Advice for imposition these days.

Gloomynoon

I know that imposition is an advanced technique, and that I should probably do it later. Does doing it later make it any easier? I'm not asking about specifically tulpas, but objects as well. Like a red ball, I think that could be harder. Because from what I've read in old guides is that, imposition with a more developed tulpa is a little easier because the mind accepts it as something in meatspace better?

So has imposition changed over the years? 

And whether it has changed or has not. What advice would you give to those who would like to practice it?

I'm not specifically trying to impose my tulpa, I am perfectly okay with not doing that. I guess I just find the idea fascinating. I would just like to try imposing something simple like a cube. 

Maybe someone else knows better, but from my understanding, we still use one of the original guides, so it hasn't changed, and in that guide (someone maybe will link it) it doesn't specify how mature the tulpa has to be. I think it would be good forcing honestly and in the late game, tulpas don't need any forcing specifically since they're naturally active. So any time is a good time to start and it's a long process with a lot of effort but can be really amazing.

I only experience the good stuff randomly. Our imposition is nothing but presence and memory rewriting so I can impose then but they're invisible and silent in meatspace. I overlay mindspace on meatspace, and my visualization is fine, but in memory it's as if it really happened and it's actually confusing at times because the memories are indistinguishable other than content.

Good luck!

2 hours ago, bestTester said:

I know that imposition is an advanced technique, and that I should probably do it later.

While imposition is an advanced technique, you can start practicing now! I don't see any major risks other than I hope you don't have a bad habit of imagining bugs that are not there and distracted driving if you're not careful.

I'm guessing it's better to do it later so you can approach imposition with sharper visualization skills. We have some imposition ability (touch, pressure, some smell/taste, weak auditory) but we haven't attempted visual very many times because we don't think our visualization is good enough.

However, you don't need good visualization skills to give it a go! Practicing with the Ganzfeld affect isn't hard to do.

So has imposition changed over the years? 

I'm assuming it has a little, but I haven't been around for very long so I have no idea.

What advice would you give to those who would like to practice it?

Whatever your approach is, you really need to practice a little or some every day or every couple days. Visualization and imposition ability can quickly degrade if you don't practice often.

@Breloomancer is the resident imposition expert, she would be able to answer this better than I can.

I'm not specifically trying to impose my tulpa, I am perfectly okay with not doing that. I guess I just find the idea fascinating. I would just like to try imposing something simple like a cube. 

Singlets could practice imposition, there's no need to wait if you're really interested.

The more you practice, the better you will get. There's not much reason to wait unless you want to build your visualization skills first!

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

Imposition is one of those things where you'd have an easier time doing it once you've done it before.  I know several tulpamancers who have had success imposing everything from HUDs to an apple on the table after their tulpas were fully imposed.

I know of people who worked on imposition with their tulpas, and the tulpa was able to help them with that focus.  This could be a factor.  At the end of the day, imposition seems to rely on convicting your brain that your tulpa is completely there, in the real world, physically in your field of view.  Having a developed tulpa could help with that more than trying to convince yourself that a red ball isn't there.  I won't discount imposing things without a tulpa, but I haven't seen any cases of it happening (although I haven't looked, and it may be worth exploring if other communities unrelated to tulpas have done similar things).

I'm not specifically trying to impose my tulpa, I am perfectly okay with not doing that.

There hasn't been much change in the process of imposition over the years.  The majority of tulpamancers have the same view that you have, and more often than not, don't pursue imposition.

Spoiler

An image in a signature behind a hidden tag! 

image.png.4b4fd4a211261c307de1fb4de85312d6.png

The things that were most helpful to me were:
-Using the Ganzfeld effect to start to get a feel for your phosphenes and start seeing some basic shapes/colors and trying to control them:

-Then looking at a video of TV static and looking for moving shapes inside the static, it's pretty much like an advanced form of cloud gazing. You just look at it and try to keep track of the shapes you see for as long as possible, after a while you can just take it "out of the screen" the ring style.

That could probably get you in the right direction, at least enough to get your first experience. But there is a lot of little things and tips that could help too but would only be useful to you once you're in the right stage. Getting the experiences is easy, the hard part is to make them last there for more than a few seconds.

I saw this and thought I would respond. (This will highly be based off of my opinion and past experiences with a tulpa who is in "hibernation". She will be awake for winter holidays if you . would like to ask her anything.) 

I believe imposition can be one of your most valuable resources. As a person who struggles to focus, seeing the tulpa and not having my eyes closed prevents the flood of thoughts from taking over. It can also just be fun and entertaining. I enjoyed watching her interact with foods and furniture. This just was good for focus and reminding me to talk to her. 
Why was it a good reminder? I imagined her there so frequently she was always, always there. I might not have talked to her for an hour and I slightly think about her and my brain wou;d "click" and I'd impose her and chit-chat with her. It made her feel more present and real. 

13 hours ago, bestTester said:

And whether it has changed or has not. What advice would you give to those who would like to practice it?

I don't know weather it has changed, I have only ever been able to impose tulpas, and ocasionaly objects, sounds, smells, etc. My tips are, start by imagining them there just imagine their presence there. 
You'll probably get a light overlay like this, for short amounts of time: image.png.7bb1ec9e20c301d4cc7a1a8393e41296.pngAs you practice just by imagining them more frequently and in different spots you'll get better at seeing them and be able to see them for longer. When you practice visualizing them in your head you should pay . attention to their posture and walk, how do their arms swing, how does their back curve? do they have a bouncy walk? 

I hope this helped. 

(disclaimer, I don't know if this was full imposition or just imagining, but I would think it would be beneficial in both development and future imposition.) 

Host of @SadieShores 

R8/Adelia any/he

Sadie (I use varying shades of pink) she.her

Luna! She/her/bug/bugs 

Clover They/It/She

"*various inappropriate music* ɨ ʍɛǟռ աɦǟȶ ƈǟռ ɨ ֆǟʏ,
քʀɛȶȶʏ ɮǟɮɨɛֆ ɨռ ȶɦɛ ɮǟƈӄֆɛǟȶ ֆɨռɢɨռ' ȶօ ʏօʊ,`
"  

check this out: Progress report 

These replies are very helpful! Thanks.

On 12/10/2020 at 8:33 AM, Ranger said:

While imposition is an advanced technique, you can start practicing now! 

Alright!

I'm very confident in my visualization ability.

On 12/10/2020 at 8:31 AM, Bear said:

but in memory it's as if it really happened and it's actually confusing at times because the memories are indistinguishable other than content.

Oh, wow. That does sound confusing.

We have some imposition ability (touch, pressure, some smell/taste, weak auditory)

Is touch, pressure, smell, taste, and audio. Basically from giving them a presence? Like because they are there in-front of you, and you know that if you move your hand forward. You would be touching something like their hand. So you end up feeling that? 

@Breloomancer is the resident imposition expert, she would be able to answer this better than I can.

I will be sure to PM them if I need help (Assuming they are okay with that.)

On 12/10/2020 at 8:37 AM, Pleeb said:

I know several tulpamancers who have had success imposing everything from HUDs to an apple on the table after their tulpas were fully imposed.

I'm curious about the limits of HUDs. I did a little bit of searching, and it seems to be what it sounds like? Like a video game HUD that can display information and pictures? Correct me if I'm wrong.  

I don't know why I haven't heard of the Ganzfield affect until now. I will attempt this when I'm able to.

15 hours ago, A&J said:

I hope this helped. 

It did, thank you.