Can I trade photo-realism for consistency?

neo

I have been practicing both visualization and imposition for a long time now and so far I have only used photo-realistic references. While I can visualize realistically, it has not become easy or comfortable enough to just have it there. I've seen people say they got to full on imposition quicker than me and I was wondering if the reason for this is the anime/cartoon style characters that may be way less taxing on the mind to keep consistent.
So I was wondering if by switching to visualizing in anime style I would be able to make it more consistent or lighter to visualize? Or would it be a better strategy to just increase the number of details so it increases my tolerance overall?
I would prefer it to have it be realistic in the long run but I'm tired of it being a struggle and I wanna just impose and chill a bit for now if it's going to take a while to archive full on photo-realistic imposition like I originally intended. The weird thing it's that I can impose realistically but it still feels like I'm trying to juggle and do math at the same time.
Any advice is appreciated.

Imposition is a very long and tedious process in my knowledge, so I don't think anyone got there quickly. Also, I don't think type, visually accurate vs anime, would matter very much.

Lastly, try not to compare yourself to others. You don't know what they have and what their history was, they may have inadvertently been practicing for years.

18 minutes ago, BearBeaBeau said:

Imposition is a very long and tedious process in my knowledge, so I don't think anyone got there quickly. Also, I don't think type, visually accurate vs anime, would matter very much.

My experience so far with imposition has been a little different than most people seem to have. I have found ways to trigger the experiences very vividly very early but from then on all I did was slowly learn to control them and be comfortable with it. It's working so far but I don't get when is it supposed to be easy enough that I can just do that automatically. Maybe it's like a language that takes 2 or more years so you can just do it without thinking too much about it

18 minutes ago, BearBeaBeau said:

Lastly, try not to compare yourself to others. You don't know what they have and what their history was, they may have inadvertently been practicing for years.

I guess I shouldn't, it's hard to not do that at this level because I'm so close to what I wanted but that last stretch of making it a chill and comfy experience could mean any amount of time.

I'm happy with my imposition and I never formally practiced it, it spontaneously occurred alongside normal forcing.

If you take that statement and think about it, it might drive you nuts and wondering why it's so much trouble for you.

Let me add then: I see nothing, hear nothing and touch nothing real during imposition.

Now you're thinking, that's not imposition, that's just overlaying visualization.

You're right, but the memories of the event are identical with memories of real life. This is good enough for me, requires zero effort, builds valid experience and is very satisfying.

Granted my visualization is superb, and I'm completely satisfied with it, there is more. In hypnagogic visions, it's beyond anything I can imagine and the memories of it don't do it justice. I'd love to experience that on demand, but it's fleeting and rare.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

7 minutes ago, BearBeaBeau said:

You're right, but the memories of the event are identical with memories of real life. This is good enough for me, requires zero effort, builds valid experience and is very satisfying.

I remember reading you talk about that before. Lately I have tried to use the sculpting technique to ground myself in real memories in search of covering the grounds that I may have previously ignored. My strategy towards imposition is to cover all possible sides.
I did that and after like 30 or so minutes I experienced being completely grounded my own presence inside the memory. I could see a bunch of bubbles everywhere and remember a lot of visual stuff quite easily, it feels very similar to a dream. But I felt very nauseated and dizzy afterwards, I'm sure if I try that again it's going to be the same.
But for me it's like, if I pay attention to whatever I'm doing, it turns to 200% and it becomes tiring and overwhelming, if I don't pay attention to it it dissipates completely. So there's no middle ground I can stand on.

imposing simpler things like geometric shapes or simplified and stylized versions of objects can be easier than more detailed things and is a good way to build up your skills so that you can better render more detailed and complex things

I have a tulpa named Miela who I love very much.

"People put quotes in their signatures, right?"

-Me

10 minutes ago, Breloomancer said:

imposing simpler things like geometric shapes or simplified and stylized versions of objects can be easier than more detailed things and is a good way to build up your skills so that you can better render more detailed and complex things

I practiced a lot with a spoon previously so I can impose the hell out of it if only my tulpa was a spoon.
Maybe I'll try to keep it simple for a week or so and see if it gets any easier.

People may get this quicker because they're naturally skilled or talented at visualizing, and/or their brains are just very open to these experiences. For others it'll take longer, for those with poor visualization it'll take much longer.

If you'd like to try different styles for your visuals, you can, though I'm not sure it'll make a huge difference in the long run. And if you don't like those styles, I really wouldn't recommend it. Practice in more ways should help, though - like Bre said, visualizing and/or imposing other objects (and senses), and just frequent practice, should make a big difference. Visualizing/imposing your tulpas in different activities than normal can also help (as a very basic/early but nonetheless useful example, I often recommend walking around your imposed tulpa to engage with their imposed forms in 3D space and exercise your brain a bit viewing different angles - this should theoretically work great for visualization too).

Rather than switch from photorealistic to a simpler reference, simply getting practice with all of the above (many different styles, objects, activities, and so on) would likely give the best results. The end result can still be entirely focused on photorealistic appearances.

Edited by Luminesce

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

27 minutes ago, Luminesce said:

People may get this quicker because they're naturally skilled or talented at visualizing, and/or their brains are just very open to these experiences. For others it'll take longer, for those with poor visualization it'll take much longer.

I realize that there are people that just do this their entire lives, but the way I see it is that, if I can already get like a 5 to 10 second perfect imposition after warming up a little, so my brain clearly knows how to do that. So lately I have been trying to do that while relaxing more and more while trying to extend the duration.
I guess I was a little tired from yesterday because today it feels a little bit less tiring right now.

33 minutes ago, Luminesce said:

If you'd like to try different styles for your visuals, you can, though I'm not sure it'll make a huge difference in the long run. And if you don't like those styles, I really wouldn't recommend it. Practice in more ways should help, though - like Bre said, visualizing and/or imposing other objects (and senses), and just frequent practice, should make a big difference. Visualizing/imposing your tulpas in different activities than normal can also help (as a very basic/early but nonetheless useful example, I often recommend walking around your imposed tulpa to engage with their imposed forms in 3D space and exercise your brain a bit viewing different angles - this should theoretically work great for visualization too).

Now I'm wondering if I'm going to have to actually slowly build up every detail over time with references if I want to impose new things. I was sorta expecting that after a while doing imposition I would be able to impose other things without having to rely heavily on reference, this has been more or less the case but not to the extent I thought it would be.