Only posts in "On-topic boards" count towards your posts. Forum Games, Lounge and I think some other boards' posts are excluded from the count. Otherwise, @Breloomancer would have over 24,000 posts instead of the actual 512, nearly all of which were fluff and not really worthy of incrementing the post count.

It's unfortunate that some Lounge discussion can be pretty on-topic and doesn't count as posts, like our entire Ask/Q&A thread, but that's just how it is. Otherwise, posts in the post pictures of clouds thread would count the same as replying to Beginner Questions General.

Edited by Luminesce

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

15 hours ago, Piņki said:

That doesn't make sense. Why do some posts “count” more than others?

Because they do? Again, it would be nice if there were a way to make exceptions for "on-topic off-topic" threads like user Q&A/Ask threads, but that's really impractical and biased.

I personally don't want to see Bre's post count as 25,000 when she replies to a General Discussion thread, nor do I want to see someone's post count as 1000 when they've only posted in on topic boards literally once (this isn't even that uncommon)

Maybe it would be cool if, when viewing a thread within off-topic boards, users' posts showed all of their total posts, while in on-topic boards it showed their on-topic posts (and profiles would show On/Off-Topic counts separately)

However, that's not how it is, and I can think of a LOT more changes I'd make if we had that much control over how the forum software worked

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

• 2 weeks later...

That's literally what post counts exist for, to show you how much someone's contributed on the forum. The reason forums even mark boards as "off-topic" in the first place is to avoid them incrementing post count. It's literally just how forums work, it was not an invention of the admins of this site.

I think the reason we may not see eye to eye is that Tulpa.info has always had a duality between being a place for information, but also naturally becoming a place for community. Being Tulpa.info though, staff has always put the information side before the community side, standing by the info as the point of the site and the community as an important yet not-primary focus. Assuming this - and feel free to have the admins weigh in - is why post count is focused on "on-topic" threads and excludes "off-topic" posts from the count.

Edited by Luminesce

I'm not an admin, but you called for staff.

I don't feel good about ",." counting as a genuine post. Forum games get pretty spammy, and if those posts suddenly needed to be treated seriously, I think the rules would also need to get more strict. Otherwise, post count would be less meaningful as a guage for how much someone contributes to the serious discussion on the forum. I have 800 posts in the first to 1000 posts forum game, but like Bre's fluff posts they're pretty lame compared to the posts in this thread and even other Lounge threads.

It would be really confusing to see Bre having a huge post number and realizing that came from LOTPW and not on-topic or even off-topic discussion. I think as a new user it's important to know who contributes to more of the on-topic discussion. While it's not a perfect gage for experience, a high post count usually correlates with a more experienced tulpamancer or tulpa.

I'm less opposed to having Lounge posts also count given that it is still mostly serious discussion. However, for every dedicated Lounge thread with interesting content there's my cloud thread...

I think it would be cool to have an "all posts" listing so you could compare the two post numbers. It would also give you more information about the user. Heck, I think 10 or 15 off-topic posts could even be used as a benchmark for someone getting a signature, especially since a lot of new users are starting to post in LOTPW (Right now it doesn't matter, but if we needed to limit signatures to those who achieve post milestones this could be helpful).

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

• Guest changed the title to .