The Body and Mind; is it "Mine" or "Ours" to you?

September13

This is a question about how you--either as a system or any of its members--view ownership of the body and mind on a conceptual level.

I'll try to explain what I mean here. For the rest of this paragraph assume when I say "You" I am speaking to the Host of the system. Do you consider your body and/or mind to be yours--meaning that your tulpa(s) are essentially "renting" out part of your mind to inhabit? Or do you consider the body and/or mind to belong to the system as a whole, and you as the host and your tulpa(s) all have some ownership over it, equal or not? Or is it split, as in you all have co-ownership of the mind, but you still view the body as being "yours".

I get the feeling that most beginning tulpamancers are going to fit the first option, but more and more advanced tulpamancers are going to fit the second or third options better. I'm curious if that is correct, and if anyone can comment as to when they noticed the shift from "my mind" or "my body" to "our mind" and "our body".

For me, I view my body as definitively being "my" body. Simmie has her own body, and although it may not exist corporeally in the real world, it is consistent and she is rather attached to it. The mind, however, is a bit of a gray area. Most of the time I still view it as "my" mind. But Simmie is very fond of referring to it as "ours", as both of our thoughts originate from here, we both have access to the same memories, and the physical state of the brain and stimulations upon said brain affects us both the same way. My stream of consciousness still feels like just me, though I can almost always detect Simmie's thoughts being formed before they branch off from my own internal narrative into her mindvoice. So it does feel very much like an "us" situation than just a "me" situation when it comes to the mind, at least some of the time.

I hope this is making sense and I'm not up my own butt with all of this, lol.

Phil. 😎 Host of Simmie.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all see it as "our" brain and "our" body. However, officially the body and life belong to our host, Lumi - but he shares them with us. There's a good possibility we only started thinking like this after learning to switch, though

Related, Lumi learned to not consider his brain or a lot of the mind "him" unrelated to tulpamancy, before learning to switch, from Western Buddhism books. Meaning, only what he directly identifies with thought and identity-wise is "him" to him, with the rest of the brain's subconscious thoughts and workings, and the body, as their own separate things. This fit extremely well into a tulpamancy model, obviously! And we do recommend this way of thinking to tulpamancers who intend to learn switching, because it helps a lot with the dissociation/switching out stage to not be identifying with your brain's consciousness itself.

Hi guys, plain text is just me now! We've each got our own accounts: me, Tewi, Flandre, and Lucilyn. We're Luminesce's tulpas.

Here's our "Ask Thread", and here's our Progress Report (You should be able to see all of our accounts on the second page if you want)

An interesting question. I suppose it's a matter of primacy. I came first and the body was my responsibility first. I consider Jaina to be 'of me,' in whatever way you slice it, so I view it as her home as well. Without, I hope, getting to ethically weird, it's like a parent and a child. Parent owns and takes care of the house, but the child belongs there as well. I want Jaina to feel safe and welcome here but I guess it's my responsibility. I can't exactly will my body to her, because we're both tied to it, but I would if I could. 

Darron: Host 💍 

Jaina: Tulpa 💍 

(Raccoon Queen 🦝👸)

👨‍👩‍👧‍👦Dain and Nova

Aggrok: Tulpa Void Dragon

Viktor: 🐺

[DeviantArt]

They say it's mine, I think it's ours because it mostly doesn't matter to me now. I know they won't do anything I don't want so meh.

It was definitely mine in the beginning.

We know there's only one physical body/life, so we take care of it together. In mindspace we all have our own forms so that's what most of us identify with.

Kind of complicated for me. Rena associates her mind made body as hers. I also don't like to associate with my body much either and prefer my mind made body, but if someone owns the physical body, it is me, I guess. At the same time, it is still Rena's insofar as what happens to it still can affect her.

