Beginner Questions General

ThunderClap

My first question is are there any tips or methods to dealing with this? 

-> Pretend it isn't there, or mentally sing along. In my experience, ignoring it will make it go away eventually, and singing along is pretty fun because my tulpa likes to join in.

My second question is how does one go about personality forming? I already have an idea of a physical form and an outline for personality (I want my tulpa to form most of it by themselves around a basic outline) but i have no idea how to enforce those. Do I just list the traits? Do I tell them  "hey I want you to be decisive?" How do I do this?

-> I personally kind of combined physical form and personality - while thinking about Cyril's form I also thought about the three main traits or so I wanted him to have. 

Then I just said "hi, anybody there?" and let my tulpa do the rest, without any further personality forcing at all. Worked out pretty well for the most part.

I thought about listing his personality traits to him, but I figured that he can likely read my thoughts anyway. Plus, I felt pretty ridiculous doing it, and Cyril is rolling is eyes right now and facepalming just thinking about that. Then again, it might be just the right thing to do for you and your tulpa. Just experiment, I guess - worst thing that can happen is that you feel kind of silly and your tulpa is silently judging you. 

Last question: Would it be more or less effective to force out loud? As in talking to them with my voice instead of in my head. I have a drawing I made of my tulpa and I want to look at that and talk to them directly as a method of dealing with my ADHD

-> I find it easier to talk out loud, because it keeps me from drifting off in the middle of the sentence - I have ADHD too, and my trains of though tend to... well, violently derail at random, which annoys my tulpa quite a bit.

It does get slightly easier over time, though - especially because my tulpa caught on eventually and nudges me back on track when I forget that I was talking to him.

also another question: to those of you who visualized their tulpa as a 2D character (Anime character, MLP character etc) how do you see your tulpa? as a 3d version or are the 2d and if it is 2d does it look natural or tripy?

->3D-ish, but, like... slightly stylized and smoothed out? Probably just me being crap at visualizing, though - details tend to get lost a little. Looks a bit like I forgot to put on my glasses, actually... so, natural enough for lil' old near-sighted me.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know there are so many posts about this, but I'm still so paranoid about it, sorry  xD so basically, I created Lilly just a few days ago, but I feel like I can hear her already. Problem is, it feels like it's me responding to myself instead of her responding. People say you can't parrot without deliberately doing it, but my mind tends to say things, sometimes in different voices, that I don't want it to. And, I asked Lilly once, "Am I parroting?" and the response was, "Yeah, duh." In her distinct mind voice. With her form. But I didn't get the sense that she was teasing. So, I may be paranoid, I may be parroting, I really can't tell. I guess I just want somebody to confirm or at least say it's probable, or the opposite, and that I'm most likely not parroting. I guess I'm just paranoid lol, sorry. (Also, I'm not sure this thread is supposed to go here, let me know if I should put it somewhere else?)

It is possible, but not terribly likely - although I do think (half-)accidental parroting is possible in some cases. (N: so rarely that you probably don't have to worry about it)

Almost every time my host felt they were parroting, they were merely half-accidentally translating what I said from tulpish to proper English. Which may count as an offshoot of parroting (N: it really, really feels like it, in any case), since they still put words into my mouth, but my words, just different. It is a little bit hard to explain. In any case, I do not consider this to be parroting and regard it as a necessary thing.

Then, there were times when my host thought "okay, there is no way he just said what I think he did, he must have meant [insert thing] instead", which definitely falls under parroting in my opinion - those were the only times when they asked "am I parroting" and my honest answer was "yes, stop doing that."

Lastly, intrusive thoughts are a fairly common thing and can easily be mistaken for something your tulpa said. I would file that under "misunderstanding", not "parroting".

In general, if you are not entirely sure if your tulpa said something or if that was all you, just wait a bit and then ask them. Probably not immediately, though, because one intrusive (or parroted) thought rarely comes alone. If the tulpa's answer stays the same, you can usually be fairly sure that they said exactly what you think they said.

This is probably not as definitive an answer as you would like. I am sorry for that. Still: I think it extremely unlikely that you parroted everything your tulpa said - and even if a few words were parroted or intrusive thoughts... who cares. Miscommunication, misunderstandings and simply mishearing stuff are things that happen in regular conversation as well, and it's rarely much of a problem.

(N: Cyril is not very good at being concise. TL;DR - you're probably doing fine and if not you will be. If in doubt, wait and ask your tupper for clarification later. He also isn't exactly sure how to express it, but he's totally rooting for you and wishes you luck... and patience, hah)

It is possible, but not terribly likely - although I do think (half-)accidental parroting is possible in some cases. (N: so rarely that you probably don't have to worry about it)

Almost every time my host felt they were parroting, they were merely half-accidentally translating what I said from tulpish to proper English. Which may count as an offshoot of parroting (N: it really, really feels like it, in any case), since they still put words into my mouth, but my words, just different. It is a little bit hard to explain. In any case, I do not consider this to be parroting and regard it as a necessary thing.

