No More Advice

Guest Albatross_

Guest Albatross_

How about, instead of telling new members what works, what doesn't, what's outdated, what's toxic, what's downright stupid, what's better, what's worse, what is considered "frontloading", what is possible, etc. we just let them make their own decisions?

>You're just butthurt over people telling new members not to listen to Dane

Well, yeah, not gonna lie, that's part of it. But it is by no means all of it, or even the majority of it. I'm not recommending a change to forum rules or anything. Nothing official. I just think (and this is my opinion, I know) that members should be allowed to make their own decisions, methods and opinions without having advice, axioms and absolutes thrown at them from the moment they make their first post or join the IRC. And while I think that people should be able to sift through that kind of stuff anyway, let's face it, a lot of people just accept what they're told or read first (as Purlox made clear to me). Let them ask questions if they have them, but don't give the answers first. Chances are the answers you give are just your opinions.

Again, just a suggestion for a de facto standard regarding how we conduct ourselves around new members. Tell me what you think.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

Freedom of speech? Personal opinions? What is this, Communist Russia?

But honestly, I agree. It seems everyone's been demonizing anything but this new centralized method that apparently works in 3 days, and not allowing any room for variation or improvement. I say it's fine to keep information easily accessible to new members, but keep personal opinions out of it. Then they can feel free to pick from any of the given methods that they feel suits them best. Otherwise people who don't work well with whatever the acceptable method is at the time will become discouraged if it doesn't work, and give up on tulpae altogether.

If they wanted to make their own decisions they wouldn't have made a thread on the Q&A board asking "wat i do".

Loading them up with your opinions when they don't even ask for them is obviously a bit ridiculous, but I don't think I've seen that happen recently.

The above post does not contain facts.

q2's the host, QB's the tulpa.

Guest Albatross_

If they wanted to make their own decisions they wouldn't have made a thread on the Q&A board asking "wat i do".

Let them ask questions if they have them, but don't give the answers first.

They aren't really answers if nobody asked a question. They're just you saying HELLO LET ME TELL YOU WHAT I WANT YOU TO DO.

And anyone can tell that's silly, it's not rocket science.

The above post does not contain facts.

q2's the host, QB's the tulpa.

Guest Albatross_

They aren't really answers if nobody asked a question. They're just you saying HELLO LET ME TELL YOU WHAT I WANT YOU TO DO.

My point exactly.

And anyone can tell that's silly, it's not rocket science.

if by anyone you mean experienced members:

That's true. And yet they still do it.

if by anyone you mean new members or the general populace:

Unfortunately no. I addressed this in the OP where I said that I think people should be able to sift through the things people tell them themselves, but a surprisingly large number cannot. To be honest I'm conflicted on whether it's our responsibility to handle that or not. Normally I'd lean towards the latter, but there is a point where it becomes detrimental to new members and I'd rather we avoid that if we can.

Are you trying to say that we shouldn't come up with theories anymore? I agree with keeping opinions on what guides work and the like should be kept out of it, but saying no to theories is throwing out the entire research board and I think some of the articles. Not that people ever conclude their research anyway.