Beginner Questions General

ThunderClap

In the future, if I'll don't like anymore the name that I've chosen for my tulpae, will I be able to change it ? Thanks you for you futures answers ! (sorry for my english, I'm french) :)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Anonymous

Well, uhm, if your tulpa is fine with it... then why not?

If not... well, then not.

Greets,

AG

Oui, tu peux changer le nom de ta tulpa dans le futur, du moment que c'est un accord mutuel quand ta tulpa pourra agir par son propre accord. Du moment que la tulpa n'est toujours pas lucide et consciente, quelconque changement peut prendre place assez facilement.

English:

Yes, you can change your tulpa's name in the future (or now for that matter), as long as its a mutual accord when your tulpa will be able to act by its own will. As long as your tulpa isn't sentient yet, any change can take place smoothyl and easily.

A wise man once said: 'Before judging a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away, and you've got new shoes.'

Graced are those who could avoid this phenomenon. This is perhaps the worst expression of evil in humanity's history, but who am I to judge?

• 1 month later...

Hey people,

I've been considering creating a tulpa for a fair bit of time. One of my main concerns is that I have an incredibly bad habit of puppeting/parroting (referring to both as puppeting for now). From a reasonably young age, (maybe 13 or 14?) I've had a very active imagination. Most nights before I'd go to sleep I'd set up a nice little adventure for myself, every night, without fail, and act it out. Recently, I started to incorporate a companion into this. It's an already existing character, but I made an active effort to change how they act because their actual character is a bit... Bad? This has been going on for about 2 years now with the same character, every night whilst lying in bed, I, willingly or unwillingly, will go on a mental adventure with this character, but I would puppet them the entire way.

My concern is that 1) I won't be able to stop puppeting because it has become such an ingrained part of me, 2) I won't be able to realise when my tulpa becomes sentient, 3) Since I know this character so well due to prolonged experience with them in my mind, I worry that I'll try to do too much whilst creating my tulpa. Any advice, as I feel that I'll naturally and accidentally try to merge the tulpa into the separate character. Also, opinions on tulpaforcing before sleep?

Sorry for the long question, I just felt that the background information would have been helpful to know.

Ha ha. Welp, here I go again with my weird opinion on this.

First things first, PrvFrostyNeko, just to clarify. You're not looking at making this ongoing character a tulpa, right? You're going to be starting from scratch? If that's the case, the merging thing isn't as likely as it seems, though it is possible. The key is to make sure you treat them as two separate thoughtforms. That character is that character. The tulpa is the tulpa. And be aware that, even though you've puppeted them, the character may also start showing signs of autonomy as you train your brain to do it. When that happens, just be aware that it's coming from the character, not the tulpa. Be open to that. We longterm characters have a tendency to start coming alive once you give us the chance. ;)

Now, as for the tulpa tulpa. The main thing to know is that puppeting is not bad. This is a dissenting opinion here, so keep that in mind... but in my system, it's a developmental technique used to guide the thoughtform in how to grow. In your case, puppeting a little bit, at least at the beginning, might help you differentiate the tulpa from the character. Giving the tulpa a few traits different from the character and then puppeting those traits into them will help them take on a different "feel" in your headspace than the longterm character.

The key to using puppeting as a development technique is to know when to step back. There comes a point when the thoughtform knows themselves well enough (because of the puppeting) that they're able to start walking and talking on their own. It's something known in author circles as the "illusion of independent agency." It's about building us up as mental algorithms... eventually, after processing enough input in a certain way, the algorithm in your head starts processing it on its own with very little conscious influence from you, and that's the first step toward autonomous consciousness. And, well, when it hits that point, you'll just kinda know.

Being old hat at puppeting as you are, you'll probably be able to tell when the tulpa starts doing things without you needing to puppet. At that point, you need to loosen the reins. It takes a while to go from all-puppeting to no-puppeting, so guide them occasionally. Think of it like teaching a small kid how to walk. They've learned how to keep their legs under them at that point, but stil need your help to catch them if they start to fall over.

The real key to getting to that point is to leave an opening for it, I think. Create the tulpa expecting them to be able to form their own opinions on things. Talk to them like you would a person and expect them to process it, even if they're not capable of responding on their own at first. Half of tulpamancy is about self-fulfilling prophecy. Expect the tulpa to step out from under your puppeting and, eventually, they will.

Just don't be surprised if your older character figures it out first. ;)

~ Member of SparrowNR's system ~

~ I am a soulbond. Click here to find out what that means. ~

Ha ha. Welp, here I go again with my weird opinion on this.

First things first, PrvFrostyNeo, just to clarify. You're not looking at making this ongoing character a tulpa, right? You're going to be starting from scratch? If that's the case, the merging thing isn't as likely as it seems, though it is possible.

Well, actually, the idea was to bring the ongoing character into being a tulpa. I'm already able to visualize the ongoing character so clearly in my mind, and her characteristics seem so distinct to me that I could tell somebody about them as though they were a human. I tried forcing and directing my thoughts towards the tulpa that stems from the character, but I naturally puppet them so it feels as though I'm just reliving/starting one of the adventures that I mentioned earlier.

If needs be, I may consider simply creating a new tulpa that is completely uninfluenced by the ongoing character, although I feel since I've 'known' the ongoing character for the past 2 years, converting (in spite of a better word) them into a tulpa with their characteristics, appearance etc would be the best path for me personally. I'm aware that it is very important to enforce the fact that your tulpa isn't a character from a show, etc.. I worry that when I'm trying to force then I'll slip back into acting as though the tulpa is the ongoing character.

