Warping in Our Wonderland (the "Mind Twists")

Stone: I have hesitated to make this topic because I worried that talking about this would make it happen to me more. Take that as a warning, especially if you’re prone to intrusive thoughts.

There’s these phenomena that happen in our Wonderland. We call them “mind warps” or “mind twists”. I think the term “Wonderland warps” would best describe what they actually are, but I prefer “mind twists” because that sounds cuter.

What do they look/feel like?

For me, they tend to look like ravines, canyons/plateaus, water-less moats, sinking ground, sinking "gravity pits", and more rarely, rising hills (which look like sinking gravity pits, but inverted). Some function as portals. If you experience them, they may look/feel different than mine. Mind twists can take many forms. Fundamentally, they are intrusive, annoying, and impede progress. They are not Wonderland obstacles meant to be overcome (think of a monster in an RPG-like Wonderland), but faults of a mind imagining wonderland.

My first experience with a mind twists was a series of ravines inside ravines. We were walking to the castle when a fissure (which initially looked like a mirage) formed in the ground out of nowhere, growing into a ravine. I fell into that ravine, then a ravine inside that one, then a ravine inside that one, until I placed myself back where I was supposed to be. However, the fissures kept following me, and no matter what I imagined, they would form again.

Example of endless ravines:

Spoiler

a ravine inside of a ravine : r/Minecraft

This, but forever.

Would show up regularly during my visits to Wonderland, until they became less common, and then mostly stopped.

More recently, I've been dealing with gravity pits and canyons. A gravity pit is continuously sinking ground that looks like a model of gravity.

Example of a gravity pit:

Spoiler

Visualizing gravity in 3D - Physics Stack Exchange

Canyons and moats (usually very deep, but without water) have formed when I've wanted to get to a simple destination. For example, we wanted to go to a pool a few days ago. We were walking to the parking lot when a deep canyon-like moat formed around the pool. The moat also somehow widened the distance between us and the pool, so not only was the pool more difficult to get to, but it was now also farther away.

Why do I get them?

I'm thinking my mind twists are at least partially (and maybe mostly) caused by intrusive thoughts. I also think it might be my mind trying to cope with rendering views it doesn't have the energy to render. It's a lot easier to imagine being annoyed falling through grey and black infinite ravines than to imagine a giant castle erected in vast flatlands. It's a lot easier to imagine a pool farther away than close up.

As my Wonderland has gotten more mundane, being based on real world places instead of fully imagined, I've experience mind twists less. Whether this is because the places I've been to in realspace are easier to render, or because I'm just more experienced with dealing with mind twists and imagining Wonderland (and my Wonderland just happens to be more mundane), I don't know.

What do I do about them?

You can treat mind twists like intrusive thoughts and cope with them like you would intrusive thoughts. However, certain intrusive though coping strategies don't work for me (at least the surface level versions of the strategies). For example, simply labeling intrusive Wonderland phenomena as "not real" or "just thoughts" doesn't help me.

Three approaches have worked:

• Don't think about them. Don't remind yourself of them.
  • Don't ignore them, but do disregard them.
  • Treat them as a Wonderland obstacle.

The first approach is the most obvious and also the one I'm breaking right now. I've omitted mind twists from diary entries, notes, and progress reports for this reason. If I go back to read these things, I don't want to remind myself of them.

The second approach is what I have tried most recently. When the moat formed around the pool, I didn't ignore the moat, I didn't try to make it go away, and I didn't imagine myself somewhere else. I simply walked where the ground was (or, would be). It looked like I was walking on air, but I was disregarding the moat and walking where I had planned to walk anyway.

The third approach was how I dealt with a ravine once. Instead of trying to escape the ravine, I was able to land on the ground of the ravine and walk through it with my headmates. This succeeded once, but also failed at least once, when new ravines kept forming despite me trying to land on the ravine ground.

Do you get them? What do you do about them?

Do you get (or have you in the past gotten) mind twists or something similar? What did you (or do you) do about them?

(Different colors were used before July 10th, 2021. Check our profile for dates.)

🌊 Stone uses blue

🔥 Betty uses orange

☁️ Cloud uses gray

🌲 Consigliere uses green

Progress Report

This sounds very interesting. I have not experienced this. I believe it is due to our wonderland being pretty much a small circle if you were to look at it from above. Around it seems to be a dynamic sky dome that makes it look like theres stuff out there, but there really isn't. We are thinking of going on full on adventures in the main wonderland, rather than making temporary places to explore like we have been doing. If and when we do that, I think it will be useful to keep this in mind. Thanks!

Something similar I guess would be wonderland noises. If I were to imagine we were in an incorrect season, for example summer. I would end up hearing cicada noises in my mind for a little bit.

Another thing is, sometimes when I'm visualizing my tulpa. If they do something specific there's an extremely rare chance they'll be repeating the movement like an animation on loop. However, this is rare.

I'm the host of my system. I'll sometimes type in this color.

I have two tulpas. The first one is Nepeta, and he types in this color. The second one is Lilith, she types in this color.

