Switching Schedules and Preferences

I'm aware everyone has a different switching schedule, I'm curious what your system's is and why. Are there certain reasons or advantages to having a particular schedule?

For a good while, our switching schedule was whenever Ranger wanted some time, Ranger would switch in for a few hours, sometimes for a day and at rare times ~36-48 hours. He was nervous around my family and he could finish whatever in a relatively short period of time. He used to switch out early, even if it was inconvenient, just to avoid my parents (and honestly I can't blame him for that). Before that our switching was more chopped up because Ranger had class, but it was similar to this because of how Ranger would switch in and switch out. This was also when we were first switching, and at times he couldn't handle more than a couple hours.

Now that Ranger is more comfortable being around my parents, feels comfortable being switched-in for longer periods of time, and we have a work schedule, avoiding my parents is no longer as important as the convenience of waking up the next day. Ranger and I figured out we like having lots of time to stabilize (at least 30 minutes), so we want to minimize the number of times we switch (and it's also why we have procrastinated on learning instant switching).

Since we agreed to share our work schedule, we wanted to try daily switches so we can take turns but found out a new weird side effect. We already have a weird 9 hour rule (could be our expectations or something but we don't want to change it) where if a newly switched-in fronter fronts for 9 hours, they will be guaranteed to wake up the next morning. If the new fronter doesn't meet that criteria, going to sleep will cause us to wake up as identity soup. The good news is we are both switched-in long enough for this to work, the problem is the next day the new fronter struggles with doubt over them being switched-in. Since I'm also having this problem, we realized our brain doesn't really like it when a new "dominant" fronter is established (9+ hours) and then switches out the next day. For this reason, Ranger and I are talking about changing our fronting schedule so we are switched-in for two or three days at a time instead of one day at a time.

Since our switching is generally weirder than other people's (Ranger had trouble with fronting exhaustion and that's uncommon in of itself), I'm wondering if most people don't feel as restricted by their switching. While I'm guessing we can change the rules for our switching, having the guarantee the 9+ hour fronter wakes up the next morning and the fact it's so weirdly specific is really important for Ranger trusting he and I have equal access of the front. The last thing Ranger wants is a switching system where the brain picks me as the default identity for whatever reason because I'm the original host or whatever. While we know it doesn't work that way for dreaming, Ranger wants to know if he can wake up tomorrow or not and have control over that process.

Edited by Cat_ShadowGriffin

I actually use this as a form now, but it's not my main one. I'm still not a hippo, neither is Ranger.

I used to speak in pink and Ranger used to speak in blue (if it's unmarked and colored assume it's Ranger). He loves to chat.

Our system account

Don't really have a schedule. Jaina is usually content to ride shotgun. Sometimes when the traffic is light she practices driving. Technically we both went to driver's ed so she's got all the tools and experience, just a matter of comfort fronting. If I'm exhausted she sometimes drives me home and drags my butt to bed. She's backup essentially. Otherwise she's secretary/copilot.

Darron: Host 💍 

Jaina: Tulpa 💍 

Viktor: 🐺

[DeviantArt]

Well, we've said plenty of times before that when we first started switching, we would get really tired after an (ever increasing) amount of time, that would go away when we switched back with Lumi. So, "switching exhaustion" isn't weird, but.. We slowly fronted for longer and longer (we're not sure if it took less than a month, or a few months) until we could stay switched an entire day, at which point we never experienced that "switching exhaustion" again, 6 years later. So it is kind of weird if Ranger still experiences it, I guess

Anyways, we can switch as little or as much as we want, it doesn't really make any difference I think. There was one time we tried switching between four of us (I wasn't participating) playing our own characters in the turn-based game Divinity: Original Sin 2, and we were switching every 20-40 seconds for a long while - THAT got very confusing, a couple of us took each others' turns on accident and it almost felt like we were slightly disoriented, I think? So "Every 30 seconds for more than 8+ switches" might be our "too often", lol. In the opposite direction, Lucilyn fronted for two whole months once (with only a single day switched with Tewi in between), so clearly there's no upper limit.

