Should we have a second LOTPW thread (or something similar)?

Ranger

7 hours ago, Etna said:

You can set phpBB boards to automatically prune old topics/threads in a forum after X days of inactivity, so I would imagine Invision boards to have the same functionality - it seeming to have more bells and whistles in comparison. 🤷‍♀️

I specifically meant posts can't be, because that breaks the whole forum format. Threads could be, but that's against the very concept forums exist for

Also archiving old threads is no fun, there are tons of legitimate reasons to post in old threads again. This topic starts and ends with whether we OK creating new threads with existing topics, or if we keep telling people to go post in the old forgotten threads full of posts from people no one recognizes anymore

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel I am misunderstood - als always.

The title of this thread is Should we have a second LOTPW thread (or something similar)?

My idea was to create an alternative autopruned thread, not to delete anything that already exists.

But well, thanks to our super-fancy forum software that's apparently impossible anyway. I truly love it.

Honestly I was thinking "Deleting the first post of a thread" when I read that, which is impossible on any forum software. Otherwise, at best we could make a thread like LOTPW where the original post sticks around but the rest get deleted, but the very concept of a permanent topic with temporary replies upsets me immensely

No, definitely Ice's suggestion for a shoutbox is the best and most realistic so far. Really missed the boat on that when we replaced IRC with Discord imo, but it could still be fun. I'm not against it, especially since I have never liked LOTPW stacking up hundreds and hundreds of pages of nonsense. LOTPW shouldn't go anywhere, but hopefully people would get some of the fluff/filler-posting out of their system by posting in the live chat shoutbox, with LOTPW slowing down and being more worth participating in.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

3 hours ago, Luminesce said:

Honestly I was thinking "Deleting the first post of a thread" when I read that, which is impossible on any forum software.

^

3 hours ago, Luminesce said:

No, definitely Ice's suggestion for a shoutbox is the best and most realistic so far. Really missed the boat on that when we replaced IRC with Discord imo, but it could still be fun. I'm not against it, especially since I have never liked LOTPW stacking up hundreds and hundreds of pages of nonsense. LOTPW shouldn't go anywhere, but hopefully people would get some of the fluff/filler-posting out of their system by posting in the live chat shoutbox, with LOTPW slowing down and being more worth participating in.

<<<333 a shoutbox really is the best of both worlds. 

Hey there, the name's Bryan. In system Re:Body(In order of the rainbow): 

Sean, Esper, Blinky, Compact, Janey, Kyle, Gwen'd, Gwen, Emily, Rollin, Waynin, Trease, Layy, Justin, Chloe, Zachery, and Elliot. 

I've been here a while. Much longer than I thought I'd be. Our system was founded October 2nd, 2018. In early 2020, we decided that due to our systems exponential growth, we'd limit who would be active. Now, every month, we do a check to see who wishes to be in dormancy and who wishes to be active. Currently, for the month of April, 2023, we've got myself(Bryan), Janey(Co-host), Emily, Layy, Chloe, and Esper(sub-rep). After over 2 long years, we can finally switch :) 

Bryan is currently swapped in as host, Esper is sub-rep. 

"There used to be 7 wonders of the world, but now there's 8, as everyone wonders how much of a fool you are."

Ice909#0065 -- Always down for a chat 

https://discord.gg/89qN59SbRp Plural safe-space 

(edited)
20 hours ago, Luminesce said:

LOTPW shouldn't go anywhere, but hopefully people would get some of the fluff/filler-posting out of their system by posting in the live chat shoutbox, with LOTPW slowing down and being more worth participating in.

Given the past, I doubt that's going to happen.

Warning 2012-2013 4-chan posting:

Professionalism thread

Shout Box

[Split] Shout Box

Even though we no longer have a 4chan culture on the forums, I'm not comfortable with an unmoderated shout box on the forums. At least with the cBox I have some moderation ability, with an unfiltered shout box I think history would repeat itself. I like the idea of having a place where new users feel safe asking questions and making friends, but I don't think a shout box is the solution to that problem.

