Weird experience with "astral projection"... (And how I did it)

neo

1 hour ago, HollowHaw said:

For the record it does help with sense of touch if nothing else, though this is preceived more as a second sense than as my real one, if that makes any sense.

Yep I know exactly what you're talking about. That was the first thing I noticed too. Which leads me to believe you're almost there because it was short after that happened that I learned to detach the perspective. But you have to create a strong unconscious expectation that you're going to leave the body and then just ride that feeling. If you just "try" to do it, it doesn't work. Because you're going to feel like you're trying rather than doing it. You should try to invoke the feeling that you're already doing it in order for it to happen. 
Does that make sense? It's really weird explaining that.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kind of hard to invoke a feeling I have not yet felt :p

I guess what you are saying kinda makes sense, but idk how to achieve that.

Maybe the issue is finding out how to get senses other than sight and touch on board? Like hearing, smell, gravity/orientation, etc?

Possibly unrelated but this morning I had a lot of dreams due to sleeping in and the strangest thing happened, I kept acting out irl the last actions I would take in a dream before waking up. Like I tripped in one and irl I shot out my arms to catch myself lol.

On 2/10/2021 at 9:03 PM, neo said:

I don't really believe in metaphysics stuff but today I did experience something that I think a lot of people would describe as being "astral projection". The reason this isn't in the metaphysics category is because it's not really metaphysics to me after all, or at the very least it doesn't require any sort of meta assumptions in order to experience this phenomena. So let me describe here the process and if there's someone that has done this before please tell me if this is the same thing as what they call "astral projection". Or even if you're skeptic like me you can still experience this phenomena and it may help if you're struggling with wonderland immersion like I was.
I started by sitting down and closing my eyes, then started to rub my hands together in front of my face and trying to keep my awareness focused on the shape of my hands and arms in front of me. Slowly keeping track of their position and "sculpting" my own arms to get a real good memory of their shape and how it feels to move them without opening my eyes.
Then afterwards I rested my right hand by the side of my body and started to use just the memory of a minute ago to move an imaginary right arm and interact with the real left arm. So it became left arm real, right arm imaginary.
Then I proceeded to sculpt the imaginary right arm with the real one, and then the real one using the imaginary right arm. Going vice versa back and forth.
Then I rested my left arm also by my side and started using both imaginary arms to sculpt each other.
After a couple minutes of that I just put both imaginary hands on the back of my head as if I was going to do a sit up and I just yanked my perspective back by pushing my real head forward with my imaginary arms and immediately started sculpting the back of my head from that new perspective as if my real head was outside of me, then the rest of my real body. I felt completely removed from my body by keeping awareness of it from an outsider perspective, the longer I sculpted my body the more removed I felt from it, and the more intense and overwhelming the sensation of being outside became, it's even a little scary. it's very different from daydreaming and even imposition. Never experienced anything similar and I am now able to recreate this experience this way whenever I want. It doesn't last a lot at first because it's quite overwhelming but that only makes it seem more consistent with other peoples "astral projection" reports that I've seen so far. If this is the same as astral projection then I'm curious as to what to do next. I'm also pretty sure this can be used to force by having your tulpa sculpt you while looking through their perspective as well.
Anyway feel free to share any info you may have on the subject or your own experience with this stuff. I'm quite interested to see what else is there to explore even though I don't really believe in the meta stuff I'm still interested in experiencing these kind of phenomena.

Hey I got a couple curious queries for you, if you don't mind;

Q1: Can you personally do it while listening to music?

Q2: Does any sensation from the objective body remain?

Q3: How is the consistency compared to dream/daydream states? (Like if you write down a bunch of words on paper, leave the room, and come back, does the page change?)

Q4: Does magic/dream powers still function? (Teleporting, opening portals, changing physics, etc?)

Q5: Have you tried shapeshifting in this state? 

Q6: Injuries? Does it hurt if you stab yourself?

Q7: Can anything pull you out of it? (An alarm, a bug landing on your face, etc..)