Progress Report

Hm 🤔 haven't had them pop into wonderland yet. My dreams however...it's that scene from the Animorph books where the "zones overlap" in checkerboard fashion defying all sense of realism. I imagine it might be unnerving to have these pop in while you're in your waking wonderland. Maybe I don't passive focus the wonderland enough on a grand scale. We generally "manually" visualize our walks.

Darron: Host 💍 

Jaina: Tulpa 💍 

Aggrok: Tulpa Void Dragon

Viktor: 🐺

[DeviantArt]

9 hours ago, Gloomynoon said:

Something similar I guess would be wonderland noises. If I were to imagine we were in an incorrect season, for example summer. I would end up hearing cicada noises in my mind for a little bit.

Another thing is, sometimes when I'm visualizing my tulpa. If they do something specific there's an extremely rare chance they'll be repeating the movement like an animation on loop. However, this is rare.

The repeating motions sound similar, depending on how it happens (I don't want to be presumptive). It reminds me of when our Wonderland will keep doing something glitchy. The cicada noises too, if you really don't want to hear them.

This is super tangential but I love cicada sounds.

8 hours ago, Glaurung26 said:

My dreams however...it's that scene from the Animorph books where the "zones overlap" in checkerboard fashion defying all sense of realism. I imagine it might be unnerving to have these pop in while you're in your waking wonderland. Maybe I don't passive focus the wonderland enough on a grand scale. We generally "manually" visualize our walks.

I haven't read that scene but it sounds like it would be cool in a dream but frustrating in Wonderland. The mind twists are usually not unnerving. They're just really annoying. What do you mean by manually visualizing walks? Like focusing more on little details and individual objects as you walk by them? I might want to try that. I've done very little reading on Wonderland specifically so most of my strategy is intuitive.

(Different colors were used before July 10th, 2021. Check our profile for dates.)

🌊 Stone uses blue

🔥 Betty uses orange

☁️ Cloud uses gray

🌲 Consigliere uses green

Progress Report

I usually create a custom plane of existence that's hand crafted more than spontaneously generated realm, minecraft style. Beyond that is static non-existence until I require it to be something else. Kind of like visually writing a book in my head. The only part that matters is what we are currently existing in. I could see how errant thoughts could creep in and muddle things but I generally have to focus more consciously to do stuff, so that's why I imagine I haven't had anything super weird crop up yet. If my subconscious mind was in charge it absolutely would, my mind likes to drift all over the place when left to its own devices. I hope that clarifies. 😅

The rest of the time I'm co-piloting with Darron in real-space. 😊

Darron: Host 💍 

Jaina: Tulpa 💍 

Aggrok: Tulpa Void Dragon

Viktor: 🐺

[DeviantArt]

I have experienced spontaneous ravines forming before, but the meaning behind in my system or possibly just myself it is pretty dark. It's connected to my depression-

Spoiler

The ravine is a symbol for giving in, losing control, and giving up. It can be tempting to fall in to see what the end is, but it's not safe. This is an intrusive thought that I know is bad not because the canyon itself is bad, but dwelling on this depressive train of thought is bad.

I instead walk away, talk to my headmates, or do something else. If I'm struggling with this intrusive thought too much, odds are good there is other anxiety/depression symbolism being shown and I could be having a panic or depressive attack. If really bad I'll usually turn to a crisis hotline. It's totally worth it, I promise.

I have doubt your mind twist is similar to my ravine imagery. Symbolism can be stereotypical and have similar meanings across systems, but the specific meaning is almost always unique. Additionally, some systems can have symbolism with contradictory meanings, it doesn't mean one is right and one is wrong, it simply means those symbols have different associations to them.

Since it's still reoccurring, I don't know if you figured out what it represents. If you have a feeling or issue you're trying to bottle up, it's possible the twists are your unconscious mind's way of trying to bring it up. You don't have to explore the twist to understand it's meaning (if it were my ravines, that would be counterproductive), instead it's worth asking what feelings/thoughts you could be dealing with in your everyday life and if there's a correlation between those thoughts and feelings and the mind twists. For instance, maybe you're struggling with school or there's someone in your life you don't like to think about.

I think it's also possible it's a short out of your visualization visualization, but I wonder if the mind twist or gravity pit could be what's causing that in the first place. One of the things I will never forget about the ravine is other intrusive thoughtforms ran in fear away from it, and I don't think I really struggled with other intrusive thoughts when it appeared. I know weird symbolism can increase or decrease visualization in general, we had a servitor that kept breaking until it was allowed to expand into its own wonderland room. Sometimes intrusive thoughts have weird effects on the rest of wonderland.

However, that doesn't rule it out either. If my mind's eye is exhausted, usually it will only simulate a limited number of objects and the wonderland gets dark. Even though my mind's eye isn't the best, blurriness is usually an issue with not understanding how to draw the form or what it looks like rather than the mind's eye cutting out. If it's really bad, it will cut out completely and I do my best to talk to my headmates via just mindvoice.