I have this thought- what if we took advantage of sub boards and forum roles to simulate discussion pockets?

First, not only can you have a role on the forums, you can have a hidden one as well. The patron role can be public or hidden, and GAT members got special roles along with access to their own board. We can create limited access to a thread if we put it bellow a sub board (and this would also make searching for LOTPW posts easier if LOTPW had its own sub board).

To create separation without sacrificing knowledge, what if the threads were visible to everyone but only those with a role could post in their respective thread? Let's say we had 4 ongoing threads decided to call the different threads Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. If you had the Gryffindor role (hidden or not), you can post in Gryffindor but not the other three threads. However, if you saw some interesting discussion in Slyrherin, you can choose to make a public discussion thread to discuss with everyone or you could talk about it in Gryffindor. If you decide you don't like one group and you want to move, you can get a different role (But you can't have more than one role). New users could be given an undecided role if they request one, we could give out the role based on when they joined the forums, we can have open and closed houses, and I bet we could come up with other ideas. By creating artificial separation, it may motivate people to stay instead of drive them away to hide in a shout box, cBox, Didcord server, or whatever else. I think the only thing intimidating about a used thread is the fact it's used and everyone knows each other, if we create new threads with artificial separation new users can start fresh with new users and slowly get to know everyone else with time.

A few after thoughts:

• New threads are open until a a regular friend group is established and identified. After that, we give out roles and create a new thread
  • I strongly suspect the artificial separation of the Tulpa's only thread is evidence something like this could work. By not allowing hosts to post, tulpas were more comfortable talking and another active group formed because of it. (Wait... It was going strong since March before starting to fall flat in September. That's a long time!)
  • I expect the threads to be dynamic. We may reuse, archive, or lock threads. If someone wants to revive a thread, we could allow it.

After after thought-

This thread about having a separate place for tulpas to chat is also relevant.

Edited by Ranger

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

With all due respect I think you greatly overestimate the active userbase of this forum. If you divide it even further and create exclusive bubbles and 'safe spaces', on-topic discussion will completely die down.

The tulpas-only thread is warranted (and dead), but I find the idea of further division revolting and I hate group-think.

"you can't post in thread X because you don't belong in this group, know your place"

Do we really want secret circles and echo chambers where every user sits in their own padded cell? This is a discussion forum that lives from dissenting opinions and debate and not a social media platform with the only purpose of lulling its users with content they like and expect so they can be monetarized by ads. At least I hope so.

11 hours ago, Ranger said:

new users can start fresh with new users

It should not matter if you are a newbie or veteran, old or young. On the internet nobody knows you're a dog. We have plenty of such division irl. Separating and grading users is a bad idea, just like fragmenting the forum into more and more sub-categories.

All social activity is driven by positive feedback loops. People inevitably tend to flock to places where there are already others present, where there's something going on. Similarly no one enters an empty restaurant even if the menu seems attractive. It's awkward.

Therefore it's not wise to create too many subdivisions in online places. I've seen this over and over. Yes, it may seem more 'orderly' to have distinct categories for archival purposes but activity-wise this it will inevitably lead to decline.

As it has already happened, we should focus on keeping on-topic discussion out of LOTPW to direct more activity to the general forum and create / revive threads there. I think an inactive main forum is a way bigger deterrent for newbies that some chat where 'friends' 'know' each other.

Bottom line - I think we all should put some effort into keeping our posts even vaguely tulpa related. Every minute wasted on pointless chit-chat is a minute we have not been thinking of and interacting with our tulpas. There's plenty to talk about them.

Spoiler
11 hours ago, Ranger said:

Even though we no longer have a 4chan culture on the forums

unfortunately

Oh, I forgot to reply because I didn't know off the top of my head how to reply to Ranger without sounding rude. But yeah, no, that idea about splitting people up is kind of really bad for this forum. Also, a shoutbox can surely have an automod filter, along with of course normal moderators being able to moderate it if need be. I guess the question is whether it'd have a Report or Alert Staff button. But either way, it still seems like the best possible change/addition to the forum, especially for those who don't like LOTPW being the primary activity on the forum. 