Q8: Do felt experiences feel like Objective experiences do, or does it have that remote control/secondary sense feel?

That's all for now. Look forward to your response! :)

1600461031300.jpg

18 hours ago, HollowHaw said:

Hey I got a couple curious queries for you, if you don't mind;

No problem.

Q1: Can you personally do it while listening to music?

I didn't use music but I do use ambience sounds sometimes, white/red noise, rain sounds and anything with a 3dio mic can really be good. If it has lyrics it will probably make you daydream instead, but if it's just instrumental I don't see why not.

Q2: Does any sensation from the objective body remain?

No, it becomes faint at first and then gone after a couple minutes. But sometimes you lose concentration and go back to your normal awareness by accident. But the perspective is pretty much like being somewhere else entirely.

Q3: How is the consistency compared to dream/daydream states? (Like if you write down a bunch of words on paper, leave the room, and come back, does the page change?)

In daydreaming you just get to consciously decide whatever happens at every point, in this kind of experience the things more behave in a way that you would expect they do on an unconscious level. Like if you see a cat it's probably not going to fly away, it's going to behave like a cat. It's possible to just change the whole experience but it's not under your immediate conscious control. It obeys more what you feel that it is, rather than what you want it to be. But whatever it's outside the boundaries of your immediate perception is bound to change, if you go from one room to the other it may become day all of a sudden or the layout of the house changes. The information is not magically persistent at a detailed level, at least not more it would on a conscious level of daydreaming.

Q4: Does magic/dream powers still function? (Teleporting, opening portals, changing physics, etc?)

Yes but on a different unconscious level, it obeys your emotional state more. And sometimes it will happen without you trying to do those things.

Q5: Have you tried shapeshifting in this state? 

Not really. Only in regular daydreaming.

Q6: Injuries? Does it hurt if you stab yourself?

I don't think so. I very dubious of anybody that says they can impose or hallucinate that kind of pain. The reason for this is that our brains are trained by evolution to not remember how pain feels like, this is why mothers often forget the pain of childbirth. That said I had dreams where I got hurt and, while it didn't hurt per se in the same way it would IRL, I did feel something uncomfortable. Like I dream where you jump from a high place and wake up with like a slightly shocking sensation coming from your feet. I think that if you expect to feel pain you will probably feel some uncomfortableness at least. But I avoid that and it has not been a problem so far.

Q7: Can anything pull you out of it? (An alarm, a bug landing on your face, etc..)

Yes, very much so.

Q8: Do felt experiences feel like Objective experiences do, or does it have that remote control/secondary sense feel?

It feels like you're experiencing them objectively, but not in the same quality. But the memories of it are very similar to real memories as well.

That's all for now. Look forward to your response! :)

I hope that was clarifying, feel free to ask any questions.

Edited by neo

21 minutes ago, neo said:

I don't think so. I very dubious of anybody that says they can impose or hallucinate that kind of pain. The reason for this is that our brains are trained by evolution to not remember how pain feels like, this is why mothers often forget the pain of childbirth. That said I had dreams where I got hurt and, while it didn't hurt per se in the same way it would IRL, I did feel something uncomfortable. Like I dream where you jump from a high place and wake up with like a slightly shocking sensation coming from your feet. I think that if you expect to feel pain you will probably feel some uncomfortableness at least. But I avoid that and it has not been a problem so far.

I know I have at least personally experienced rather horrible pains in dreams after being injured, so maybe it changes from person to person.

24 minutes ago, neo said:

Not really. Only in regular daydreaming.

Alright. Well, it is certainly something I will try it if I can ever get to that level, it is one of my favourite things to do. If you ever do give it a shot, please do let me know what it is like compared to the standard daydreaming experience!

So another thing I wonder about is how clear the visual experience is. 

Is your FOV the same as IRL?

Is depth perception present? (I find this is one of the biggest differences between the imagined and the real)

How is the color and texture? I find that most of the time* the imagined world kind of looks like I am looking at it through a baking wax sheet, with surface textures a little less clear, colours a bit washed out, etc.

