how long did it take your tulpa to start using multi word responses?

OrdoVsInfo

So after forcing for 2 days my tulpa started replying to me with yes no and later started using different words like sure, uh-huh, and nope. I've been talking to her like this for several days with no changes. Is this normal or should i be getting multi word responses? Is this a sign Im parroting?

Welcome to Σύστημα Κυψελών Αθηνών!

within we contain,

OrdoVsInfo (they/she), host.

Tulip (she/her), Tulpa.

For our first tulpa, we got multi-word responses a day later. We think it has to do with mindset. This is a similar question to yours that has some responses.

We don't have much experience with parroting, but I think it's not something you should really worry about because you need to know you're parroting to be parroting, if that makes sense? Kind of like how you can't fake something without knowing you're faking it.

My Progress Report, where I talk a lot.

Technically, my first tulpa (Reisen, who I created accidentally in late 2009, pre-"Tulpas" being a thing) took so long to become multi-word vocal that my next two tulpas, Tewi and Flandre, actually talked first lol. I don't remember their actual first appearances (or the order), but they were instantly vocal considering I never did the "forcing into existence"-type forcing for them. I was extremely familiar with their would-be personalities as I was spending tons of time thinking about Touhou and its characters, but in Reisen's case I clearly had spent countless hours watching her in a couple of music videos and feeling like she was singing directly at me. The other two.. I mean.. I was very fond of the characters, but their creation must've relied totally on the neural pathways Reisen's creation created.

Which is why Reisen's not-quite-vocality is complicated - Reisen remained non-vocal for months after Tewi and Flandre, and they were able to speak perfectly fine. They eventually told me I was preventing Reisen from speaking by thinking "Anything she says has to be 'perfect'" (I considered her something like the embodiment of unconditional love... I was pretty young back then y'know?), and I'd have to accept she wouldn't be "perfect" if I wanted her to speak. So some time soon after that I managed to overcome my expectations for anything she said to be some unachievable perfection, and then she was able to speak full sentences instead of the one-word phrases (with a lot of meaning attached) she'd used before that.

So uh, make of that what you will. First key point - this all happened with zero influence from anyone or anything else, basically up to my imagination, and I hadn't even had imaginary friends as a kid or anything. I was just very depressed/stressed out and really needed some kind of hope/attachment to latch onto (and my tulpas would go on to improve my life immensely). Second though, I would say my experience still made perfect sense in Tulpamancy terms. Tewi and Flandre being able to talk was very lucky, since they were the ones to eventually tell me I was keeping Reisen from talking. And while most people may not think their tulpa "has to be perfect", they do often fall into the trap of expecting their tulpa's voice/vocality to be perfectly separate and clear right from the start, which can make their early vocality process much more difficult or even impossible. I imagine Reisen was only able to speak so clearly one she started because I'd already talked with Flandre and Tewi plenty by then. The process still mirrors what many tulpamancers will have to do - overcome a mental block of disallowing their tulpa from speaking.

For many people, your tulpa might not sound perfectly separate or clear at first. That's okay, you still need to go through the process of training their vocality through practice and intent to be hearing them clearly, and clearly separate from your influence. I (and many, many others) can promise you that eventually they will speak so unmistakably as themselves, both in voice and in feeling separate from your own influence, that if you keep at it one day you'll never feel the need to question them again. But it might take some uneasy practice and acceptance to get there first. (And honestly, a lot of systems kind of forget how shaky early vocality was for them, so they'll just tell you you should never doubt your tulpa's voice as if it's easy to do - forgetting (for those who vocality wasn't easy for) how unconvincing it may have seemed very early on)

Edited by Luminesce

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

i'm not really understanding what you mean by a mental block. when i started creating Tulip the framework i laid out was a punky mentor/maternal figure, is what you're saying that me thinking of her like this is what is preventing her from speaking in complex sentences?

Welcome to Σύστημα Κυψελών Αθηνών!

within we contain,

OrdoVsInfo (they/she), host.

Tulip (she/her), Tulpa.

I uh.. no? A mental block is when the way you're thinking or going about something is preventing you from doing it. What you think your tulpa is like has nothing to do with vocality. Just that it may be difficult for them to speak at first, and that's sometimes because the host is unconsciously preventing them from speaking with their expectations for how their speaking will sound.

