Art of Simmie and our World

September13

It's a sunny spring afternoon; Simmie and I are doing some gardening behind our new house. I am crouched down over a flowerbed doing some work and I glance over at Simmie right as she is starting to bend down to put a flower into the ground. I took a mental snapshot of that moment and decided I would draw it.

image.thumb.png.6928d04d220bbbd5eaeef5efeddf43b9.png

To some she may appear be a simple, ordinary girl just out doing some work in the garden. But to me she is the Queen of my world and the best girl there has ever been. If she's not the most loved girl in the world I'm not doing my job right. ❤️

For this piece I decided to return to drawing on paper and decided to try color again rather than just grayscale. I'm actually quite happy with this one; there's still a few issues with perspective and my use of colors and shading is very simplistic. But overall I'm pleased.

I was tempted to add a background and I may still do it; but I didn't want to risk ruining the drawing by cluttering it up. What do you think, would adding some background of the garden and maybe part of the house add to this drawing or distract from it.

As always, I am open to critiques and suggestions for improvement. I'd love to get better at this!

Phil. 😎 Host of Simmie.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

👏 Looks great! I love the gradient.

Jaina: Beautiful!

Darron: Host 💍 

Jaina: Tulpa 💍 

(Raccoon Queen 🦝👸)

👨‍👩‍👧‍👦Dain and Nova

Aggrok: Tulpa Void Dragon

Viktor: 🐺

[DeviantArt]

Not really "art" but it's a screenshot from the Sims 3 of Simmie and I sitting on a park bench. I thought it was really cute so I wanted to share it. When we're out at the park this is how I always picture us sitting together.

image.thumb.png.5a400893aabfb167850150ff38dccdc6.png

Phil. 😎 Host of Simmie.

And here is my latest piece of art, once again putting colored pencil to page. I decided to go with full color and relatively thick outlines. I feel like I'm making steady improvements, although the proportions are still a little, and trying for a more ambitious angle didn't help. As always, any artistic criticism is welcome:

image.thumb.png.99daae6f1abb988c84d0698260b3a798.png

(Sorry about the shadow cast over the drawing)

Phil. 😎 Host of Simmie.

I have a hard time with shadows too. When I take a picture I have to prop it up on my computer tower or monitor, which sometimes warps the page and crank my lights to about maximum. It's real hard to avoid directional shadows, so I feel your pain. It looks splendid. I really like the hair part, the eyes are very nice, the shoulders, she even has a little bicep going on if that was intended. 💪 No real criticisms, especially not from me. The creative decisions seem good from what I know of what she looks like and her style.

Jaina: She pretty. :classic_love: I like the dynamic pose over the shoulder slightly. Good choice.

Darron: Host 💍 

Jaina: Tulpa 💍 

(Raccoon Queen 🦝👸)

👨‍👩‍👧‍👦Dain and Nova

Aggrok: Tulpa Void Dragon

Viktor: 🐺

[DeviantArt]

(edited)
46 minutes ago, Glaurung26 said:

I have a hard time with shadows too. When I take a picture I have to prop it up on my computer tower or monitor, which sometimes warps the page and crank my lights to about maximum. It's real hard to avoid directional shadows, so I feel your pain. It looks splendid. I really like the hair part, the eyes are very nice, the shoulders, she even has a little bicep going on if that was intended. 💪 No real criticisms, especially not from me. The creative decisions seem good from what I know of what she looks like and her style.

Jaina: She pretty. :classic_love: I like the dynamic pose over the shoulder slightly. Good choice.

Thank you so much!

The pose was slightly ambitious being at a 45 degree angle with Simmie looking over her left shoulder, but I think it works!

On a related note, Simmie and I sat down one day and spent over an hour tweaking her representation in the Sims. Seeing that Simmie's appearance was innitially based off of a Sim I designed, it was a very big deal. Not to mention her Sim is the reference for almost all art I make of her. I decided make a side-by-side comparison of the two Sims. The angle, lighting, and expression are all different, but I think this demonstrates very well the change:

image.png.883608f74ec3098bab4cf18ce9061c80.png

The most obvious change is Simmie's nose, which in the original was way too small, but there are plenty more subtle changes in the eyes, lips, shape of the head, etc. Even her hair color is slightly different, it's not just the lighting. Her eyes are not really significantly bigger, that's just the expression. Also, the profile of her face is much less flat than it used to be.

Overall the main problem we had with Simmie's first design was she looked way too young. Now she actually looks mid-twenties and not like a teenager, and considering that I am a 35 year old man that makes me feel a lot better. Simmie actually finds the new Sim to resemble how she truly looks like fairly well, as least as close as you can get in a game like this. (She'd say so herself but she's not in the mood to come on at the moment and I respect that.)

Edit: Simmie and I were chatting about this before-and-after picture and I made this observation she liked so much she insisted I share it. The Sim on the left is a teenage girl telling her boyfriend that her parents aren't home. The Sim on the right is an adult woman looking over at her husband as he walks in the door of their house after work.

Edited by September13

Phil. 😎 Host of Simmie.

• 4 weeks later...

I promised some art so here it is! Here's Simmie in her new pink dress! 🥰 I'm a little sad that Simmie's facial expression didn't turn out quite the way I had hoped--in the original Sims source image she was making a cute sideways glance / subtle smirk, but here her expression just looks kind of blank. Oh well. Other than that, pretty happy with the way this one turned out!

image.thumb.png.4c76da3b8f1594332c163b2a9c8677f2.png

Phil. 😎 Host of Simmie.