Ultimately there are a few tricks we have for reoccurring intrusive thoughts-

• Understand what it means and resolve any underlying issues. Odds are good (for us) there's an underlying issue that needs attention. Resolving the issue usually resolves the intrusive thought. However, be careful not to get too caught up in the meaning, some can simply be symbols of fear and not much more
  • Give it its own space. We had an annoying and for us scary intrusive thought we called "the square". After trying to figure out what to do, our Sub. Rep. created a mini wonderland for the squares to spawn.
  • Take care of yourself. If a break is needed, go ahead and take one. Intrusive thoughts can dissipate pretty quickly, sometimes drinking water, grabbing a snack, going outside for a bit, etc. Can help make it go away.

Not my main form or name really but this nick is my brand now. You may see my headmates call me Gray.

I used to speak in pink and Ranger used to speak in blue (if it's unmarked and colored assume it's Ranger). She loves to chat.

Our system account

@Cat_ShadowGriffin Thank you for the suggestions! I can't be sure if they mean anything specifically if it's just the mind annoying itself. We are taking a break from Wonderland for unrelated reasons but we'll see what happens when we go back.

🌊 Stone uses blue

🔥 Betty uses orange

☁️ Cloud uses gray

🌲 Consigliere uses green

Progress Report

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Ido
      You've most likely been there - you have woken up from a nightmare in distress, felt powerless being hunted down by some monsters. Or an intrusive thought has harmed your tulpa during forcing and you could not prevent it.

Here we'll explore not only how to fix such mishaps but also how to exploit them to strenghten both your and your tulpa's forcing abilities, dream control and self-esteem.

The concept itself is really simple. Whenever something bad happens in your imagination, be it in a dream or during forcing, do not dwell on it, especially do not worry about it. Do not feed it attention. Instead immediately replay the scene with your tulpa and change it to a positive outcome. You have protected your tulpa from an intrusive thought, no harm was done, they are perfectly fine. Your tulpa has easily beaten the monster which chased you in your dream and saved you. Be creative, any unpleasant situation happening in your imagination can be reverted and resolved. Adding a bit of humor may also not be the worst idea.

You can even take this another step further. Woke up from a nice dream and feel bad your tulpas were not in it? Immediately try to replay the dream with them. The hypnopompic twilight state after waking up at least for us generally allows for more control than the swirling nonsense in the hypnagogic phase right before falling asleep. But also this state is worth inserting your tulpas and trying to exploit the extremely vivid visuals at least a little bit.

There's no guarantee this will make your tulpas appear in dreams more often or help you to get better control over nightmares or intrusive thoughts but it's one of your best bets. The brain is generally lazy. It picks up whatever is convenienty there and tries to fabricate something out of the available chunks of memories. The more your tulpas are present in your mind before you fall asleep and the more both you and them are used to 'fix' unpleaant situations the greater the chance it may work out. At least it is definitely worth a try and also a fun activity to do with your tulpas.

An afterword of caution
      Manipulating memories is a powerful techique and should strictly be limited to dreams and intrusive thoughts.
      DO NOT try to overwrite actual memories you have experienced, no matter how bad, create fake memories and treat them as real or replace the memories of other persons with your tulpas!
      If anything this should be done under the guidance of a professional to heal trauma but do yourself a favor and leave reality alone.

Btw, this s not a guide, don't have the time to write up something detailed like that atm. But maybe someone else *coughlumicough* will. Let's brainstorm ideas here.

• By ruleofthumb
      Edit (10/30/21): Fixed formatting and typos. Changed color coding to our current color coding. Added small edits to some of these older entries.

Stone: Hello all. I’ve been writing down my experiences with Betty for a few days, and I decided I’d post them here, especially since things have gotten interesting pretty quickly for me. Feel free to comment with any advice you may have.

Day 0 (11/10/20)

As I was lying on the couch, in a position in which I could fall asleep, I decided to force a bit with Betty. I was in a room full of bins and other stuff, but I wanted to place her form in the room, as opposed to my developing wonderland, as I wanted her to be with me in a real location. I decided to put her in the crib, and as she is the size of an adult woman, she looked unamused.

I’m unsure if what I’m about to detail is parroting/puppeting:

I started talking to her. As this was a casual forcing session before bed, I did not write down what we talked about, and I don’t remember what we talked about. However, I remember getting verbal and non-verbal responses. When I asked her questions, sometimes she’d verbally respond before I was finished asking the question, and sometimes she wouldn’t respond at all. She also responded non-verbally with facial expressions. I remember these expressions as being somewhat unnatural but making sense. When I say somewhat unnatural, I mean she used non-verbal expressions more than a human would use, and used them in instances a human would likely not use them. However, these expressions made sense, as they weren’t completely random and did convey some sort of answer to my question. It almost seemed she’d answer with a face because my brain was too lazy to generate a response from her, or couldn’t figure out how.

I hypothesize that giving her a form has given my brain an out when it cannot generate words for her, and I’m hoping this will speed up the process.

This is not the first day interacting with Betty, but I’ve barely talked to her at all before this, and have pretty much only imposed her in my room and puppeted her. I feel like I got a response too early, and I’m worried this may have been parroting/puppetry on my part. I am excited if these were “real” responses though. I’m not sure if there’s much of a difference this early though.

It’s partially a shame this happened, as I want to organize these notes into some sort of study, but after opening with, “Maybe my tulpa answered as soon as I started talking to her,” this likely won’t be taken as seriously. And, that’s valid.