As for our "schedule"... well, we always just decide who should front every time we decide to switch. The biggest factor is how long it's been since someone has fronted (we don't really do any wonderlanding or anything, so switching is our main form of activity), followed closely by just who wants to front for whatever reason (like if Lucilyn wants to play a new game we got or something, or if Tewi wants to work on something). But yeah, we're far from having a schedule we follow lol. I usually front for 2-3 days (sometimes less), Flandre usually fronts for 3-6 days, Tewi usually fronts for at least a week and Lucilyn, well, until she's bored or thinks someone else deserves a turn I guess? And Lumi fronts the most, since he is still "the owner of the body" and all that.

Edited by Reisen

Hi guys, plain text is just me now! We've each got our own accounts: me, Tewi, Flandre, and Lucilyn. We're Luminesce's tulpas.

Here's our "Ask Thread", and here's our Progress Report (You should be able to see all of our accounts on the second page if you want)

25 minutes ago, Reisen said:

Anyways, we can switch as little or as much as we want, it doesn't really make any difference I think. There was one time we tried switching between four of us (I wasn't participating) playing our own characters in the turn-based game Divinity: Original Sin 2, and we were switching every 20-40 seconds for a long while - THAT got very confusing, a couple of us took each others' turns on accident and it almost felt like we were slightly disoriented, I think? So "Every 30 seconds for more than 8+ switches" might be our "too often", lol. In the opposite direction, Lucilyn fronted for two whole months once (with only a single day switched with Tewi in between), so clearly there's no upper limit.

I could only imagine. Jaina and I sometimes get confused with just two of us.

Darron: Host 💍 

Jaina: Tulpa 💍 

Viktor: 🐺

[DeviantArt]

To heavily offset the question it should be noted we only really do co-consciousness rather than anything resembling full switching. As a result we tend to get somewhat blendy after a prolonged period and then want to stop and do something else. But with that in mind...

Our weekly schedule tends to be: One day of faff; Two days dictated by Mika; One day faff; One day specifically dedicated to pursuing shared activities; Two days dictated by myself; Repeat.

This isn't really a switching schedule per se but it's highly unusual for Mika not to want some fronting on their days for a set period of time, and it's highly unusual for me to allow it on my own two days. The point of such days is to pursue things that we are individually interested in - usually relatively alone with the other phasing out somewhat - whether that involves actually fronting or not. As for other days, the shared day is specifically for making us do something that actively requires both of us, like playing a TTRPG. The other two are days purposefully without structure - these are not intended to be "rest days", however, that's what my own days can be used for, so they can still involve fronting as desired by one or both of us. The structureless days are there to allow flexibility in pursuits or spaces to procrastinate whilst still at least minimally forcing.

The schedule is not exactly religiously adhered to, realistically on our own days we often, in a vacuum, want to do nothing and hang out with one another if we don't have some other specific idea so we rarely spend them entirely alone or doing only things related to us in them. Sometimes we move around our days if we don't feel like using them at all, sometimes we have no interest in doing a shared thing, and sometimes we spend five days in a row doing shared stuff and that's it. The purpose of the structure is mostly to have a baseline of what we consider acceptable so that our ADHD brain doesn't just do nothing at all, which is the danger. We require a heading we can course-correct against if need be.

Zen - Host 

Mika - Tulpa

If text is uncoloured, presume Zen is talking.

We haven't had a switching schedule, but very recently I'm trying to switch in for 2 days a week, roughly Thursday and Sunday. If that goes well we may do every other day, or a couple days alternating.

I have yet to wake up still fronting in the morning, even if I fronted for an entire day prior. For whatever reason, the body wakes up several times in a night. Basically, after going to bed in front, I will wake up in front during the night, but the closer it gets to morning the more it is Yuka waking up in front. I suspect if I fronted more I could still be in front by morning. Sometimes I switch in right after the body wakes up, though.