I think we may be a gateway system, but I am not certain

R8-Adelia_Wildhome

I apologize if this isn't the correct place for this, but if you are going to move it, please notify me so I know where to go, thanks! 

So I think we might be a gateway system, or soulbounds, or possibly a combination.

My understanding of a gateway system: A system that A) has connections to other realms, and the head-mates are able to enter and exit those realms as they please, and B) A system that is mainly comprised of non-permanent walk-in head-mates. 

Soulbounds I don't totally understand, but something I saw (on a Wikki,) seemed to depict them as more permanent. 

why we might be a gateway system: 

We have had a looooottt of head-mates through the ages. Around 10+ different ones, and some who "changed" completely. Now where did they go? I... don't know. Some of them, we decided they were going to explore the real world because my mind wasn't suited for them, sometimes this was "the real world" other times they would go other places, I'm not certain where, but they weren't in my mind any more. Ethel has lots of memories from another dimension. She keeps remembering more, and some are becoming clearer. We realllllyyy easily get walk-ins who I basically invalidate so much they disappear.* These can simply be characters who I attach to and begin to have conversations with, or just a pretty Pinterest drawing character. Sometimes they are simply made-up characters in my mind, but other times they seem to actually have a mind of their own. And for the second, no matter how hard I try, we can't (typically) keep a head-mate for over a few months, some are exceptions. I have only truly done the technical tulpa creation process for... two. Two tulpas. One who was a merge, and my first tulpa. 

We are a completely endogenic system, but I think that they can still be gateway systems. 

I have some questions/concerns about being a gateway system. The following could be interpreted as invalidating gateway systems,  I am not trying to do that, I just do that sometimes to myself.

Questions

-What are other gateway systems experiences? 

-Are there any things that could also be considered gateway system "things"? 

-Does it sound like I am a part of a gateway system? 

-Is it normal that even though I could be a gateway system, we also struggle with possession and switching? 

-I can't do anything that the others can do (portal-going wise), because I am the host. Is that correct?

Concerns: 

I feel like I might just be faking this... like I know I'm not faking any of my experiences, and I feel so connected to this concept, but there's the little voice in the middle of my mind that shouts "your just faking this!! You can't be a part of a gateway system!!!" 

I do connect to the term, but it also makes me a little nervous, I feel really attached to my current head-mates, and I don't want them to leave. 

*I don't know how to stop this behavior. I have no idea how many head-mates I would have if I let them be, but they do leave naturally, especially when there is more than three of us. And being a bigger system feels so natural and comforting. (This is connecting to my other * in which I said "We realllllyyy easily get walk-ins who I basically invalidate so much they disappear.") 

I haven't always noticed this at the time it's happening, but looking back I can see plenty of examples. I used to just blame this on having a big imagination, and so I would "imagine" they went on a trip to spain, or had lots of memories that even I couldn't come up with. Of course, there's a 40-50% chance that this is just me having a big imagination. 

do I even understand what a gateway system is? Is it even fair for me to possibly consider myself part of one? 

Closing/tl;dr: 

I might be a part of a gateway system, a term I really connect to, but I do have skeptical feelings about myself being one. I'm not even sure I understand what they are. From my understanding, I match it, but from another's understanding, I might not be it at all. I think that since I connect to this in a way I don't normally connect to something, it could be a sign. (Why I think I am a gateway system: We are super prone to walk-ins, and have had a LOT of head-mates who were pretty short-term. They also went just... away. Like into a different realm, as I "imagined") 

I would really appreciate some feedback and guidance about this. I can give more information on any of these things, just ask. 

Thanks to anyone who responds : ) 

(After more reading on soulbounds, I do not believe we are soulbounds, but someone else might believe otherwise. 

Host of @SadieShores 

R8/Adelia ask/any/she

Sadie (I use varying shades of pink) she.her

Ethel he/they/she idc

Luna! She/her/bug/bugs 

"try to be a rainbow in someone else's cloud"  

check this out: Progress report 

Interesting. I don't believe I have heard this term before. I have had the perception of similar experiences, so it makes me wonder a bit about what it is, too.

I am lost as well, though, so I am sorry that I do not provide any useful information. I also have had a big imagination, and have interacted with characters that seem to come and go. Alternatively, having other entities comment or interact to a situation. I have always assumed it is my imagination, though, but then there are more powerful experiences in rare instances that make me not as sure, and go a bit beyond what seems like normal imagination.

Creation for creation's sake.

Ranger
(edited)

I'm not super familiar with how Gateway Systems are defined or how they operate either.

According to Blossom, a definition bot/site, I think Gateway systems helped create (I copied and pasted this definition from a server I was in, I think Blossom has now been deleted)

A system in which the innerworld is perceived as a real place somewhere, or a (usually) large system with members predominantly from metaphysical origins, often coming and going as they please.

According to what you described and this definition, I think you are more than welcome to call yourself a gateway system.

However, I think the main defining trait of a gateway system is having a strong metaphysical understanding of how their system works. If that concept doesn't feel right, you may be uncomfortable with the label.

In the system chat channel of the tupperbox support server, I met a few gateway systems there. I'm sure they can do a way better job explaining what it means to be a gateway system than I can.

I also met another gateway system in a different place, but they see themselves as different from others. If you're interested, I'll ask them if they're okay with chatting and I'll give you their contact info in DMs.

