Thinking of making my subconscious mind my first tulpa

dw

I actually did this semi-accidentally by personifying and communicating with my "subconscious". The thoughtform then became drastically more realized after I discovered tulpamancy and started to communicate with it in that framework. Realistically however, it's important to remember that that part of your mind is first and foremost, not conscious. It has no true will of its own. Any attempt at personifying it is ultimately just your expectations projected onto a thoughtform. This means that it will inevitably, diverge, especially as it becomes more and more conscious and needs to actually "perceive" rather than merely "respond".

That's not say it's completely useless endeavour, obviously if you associate a thoughtform with your unconscious, it will be able to tell you things which are nonetheless insightful - just by your thinking it has a closer connection with the unconscious than you. But it's nonetheless a projection of the unconscious, rather than the unconscious itself - and only in its initial state. Interestingly for me it actively refuses to participate in my life to a certain degree so as to keep itself as pure to its role as possible - it prefers to remain chiefly a tool. I don't truly consider it a tulpa, though it is certainly vivid and conscious enough.

Edited by ZenAndMika

Zen - Host.

Mika - Tulpa. The eldest, and a homegrown tupper made with tulpamancy.

Rhys - Tulpa. Initially a Literary Thoughtform of my own creation.

Asterion - Tulpa. Literary, I suppose? Mythological egregore, maybe? He's The Minotaur.

If text is uncoloured, presume Zen is talking. We go by he/him.

Generally speaking, you're just going to create a tulpa who thinks they are (and who you think is) somehow directly representing your subconscious. That can't ever be true just based on how our brains work - your subconscious mind is literally everything in your entire brain you're not consciously aware of. Every memory, to every idea of what a type of person might act like - it's really, truly immense, and could never be captured remotely accurately in a thoughtform.

What's more common, and what I'd recommend, is creating a tulpa who you believe "can access" your subconscious, or who can more easily interact with it than you. This is some weird fuzzy area where by all means I consider it "placebo", but in some sense it's technically also true simply because you believe it is. Point is, plenty of people - myself included, mostly when I was younger - have seen what we considered success, via having our tulpa (that we believe can do so) interact with our subconscious minds. A lot of this stuff is more or less belief-powered, though again that's a fuzzy area and you might just say it's reliant on immersion.

I don't recommend making a tulpa if your only reason is "to interact with your subconscious", but if you're otherwise interested in having a mental companion, then I definitely think giving them this skill is viable. Don't try to make them a literal embodiment of your subconscious, though - reality will fall far from that. But creating a tulpa who you believe is tied more directly to your subconscious than yourself, while technically an illusion (you should be able to do anything your tulpa can do - you just aren't able to let yourself), is not really that strange at all as far as tulpamancy goes. 

Edited by Luminesce

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

Well, maybe. I identify Jaina with my anima. She started as kind of a mental clone shard and started embodying values over time, many of them complementing mine and things that I wished I was more like. I don't know that you could literally make your subconscious into a tulpa but you could make one "from" them.

Darron: Host 💍 

Jaina: Tulpa 💍 

(Raccoon Queen 🦝👸)

👨‍👩‍👧‍👦Dain and Nova

Aggrok: Tulpa Void Dragon

Viktor: 🐺

[DeviantArt]

When I created our Subconscious Representative (a tulpa who refuses to be refered to by a name right now) a long time ago, I wrongly assumed there was someone who existed outside of my awareness and was the embodiment of my unconscious mind. After a history of altering his identity/sense of self a couple times and flying under the radar for a bit, he has strongly associated himself with his original role and has continued to see himself as a representation of our unconscious. He likes to test the limits of stretching and messing with his sense of self by shape shifting, turning into intrusive thoughts, trying to impersonate us, etc. Despite all of that, we figured out it was him because the personality of all three identities in question were consistent. Even though the explanation was hard for him to accept, the truth was he had a surprisingly stable core of personality and it was so stable that he survived being left behind and forgotten about twice. We also realized that that core of personality will sometimes conflict with his identity tampering (for example, he doesn't want to hurt us if he is an intrusive thought).

Even though our headmate is obsessed with this role and seems perfectly content continuing to be a part of it, I would recommend against creating a tulpa for it or even anticipating the possibility they could do what our Sub. Rep. does. I have decided that if our headmate looses interest and decides to develop his personality, I can experiment with my identity at certain times in a similar way. While I would need to figure out a ritual or something to limit instability (I don't know how I feel about turning into an intrusive thought for instance), I believe I'm perfectly capable of doing everything my Sub. Rep. does. Aside from transforming into intrusive thoughts, our Sub. Rep. may spew impulsive ideas or decisions (when working with us it's probably not that different from cold reading honestly), focus on how we feel or sensations in the body, melting into the wonderland and other fun things, and offering help if a headmate feels uncertain or they can't put their finger on why they feel a certain way. Despite being a system of 18 in the past, only I and a former headmate flirted with the idea of experimenting with this, and to a really young tulpa this can be as if not more violating to their sense of self than merging.