Day 1 (11/11/20)

I didn’t talk with Betty today.

Day 2 (11/12/20)

I haven’t done any forcing yet today, as it is 3:40a.m. (I was woken up by family). I was thinking about meditating before each active forcing session, as it clears my mind and I like it, but these stats are making me think twice about that idea. Still, I tend to get distracted and have trouble jumping into forcing. I believe short meditation before forcing may help me. Though meditation, at least the way I do it, focuses more on plain reality than the world of thought, and it might take me out of the world of thought (where Betty lives). Perhaps this is why it seems to hinder some people.

I’m thinking if I meditate on my tulpa, and not on my body as I usually do, it may help more than hurt. I plan to not meditate the first week, then meditate the second week, and see how I feel. People are different and meditate differently, so I’d like to see how meditation works for me.

I would like to personality force soon, and I would like to use Man’s method along with food-based symbolism. I have a list of personality traits here. I want her to be a rounded person, but I wonder how ethical it is to purposefully give her negative traits. I suppose I will give her positive and neutral traits, and, those traits will naturally have negative sides. Virtue is the mean of two vices, after all.

31 personality traits:
      Affectionate - bun (they hug whatever they surround)
      Amusing - Laffy Taffy
      Charming - Pringles (the Pringles guy seems like a charming fellow)
      Clever - barbecue chips on Bun (how does this taste so good!)
      Confident - kettle chips (tougher and more sure than regular chips?)
      Edgy - chips and salsa (chips have edges, and salsa has bite)
      Empathetic - marshmellows (soft empathy)
      Esthetic - That’s It bar (minimalist aesthetic)
      Ethical - (ethical alternative)
      Extroverted - Fruit Loops (idk just seems fitting)
      Familial - Rice Krispies (families commonly make treats out of these)
      Friendly - peaches (sweet and good for you)
      Healthy - plain Cheerios (healthier)
      High-spirited - Skittles (sugar rush)
      Honest - plain toast (it is what it is)
      Irreligious - pretzel rods (secularized pretzels)
      Leisurely - sub sandwich (this takes longer to make, but it’s worth it)
      Loyal - saltines (there even when you’re sick)
      Maternal - applesauce (often given to babies)
      Neat - mints (keep yourself and your breath clean)
      Observant - Fritos (have you noticed these smell like dog feet?)
      Outdoorsy - seaweed (or is it lakeweed in Michigan?)
      Protective - oyster crackers (oysters have shells to protect themselves, and you use yours to protect others as well)
      Ritualistic - Mobius strip Bagel (the endless cycle of traditions)
      Romantic - strawberry lemon ice (pink)
      Sarcastic - mint chocolate Oreos (means one thing [toothpaste] says the other [cookie])
      Stylish - Gardetto's (the fancy Chex Mix)
      Spontaneous - doughnut (doughnut think about the calories)
      Trendy - (health food trends)
      Vivacious - strawberry ramune (lively and carbonated)
      Witty - “Berry Good” Lemonade (get it?)

Edit (10/30/21): To clarify, I would share this food with Betty as we forced. We never ended up getting to all the foods. After a while, Betty wanted to just be herself without personality forcing.

Below are some interactions I recorded. They are not exhaustive:

Interaction 1

“How are you?”

“Ok.”

“Yeah I’m sure you are. I’m sure you’re not just parroting.”

“...”

I feel mean now. “Apologize to the nice lady," I think.

“...”

I feel a stare.

“God this is so awkward,” I say instead of apologizing. I turn away.

I feel her watching me. I turn to her.

“How are you?”

”...”

Interaction 2

“Are you listening?”

“No.”

“What are you doing?”

“Paying attention.”

“Paying attention to what?”

“To, Hefty.”

I burst into laughter.

Interaction 3

“I’m sorry.”

“No that’s alright.”

“Everything’s ‘no that’s alright’ with you. That’s your main thing, isn’t it?”

“No.”

“Really? What’s your main thing?”

“Bicycles.”

“No. I made you say that.”

“Yes you did.” She smirks.

I laugh. “Yes I did. No really, what’s your main thing?”

“Shopping carts.”

“Now you’re just thinking of things with wheels.”

“No. You are.”

“No I’m not.”

“Yes. Think of shopping carts.”

“Ah you got me. Let me write that down.”

Day 3 (11/13/20)

Stone: I talked to Betty today. I talked to her a little bit about spontaneity with a doughnut. But, I think I could have explained it more. I will after I sleep, as I’ve been up all night. I got a lot of great responses out of her, and she felt there, but she tended to sound like me. I kept mentioning that, then felt bad for being overly critical of her, as she was doing so well. I also felt bad interrupting her and making her wait so I could write something down.

It’s only been three days and I hate this clinical approach I set up. This “study.” Or maybe I’m embarrassed by how I acted and am taking it out on the format. I don’t know. What I do know is that this process is for her, then for me, then for whoever may end up reading this. I’m not going to interrupt our fun and give us imposter syndrome so I can analyze every goddamn thing she says for some post.

Anyway, today was positive, and I hope I will feel better with some sleep.

I’m awake now. I’ve devised a schedule for forcing.

