Beginner Questions General

ThunderClap

Guest Anonymous

I would suggest reading more broadly than just the guides as well. There are some interesting books out there about visualizing and the imagination that will give you a wider knowledge base. Carl Jung (on active imagination), and J.H. Brennen are good places to start.

Here is a good book we read about Carl Jung's writing on active imagination: http://www.amazon.com/Jung-Active-Imagination-C-G/dp/0691015767

This is the quintessential literary source that everyone sites about tulpas by Alexandra David Neel: http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Mystery-Madame-Alexandra-David-Neel-ebook/dp/B00A73IYHG/ref=dp_kinw_strp_1

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Question, again - I have the feeling this was asked a lot, and I'm not sure about how should I look for a similar thread, so I'm asking here. Sorry for the double post.

Many guides around say: "you should NOT create a tulpa for their looks".

I suppose that many hosts tend to give their tulpas a form of their own liking, though - at least before tulpas start deviating.

Now, of course a reasonable tulpamancer wouldn't create a tulpa just to make them stand still and be looked at... but how can someone be entirely sure of not being interested in the tulpa's looks in the slightest?

In that case, should I (hypotetically, I'm not attempting anything yet) give the tulpa a form I don't like instead, so that I'm sure I don't have any "ulterior motives" towards them? (Does this even make sense?)

Mhh, you should give your tulpa a form you're comfortable with, and later on your tulpa should be comfortable with it as well. Also a change later on is possible. The point of the statement, that you shouldn't create a tulpa for its looks, is to be aware of what you're trying to accomplish. You shouldn't create a tulpa just because you want someone with a certain look around, for fanboyish reasons. The point is to be aware, that a tulpa is its own person, and not a toy to play around with. You see where I'm coming from with this?

A lot of people get the idea "cool I can have my own XYZ around, i like this character so I want it" without realizing that they don't get a fictional copy, they get a sentient being.

Tulpa: Alice

Form: Realistic Humanoid/Demonic Creation

She may or may not talk here, depends on her.

You can give your tulpa a form that you like, but the form shouldn't be the sole reason reason for creating a tulpa. It isn't required that they have one, so you could work on making one later with your tulpa once they're capable of doing so, having no form or a simplistic base form until then.

@seebaru

I think the spirit of that particular phrase is go seen against people who would make a tulpa to look like a particular character. Who try to create that character as a brain buddy for themselves.

I think giving your tulpa a form you like is just fine, especially if its something original that you designed.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

-Arthur Conan Doyle

Oh I got it now! I guess I misunderstood the meaning of the advice in the first place then.

So, I can give my tulpa a form I like, but I shouldn't create a tulpa out of a form that I like. Is this right?

...well, I guess it shouldn't be too much of a problem, since tulpas can change their looks anyway. xP

It isn't required that they have one, so you could work on making one later with your tulpa once they're capable of doing so, having no form or a simplistic base form until then.

In this case, I should wait for them to be fully sentient, then. If this was the case, though, I'd base the creation off simple narration and maybe personality forcing. Is this even possible? (I'm not arguing, I'm genuinely wondering.)

Oh I got it now! I guess I misunderstood the meaning of the advice in the first place then.

So, I can give my tulpa a form I like, but I shouldn't create a tulpa out of a form that I like. Is this right?

...well, I guess it shouldn't be too much of a problem, since tulpas can change their looks anyway. xP

In this case, I should wait for them to be fully sentient, then. If this was the case, though, I'd base the creation off simple narration and maybe personality forcing. Is this even possible? (I'm not arguing, I'm genuinely wondering.)

You can go with a placeholder form, like a lightball. But yes, generally you can do it without focussing on visualisation for now.

Tulpa: Alice

Form: Realistic Humanoid/Demonic Creation

She may or may not talk here, depends on her.

Yes, that's correct.

In this case, I should wait for them to be fully sentient, then. If this was the case, though, I'd base the creation off simple narration and maybe personality forcing. Is this even possible?

Well, you don't have to wait if you're wanting to create a form. And sure, considering that some tulpas don't have forms at all, it's possible to do this through just narration and personality work.

• Vos pinned this topic
  • Pleeb locked and pinned this topic