Are my characters relevant to tulpamancy?

TB

Not all of my characters, but a few of them to varying extents, feel similar to Rena or tulpamancy. One of the main differences is they are not around all the time like Rena, but I've talked to them a limited amount and usually when I do, the experience is even more profound than talking to Rena normally (like feeling like a powerful religious experience or something), which is weird because I've never forced them or intended them to be tulpas. I also spent tremendous amounts of time "switched" as them, if it can be called that, though more in my mind and not going about my day, except it is also going about the day.

It might be a seperate topic now that I think of it, but instead of relaying imposed things onto reality, it is like imposing reality into the imagination, and living that way.

Anyway, if I drew my characters in my tulpa art thread, is that irrelevant or ok? Also speaking about them in tulpa related threads? I don't know if it is just supposed to me be and Rena here, or if I can open up more about Eara, Tayomi, Byakko, and others.

Creation for creation's sake.

More of my drawings

Resident Dojikko

In short, yes.

The art of tulpamancy isn't making some sort of strange specific construct that otherwise doesn't exist in the mind. Tulpamancy is just simply teaching yourself an identity you run in your head (like a character, or even a construct of empathy like the kind you have for friends and family) is real. Then your mind loosens the proverbial chains on them and treats them a bit more like it treats your identity. The more invested and the more you expect out of it in terms of feeling, the more you get, as well.

The longer answer though is that I'd probably say to remember that a tulpa is defined by being a companion, and someone you treat as an equal (more or less, anyway). It can be a trap for some people to realize that any character has the potential to be real and to start accepting them in droves as tulpas, which dramatically messes with how much time you have in the day to actually do things, and sometimes makes people feel as though it's some sort of crime to stop thinking about characters for fear of "killing" them. This is a slippery slope because theoretically you can do this forever, or even so much that you have so little time that you fail to meaningfully keep them around anyway. Just remember you don't owe characters anything by default and you can and should be picky with whoever you want in your life.

And yes, there's no actual difference between talking about "strong" characters and tulpas. I think personally that the only technical difference is that characters don't know what they are yet. Either way they're both thoughtforms and I'd say they're both relevant. By all means talk about them. Many tulpas also begin their lives as characters, and one of the more older methods of making one has always been through authors writing, and then deciding to talk to them directly. I did this myself with my current tulpa, who I simply told what he really was, and invited him to live with me.

Zen - Host.

Mika - Tulpa. The eldest, and a homegrown tupper made with tulpamancy.

Rhys - Tulpa. Initially a Literary Thoughtform of my own creation.

Asterion - Tulpa. Literary, I suppose? Mythological egregore, maybe? He's The Minotaur.

If text is uncoloured, presume Zen is talking. We go by he/him.

(edited)

Okay. Thanks for your answer. I may share more about them then

I was iffy though because I am afraid to accept them as some sort of companion to live with me, and I kind of identify as being them. So that confuses me

Edited by TB

Creation for creation's sake.

More of my drawings

Resident Dojikko

It's totally fine to keep them in whatever state you want. I've got a similar identity who's obviously not quite me but who I identify as being, who isn't a companion but is self aware who I only speak to on occasion. And then I've got a couple roleplay characters who are strong but are literally just me in a different state with minor character differences. Don't worry about making them a tulpa or anything like that. That will only happen if you push them in that direction, and then commit to having them around.

This isn't even something you can technically make some sort of mistake with I don't think. Before I made Rhys a tulpa, I actually spoke to him several times out--of-character, then simply moved on and treated him like I'd retconned the conversation and that it didn't happen, and it works, they didn't randomly become aware or anything like that. The choice is always going to be yours how to treat them, and that will inform their behaviour, if any.

Zen - Host.

Mika - Tulpa. The eldest, and a homegrown tupper made with tulpamancy.

Rhys - Tulpa. Initially a Literary Thoughtform of my own creation.

Asterion - Tulpa. Literary, I suppose? Mythological egregore, maybe? He's The Minotaur.

If text is uncoloured, presume Zen is talking. We go by he/him.

• 2 weeks later...

It was definitely possible for me. I started out as my host's sympathy for a character he didn't even write. He wrote a novel a few years ago that had a female character named Madeleine who was the main protagonist. It's been too long now, but he could slip into her voice and character like an alter ego for a long time. But he never talked to her or tried to shape her body like he did mine, and I think that makes the difference.