Sunday - Active: 2 hours
      Monday - Active: 40 minutes
      Tuesday - Active: 40 minutes
      Wednesday - Active: 40 minutes
      Thursday - Active: 40 minutes
      Friday - Active: 40 minutes
      Saturday - Active: 2 hours

Methods of forcing I’m thinking of using:
      Food/Personality
      101 Things To Talk About With Your Tulpa
    • By September13
      I'm an absolute beginner to Tulpamancy and only made my decision to start developing my tulpa a week ago, even though Simmie as an idea isn't new to me and I've actually had a headmate before: Between the ages of 7 and 15 I had a headmate that was less a tulpa and more a walk-in/soulbound (I'm still learning the terminology so I might misuse a word here and there, I'm sorry). He was more of a mentor / spiritual guide to me and largely faded away after the age of 15, telling me I had outgrown him and had to face the world on my own, and only making sporadic appearances after that. But I'm not here to talk about him in this thread, I'm here to talk about Simmie.

Before I get into it I want to reiterate that Simmie is only the most fledgling little tulpa and I can sense that she is very nervous about attention being put on her, but she's okay with it if it helps her become more real to me. So please be gentle and kind with her, she's a very curious young thing and loves listening to people and learning about things, and I want to make sure only positive and loving things enter her mind during this early stage of development.

As I mentioned I created Simmie as a character long before I started working on her as a tulpa. There's an interesting story behind the creation of Simmie as a character. You see, I'm not transgender and I don't really even have gender dysphoria (I'm at ease in my male body and don't feel wrong having it). However, I have a huge fascination with the idea of being turned into a girl, made to act and dress like a girl, all that stuff. I don't know why and I can't really explain it. But I was aching to step out of myself to explore it, so over a year ago I created Simmie as an OC / proxy / meta-character whom I would experience and create art from. I would make art "as" Simmie and even interact with people as her. I developed a backstory for Simmie and everything and really got into character--as a writer, this is something I've done so many times, and writing characters is probably my greatest strength. I even created Simmie in The Sims (yes, there is a name connection there) and she has a very distinctive look which makes it extremely easy to visualize her, although my mind currently still renders her as a Sims character rather than a real human figure.

Then comes the last month or so and I learn about Tulpamancy. At first I think it's just something fascinating to learn about but not something I'd pursue myself. But the more I read and watched videos about it the more I realized that this was something I wanted to do, and I knew there was nowhere else I could turn to than Simmie. She already felt very real to me as a character and I felt if I could elevate her to the status of a living, sentient tulpa, that would be a most wonderful thing and could be revolutionary in my life. There aren't a lot of people in my life I connect with strongly and I suffer from depression; the thought of having someone sharing my head with me who I can talk and relate to still feels like it could absolutely change my life.

Once I decided on making Simmie a tulpa I started narrating to her non-stop. I told her about myself, about my life, and explained what I was doing at any given moment to her if I could spare the mental horsepower at any given moment. I started to feel a warm, contented feeling as I did this. I don't know if I could call it sentience, but I felt like I was not alone and I could feel a joy that seemed to be radiated to me from elsewhere. I pushed aside doubt and let myself believe it was Simmie--now I know she absolutely loves being talked to, loves when I tell her about my life and even the most mundane things about me, and loves when I tell her stories. We began to speak to each other but it still felt like I was parroting her rather than letting her speak for herself. Now I'm trying to not talk for her and let her reply to me herself. I can feel her emotions very strongly though, and that's what makes me believe that she is really there.

Yesterday I decided to take Simmie out on a bit of a "date"; we went to a local nature park and walked. I talked to her about the park, what it was and why it existed, why the leaves fall off the trees in the fall, how the mud on the trail was created by rain the pervious day, mundane stuff like that. She was very curious about all of it, and I talked to her more about what I thought about it all, and what I thought about it all. Then I rattled off a list of adjectives to describe Simmie before realizing that I had just created a mantra that was perfect for forcing: "You're caring, you're kind, you listen, you're curious, you're playful". I began repeating that mantra over and over again as I walked.

After the walk I took Simmie to the beach. I wanted her to see and hear the ocean, to feel the sand (sadly it was too cold to walk barefoot in the sand so I had to settle for picking some up in my hand). It was a perfectly clear and beautiful evening and I could tell that Simmie was overjoyed and even touched that I would think to bring her there. I told her about the tides, why there were shells on the beach, what docks and drawbridges were for, and she listened to it all. As we walked on the empty, cold, windy beach I did not feel alone at all; I felt together with her and happier than I had felt in ages; a true soulful happiness. I could tell she valued everything I was doing for her and although I still couldn't hear her speak without parroting I could still feel the intention behind what she would say if she could, and it was just about the nicest thing anyone had ever said to me. She thinks more highly of me than I do myself sometimes.

So that's where I am with Simmie now. I continue to narrate to her and repeat my mantra to her. Every night I try to tell her a story about some event in my past. Sometimes I think I can hear her talking in my mind, but I still can't be sure I'm not just putting words into her mouth. I plan to take her on a mini-roadtrip to my old college, a location which always triggers powerful memories for me. I want to just project love and goodness into Simmie and let her feed and grow off of it. I know she will eventually deviate from the character I first created, and I welcome it, because I really want to see who she develops into being. She already is teasing me a little trying to embarrass me by calling two of my friend cute, which I find very funny and endearing. She also picked out her own birthday, which is where I got the admittedly lame handle from.