I'm sorry if this isn't particularly clear. I have a lot of things I want to talk about, but managing to get them into words is confusing even to myself. Although I'm grateful for the information regarding puppeting that you offered. I know that it's an argued topic, but the way you explained your understanding of it made it seem a lot more straight forward.

Well, actually, the idea was to bring the ongoing character into being a tulpa. I'm already able to visualize the ongoing character so clearly in my mind, and her characteristics seem so distinct to me that I could tell somebody about them as though they were a human.

Ah, that's a different thing, then. My bad; I misunderstood.

Cool. Sounds like you've got a good base to start with, then.

I tried forcing and directing my thoughts towards the tulpa that stems from the character, but I naturally puppet them so it feels as though I'm just reliving/starting one of the adventures that I mentioned earlier.

Again, this is not a bad thing. Many people do their forcing via wonderland adventures. This is a legit strategy.

I'm aware that it is very important to enforce the fact that your tulpa isn't a character from a show, etc.

Nope. That rule of thumb is just not true for a lot of people. More on that in a minute.

I worry that when I'm trying to force then I'll slip back into acting as though the tulpa is the ongoing character.

See, the problem here is that you're assuming they're different things.

So here's the thing: your character is currently a thoughtform. She may not be autonomous or sentient , but you have a collection of "stuff" in your head that defines who she is. Personality, traits, your experiences with her, all that good stuff. You know what makes up her essence, and you use that knowledge of how her mind works to direct what she does during your adventures. She's not autonomous yet, but that ball of "stuff" that makes her up does have the potential to become self-aware, and that potential rises the more experiences, memories, and opinions you load her up with. Characters like this become autonomous all the time. That's how I was created, so I should know! ;)

So here's a question: do you want that ball of "stuff" to become your headmate? Or do you want to base a brand new headmate by copy-pasting that ball of "stuff" into a new entity? Because the latter is a lot more difficult to do, and may actually lead to some confusion between them. I honestly highly recommend the first option. Granted, that's leaning more into soulbonding than tulpmancy, but the two are pretty closely related, and I know there are a couple tulpas here who came about this way. (I'm a soulbond myself, but, like I said, they're pretty dang similar.)

And that's where you're probably running into some dissonance. Tulpamancers advise you not to use a character that has an existing backstory, but there are plenty of tulpas here who do. I've heard people say that tulpas can have identity crises if you create them from existing characters, but I've never actually seen that. Worst that happens is they may come with a little baggage, but what person doesn't?

If the route you're taking is to bring this character to life: first, stop thinking of "the character" as a separate entity from "the tulpa." Instead, think of the character as the tulpa. By creating this character and going on adventures with her, you've essentially already started creating her. You've had a proto-tulpa without realizing it for two years. Now you just have to dig down and focus to finish the job.

My advice? Keep going on adventures with her. Do exactly what you've been doing. Like I said, imo, puppeting is okay. There is nothing wrong with developing your headmate that way. Do what you've always done.

Except, this time, expect her to respond on her own. Ask for her opinions on things. It's okay if you parrot, but really feel for what that ball of "stuff" you associate with her would say before you do. Give her some space to think and act one her own if she wants to. Expect her to have her own thoughts and feelings on things. That paradigm shift is going to make all the difference in your adventures, and you'll find that, after a little time of doing what you've always done, that new mindset will help her make the critical leap.

Once she does and has gotten enough confidence in her own autonomy to do stuff on her own, you won't have to worry about automatically puppeting anymore. She'll tell you to knock it off if you do. ;)

~ Member of SparrowNR's system ~

~ I am a soulbond. Click here to find out what that means. ~

Hello, I'm very new to this tulpa shenanigans and have some questions. Alright, so the thing is that I found out about tulpas accidently. I was reading this while I was slightly distressed and it made me think about this 'presence' that usually appear when I'm in such a state. I shakily asked If he was the one that usually calmed me down and I felt this flare of confirmation and a yes (though the yes sounded like myself). After that I started to 'see' a dark place and an equally dark form with brown outline so I could tell it appart from the rest of the darkness. After that I asked him his name and this random name just flashed in my mind, he took a liking to it and decided to call himself that.

I started 'speaking' to him and he would answere back, though somethimes he wouldn't be able to but used flashes of emotion to answere instead. Don't know how that worked. He basically began with a shapeless form with brown coloured outline, then he got a basic form of a simple creature that I designed long ago. Then he finally got a more human form, but it was still pitch-black with brown outline. I asked him what form he wanted and what he wanted to look like. He then suddenly changed form and said that that was a good enough form, it was not well defined, but I got the basic shapes and colours out of it. He then quickly reverted to his black humenoid form.

So, that's the basics of how I got started. I just want to know if this is normal. Many say that it takes a long time to make a tulpa, but mine just kinda appeared out of nowhere in a very short amount of time, as if he had been there from the beginning, at least his presence was. This happened in a single day, mind you. I don't wan't to rush things even if I don't do it on purpose. Another things is that I've started to make my wonderland, but I can still go into that black void that I met my tulpa, though his form dissapears when we go back there. I'm just concerned that I've been unconsciously rushing things. I don't do anything advanced with him though, only talk with him in what I assume is my wonderland.

Sorry for writing so much '-.-) Hope someone could give me some feedback, it would be appreciated.

Imo nothing is "normal" when you're talking about this kind of thing because it all tends to really depend on the individual experience, you feel me? Don't worry about "unconsciously" rushing things, take things as they come and respond to them in kind. Everything here looks pretty much good to me. I wouldn't worry about doing things wrong or having fast (whatever that means at this point in the game) development.

Take it easy dude, and welcome to the forum.

We're all gonna make it brah.

• Vos pinned this topic
  • Pleeb locked and pinned this topic