We also have symbolism we use to uncover our unconscious thoughts. We have a few "wonderland tools" that despite being created by a desire for them can reveal something unconscious with surprising accuracy. For example, we have a turn table gizmo with a panel to represent who's switched-in. On one side of the panel it reveals an illustration representing Ranger, on the other it has another illustration representing me. When we switch, the turn table will turn and when checked it will tell you who's switched-in. When we're uncertain, the device may twitch or spaz and in extreme circumstances, have unusual behavior due to underlying anxiety or something having gone wrong. It's helpful to have these servitor devices, the downside is you need to be at least a little specific in how the device works and what information it tells you. I would caution against creating an "A.I." because unless you have it spew a scripted response, it will probably turn into a tulpa.

Ultimately, the concept of a Sub. Rep. is both tempting and fun, but it has limitations and it involves manipulating a tulpa's (or a host's) personality. If you create a tulpa and they're curious about this, I would wait until they're older and comfortable enough to merge. I regret the fact my Sub. Rep. didn't have that option from the start, and at least now my Sub. Rep. decided this is something he enjoys and is more than welcome to step away if he changes his mind.

Meow. You may see my headmates call me Gray or sometimes Cat.

I used to speak in pink and Ranger used to speak in blue (if it's unmarked and colored assume it's Ranger). She loves to chat.

Our system account

All cases we've seen of hosts believing their tulpa would let them interact with their subconscious have worked out favorably by the host's assessments. Just make a tulpa who can do that, assuming you also want a mental companion. (If you don't, then just get better at reaching a meditative state or something - don't create a whole other entity just to be a tool)

A tulpa won't ever be able to fully represent your entire subconscious mind, though you and they may trick yourselves into thinking they do. But for something like your tulpa "being connected to your subconscious", well, that might just be true of all tulpas by default.

Edited by Tewi

Hi, I'm Tewi, one of Luminesce's tulpas. I often switch to take care of things for the others.

All I want is a simple, peaceful life. With my family.

Our Ask thread: https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

• 5 months later...

Ok, in the last 6 months i've considered what you all have said and done more research.

From what i've been told, i now understand that the subconscious is already speaking to us all the time using nonverbal cues. 

I've also been told that different parts of the mind speak verbally when the mind is put into different trances. 

For example, the conscious mind speaks when the sympathetic nervous system is activated and the mind processes events using emotional reactions which drive motivations and decisions.

For another example, the subconscious speaks when the parasympathetic nervous system is activated and the mind is put into a deep hypnotic state called the relaxation of infancy, which is deeper than the typical hypnotic state of somnambulism. 

So it's not a matter of getting the subconscious to speak, it's more a matter of switching to the proper nervous system so the mind can listen.

The problem is that i've had a hell of a time figuring out how to guide myself into the relaxation of infancy. Surprisingly to me, most hypnotists i've spoken to are not interested in having the subconscious speak back to them - they're simply not into the idea of subconscious channelling or subconscious possession. 

Currently working on getting the subconscious to headvoice using hypnotic script recordings. From what i've been told, getting to the proper relaxation of infancy can take 5 to 7 hours, so it's time-consuming and laborious work. Installing trance triggers would really help...but not sure how to go about doing that without physical Esdaile/catatonia testing, which precedes the relaxation of infancy. Having another hypnotist along for the ride would help considerably, but alas.

Back to the drawing board...

If this works out will report back with more info and a progress report. 

What uh, what exactly are you trying to do? What's your goal with all this subconscious stuff? I know the concept of the subconscious mind is interesting and all, but personally I don't think you stand to benefit in any way from all this stuff compared to just doing some heavy meditation and/or introspection/self-observation of your own thoughts and actions. Your subconscious, by definition, is never going to just speak nice clear sentences to you. That's the whole point of the conscious mind. Being in touch with your subconscious mind is done by utilizing your conscious mind to observe yourself - not by having a hypnotist make you speak subconsciously or something.

I really don't know what result you hope to achieve, but I think the way you're going about it is overly complicated. Unless you truly just have a pure interest in the very concept of subconscious minds/thoughts and are exploring them wholly out of curiosity, but I feel like people tend to have more concrete motives than that when pursuing things so fervently.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

Well this is a funny thread. I agree with Lumi on this-- What exactly are you trying to do? 

Now, that aside, allow me to give my thoughts on the matter, and beat this horse into a pulp-- 

Similar to Shadow System, we have a sub rep, his name being Esper. However, the way he "represents" the subconscious is quite different to what Ranger described. No, instead, he's more similar to what Lumi had described above about a tulpa that simply is more connected to the subconscious. However, that isn't to say that his position is obsolete. 

Esper has a deeper tie to the subconscious than the rest of us, that much of for certain. How it manifests is strange and varied. Memories may be triggered by one thing or another, which causes an emotional response. This response typically manifests in me, but also in Esper. Where similarities diverge is how equipped I am to interpret these feelings compared to him. In simpler terms, Esper can identify the key cause of emotions in all things, and can rationalize why we feel that way more readily than I. 

