community feedback survey

1 hour ago, Luigi.exe said:

I think a major issue in general is the lack of desire to make new resources, let alone review them, even when you don't factor in the issues with the old GAT and Tulpa.info.

I have guide material I haven't released yet due to the fact it's raw or unrevised. I have a rough possession guide draft floating around, but I have had issues trying to figure out how to fix it.

However, especially recently, I feel like I've struggled to focus on tulpas and churn out content. I don't have as much time as I used to have, I have focused more of my efforts on supporting my mentee, and I have run into some conflicting feelings about tulpamancy in general I need to work out on my own. My priorities have shifted, and I have spent less time thinking about tulpamancy than I used too.

Otherwise, good discussion does go on but the overall attitude towards guides is really poor. A lot of people claim guides are bad, they're killing innovation, nobody wants to read them, etc. Nobody seems checked-in so much, at least not here. I'm not sure how people feel about guides on Reddit and elsewhere though.

Also, the whole reason I'm here is to ask: what is going to happen to all the pinned GAT posts or the GAT forum section? It's... been about five months since the GAT was officially dissolved and I haven't seen any changes to the submissions section, implementation of the upvote system or anything of the like. Do note: we're not a part of the .info Discord and it's likely we're not going to have any intention of joining anytime soon if those changes were applied to the Discord and not here.

I decided to take up the responsible to get that ball rolling and I have worked on it on and off. I started by outlining what I wanted to do and after that I decided I wanted to back up everything. I quickly realized that goal was unreasonable, but I lost the motivation to work on it. Some time later, there was word Google Docs could break and I worked on trying to back-up Google Docs. I opened this thread, I made some progress with some help, and then I threw in the towel because it was too much. It looks like the update didn't break Google Docs, and after that I realized trying to back up everything has acted as an unnecessary bottle neck. I then focused this morning on checking if guides existed or not, and even that turned out to be a tedious process. While I'm about a third of the way through checking everything, I grew tired and I took a break since.

I'm pretty sure I caused the images from JD's guide to disappear. While trying to make back-ups, I added tags to mark which ones were good to go and which ones were not. I edited the post, and I think doing that triggered a glitch that ate the images. With the help of way-back machine, I was able to successfully restore the images and I attached them to the forum so they won't get lost again.

I'm not exactly sure what to do with the GAT boards. My current plan is to leave the GAT discussion board and take down what's useless, but it may be easier to archive it and talk about the changes in a Community Feedback thread. I also plan to take down most of the GAT stuff and replace it with the new policies for guide submissions. Discord, the #gat-announcements channel was archived already and all that's left is the #guide-discussion channel.

After that, the plan is to have a "community guides" board and a "drafts" board. I would like for everything in submissions (within reason) to be moved to "community guides" and for everything else to stay and become the "drafts" board. I want to have all of the policies and stuff written out first, I will need an admin's help to move everything. My goal is once we're ready to move things around, it will be quick and ready to go shortly afterwards. The slow part will be the set-up.

I can hop on VC tonight and chunk more of this out. If you would like to join me you're more than welcome too.

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Ranger said:

Otherwise, good discussion does go on but the overall attitude towards guides is really poor. A lot of people claim guides are bad, they're killing innovation, nobody wants to read them, etc. Nobody seems checked-in so much, at least not here. I'm not sure how people feel about guides on Reddit and elsewhere though.

That's funny because I read guides pretty frequently and review them at the same time. But like, I feel like my systemmates and I are the only ones who do that nowadays. Other than poor experiences with the GAT (which we've had ourselves), I don't quite understand why people are suddenly dismissing guides like that. They can be incredibly useful resources and far less overwhelming than a mob of Tulpamancers trying to teach you in a Discord channel. And I've personally read every submission on Tulpa.info, and especially in the old days, guides were a major backbone of the community.

I started by outlining what I wanted to do and after that I decided I wanted to back up everything. I quickly realized that goal was unreasonable, but I lost the motivation to work on it.

