Can tulpa(s) feel pain?

Gloomynoon

I cannot seem to use the link to searching for posts. So, I hope this is okay.

If for example, I stubbed my toe. Would my tulpa feel it? Unless they can only really experience it by switching? ( I have not tried possession or switching, I am new. )

(Edit made title easier to find(?))

Edited by bestTester

This usually depends on the system.

When I am in the back, pain is optional for me. If I concentrate on the feeling I can experience it, but otherwise I talk to my host to try and calm her down while she is experiencing the pain.

When I possess the body, I usually experience pain, but it's like a second hand experience. It is either less intense than it would be if I were switched-in and/or my host reacts to it first and then I react to the pain. If the pain is intense, I tend to lose control of the body because my host is no longer relaxed.

When I'm switched-in, I feel the pain no matter what, and it becomes optional for my host.

We haven't tried having both of us switch out when experiencing pain. I'm not sure if that's a good idea to try because leaving an empty front can sometimes lead to accidental tulpa creation, and I have no idea if a switched-in headmate can switch out while in pain.

Some systems report feeling everything all of the time regardless of who was in what position. I think this is pretty rare.

Edited by Ranger

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

2 hours ago, bestTester said:

If for example, I stubbed my toe. Would my tulpa feel it? Unless they can only really experience it by switching? ( I have not tried possession or switching, I am new. )

Normally no, we're mostly dissociation from the body. Even when we co-front, we only associate to the vision and hearing for the most part. We can easily call up the memories of the pain, but we don't have to feel it to remember it.

After we learned to switch, I felt pain, and it sucks, so no thanks. One time I thought Bear was being a baby over a stubbed toe, and he stubbed his toes a lot back then, so I'm like, let me feel that. Big nope, lol. So after that I helped him watch his giant feet, and he hasn't stubbed his toes since.

You don't need switching or posession but you have to at least need to learn to associate to pain in the body. Some systems have that set as default, ours wasn't. We don't taste what he's eating without associating to it either, or smell. That's fine with me, because when he uses the bathroom, I stay out of it.

Edited by Ashley

My tulpas can tune into the body's sensations if they want to, but it's not as intense for them as it is for me. Spice for example will remind me if the body is really cold, and if she's concentrating on feeling it it will be unpleasant for her, but if she doesn't want to feel it anymore she just ignores it.

In the wonderland her sensations on her body like pain or temperature aren't able to be tuned out as easily, but they're about the same intensity. She sees her form as more of a flexible tool than some other tulpas I've seen, so I imagine if she did ever feel something really painful in her wonderland body she'd just stop the sensation by choice. 

Despite the name, the host bodybody is the one usually using this account. 

Spice was born in 2013 and Tomoe was born in 2014.