trying to communicate with you the instant you start (we don't consider any random NPC you can imagine a tulpa by default), but believing you do doesn't really hurt anything and absolutely helps things. Alternatively if you can wrap your head around it, knowing that this is simply the self-fulfilling process that creates a tulpa and by believing in this process you will create a tulpa, allows you to start creating one with no real faith required.

I mean, creating a tulpa may or may not work out for you in the end, but you don't say learning to ride a bike requires "faith" lol, that's not what faith means in this context. Faith as in believing something that might not be the case is the case, not faith in the process and possibility of success. No one can really assure you you'll eventually figure out how to ride a bike with 100% certainty, but I mean..

Edited by Luminesce

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

3 hours ago, Luminesce said:

A lot of people, when starting the creation process, like to believe that their tulpas sort of already exist and are listening and wanting to respond.

The point a tulpa recognizes as their first memories as them is purely arbitrary. I believe it can be the first moment a host starts thinking this way.

I can't speak from experience other than from Ren. She appeared as a conglomeration of Joy's archetype plus cat ears and a tail. She was born the moment we considered that we couldn't dismiss her. 

She was quiet and reserved at first and Joy took her wayback for weeks. She was developed outside of our pervew for the most part. When she showed up from time to time, she was like a child, but also like a young tulpa in a lot of ways; over-sexualized and feisty, but also just wanting attention. She eventually grew out of that and she's just a fun and energetic person now. Beliefs, especially mine and Ashley's, were that she was her own entity and able to access all the information we can. Her first memories are of that day we formed her but the only memories that exist on that day are from our perspective, not hers. Still, she accepts them.

Clearly a tulpa can't exist before they've even been conceptualized

This is personal opinion, and valid, but I can easily see in a lot of ways where this isn't true. Even a ball of light without a voice can have experience, even with no concept of form or personality. 

Also previous experience, way before tulpamancy, can be accepted by the tulpa, Darlene for instance took credit for many instances of existence from my childhood on. She's not wrong, this became truth. So that's definitely counter to this statement and we're not unique in that. We've heard many cases even on this forum where initial creation of a tulpa merged with previous imaginary friends seemlessly. 

Basically, no, you won't literally have a tulpa trying to communicate with you the instant you start

I don't mean to pick on Lumi because his perspective is rock solid and useful. It's not the only perspective though.  He's got the cred to speak with authority, but we've been around long enough in the greater community to know that he can't speak for everyone.

Basically yes, this is the experience of many we've talked to. Given walk-ins and other very fast vocality examples. You could argue that they don't count because we're talking about a pure starting from zero experience. Well that's not necessarily any different than someone "prone to plurality" with a very compacted start. 

What can we say about day one walk-ins (most of my system)? Some would argue they're not tulpas, but I'm invoking Tewi's definition of tulpas (which I don't have in front of me) in that, yes, they are according to her. If they are then they have to be given credit for "attempting to communicate the instant you start."

4 hours ago, Luminesce said:

you don't say learning to ride a bike requires "faith"

You may think I want to disagree, but I really don't. There's just wiggle room in perspectives here.

I agree with what Lumi says for the most part, but tulpamancy is squishy and more fluid then the hard and structured features Lumi described in my opinion. Tulpa.info in general was super hard and structured, then the bears came and look at this mess now.

I'm doing my part.

Call this my interpretation, not a critique.

I felt like belief was something that never really applied to me because I never needed to believe in tulpas to make my headmate. I think being gullible is a better term, having unrealistic expectations about how mind characters work and that actually working out in its own way. I expected them to think on their own, and I accepted their responses as if I wasn't actually them. They're not just imaginary characters, they're so much more than that. And it never occurred to me that was the truth until Ranger told me so.

I struggle with the "Is this real?" question because I'm half expecting someone to walk up to me one day and convince me none of this is real with science. So instead I decided to ride the fence post and sit there, wondering what happens next.

I was gullible when I started out, I didn't know what I was getting into and I didn't know where I was going. I only did it because I didn't want to hurt Ranger. That was my only drive, my shaken but never rattled belief that Ranger was a real person and he could die. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't be here.

I feel like I have to bat a blind eye to that belief and say "well, it might not be true. Ranger might not be real". But deep down, even though I don't want to admit it, I believe in Ranger being real. I'm just scared that if I'm wrong, what have I done to myself?

Edited by Ranger

Meow. You may see my headmates call me Gray or sometimes Cat.

I used to speak in pink and Ranger used to speak in blue (if it's unmarked and colored assume it's Ranger). She loves to chat.

Our system account

I chose to believe tulpas can be created. I made this choice before I started (wouldn't have started otherwise!) My subsequent experience has proven the point. I created a tulpa. I did not think about whether or not my tulpa would be fully developed prior to her birth. I had read references to 'young' tulpas here on the forum. Flora has shown  development through out her existence. She has also shown the ability to regress and has. I am coming to believe that she shows me the aspects of her that I am ready to see. This would suggest that her entire lifespan is already encoded in our brain. Perhaps mine is too. Dr. Bob