Sometimes recently, I feel like you're one of the only .info staff member to care enough about the content to do this. And especially with the state of the forum here, backing things up doesn't sound like a bad idea.

I'm pretty sure I caused the images from JD's guide to disappear. While trying to make back-ups, I added tags to mark which ones were good to go and which ones were not. I edited the post, and I think doing that triggered a glitch that ate the images. With the help of way-back machine, I was able to successfully restore the images and I attached them to the forum so they won't get lost again.

Ah, that explains it. If that's the case, you might wanna be prepared to back up any further images in the guides that have them because I know for a fact there are other guides with images in them, visualization guides in particular.  For example, this guide I reviewed a few months ago for Plural Librarium has an image in it: https://community.tulpa.info/topic/38-mental-image-rendering-guide/

12 hours ago, Ranger said:

I'm not exactly sure what to do with the GAT boards. My current plan is to leave the GAT discussion board and take down what's useless, but it may be easier to archive it and talk about the changes in a Community Feedback thread.

I agree with archiving it as kind of a historical thing. The GAT, albeit flawed, was a major part of Tulpa.info since the beginning. It's also a good idea in case far later down the line, people start repeating history and having ideas to start a new GAT, they can see the history of the previous one and why it didn't work out in the long term.

After that, the plan is to have a "community guides" board and a "drafts" board. I would like for everything in submissions (within reason) to be moved to "community guides" and for everything else to stay and become the "drafts" board.

Yeah, I was actually wondering about this earlier. Some guides are so outdated, that when I started vetting things for Plural Librarium, we made a section specifically for "historic guides," or guides that became majorly flawed specifically due to being outdated. Kind of a, "Read at your own risk," kind of thing. Guides specifically from the 2012-2014 era. Because there are definitely some approved guides that have become even harmful in their methodology as a result from when they were made, things like: switching being harder than imposition or even impossible, sentience taking a set amount of time, your tulpa has to have a PERFECT form before even starting sentience or personality, parrot your tulpa and they're doomed to be a non-sentient doll, etc.

As such, any plans for dealing with those outdated resources? I don't think they're outright worthy of being purged since a lot of them still contain useful information among the misinformation, but they need to have caution attached to them if new people wanted to read them.

I can hop on VC tonight and chunk more of this out. If you would like to join me you're more than welcome too.

VC where? I mentioned my systemmates and I aren't on the .info Discord and we don't currently have any intention of joining. We're on #Reddittulpas, though, and that has a VC channel... unless this forum has one that I'm not aware of?

Hi, I like reading guides.

I also write guides; check out my guide here:
Tulpamancy: Guide into the Strange and Wonderful

authorthingy(galaxysandhorizontal).png.63180e0a60be1f3e36943e24d1a92189.png

As such, any plans for dealing with those outdated resources? I don't think they're outright worthy of being purged since a lot of them still contain useful information among the misinformation, but they need to have caution attached to them if new people wanted to read them.

When talking to the staff about old guides, it was requested to not filter them out because of how old they are. Unless there's a guide I come across that catches my eye or a bunch of people report a guide is harmful, old guides will be moved to "Community Guides" instead of "Guide Drafts".

To make up for this, I don't think it would hurt to include in my policies and descriptions to keep in mind the context and age of guides and advice. The really really old guides like FAQ's creation guide are on the homepage and not the forums, those will stay there instead of being added to the general pool of guides.

VC where? I mentioned my systemmates and I aren't on the .info Discord and we don't currently have any intention of joining. We're on #Reddittulpas, though, and that has a VC channel... unless this forum has one that I'm not aware of?

Oh, I thought you were hinting at joining Tulpa.info. I VC'd last night, and I worked on checking if guides exist or not (and I keep finding that a good handful of them are gone unfortunately). That's my first priority now, but after that I can update this thread once I get to writing out the new policies. I think being transparent about this process will be for the better.