If you decide to try out the label here, feel free. Please keep meta focused topics in the Metaphysics and Parapsychology board please.

Edited by Ranger

I'm Ranger, Gray's/Cat_ShadowGriffin's tulpa, and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff.

My other headmates have their own account now.

Temporary Log | Switching LogcBox | Yay! | Bre Translator

R8-Adelia_Wildhome
(edited)
4 hours ago, Ranger said:

However, I think the main defining trait of a gateway system is having a strong metaphysical understanding of how their system works. If that concept doesn't feel right, you may be uncomfortable with the label.

I would describe our system as having some metaphysical  "things", not necessarily origins, but like astral projection for creation, just being into metaphysical things as a whole, and I could probably try to think of some more. I don't totally know what qualifies as metaphysical and what doesn't. 

From what I was reading about them: 

Gateway systems are non-pathological systems that are usually made up of Walk-ins.

The gateway system members, while away from the front, lead their own lives in an “alternate world(s)”, often seen metaphysically as a parallel plane of existence. The term is also used to describe systems who often receive members from these alternate worlds, even if those members cannot go back to those worlds. This alternate world or worlds often rival the outerworld in complexity, with large populations, detailed histories, elaborate cultures, etc. 

I think we can relate to most/all of this, but I will be talking to some other systems that identify as a gateway. I believe there are some on the tulpa forums discord server. 

4 hours ago, Ranger said:

If you decide to try out the label here, feel free. Please keep meta focused topics in the Metaphysics and Parapsychology board please.

If I want to post questions should I post them there? And on the discord should I ask about gateway systems in meta or just general tulpa questions? 

Edited by Ranger
Made white text readable

Host of @SadieShores 

R8/Adelia ask/any/she

Sadie (I use varying shades of pink) she.her

Ethel he/they/she idc

Luna! She/her/bug/bugs 

"try to be a rainbow in someone else's cloud"  

check this out: Progress report 

Ranger
8 minutes ago, R8-Adelia_Wildhome said:

If I want to post questions should I post them there? And on the discord should I ask about gateway systems in meta or just general tulpa questions? 

I don't think there's a meta channel for the tupperbox support server, there's just the one channel for systems to chat in without getting mixed up with roleplayers. As for Tulpa.info, asking if you are a gateway system or not isn't a meta topic, but asking a specific question like "Does anyone else know how to astral project to such and such dimension" would be.

I'm Ranger, Gray's/Cat_ShadowGriffin's tulpa, and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff.

My other headmates have their own account now.

Temporary Log | Switching LogcBox | Yay! | Bre Translator

• 2 weeks later...
Jamie
(edited)

Gateway systems are firmly on the chunibyo side of plural experiences. There is a long rabbit hole that goes to some strange and unhealthy places. No one who describes themselves as a gateway system is having what I'd call a sane relationship with plurality. 

On paper it might be described like this: 

Gateway systems are non-pathological systems that are usually made up of Walk-ins.

The gateway system members, while away from the front, lead their own lives in an “alternate world(s)”, often seen metaphysically as a parallel plane of existence. The term is also used to describe systems who often receive members from these alternate worlds, even if those members cannot go back to those worlds. This alternate world or worlds often rival the outerworld in complexity, with large populations, detailed histories, elaborate cultures, etc.

In practice it is this: 

>person is a roleplayer/fandom writer/compulsive daydreamer/etc

>They get into plurality/tulpamancy/DID culture but know they don't have DID

>The idea of "My characters are real people" is alluring

>They know their characters/OCs aren't like people's tulpas and so on that live in the real world and have real-world standards applied to them, and they also know maybe people will frown on them if they have a rotating large cast of characters/OCs coming in and out of their system

>"It's not roleplay! My mind is a magical gateway into infinite dimensions! In some of these dimensions, all my favorite characters/my own OCs are all REAL, and they have traveled through some means to my head! The REAL John-loving Sherlock from my favorite fanfic is REAL and he lives with me, and he dates the John that lives in my head!"

I have known several gateway systems. I was pretty tolerant of it for a time (Who am I to "gatekeep"?) until I really started to see how there's this circlejerk toward "It's real, it's real, it's all really real!" Real with no backing, no substance. As in, whatever happened in their canonical lives (the manga, fanfic, movie, self-authored story, etc) was a 100% real event that just happened in an alternative timeline/dimension. I have had a gateway system headmate tell me that the rape that happened to him in their manga was the same as a specific real-person's rape, that they were equally rape survivors. That was the point I stopped being so tolerant. 

I was even in a Discord specifically for gateway systems at one brief point (I just lurked- the invite had been posted publicly.) Everyone was really off-the-rails about how they/their headmate are a REAL wolf/Sherlock/princess/tortured soul/brilliant artist, but their magic powers maybe just didn't translate through the dimensional-transfer process. 

It's a real "You can't prove a negative!" situation. "You can't prove I wasn't just in another dimension living my life as a real princess while you weren't looking, and now I've traveled dimensions to live in your head!" You're right. Logic can't touch that. It's just silly. 

Why would it work like that?

Some off-topic discussion about gateway systems possibly being roleplay developed here. If you would like to see the resulting thread, please go here. -Ranger

Edited by Ranger

The world is far, the world is wide; the man needs someone by his side. 

Our Thread

• Ranger locked this topic
  • Ranger unlocked this topic