Guide Back-Ups: Help Wanted

Ranger

(edited)

1/12/23: Since Google's update didn't break Google Docs to my knowledge, I'll repurpose this thread for guide back-ups in general.

Google is going to release a security update for Google Docs that will likely break shared links. You can view the article here.

I am trying to back everything up before the update so we don't lose guide content. I have already made some progress backing up guides for the GAT transition process, but the process has been slow and overwhelming for me and I didn't get very far on my own. If you look through the guides, you may find several guides I backed up with PDF copies.

Last night I VC'd with Bre and Reguile and we checked guides for Google Doc links. We made some really good progress and I want to keep up the momentum. We have about 2 weeks before the update, and I realize given the time I have there's no way I can do this by myself.

If anyone finds a guide that's a Google Doc link, please post it in this thread and ping me and/or message me the guide and I'll back it up. If anyone finds a guide on Reddit or elsewhere that's a Google Doc, please send it to me or post it in this thread anyway. I would like to create back-ups just in case, and I would like to provide resources to help people on Reddit and other places as well.

I have a system for marking which guides have been backed-up and which ones haven't- if you go into light theme (you can't see it on Dark theme) you may notice a mix of blue and gold tags for threads in the Guides board. The gold tags mean I have backed them up (for the most part) and the blue tags mean the guide needs to be backed-up in some way (missing images, links to other websites, broken links, etc.). If you notice a block of blue tags, especially if they have the topic in brackets like [Wonderland] and [General], that means I haven't even started looking at those yet. My goal is to eventually have every tag be Gold, but for now the goal is to back up all of the guides with Google Doc links.

I checked some of the Submissions going backwards, I found 2 that had Google Doc links:

A collection of tips and tricks

Parallel Processing and Personality Switching

I then realized I should check Tips & Tricks and Articles first. I want to prioritize backing up stuff for those boards and go from there.

Edited by Ranger

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

I'm having a stress hair loss week and have been busy this week. I'll try to help next week when my friend gets home from vacation. 

Darron: Host 💍 

Jaina: Tulpa 💍 

(Raccoon Queen 🦝👸)

👨‍👩‍👧‍👦Dain and Nova

Aggrok: Tulpa Void Dragon

Viktor: 🐺

[DeviantArt]

• 1 month later...

Well, on the bright side nothing broke.

With limited help I was able to get some of the guides backed-up, but I eventually gave up and threw in the towel. Backing up every guide is too much for me to do, and there's not enough interest in it that I see it as a massive bottle neck for getting the transition process going. Instead of backing up everything, I think it should be made mandatory to back up NEW submissions once the transition takes place.

Back-ups are still appreciated though, if you have any feel free to post them here.

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

• Ranger changed the title to Guide Back-Ups: Help Wanted