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

On 8/15/2021 at 1:17 AM, Luigi.exe said:

This is exactly the kind of thing I think should be avoided. Having a single person be an authority on something so inherently subjective is bound to have issues

Ah yes, because people can't just gang up together and destroy another's opinion, right?
Everyone is fair and every opinion is weighted equally, right?

Doesn't work that way. Since ancient history there always has been one at the summit. All the major corporation of yesterday and today have one person at the helm, with perhaps a few advisors on the side.

Democracy is a mistake and the saddest part is that it gives the people a false sense of "worth" and it makes them think that their opinion matters.

Protip: in any case, in any situation, it doesn't. But I digress

You do your thing Ranger and Pleeb with the GAT system, but keep in mind the past mistakes and remember that the community is super niche (even when you forcefully include did/traumas etc.), my best advice is to remove any and all "evaluation systems" and just have someone that gives a "light touch" of moderation on what comes on - doesn't require much, just something to filter out the noise and the obviously bad/harmful guides.

Edited by ohItsMatt

Join my Discord server , old-style tulpamancing / lucid dreaming / meta, newcomers welcome! (and discussion encouraged)

(server is kinda dead, ping the #front-man role if you need support)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

[My Guide][Useful #1] [Useful #2] | [1]

20 hours ago, ohItsMatt said:

Democracy is a mistake and the saddest part is that it gives the people a false sense of "worth" and it makes them think that their opinion matters.

Uh... yikes? You do realize power corrupts without others to give a person in power a reality check or, y'know, to limit that power? You do realize said top corporations are literally killing the planet and their workers for an arbitrary currency because there's one top dog that doesn't give a damn about anyone else but themselves and their rich friends? And like, that false sense of worth bit is legit gross, dude. People do have worth, even if they're not contributing because they're goddamn living human beings, working or not. Opinions do matter, diversity matters. Without it, we'd be trapped in the dogmatic circle of groupthink (which is a VERY real thing in tight-knit communities like this one), and I don't know about you, but I do value the opinions and experiences of people in this community.

20 hours ago, ohItsMatt said:

...and it makes them think that their opinion matters.

Wouldn't that mean that your opinion also doesn't matter with this logic? Who died and made you the king of Tulpamancy?

You can't have a single person be the authority on something so subjective, so inherent to human experience, a thing that can literally never be objectified. You just can't because every single Tulpamancer and tulpa's experience with Tulpamancy is fundamentally different because every brain is fundamentally different in one way or another.

It's a good thing to have diverse ideas, groups that connect and share things without being too tight-knit to accept new ideas. There's a great video about it here that I really suggest you watch to better understand why diversity and connections are crucial:

21 hours ago, ohItsMatt said:

You do your thing Ranger and Pleeb with the GAT system, but keep in mind the past mistakes and remember that the community is super niche (even when you forcefully include did/traumas etc.)

When did we ever start "forcefully" including DID/OSDD and traumagenic systems? We're not forcing them here and they're not forcing us there. I have no goddamn clue where that idea came from.

Anyway, my point: diversity is crucial, people cooperating and working together is crucial. We should all be uplifting each other, not shoving one another down the pit of "no worth."

As a newcomer both to tulpamancy and this forum/community, we can't weigh in on what has gone on in the past, but having a group of people that check through guides and approve them before adding to the website officially sounds like a great idea to us? It helps to weed out anything that's potentially dangerous or harmful from slipping through the cracks. If it's a group of people trusted by the community then we have no issue them giving a stamp of approval before something's added to canon, as it were. As a new user it means "X number of people who know more about this stuff than we do approve of this, so we can have faith in this guide". As opposed to some random post on a blog somewhere we might have stumbled across, which there is no way of telling if it's good advice or not.