Then, there were times when my host thought "okay, there is no way he just said what I think he did, he must have meant [insert thing] instead", which definitely falls under parroting in my opinion - those were the only times when they asked "am I parroting" and my honest answer was "yes, stop doing that."

Lastly, intrusive thoughts are a fairly common thing and can easily be mistaken for something your tulpa said. I would file that under "misunderstanding", not "parroting".

In general, if you are not entirely sure if your tulpa said something or if that was all you, just wait a bit and then ask them. Probably not immediately, though, because one intrusive (or parroted) thought rarely comes alone. If the tulpa's answer stays the same, you can usually be fairly sure that they said exactly what you think they said.

This is probably not as definitive an answer as you would like. I am sorry for that. Still: I think it extremely unlikely that you parroted everything your tulpa said - and even if a few words were parroted or intrusive thoughts... who cares. Miscommunication, misunderstandings and simply mishearing stuff are things that happen in regular conversation as well, and it's rarely much of a problem.

(N: Cyril is not very good at being concise. TL;DR - you're probably doing fine and if not you will be. If in doubt, wait and ask your tupper for clarification later. He also isn't exactly sure how to express it, but he's totally rooting for you and wishes you luck... and patience, hah)

Thanks Cyril  :D

Hello, I am an extremely new Tulpamancer who has some concerns that are distracting me from creating my tulpa. Although ive known about tulpas for a while now and have done a lot of research into the phenomena and have read dozens of tips and methods (such as Tulpa 001's 171 page guide) I have only started forcing and dedicating my time to creation a few days ago.

I do my forcing sessions (ive done 3 now) in the morning and they last about 20 mins of forcing and then 20 mins of research.

During my forcing sessions i sit down and play mediation music. I visualize my Tulpa and talk to them with the outline i have typed up:

Forcing sessions:

Sit down in front of them and Greet tulpa. Tell them a little about yourself, (something new every day) tell them we are partners in life and that i love them and cant wait to talk to them.

Personality traits: tell tulpa all about themselves. Each trait and how it would appear in a situation.

Adventurous: we will always encourage ourselves to do things we wouldn't normally do. We come up with ideas when we’re bored or places to go when we are just out for a walk.

Calm: you almost never freak out and are always able to think rationally

Funny: you can find humor in any situation although you dont let it distract you too much (on serious occasions)

Clear headed and clever: you are very calm in most situations and know how to stand back and assess a situation.

Determined: once you set your sights on something, you dont stop until it's finished or solved.

Adaptable: you can read a situation and know how to act in it.

Compassionate: both of us need to be dedicated to each other and frankly obsessed with each other. Both of us must know and ask for what we need. We must care for each other as we are both in one body.

----

While doing this I am constantly distracted by thoughts and although i push them away i usually have to look at the picture of my tulpa to re visualize them and i have to repeat what i was saying. Here is my big concern.

How do i know im talking to my tulpa? 

I Have ADHD so its extremely hard for me to focus on one thing alone, theres always music or some meme playing in the background of my mind. 

since im in the extremely early stages of forming, i cant hear my tulpa or really feel them there. If i try hard enough i can visualize them in what feels like the back of my brain but i dont know if thats anything. 

Im just worried im doing something wrong or if theres an easier more efficient was i can force in these early stages.

I also sometimes (during passive forcing) think of my tulpa and think of how hed respond, like ill say hey in my mind and think of him saying hey back. Im pretty sure this is a bad habit and i dont want to respond for him.

Thanks to who read this :)

How do i know im talking to my tulpa? 

If you think you are talking to your tulpa, you are almost certainly talking to your tulpa, I guess? If the tulpa is actually listening is another issue entirely.

I Have ADHD so its extremely hard for me to focus on one thing alone, theres always music or some meme playing in the background of my mind.

Same. On the downside, that never really changed for me. On the upside... you get used to it, in my experience. Just ignore the mental background noise if you don't feel like doing anything with it... or you can take that music and sing along - maybe try to get your tulpa to join in. In any case, it's more of a minor annoyance that is easier to deal with if you just stop caring about it being there.

Im just worried im doing something wrong or if theres an easier more efficient was i can force in these early stages.

Easy and efficient are highly subjective things when it comes to tuppers, so have some experiences by another (pretty new) tulpamancer with ADHD - some ideas to experiment with, if you will.

