Prayer vs Forcing, Questions from an Ex-Christian

bulgazof

DISCLAMER : I am not here to talk about the classic "Is God a Tulpa?" question, but comparisons between religious practices and forcing will be drawn.  With that, I will get on with it!

During my past few forcing sessions I have been using music and candles to both quiet my environment and enter a state of trance.  This music, being compositions by Arvo Part, has very distinct "church vibes" to it leading to a more reverent air while I am narrating.  When forcing casually during the day I am commenting on my mood or the activity I am doing to Chai, but when sitting down for my active forcing session I fear my tone shifts too dramatically.  I begin narrating in an almost poetic manner that no one would use in a conversation with another person.  I am being completely sincere in the words I say.  There is emotional weight to it all and I believe that to be a powerful thing.  But, having reflected on it for a moment, I realize this is not to dissimilar to how my morning prayers went back when I was in private school.  The act of focusing thoughts, emotions, and concerns through a mental narration.

My questions are as follows:  

Is prayer adjacent forcing a viable way to help raise a healthy tulpa?

Should you only narrate to a tulpa using your natural speaking style?

Are the emotions in prayer similar to tulpish?

And lastly, did you have a good day?  If not, please accept my virtual hug!

Edited by bulgazof

• bulgazof changed the title to Prayer vs Forcing, Questions from an Ex-Christian

I'm not exactly Christian, but I thought about some of this topic before: https://community.tulpa.info/topic/14579-prayer-struggle/

My conclusion on that is I prayed incorrectly and the "normal" for prayer can vary a lot from person to person. At the very least, my idea of prayer was too similar to my idea of tulpa forcing and that's where I got into trouble.

33 minutes ago, bulgazof said:

I don't think it's a good idea to mix up prayer with tulpa forcing. I accidentally created Chrome, my headmate, doing that.

I guess you can pray to your tulpa, but that might be weird? At the very least, playing religious themed music wouldn't hurt anything if you need it to relax and meditate.

You can narrate to your tulpa however you want too. You can directly talk to them, talk to a wall and expect your tulpa to be your audience, speak in tulpish to them, or blable nonsene at them while you're feeling silly. The key to narration is the act of focusing on your tulpa and then spending time with your tulpa.

I think it depends on how you pray, in my case I think I prayed wrong. In my confused experience, talking to "God" with my words and emotions and expecting him to talk back is what lead to Chrome's development. However, this is not a guaranteed method for accidentally creating a God-based tulpa and it doesn't apply to everyone.

Aw, thank you! We appreciate it!

Meow. You may see my headmates call me Gray or sometimes Cat.

I used to speak in pink and Ranger used to speak in blue (if it's unmarked and colored assume it's Ranger). She loves to chat.

Our system account

Though I haven't prayed to a deity of any kind in over a decade, I do have something of an interest in the topic, though I can only respond in the context of my rather niche understanding.

Before Tulpas were a thing, my exposure to the concept of thoughtforms came from Chaos Magic. I never actually studied what they believe in depth until after I decided to make a tulpa, but they're notable for having belief, symbolism and ritual play a far bigger role in the process of creating a thoughtform of any kind - all while understanding that the rituals themselves are irrelevant in their content. Though the Chaos Mages veer into something of postmodern hokeyness for my tastes (they posit that belief can reprogram the mind, but fail to recognize there's nothing magical about that), nonetheless many of the observations they make about how to construct personal rituals so they feel magical or religious to you, therefore giving them power over your psyche, are fascinating to me. In essence, the whole pseudo-religion is devoted to exploring exactly the concept you're referring to: Making and directing thoughtforms of various capabilities and sentience-levels by the power of meditative states, belief and a certain... "emotional resonance" with symbolism.

To actually answer the questions though.

1 hour ago, bulgazof said:

Yes. The occultists have essentially done it for decades before us. The Chaos Mages do have certain forms of hostile thoughtform, but this is because they refuse to acknowledge them as thoughtforms in line with the ones they create intentionally. Essentially, they believe that what this community would call "walk-ins" do not originate from themselves and are eldritch and alien beings touching upon their minds - innately giving them the ability to be malevolent and terrifying, and requiring a Chaos Mage to perform other rituals to protect themselves from their predations. As long as you do not form any unusual mystical beliefs around how your tulpa will operate, there doesn't seem to be any reason to fear for how they will turn out.