Edited by Luminesce

2 hours ago, Luminesce said:

Oh, I forgot to reply because I didn't know off the top of my head how to reply to Ranger without sounding rude.

RIGHT?!

2 hours ago, Luminesce said:

Also, a shoutbox can surely have an automod filter, along with of course normal moderators being able to moderate it if need be. I guess the question is whether it'd have a Report or Alert Staff button. But either way, it still seems like the best possible change/addition to the forum, especially for those who don't like LOTPW being the primary activity on the forum. 

Literally. 

Ranger, I'm sorry, my dear friend, but you just took a big fat L. I mean that in the nicest way possible but seriously, Yakumo has it completely right. We should put it to some sort of vote, shoutbox or no shoutbox. 

18 hours ago, Ranger said:

Given the past, I doubt that's going to happen.

Warning 2012-2013 4-chan posting:

Professionalism thread

Shout Box

[Split] Shout Box

Even though we no longer have a 4chan culture on the forums, I'm not comfortable with an unmoderated shout box on the forums. At least with the cBox I have some moderation ability, with an unfiltered shout box I think history would repeat itself. I like the idea of having a place where new users feel safe asking questions and making friends, but I don't think a shout box is the solution to that problem.

Also I fail to see the point you're trying to make here. 

Edited by IceCreeper909
added something

Hey there, the name's Bryan. In system Re:Body(In order of the rainbow): 

Sean, Esper, Blinky, Compact, Janey, Kyle, Gwen'd, Gwen, Emily, Rollin, Waynin, Trease, Layy, Justin, Chloe, Zachery, and Elliot. 

I've been here a while. Much longer than I thought I'd be. Our system was founded October 2nd, 2018. In early 2020, we decided that due to our systems exponential growth, we'd limit who would be active. Now, every month, we do a check to see who wishes to be in dormancy and who wishes to be active. Currently, for the month of April, 2023, we've got myself(Bryan), Janey(Co-host), Emily, Layy, Chloe, and Esper(sub-rep). After over 2 long years, we can finally switch :) 

Bryan is currently swapped in as host, Esper is sub-rep. 

"There used to be 7 wonders of the world, but now there's 8, as everyone wonders how much of a fool you are."

Ice909#0065 -- Always down for a chat 

https://discord.gg/89qN59SbRp Plural safe-space 

(edited)
15 hours ago, Yakumo said:

With all due respect I think you greatly overestimate the active userbase of this forum. If you divide it even further and create exclusive bubbles and 'safe spaces', on-topic discussion will completely die down.

Do we really want secret circles and echo chambers where every user sits in their own padded cell? This is a discussion forum that lives from dissenting opinions and debate and not a social media platform with the only purpose of lulling its users with content they like and expect so they can be monetarized by ads. At least I hope so.

I have no interest in creating a safe space, and these spaces being public and subject to scrutiny is how I plan on preventing that. Anyone can read what you wrote, and if you don't like something you can bring it to a public channel and explain how they're wrong. If you make fun of someone else in your thread, everyone can see it and make fun of you back. There is nothing private about these channels, and given how much of a disaster the GAT was, I will not entertain the idea of making any of these spaces into secret friend groups.

As for population, I believe there is a limit of active users any space can have and I want to take advantage of that. On Discord, there is about 5-15 people that can be the "active userbase". We have recently lost some people, and suddenly other people came back. I have seen beginners who were interesting people not fit in with the present in-crowd and leave or stop posting. While the people who post here are also on Discord, a lot of the time they don't. Discord is already acting like a "separate thread", the separation being having to use Discord instead of it being spelled out. A shout box would virtually be the same exact thing. On the forums, Ashley pointed out new users were more comfortable posting in the 'second LOTPW thread'. The tulpa thread literally bans hosts from posting, limiting who can post there. I think that's more strict than what I'm suggesting because you can change your role and join that group if you change your mind. If there's an assumption a new group and new connections can be made, people will fill that group. By having this happen on the forums instead of 5 different platforms, I hope to increase unification by making these other pockets more accessible to the average user.