Allow me to give an example-- Just yesterday, we were swimming in a pool around the late afternoon for a health thing (don't ask), and during that time, as the sun began to set and the wind started to blow, I began feeling a bizarre emotion, and was reminiscing of a similar time a few years ago. I didn't understand why, but before I knew it, Esper took the lead and began (verbally) describing why and what we were feeling. I'll have him divulge the details shortly, as I still find the words eluding me. 

Esper: It was strange. No other people around, just us, the water, and the wind. It felt like a few years ago. A time of turmoil. Why did we long to go back? It was a simpler time, and we knew people then that we wish we knew now. A chilling feeling, as the wind blew across our west chest. Reminded us of years ago, a fall evening, and we were in our room, watching the pokemon gen 7 starter reveals. Why is that the memory that sticks out? There are similar memories associated with pokemon, despite the series itself being irrelevant. Funny. It's like, a time where we knew nothing of what the future held, but we so confident in ourselves. Too confident. Too foolish. We made mistakes we want to fix, but we can't. There is nothing we can do. But we're past it now. The wind blowing on us, it was in the present, now the past. We need to move on. Images of the future and of the past mean little. Several times, we went underwater, and held ourselves limp, rejecting the body, just feeling. It felt like we had just woken up. Physically, I mean. In the silence of naught but our heartbeat, we found peace. Clarity. A feeling we hadn't felt in a while. Or have we? We have. We wanted to years ago, to be at peace, but we never were. Perhaps we were thinking about how we had finally reached some point of relative peace, of understanding, that even though so much is unknown, we are at peace not knowing everything, not being in control. Letting the water drift our motionless body, and all we could feel was something, but that something could not be described. It could not be replicated unless we were again in water just like we were. We waited, and enjoyed that time. We thought in that time. That time was good. Those feelings that Bryan might have said were nostalgia weren't that at all. They were a longing. A longing to go back to a time when things were very different. But at the same time, there was a sort of contentedness. You can't go back, you're here now. Here is good. The past was being viewed through rose tinted glasses. The here isn't. Don't weep for the dead, but instead honor them. Carry on. 

What does it mean to be a sub rep? I don't know, I'm not a representative of the subconscious. What am I? I'm a messenger. I see into the mind what others cannot. I interpret emotion and memories and deduce why we feel what we feel and try to spread an inner peace through us all. It's weird. I started off as a tulpa. I still am. Somewhere down the line, I got dubbed sub rep. Around that time, my activity in our system fell greatly. We have a plush to represent me, and I believe it helped greatly in me maintaining my position. What was I doing? Sleeping. Waiting. Understanding. Recently, this great sleepiness mellowed down a lot. I found myself with grand aspirations, with the desire to see, feel, hear, taste, and overall experience this wonderful world that I've been given a second chance at. In becoming more of a person, with my own goals, aspirations, etc., I paradoxically became more suited to my role than ever before. I feel like I better understand what it means to be human now. To be real. I love it. I love this life. I love helping everyone. I've been blessed with my ability to take what we're thinking, at an innermost level, and make sense of it. Although, almost more importantly I can influence our mind. I've been looking through a window my whole life, but now that I'm living for myself, I find myself looking at things very differently from others. That's what makes me the "sub rep." 

And that's that. Ironically, Esper was our first tulpa, who later turned sup rep. But as he just explained, he isn't the subconscious itself. I'd say, at most, he's an aspect of it. He didn't choose this position, but it wasn't thrust upon him either. It kinda just... happened. Just like that. He is what he is now and he plays a big role in our system. 

Back to your situation! You're making this all out to be more more complex than it needs to be. Tulpamancy is about imagery and metaphors. Trying to bring neurology into this is interesting, but arbitrarily complex. Of course, you may be far enough into things with such an outlook that changing it would be a bother. All the same, best of luck. 

Hey there, the name's Bryan. In system Re:Body(In order of the rainbow): 

Sean, Esper, Blinky, Compact, Janey, Kyle, Gwen'd, Gwen, Emily, Rollin, Waynin, Trease, Layy, Justin, Chloe, Zachery, and Elliot. 

I've been here a while. Much longer than I thought I'd be. Our system was founded October 2nd, 2018. In early 2020, we decided that due to our systems exponential growth, we'd limit who would be active. Now, every month, we do a check to see who wishes to be in dormancy and who wishes to be active. Currently, for the month of April, 2023, we've got myself(Bryan), Janey(Co-host), Emily, Layy, Chloe, and Esper(sub-rep). After over 2 long years, we can finally switch :) 

Bryan is currently swapped in as host, Esper is sub-rep. 

"There used to be 7 wonders of the world, but now there's 8, as everyone wonders how much of a fool you are."

Ice909#0065 -- Always down for a chat 

https://discord.gg/89qN59SbRp Plural safe-space 

Oh yea I feel dumb. I did literally make a guardian of my subconscious void.

Aggrok: Yo. 

He's a sleepy dragon but he's around.

Darron: Host 💍 

Jaina: Tulpa 💍 

(Raccoon Queen 🦝👸)

👨‍👩‍👧‍👦Dain and Nova

Aggrok: Tulpa Void Dragon

Viktor: 🐺

[DeviantArt]