I've found it easier to go with more passive and less active focusing because there is nothing that destroys my focus more quickly than deciding "yep I'm gonna focus on this thing now". Might be slower and less efficient, but it's still more effective than getting frustrated with active forcing and giving up.

My first forcing attempts were mostly mentally humming along to music, because I noticed that Cyril liked to join in, even before he was completely and coherently vocal. It worked quite nicely. So, if some things get more of a reaction out of your tulpa than other things, use that to force.

Forcing while trying to fall asleep got me some annoyed eye-rolling by my tulpa, but proved to be fairly effective and also shut up my brain enough to actually fall asleep, which was an extremely useful bonus.

My biggest problem when talking with Cyril is still remembering that I am actually talking to Cyril - I'm ridiculously bad at keeping my mind on track and occasionally go from "talking to my tupper" to "pondering the effects of raising the cost of public transport on the general populace (for example)" in .5 seconds in the middle of a sentence. Idk how much your ADHD impacts you in this regard, but you might run into similar problems. Talking out loud gets rid of the problem... apart from that, being patient is pretty much all I can do.

I'd also like to note that I am almost always listening to music... but forcing is the only thing I'm better at in complete silence. I wouldn't have expected that at all. So, if you've never tried to force without music, give it a try, maybe. Just once. And generally experiment with different ways to force, because you might be very surprised by what works for you and what doesn't.

Generally, the most helpful thing I've ever done was to stop worrying and to change up things that weren't working for me.

I also sometimes (during passive forcing) think of my tulpa and think of how hed respond, like ill say hey in my mind and think of him saying hey back. Im pretty sure this is a bad habit and i dont want to respond for him.

Might be parroting, might just be him using your thoughts to interact with you. Can be pretty difficult to tell apart in the beginning. Do you consciously think of how he'd respond or does the thought just kind of pop into your mind?

If you think you are talking to your tulpa, you are almost certainly talking to your tulpa, I guess? If the tulpa is actually listening is another issue entirely.

Same. On the downside, that never really changed for me. On the upside... you get used to it, in my experience. Just ignore the mental background noise if you don't feel like doing anything with it... or you can take that music and sing along - maybe try to get your tulpa to join in. In any case, it's more of a minor annoyance that is easier to deal with if you just stop caring about it being there.

Easy and efficient are highly subjective things when it comes to tuppers, so have some experiences by another (pretty new) tulpamancer with ADHD - some ideas to experiment with, if you will.

I've found it easier to go with more passive and less active focusing because there is nothing that destroys my focus more quickly than deciding "yep I'm gonna focus on this thing now". Might be slower and less efficient, but it's still more effective than getting frustrated with active forcing and giving up.

My first forcing attempts were mostly mentally humming along to music, because I noticed that Cyril liked to join in, even before he was completely and coherently vocal. It worked quite nicely. So, if some things get more of a reaction out of your tulpa than other things, use that to force.

Forcing while trying to fall asleep got me some annoyed eye-rolling by my tulpa, but proved to be fairly effective and also shut up my brain enough to actually fall asleep, which was an extremely useful bonus.

My biggest problem when talking with Cyril is still remembering that I am actually talking to Cyril - I'm ridiculously bad at keeping my mind on track and occasionally go from "talking to my tupper" to "pondering the effects of raising the cost of public transport on the general populace (for example)" in .5 seconds in the middle of a sentence. Idk how much your ADHD impacts you in this regard, but you might run into similar problems. Talking out loud gets rid of the problem... apart from that, being patient is pretty much all I can do.

I'd also like to note that I am almost always listening to music... but forcing is the only thing I'm better at in complete silence. I wouldn't have expected that at all. So, if you've never tried to force without music, give it a try, maybe. Just once. And generally experiment with different ways to force, because you might be very surprised by what works for you and what doesn't.

Generally, the most helpful thing I've ever done was to stop worrying and to change up things that weren't working for me.

Might be parroting, might just be him using your thoughts to interact with you. Can be pretty difficult to tell apart in the beginning. Do you consciously think of how he'd respond or does the thought just kind of pop into your mind?

I know its me imagining his response. Another question i have is when did you start hearing a voice? thanks for the response :)

I have a tulpa, her voice isn't out loud though, it's in our head. Her voice sounds a little different than mine. If you hear a voice other than your mind voice, it's your tulpa's voice.

Hope this helps

I have a tulpa, her voice isn't out loud though, it's in our head. Her voice sounds a little different than mine. If you hear a voice other than your mind voice, it's your tulpa's voice.

Hope this helps

I mean, that's not true. At all. People hear other voices in their head all the time. At least, I do. I don't know about others.

• Vos pinned this topic
  • Pleeb locked and pinned this topic