*I just yesterday discovered a partial solution to this, but there's problems. Basically, I found I can "open" imagined eyelids, and the colors become much brighter, the lighting fidelity improves, more details are added, etc. It approaches photorealism, kind of like when you set a game's graphics from Low/Medium to Ultra.

As a consequence though, I have experienced the following artifacts:

• Decreased/inconsistent FOV

• Blurry vision. Things are still more real, but it's like my eyes are continuously focused to infinity. Really weird.

• Despawning objects/accidental teleportation/transformation/etc

• Complete destabilization. The whole thing can fall apart and kick me back to a blank. This is the worst one.

1 hour ago, HollowHaw said:

Is your FOV the same as IRL?

Is depth perception present? (I find this is one of the biggest differences between the imagined and the real)

How is the color and texture? I find that most of the time* the imagined world kind of looks like I am looking at it through a baking wax sheet, with surface textures a little less clear, colours a bit washed out, etc.

*I just yesterday discovered a partial solution to this, but there's problems. Basically, I found I can "open" imagined eyelids, and the colors become much brighter, the lighting fidelity improves, more details are added, etc. It approaches photorealism, kind of like when you set a game's graphics from Low/Medium to Ultra.

As a consequence though, I have experienced the following artifacts:

• Decreased/inconsistent FOV

• Blurry vision. Things are still more real, but it's like my eyes are continuously focused to infinity. Really weird.

• Despawning objects/accidental teleportation/transformation/etc

• Complete destabilization. The whole thing can fall apart and kick me back to a blank. This is the worst one.

Those things will vary massively during the experience and as you go further it all starts to come together a little better. The difference I would say is it's all grounded on a deeper level of awareness. I think that's what they call top down processing. You first force yourself to feel like the experience is consistent and realistic in order for it be consistent and realistic. Your brain will only reinforce the feeling/expectation you already have, not the other way around. Once it reaches a certain level of quality it becomes a self-reinforcing sensation in a sort of loop, but to get there you fist have to feel like it already is that way to begin with.

It's incredibly convoluted to explain this, I hope that makes sense.

• 1 month later...
On 2/10/2021 at 11:03 PM, neo said:

I don't really believe in metaphysics stuff but today I did experience something that I think a lot of people would describe as being "astral projection". The reason this isn't in the metaphysics category is because it's not really metaphysics to me after all, or at the very least it doesn't require any sort of meta assumptions in order to experience this phenomena. 

Astral projection is a natural occurrence; it happens every night when you dream.

You can train remote viewing, which is astral projection done while awake. The US military had a program for training this skill; the Farsight Institute is run by military RV alumni and they give away their RV training for free if you're interested in learning it.

RV and AP are skills just like tulpamancy. They're not metaphysics, they're experimental psychology.

3 hours ago, dw said:

You can train remote viewing, which is astral projection done while awake. The US military had a program for training this skill; the Farsight Institute is run by military RV alumni and they give away their RV training for free if you're interested in learning it.

I remember reading about this a long time ago. But it was in the context of the cold war when the military would spread false info about what they're researching in order to make the other countries think they have better technology or to trick them into wasting time researching something they made up, I believe this is also the reason there are so many conspiracies about the military having alien technology, because they spread those conspiracies themselves on purpose. Even in that link you provided, the second tab on the left even says "Presidential meetings with extra terrestrials". LMAO

I tried doing the thing described in the video but it just sorta looks like more elaborate version of cold reading where you make educated guesses until it closes in on what the person is thinking. With the exception that this technique allows you to cold read the person without yourself realizing that's what you're doing. It's an elaborate way to trick yourself and the other person into thinking you're low key psychic. Whenever some of those programs emphasize the aesthetics of science a little too hard it's a bit of a red flag for me, overusing words like "scientific" or the bunch of random sciency looking numbers on the screen that have no context and are just there to give the appearance of credibility.

IDK maybe if I can get empirical data that shows this can work more often than random chance or get a really specific prediction, that would be really cool. I wish stuff like that was real.