All social activity is driven by positive feedback loops. People inevitably tend to flock to places where there are already others present, where there's something going on. Similarly no one enters an empty restaurant even if the menu seems attractive. It's awkward.

Sure, but if you realized everyone is crazed about food you don't like that much and you're only in it for the cookies, you're not going to care that much. If the in-group favorite topics are computers and politics, some people are not interested in that. They may try a different topic and every so often they do chat, but sometimes you hit a point where the conversation moves on, your posts get drowned out, and you can't continue the conversation because you can't contribute to the computer one. If the answer is "well, go find another place to eat cookies", well... This is the cookie restaurant, but you shouldn't eat cookies for dinner all the time. I like to talk about tulpas, but I like talking about other things too. I don't really feel like I fit in anymore, and I don't think the answer should be to force people to talk about something else. By creating artificial separation, we can give more places for these natural small groups to form without losing them to another platform and creating unity by making it easier for the average forum user to access the discussion.

Bottom line - I think we all should put some effort into keeping our posts even vaguely tulpa related. Every minute wasted on pointless chit-chat is a minute we have not been thinking of and interacting with our tulpas. There's plenty to talk about them.

I learned awhile ago being strict on off-topic discussion suppresses on-topic tulpa discussion. Tulpamancy is so personal that it's easy to slide into a conversation about switching when the original topic was JoJo's Bizzare Adventures or something completely unrelated like the weather. People are lazy and they don't like to post interesting threads they naturally start in LOTPW, and asking them to usually leads to the discussion ending. Additionally, tulpa talk can devolve to off-topic discussion as easily as it was created from off-topic discussion. For a lot of people, they don't usually start with thinking about some tulpamancy idea to contribute, the off-topic discussion lead to the new idea. I find it's better to go with the flow and if necessary create a thread that links to the LOTPW discussion than to crack down on it.

I wish there was a software that was like Discord but you could click on somebody's message and auto create a thread that gets recorded and saved to a forum. I feel like that would give us the best of both worlds there.

I feel like the tulpa community is already so fragmented, but that's because of the nature of tulpamancy itself and not any particular person's fault. Tulpa experiences are usually personal experiences and you're more likely to share those with your friends than with people you don't know or people you don't fit in with. If you don't fit in, go make another server. I think that's a fine argument if you disagree on server culture, but I think it's less good if the reason your community is broken is because not everyone likes to talk about anime.

I would like a way to corral these pockets of people in a way we could control and expand. If we implement a shout box that could eat a lot of forum resources, we probably can't have 2 or 3 of them. We can however close and create threads. I think solely creating a second thread isn't the answer because more channels on Discord do not promote activity, you need to have some kind of barrier or a larger base of people to make that meaningful.

9 hours ago, IceCreeper909 said:

Also I fail to see the point you're trying to make here. 

My point is I think history could repeat itself and/or the staff as a whole isn't going to be warm to the idea of a forum shout box. Having a shout box be on the front page of the forums or tulpa.info is not a good idea because it's ugly, like how LOTPW or #lounge can be ugly. I personally don't mind the idea of having a shout box on its own dedicated page though. I also suspect there could be moderation difficulties given the current strain on the chat staff and how limited shout box moderation can be. While new users can bring in new people, I don't want the shout box to be a dumpster fire before that happens. There's also the question on if a shout box will eat up a lot a lot of resources or if we allow guests to post in the shout box (probably not for the latter).

Edited by Ranger

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

Then the next question would be where would we put something like a shoutbox/live chat then, and what would the visibility be. It's not actually my idea so I don't have anything specific in mind, but I can give ideas or comment on them if you guys want

Edited by Luminesce