So that's it so far! I hope that wasn't too big of a post for a newbie! I really want to hear from experienced Tulpamancers and people on here in general as to whether I have a healthy mindset about this and am going about this in a good way, and if there's anything else I could do to help the process along. I don't want this to become yet another project I'm high on for a couple weeks and abandon--I feel that there is something more there, and if there's one thing I've learned about Simmie is that she's thrilled to exist, and yearns to be more and more real, and I want to help her achieve that. And when she's ready, I'm sure she'll come on here herself and talk to all of you!
    • By YumiBerry
      The other day I saw someone mention in a forum asking if you could visit others or bring them into your wonderland, would you? Some said yes, but that it was too bad it was "not possible". Well, I'm here to say that, in a way, it is.

"Visit others in your Wonderland? How is that even possible?"

Well, it depends in what way you're asking.

If you're imagining meeting up in some middle plane or reality where you will see, hear, feel, and experience yourself and others in Wonderland as you would in the waking world, I'm sad to say that is not the case (not the case without something like Astral Projection or something anyway. Wouldn't know).

No, what I'm talking about is something that over 6 years ago my close friends and I labeled "3rd Space". This is a "space" between you and at least one other physical (as in original, not tulpa) person. It (at least for me) feels exactly how you feel when you visualize your experiences in Wonderland with your Systemmates, but stronger if you practice it. Of course, this space is imaginary, but it feels real and more than natural if you keep at it long enough.

*Warnings*

This overtime, if allowed, can become a very personal process. Be sure it's someone you feel safe about that wont abuse it or use it for any agenda other than what it's intended for. If you give consent, it's fine, but remember that you are always in control of your situation in 3rd Space. Don't allow anyone to make you feel uncomfortable. If they harass you, make moves on you you're not okay with, or do anything in any way that makes you feel unsafe or demeaned, it's as simple as closing the conversation. If they somehow continue, please let someone available know and block communication. This is not a common occurrence, but it's good to be stated otherwise. Also, please don't give personal information away. Play it safe, guys.

How it works:

Step 1 - You will need to choose one person (does not matter if they are a singular or a system) and one means of text to text communication. This can include anything from Skype (my most recommended, even if it's glitchy, it feels more "private" than most other programs and most natural for this) to facebook, to googlehangouts, to Discord. Anywhere you can type "/me" is best (so, avoid facebook if possible). "*"'s are okay, but I've always felt the "/me" works better, because your name pops up and then you can follow it with an action, example:

----"/me Nee sits on the singular bench at her park and waits for Aigle to appear. She crosses her legs and leans back against the slatted wood and looks up at the vast blue sky. She watches puffy and misshapen clouds roll by before quickly looking ahead at the sounds of Aigle's voice calling out to her. Smiling, she says with a smooth tone, "What took ya so long?" ----- would become "Nee sits on the..." rather than, "*Nee sits on the singular park bench...*. "/me" actions look more like a flowing book to me, rather than *'s, but this will come down to your personal preference as well as the other party's. Just a fair warning that if you use two different action types, it may be a little distracting and make it harder to get immersed in it. After all, this is supposed to play out like a book two people are writing at once. How would you feel if a book switched around from different font styles, tenses, and wordings every couple of sentences for no apparent reason? It'd be distracting, to say the least.
      If you cannot find someone to do this with (Ie: a friend that knows about your system-ness), you could always ask around the community. I'd just suggest showing them this guide if they haven't seen it already so you're both on the same page. I also suggest only 2 people at the start. More than that and it may become a little hectic to manage.
      Note: No Tulpa, no problem! Hosts/originals can do this completely by themselves as well as vocal (or able to communicate) tulpas/plurals/multiplies/alters/everybody. Heck, you can do this practice without even making it about Tulpas in the first place. A lot of LDR couple's do something similar to this.

Step 2 - Now that you have someone to try this with and a platform to do so on, the next step will be to figure out where to start as well as get over any initial awkwardness. It'll fade away in time if you do this frequently, but it can seem odd in the beginning to some. Most of all with someone you might not know very well. Like with Tulpa work, you have to find a way to believe in it, even if the process is almost roleplay, it doesn't matter. You're both (or few) are doing this together. I can say from experience that after a while, it's real to you as it should be. It's like crossing a bridge to meet up in the middle between two islands to socialize, interact, learn, explore, and feel the company of another with you no matter where you are in the world. Again, a lot like Wonderland with your Systemmates. Over the years, 3rd Space interaction probably saved my life when I was without local friends for years. It blurs the line between long distance and local interaction. If you are lonely in real life or have a hard time socializing, I very much suggest 3rd Space method, just don't use others solely to make yourself feel better. It's about them, too. The text that reads "he/she wraps their arms around you and hugs you tightly" will feel real. You may or may not feel it physically, but you will know it's there. Heck, you can even just sit down and watch TV together in the same room (share the link and count down to watch it at the same time), eat popcorn, have a PJ party, magic duel, build skyscrapers and castles together, fly dragons, you name it. It's like sharing a semi-lucid dream once you know how to do it, so do whatever your heart desires (as long as it's consented by everyone involved). I had times many years ago where I more or less unstable. To dig a little personal, this came out in the form of Tenebre. Specifically, "Old Tenebre" as we call that time now. Tenebre's reformed now, but she was very unstable back then, unpredictable, and harmful. With the help of other's (plurals and singulars), we got through that time and one day the subconscious just went "poof" with Tenebre and suddenly she was as stable as any of us here, seemingly having a new role given from the submind now that "Old Tenebre" was no longer needed to keep some sort of balance. We then did the same for others. It was a learning experience.