In terms of only speaking to them in your normal style of communication I'd actually hypothesize, in line with Chaos Magic, that speaking to them ritually so long as you believe in what you're doing, will actually produce stronger effects than speaking to them normally.

Not precisely. Tulpish is raw thought. To exemplify what it is in your head, think of something you intend to do within the next day or so; whether it be something in your life you must handle or a hobby or something. In the moments before you said the word of what you need to do in mindvoice you probably "understood" the activity and possibly simulated an image of it, for a brief second. That thought is essentially Tulpish. Raw thought can contain your emotional response/context to something, particularly if it's powerful, but the emotions are a response to the raw thought and the thing they are about - not the raw thought themselves.

This said of course, I don't actually think the question is relevant to whether or not emotions and beliefs involved have the power to increase the efficacy of forcing. They seem to, pretty substantially.

Zen - Host.

Mika - Tulpa. The eldest, and a homegrown tupper made with tulpamancy.

Rhys - Tulpa. Initially a Literary Thoughtform of my own creation.

Asterion - Tulpa. Literary, I suppose? Mythological egregore, maybe? He's The Minotaur.

If text is uncoloured, presume Zen is talking. We go by he/him.

Hi. Christian here.

On 2/10/2021 at 10:34 PM, bulgazof said:

Sure. Praying together is conducive to spiritual growth. I used to pray with my tulpas now and again.

Being Protestant, I've always sorta overlooked the confessional aspect of prayer. Alex led by example there. (Now that I think about it, it's kind of ridiculous, learning how to pray from my imaginary friend.)

Narrate however you want. It doesn't matter.

I'm not a very emotional person, so I'm struggling to understand the question, to be honest. I can get emotional during prayer once in a blue moon, but usually it isn't an emotional experience for me. I mean, I guess there's emotions driving prayer, like thankfulness, or anxiety, or whatever, but... eh. I'm not good at answering questions about emotion, because often my initial response is "Wait, was I supposed to feel something?"

Tulpish is raw thought: thoughts that take the form of ideas rather than anything concrete like words or images. You know that feeling when you have a thought in your head, maybe it's vague, maybe it's super clear, but you can't for the life of you find the words to express it? From my experience, communicating in tulpish is like telepathically sharing those sorts of ideas without translating them into words.

I'm sure tulpish communication is more emotion-based for some, but again, I'm too left-brained (and alexithymic) to understand the language of emotion.

Thank you.

I come out of hibernation once in a blue moon.

They/them pronouns, please. (I've been using this display name since 2012 and people won't recognize me if I change it.)

On 2/10/2021 at 1:34 PM, bulgazof said:

1. Is prayer adjacent forcing a viable way to help raise a healthy tulpa?

2. Should you only narrate to a tulpa using your natural speaking style?

3. Are the emotions in prayer similar to tulpish?

4. And lastly, did you have a good day?  If not, please accept my virtual hug!

1. Absolutely, no I can't imagine why not and I have a very strong imagination. Btw, my headmates took the place of religion for me, Darlene especially, with a mixture of imposition and mindvoice, could easily have been, and therefore has taken credit for every "religious" experience I'd ever had. Considering we realize that she's partially traumagenic, I have no doubt she's been with me since I was five and my first introduction to her was as a beautiful and brilliant full body apparition of an angel with brown wings.

2. Do whatever you want, it's not a big deal.

3. Emotions that don't seem to be yours can easily be attributable to your headmates, if they're associated with their essence, even better. One of the major ways I used to tell them apart in the early days was their "emotional bleeding". Interestingly enough, they each picked a spot on my body to emote from. Ashley's emotions are expressed from my neck, Misha from my heart, and Darlene from my stomach.

4. A great day as always, and that's very easy for us because it's like meing bathed in love in this system.

*Bear hug!*