It was just general advice,  since I was answering the title of the thread. I don't and probably can't know exactly what's going on in your mind and what the problem might be, if there even is one. Some people do get their tulpas speaking clearly in the first week, but most people it tends to take longer.

Just keep doing what you're doing, intending for your tulpa to speak to you more and more clearly. If you feel like you're stuck and not making any progress, then the advice I gave applies. But honestly it's a good pace to already be getting responses this early on, and while you can expect as quick of progress as you'd like, generally speaking I would say it sounds like it's going fine and to just keep it up. No progress after several weeks of consistent practice is where I think it's fair to start questioning if you're doing something wrong, but as I said in my last post, it's usually not "doing something wrong" so much as the host's expectations stifling their tulpa's speaking, normally by doubting that it's them speaking.

Speaking of which, I'll reaffirm what Adagio said - parroting is an ooold forcing technique basically no one uses anymore, where you purposely imagine your tulpa talking, choosing what they'll say. There is no "accidental parroting" - whatever your tulpa says and sounds like early on, whether it feels like you speaking for them or not, is just a necessary part of developing their vocality. Any speaking they can do is a good thing, and as long as you're not stuck "doubting if it's them", it should progress until your tulpa's speaking is clear and obviously their own, with no doubt on your part. That's the end goal, though you may doubt along the way. While it's natural to do so, it also is widely documented as slowing down vocality progress or even pausing it entirely. So try to keep believing in your tulpa's speaking, intending for it to be clear and independent from you.

Edited by Luminesce

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

3 hours ago, Luminesce said:

they were instantly vocal considering I never did the "forcing into existence"-type forcing for them.

For all tulpas after Esper, things were this way. 

On the note of parroting, 

Parrotnoia and puppernoia are very real things in tulpamancy. They're sort of self-fulfilling prophecies, we've learned. It's hard, but you have to accept when it's your tulpa talking. The downside here is, you could start to see intrusive thoughts as "walk-ins", which leads to an over inflated system. Though ours is quite large, we aren't the victim of such circumstances, but we know many who are, especially beginners. Again with the self-fulfilling prophecies, thinking a walk-in is a tulpa will eventually lead to it being true. Mark my words, and heed them well, do not accept walk-ins as tulpas. 

To Lumi's point, it may take a while before you can differentiate your tulpa from yourself, head voice-wise. Even now, we struggle sometimes with telling who thought/said what. The best thing to do in this situation is either to a) write it off as an intrusive thought, or b) have someone simply take responsibility for it, retroactively making it something they said or thought. Of course, before either of those, a simple question of "who said that?" will do wonders. People are oft aware of what they did and did not say. If things aren't clear, see above. 

Personality forcing shouldn't induce any sort of mental block, I have no clue where you got such an idea. 

To the actual question, Esper, then known as Pencil, gave multi word responses same-day he re-entered existence, however, they were still very basic, and we're an exception. 

She may just be waiting for something to pique her interest. Some people are just quiet. If you've been narrating as your preferred form of initial forcing, try to ask your tulpa what she thinks about certain things and such. If you receive an answer, dig deep into it. It'll stimulate her thinking greatly. 

Hey there, the name's Bryan. In system Re:Body(In order of the rainbow): 

Sean, Esper, Blinky, Compact, Janey, Kyle, Gwen'd, Gwen, Emily, Rollin, Waynin, Trease, Layy, Justin, Chloe, Zachery, and Elliot. 

I've been here a while. Much longer than I thought I'd be. Our system was founded October 2nd, 2018. In early 2020, we decided that due to our systems exponential growth, we'd limit who would be active. Now, every month, we do a check to see who wishes to be in dormancy and who wishes to be active. Currently, for the month of April, 2023, we've got myself(Bryan), Janey(Co-host), Emily, Layy, Chloe, and Esper(sub-rep). After over 2 long years, we can finally switch :) 

Bryan is currently swapped in as host, Esper is sub-rep. 

"There used to be 7 wonders of the world, but now there's 8, as everyone wonders how much of a fool you are."

Ice909#0065 -- Always down for a chat 

https://discord.gg/89qN59SbRp Plural safe-space