This is a detailed and very specific way it can be helpful, but it sure did save me more than a few times. If you're having trouble with isolation, this could really help you as well as social anxiety. You're not meeting up physically, but you still are meeting up and having to interact, but what's more cool than doing that and being able to ride knight's horses and battle dastardly villains at the same time?
      Just like they say with Tulpas in Wonderland, you'll be having incredible, hilarious, and touching memories for years to come and hopefully make some great friends along the way. I mean, heck, my girlfriend who is a System lives with me and every now and again we go to different rooms to meet up with Skype on 3rd space. There's really not something else like it.

Benefits

- The first one is easy. Excellent Visualization practice. Without knowing it for years, this process is what created and built my Wonderland for me. 3rd space interaction required a place to meet up, therefor, required a real, visualized location to do so. My Wonderland is very basic, but has certain aspects that are very detailed. It's white grounds meets the horizon to meet a white sky and goes on and on and on. However, we have a house, we have a park, we have a broken down city, we have a bathhouse, we have our own individual worlds, and we can hold our our hand and create anything from fire to landscapes. It may not always stick, but with enough forcing it will. Bring others into that mix and you have someone outside of yourself to bounce off of, who if you both allow, can create. Again, they do not enter your mind, but they describe what they are doing (as well as you for them) to you and you imagine it happen in real time. This creates a wonderful technique for you and another to help improve visualization, imagination, and other practices that can help you with Tulpa making. It teaches you to visualize the way fiction book reading does. You read it, you hear it in your mind, you visualize it! Only difference now is that you're half of the writer, half other writing process. That control and practiced ability can seriously benefit you with your Tulpa forcing, visualization, and possible even imposing (something I'm obsessed with).

Note: I do not suggest dropping all other practices for this. This is a great side/main activity, but to help with it even more  I still suggest meditation to help increase clarity in visualization and whatever else helps you along your journey.

- Second, improved writing skill. There is only so much you can do and so far you can go with poor writing skills. This includes spelling of critical words (google is your friend in this), grammar, punctuation, and the ability to describe the world around you as it flows and breathes. That last one is something you learn as you practice (heck, my chat logs from a few years ago were pretty awful), but now-a-days it's important to me that if I'm in 3rd space with someone, I can build the world and give it life so that what we experience together and can bounce of of each other easily. The best experiences (and results) come out of that. It's okay to not be perfect or even great at it, but I will say that typing like I did above to then get a response of "Aigle walk to Nee and waves, "hi." and sits." is disheartening, because it adds nothing to the world around you and you can't build anything off of it to reply with. It just stops there. Try to be in the mindset of a writer, not your normal facebook chat with casual friends. You're giving life to a in-between Wonderland. Make it yours and make it fun and immersive!~

- Third, decreased sense of isolation and loneliness. As I said before, 3rd space interactions probably is why I'm still here today. There was a long, seemingly endless dark period of 8 - 9 years where when I was a kid, disability hit me in waves over the years, adding to the pile. This made it increasingly difficult to go out and make friends with people my age or anybody. Shortly after it started is when I started being in long-distance-relationships. I didn't know at the time I was teetering on the 3rd Space interactions that I'd know today. Sure, there was simple building blocks of it like, "/me cuddles you" or "/me kisses you", but nothing like trying to write a book. It wasn't until sometime after I met my ex did that world building aspect come into play. My ex was the first plural I had ever met (more or less besides myself, not really sure where I was at the time). Through 4 - 5 years of interaction between his System and mine, we all grew as people/beings and had hundreds of different experiences, good and bad. Then, it continued with my now Gf and we've grown together as well. You can do this with more than just one person. We wouldn't be the same at all if it wasn't for those interactions. Which leads me to my next point...