Doc (she/her) = Host

Franklyn (he/him) = Tulpa

1 hour ago, Etna said:

As a newcomer both to tulpamancy and this forum/community, we can't weigh in on what has gone on in the past, but having a group of people that check through guides and approve them before adding to the website officially sounds like a great idea to us? It helps to weed out anything that's potentially dangerous or harmful from slipping through the cracks. If it's a group of people trusted by the community then we have no issue them giving a stamp of approval before something's added to canon, as it were. As a new user it means "X number of people who know more about this stuff than we do approve of this, so we can have faith in this guide". As opposed to some random post on a blog somewhere we might have stumbled across, which there is no way of telling if it's good advice or not.

The GAT has indeed failed as a system despite the initial idea sounding appealing on a leaf of paper. One primary reason for this is the GAT's (typically with specific members) consistent behavior in allowing their own biases to determine whether or not they disapprove the guide instead of the guide's true content, grammatical work, or if harmful misinformation is present. Imposing one's own generalizations upon a subjective practice is quite closed-minded and not ideal for a practice such as Tulpamancy.

There is a difference between disapproving a guide because it recommends the reader to cease taking their medication (this is indeed a tidbit in a guide on this forum that my host had once reviewed) and a guide that has a preference for using symbolism, even if the methods are articulate, clear, and feasible. It also does not assist that there are no figureheads or "leaders" of the community and that the Tulpamancy community is decentralized (though we of the Dragonheart System actually do not mind this community nature, as it prevents dogma and ill-intentioned people from rising to power akin to the previous community figurehead), thus there is no true hub of the community.

Blogs can be reliable in the specific circumstance that they provide sources and typically have been present in the community for multiple years; we own a blog that has posted several guide reviews to it using our gained knowledge from standing within this community for nearly four years and our host's time spent crafting a 120-page long Tulpamancy guide for nearly four years now.

I would have answered to that guy properly if he had a good grasp of politics and sociology, but that's not the case so whatever.

Anyways @Etnathe reason it is not such a good idea (and it has been proven) is that people tend to have very different views and opinions on anything related to tulpamancing, often shaped by the desire to maintain the status quo.

The tulpamancing approach one can take is highly subjective and there's no definitive guide for anything, since even the "tried and tested" methods cannot work at all for some people who have certain mental inclinations or are just "doubtful" of what is being taught to them.

Plus I have seen over and over again good guides "rejected" because they didn't fit certain criteria or simply because the gat members were holding a grudge against the creator of the guide.

Again, I've seen who was in there and knowing the majority of them in all honesty probably two, maybe three of the names in that list have what it takes to be a valid gat member, both in terms of skill, knowledge and judgement.

Hopefully in the future they will do things different, one might argue that given the current state of the community (forcefully inclusive to did/similar and 1/10th the size and activity of what it used to be in 2012/2013) there's no need to have an evaluating system at all in the guides section. Just let everyone post and have the mods remove the obvious spam and trolls.

Join my Discord server , old-style tulpamancing / lucid dreaming / meta, newcomers welcome! (and discussion encouraged)

(server is kinda dead, ping the #front-man role if you need support)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

[My Guide][Useful #1] [Useful #2] | [1]

3 hours ago, ohItsMatt said:

I would have answered to that guy properly if he had a good grasp of politics and sociology, but that's not the case so whatever.

Hm, so by me simply saying that power can corrupt and that humans inherently have worth because they are living people apparently means I have no grasp on sociology and politics? Okay, whatever helps you sleep at night, man. I don't see you providing any well thought-out arguments, and that's why people like you are the last people who should have any authority. Oh, and thanks for misgendering me.

you don't list your pronouns and your profile's gender is "undisclosed", so you get the "gender neutral he/him" lol

---

and I just wanted to say, there's no innate reason a single GAT member could do the job that a whole group can't, since if one person can be trusted then any number can be trusted, but I guess if you just think not enough viable people exist at once to make a group... but still why not a 2-3 person group instead of just 1, even then?

Edited by Lucilyn

Hi, I'm one of Lumi's tulpas! I like rain and dancing and dancing in the rain and if there's frogs there too that's bonus points.

I think being happy and having fun makes life worth living, so spreading happiness is my number one goal!

Talk to us? https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

• Ranger unpinned this topic