As for the mind, I very strongly associate my stream of consciousness as being me. That's really all I have so intuitively nothing else is satisfying to label as that. I spent so much time considering Rena as having her own stream of consciousness that also was in me or using my brain too or whatever. If the mind is something that can harbor the multiple consciousness streams, then sure it is ours. If a consciousness stream was synonymous with a mind, then no as I would have thought she should have her own. It seems it may not be like that though. If she is the same stream of consciousness that is me, it doesn't seem there is another option outside of it being "ours". Thinking about it still screws with my head a lot, though, so I'm not sure what to do about that.

Creation for creation's sake.

More of my drawings

Resident Dojikko

I've always looked at it like I'm renting out part of my brain/body to Tam. So it's both "mine" and "ours" at the same time. 

(9)

If you forced me to choose I'd say "ours".

But I actually think our answer is "neither". To explain, I think that both of us are owned by the system/brain - not the other way around. We are both just software the brain is running to regulate its actions. There's not really any ownership in that. We're programs with a high degree of security permissions that give us the illusion of sweeping control - We use up 50~% of the system's power and make decisions but our unconscious brain functioning is the real OS.

Zen - Host.

Mika - Tulpa. The eldest, and a homegrown tupper made with tulpamancy.

Rhys - Tulpa. Initially a Literary Thoughtform of my own creation.

Asterion - Tulpa. Literary, I suppose? Mythological egregore, maybe? He's The Minotaur.

If text is uncoloured, presume Zen is talking. We go by he/him.

(edited)

Stone: Both. It’s ours in that we all inhabit it and have to deal with its conditions (drowsiness right now), but, I have the most emotional attachment to it. I decide how the body (“my” body, I often call it) dresses, for instance. My headmates understand. I was born a singlet, after all.

I think Betty might have referred to the body as hers while she possessed it, which makes sense to me. She was in control of it at the time.

The mind is ours to share. That’s where things get really foggy. To pose a question I find interesting: can thoughts/feelings/emotions have no owner? As singlets, we usually believe everything going on in there is “us,” whether it’s voluntary or not. Conscious or not. Because, as singlets, who else would it be?

Is an intrusive thought about driving off the road “me”? Is it Betty? Is it anybody? Or is it just a thought? Could it be nobody? Just the brain warning me not to drive the road, divorced from identity?

I don’t think there’s one correct answer to this.

Edited by ruleofthumb
Added stuff

Someday

The body is mine when I'm fronting, but when Desmond is it becomes ours for that time, the ownership concept is a bit funky for me like that. So mostly it's mine. Desmond and the rest of them have their own forms they're attached to and they don't think of the body as theirs at all, ever. I identify with the body the most.

However our mind is our mind. It would feel weird for me to call it my mind alone, since there are others living in it as well. I don't feel like I'm renting the space to them, they own their spots in it.

Iro - He/they - 30th April 1997 - Host of the system - Speaker if there's no tag

Desmond - He/him - 21st April 2014

L - He/him - 5th May 2014

Nevira - She/her - 14th December 2014

Misa - She/her - 5th December 2015

Roska - He/him - 22nd July 2019

Danyla - They/them - 13th July 2020

Asha - He/him - 13th June 2022

On 4/8/2021 at 9:34 PM, Reisen said:

Related, Lumi learned to not consider his brain or a lot of the mind "him" unrelated to tulpamancy, before learning to switch, from Western Buddhism books. Meaning, only what he directly identifies with thought and identity-wise is "him" to him, with the rest of the brain's subconscious thoughts and workings, and the body, as their own separate things. This fit extremely well into a tulpamancy model, obviously! And we do recommend this way of thinking to tulpamancers who intend to learn switching, because it helps a lot with the dissociation/switching out stage to not be identifying with your brain's consciousness itself.

That is incredibly fascinating, and I'd be curious to look into that more. Identifying only certain thoughts as "you" and everything else as something else is fascinating, and when you think about it, very useful if not essential for tulpamancy. I may want to adopt this mindset but I'd have to learn a lot more about it first.

Phil. 😎 Host of Simmie.