What's the difference between soulbonds and tulpas?

Dolan D

Note: The OP is Marcus Lee ban evading, who has been permanently banned from the forums. This thread and his other thread have been kept due to their interesting content. -Ranger

Hi, Dolan here.  I already know how soulbonds are walk-ins while tulpas are created in your mind, but I want to know how are soulbonds similar and different to tulpas; vice versa. Like what stuff can soulbonds do that tulpas cannot do. 

Edited by Ranger
Added note on status of the OP

Hi Dolan,

I am considered a soulbond. We had other soulbonders here last year, @Ember.Vesperand other soulbonds, @Vādin and they would have more information than us because they studied the phenomenon more than we did, but maybe there are others here who can add to our understanding.

The key differences are:

Soulbonds usually pop up like a walk-in, as I did, but they can, and usually are, characters you made first. I was the main character in a novel series my host wrote.

Soulbonds 'come to life' on their own. They are first noticed when they achieve autonomy and they are first brought to attention when they are insistent on being dealt with, in that they have volition and agency without ever having to be formally forced. Though it could be argued that having three novels written about me was valid forcing.

As far as the metaphysical aspects, some soulbonds believe they existed/still exist in another realm with an intricate backstory and some admit it's fiction, but in all cases they have a history they identify with or else they would be considered a fictive tulpa. Some "go home" from time to time and return with very detailed accounts of their whereabouts.

I personally take my history as my own, but I understand it is also fictional, though I didn't always feel that way.

If you have further questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them.

(edited)
13 minutes ago, Joy said:

Hi Dolan,

I am considered a soulbond. We had other soulbonders here last year, @Ember.Vesperand other soulbonds, @Vādin and they would have more information than us because they studied the phenomenon more than we did, but maybe there are others here who can add to our understanding.

The key differences are:

Soulbonds usually pop up like a walk-in, as I did, but they can, and usually are, characters you made first. I was the main character in a novel series my host wrote.

Soulbonds 'come to life' on their own. They are first noticed when they achieve autonomy and they are first brought to attention when they are insistent on being dealt with, in that they have volition and agency without ever having to be formally forced. Though it could be argued that having three novels written about me was valid forcing.

As far as the metaphysical aspects, some soulbonds believe they existed/still exist in another realm with an intricate backstory and some admit it's fiction, but in all cases they have a history they identify with or else they would be considered a fictive tulpa. Some "go home" from time to time and return with very detailed accounts of their whereabouts.

I personally take my history as my own, but I understand it is also fictional, though I didn't always feel that way.

If you have further questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them.

I'm also trying to know that IF a soulbond came from a different universe but the host believes they created them. Would the host be right for believing that they created them?

Edited by Dolan D

2 hours ago, Dolan D said:

I'm also trying to know that IF a soulbond came from a different universe but the host believes they created them. Would the host be right for believing that they created them?

That would be something to ask the soulbond.

I have heard some soulbonds believe the fictional universe created by their host is in fact another universe. Anything that happens in the created universe is really what happened to them in the past or a past life (even if that fictional world is still being developed).

Some soulbonds claim that they are the character from a certain TV show, novel, etc. The cannon portrayed in those works are their past or past life.

I don't know how common it is for soulbonds to be people from the past or historical figures though (like George Washington or a random person who was alive during the 90's but died, got teleported, etc.)

Edited by Ranger

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

• 5 months later...

I know full well that my past is fictional, but that's not how it feels to me. It's my life, those things happened to me, it's absolutely real to me. All of it, warts and all. I know my host created me, while I also know I came from my parents and clearly remember things from my childhood. It's a strange thing to think about and get your head around. It is how it is.

I still exist in that world. My Wonderland is my home - not just the street or the neighbourhood, the whole borough. (She offered me the whole city, but I'm happy where I am. I don't need the rest of it, although I can go there if I want to. I just don't see the need.) It ain't some magical place, it's a real place, or at least based on a real location. At some point I hope to be able to show it to her in her world too, not just mine. /FAM

Doc (she/her) = Host

Franklyn (he/him) = Tulpa