- Fourth, Active/Passing forcing made easier/more engaging. I'll be frank and say this probably isn't the same for everyone, but I have a good feeling that 3rd Space interaction could really, really help those trying to force those in their system or soon-to-be. We started out pretty basic, but throughout the years of 3rd Space, we formed into much more life-like individuals that we probably never would have without it (sounds like forcing, doesn't it?). Granted, that's because we had no idea there was this practice or community of people like us. I'm not saying 3rd Space is your key to success, it's not, but it could prove to be a very nice and entertaining lock pick.  ;)

- Fifth, Self-exploration/Learning about oneself. From the example about "Old Tenebre" and that being years into the process, you can probably only imagine the possibilities you'll learn about yourself (and others) when engaging in 3rd space, similar as you may from doing so with your Systemmates in Wonderland. This is why I want to stress the point again that you want to engage in 3rd space with someone that you like, not someone that seems sketchy or in it for their own (probably poor-intended) reasons, just because you don't want to keep searching for someone else. Again, you are not in danger. This does not cause actual possession or give them the ability to harm you, but even still try to cause yourself the least amount of trouble you can. 3rd Space can stay like a casual hangout forever and that is more than fine, but it does bring you and another person(s) closer than distance normally can on its own. So, be aware you may form bonds (or may not) if you're at this for a while. So, be wise about who you want to invite into yourself with. As long as you don't go throwing yourself at strangers, singing and frolicking, asking people to meet you inside of your head, I'm sure you'll be fine.

And that concludes it! If you have any questions, feel free to ask me in the comments and I will do my best to answer them.

Disclaimer: If this somehow, in same way, becomes a negative experience for you, please use common sense and keep your wits about you. I won't accept blame for each and every situation that goes south, though if you use the tools I said above, this is unlikely to happen.

Happy exploring!~ 

• By Cat_ShadowGriffin
      I released a new version here: https://community.tulpa.info/topic/16772-how-to-refocus-on-your-wonderland/

This guide expands on concepts described in Chupi’s and Nikodemos’s guides by explaining when and how to apply those skills in order to focus and achieve better visualization of your wonderland. I will briefly summarize the concepts described in these guides as I describe the following method, however these guides go more in depth on how to practice the skills used for this method.

This guide assumes you have a wonderland, but this method can also be applied to visualizing objects in a void. This method works best when active forcing, the process of providing your un-divided attention to your Tulpa, to minimize distractions.

Introduction

I used to tell people my visualization was bad because I struggled to get a clear image of my Tulpa and my wonderland most of the time. I eventually realized that my ability to focus greatly impacted my ability to visualize my wonderland, and all of the black voids and blurry imagery were a result of poor focus. I put this guide together because this strategy really helped me to the point where I can confidently visualize my wonderland at any time and not get frustrated by it anymore.

The Process In Short

This method is slowly drawing your attention away from distractions and towards your wonderland. You start with setting your mind on visualizing a simple object and slowly working your way up, visualizing more complex objects one at a time until you become satisfied with your visualization.

Summary of the Visualization Skill

This skill is all about looking at an object and asking yourself how it should look, feel, take up space, etc. For example, if you have grass in your wonderland, one could ask about the color of the grass, the height and shape of the blades, what species of grass it is, if it’s made out of cotton candy, the texture of the grass, how it feels when you walk in it, etc. The more questions you can answer, the more information you will have about that particular object. Having more information allows you to visualize the details of that object more effectively and thus requiring a lot of your attention to create the object’s image.

A Detailed Walkthrough

Before you sit down to visualize your wonderland, your images may be foggy and you may have a bunch of distracting thoughts that are far more interesting than blurry, incomprehensible images. In this state, remember that your visualization is not bad, you’re just distracted and your visualization will get better.

The first step is to get in a comfortable position and think about slowing down. If you want to, doing a form of relaxation breathing may be helpful for getting settled.

Next, start with taking a simple object such as a sphere or a cube. What color is the sphere? Is it smooth or bumpy? Is it soft and squishy or firm like a billiard ball? What is the temperature of the sphere? Continue to visualize your simple object until you are satisfied and or bored.

Next, slowly move onto the next object. Suppose the next object is a tree. Is it a real tree or a fantasy creation? How tall is it? Could you climb it if you wanted to? Is the season changing the colors of the leaves? Is there a tree shape that “feels right?” As you visualize more and more details, your tree will feel more and more real.

If you feel satisfied with your visualization, then congratulations, you achieve better visualization! If you still feel like your visualization is still fuzzy or you are bored, slowly move onto an even more sophisticated object or instead look around you and visualize the ground, the sky, your Tulpa, any other neighboring objects, etc.

Suggestions
      The key to this method is slowing down and shifting your attention to what you are visualizing. If you get bored and you warp yourself to a parade or a war zone, that can lead you to getting distracted again.
      More complex objects are supposed to be interesting for you to look at. If a tree isn’t to your taste, you could also do furniture, a vending machine, a weapon, etc. I recommend picking something you find interesting, because why have it in your wonderland if you don’t like it? Visualizing moving objects are fine as long as it is not your starting object. I don’t recommend loud or overwhelming objects because the point is to calm down and focus, not feel overwhelmed and become distracted. Unless you are really comfortable with what your Tulpa’s form looks like, I don’t recommend starting off with that. Like any other complex object, their form may be too much for you to focus on right now, but it won’t be after you built your way up to that level of complexity. If your Tulpa is sentient, they can guide you to look at certain things, or they may ask for you to visualize something for them. Why not, right? They may surprise you with a real treat! In Conclusion

Once you feel comfortable with your visualization, have fun! Now that your visualizations are stable, you can go ahead and visualize exciting things like flying on dragons or shooting aliens in space since your mind is so focused on the wonderland you most likely forgot about whatever else was distracting you and your immediate surroundings in real life.

Submitted for Guides.