What is the difference between a wonderland and imagination?

TB

I've spent a tremendous amount of time in my imaginations in various places made up on the spot for internal interactions etc, but then when I started tulpamancy I deliberately made up a consistent home space, and through image streaming discovered several reoccurring areas. The latter feels very separate from just playing in my imagination normally, but are they the same place?

Creation for creation's sake.

More of my drawings

"Wonderland" is just the tulpamancy term for the usually-stable/consistent (but not necessarily so) imagined world you interact with your tulpa in. Like many terms, it's basically optional. You could just imagine interacting with your tulpa however whenever and have no consistent place in mind. And even if you do, you don't have to call it your "wonderland", but that's the term we use here.

Related (actually exactly the same), "Wonderlanding" is sometimes used as a verb to refer to imagining spending time with your tulpa in the same way. Usually it implies more "adventure/explore"-y stuff, but it can be used just for hanging out too. 

I created a house and nearby terrain to interact with my tulpas in a long time ago (actually made it to have somewhere to go when lucid dreaming where it'd be natural to see my tulpas), but our imagination isn't particularly vivid, so it's perfectly static (unchanging), and we usually just sit in some restaurant booths near the front of the house and talk there. We consider that wonderlanding, for example. But there's also a bridge out under a waterfall that leads to a swamp Lucilyn added later, and she's gone swimming there in the past, and we've gone on walks through the place. That's perhaps more traditionally what people would use the term wonderlanding for.

A lot of people like to explore new places constantly though, and some people's "wonderlands" basically consist of everywhere they've ever imagined/created, or other weird dimensions or so on. So yeah, it's a pretty loose term, but it's useful to get a point across quickly.

A bonus bit, actually: In our case specifically, imagination of my tulpas that doesn't take place in our wonderland tends to be just actual imagining of them, and not actually them. This isn't a rule and I could imagine them wherever and actually be interacting with them, but I don't. So having a designated wonderland also helps differentiate when I'm just imagining them (so it's not really them) versus actually interacting with them.

Edited by Luminesce

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us stuff.

(edited)

Okay, I suppose the term is vaguer than I thought.

And are all non tulpa entities in wonderland (which is potentially all of imagination) NPCs then? Are NPCs automatic or puppeted?

Edited by TB

Creation for creation's sake.

More of my drawings

Phil and I don't like to complicate things so there aren't really NPCs in our wonderland. Sometimes we'll imagine friends (including community members!) staying at our house, but of course it's not literally them, it's our imagined version of them. The only thing that's like an NPC is our cat Nigel. I created him a few months ago. I don't know how much he's really autonomous. He certainly has a personality, but if I want to imagine him cuddling on my lap he's there; I don't have to call him and hope he comes. Otherwise he's usually out exploring the world "off-screen". So I guess he's mostly an NPC that possibly has some small tokens of free will.

Tulpa Wife Extraordinaire! 💚 - 💍 11.28.21

Things Simmie Likes

Stone: I call anytime I imagine being somewhere with my tulpae (or alone, rarely) in first-person POV "Wonderland". Sometimes it's consistent and sometimes it isn't. I otherwise never imagine things from first-person POV, so it always feels like a distinct thing I'm practicing rather than just imagining. I can tell the difference between imagining my tulpae doing things and interacting with them directly in Wonderland. But how much of a difference is there actually? I don't know, and it doesn't really matter to me. All that matters to me is that I can tell the difference, no matter how subjective that difference is.

(I'm on a break from the forums)

I'm Stone, the host of Betty, Cloud, and Consigliere. We once used varied colors to speak; that info is in our About Me.

Chat with us or ask us questions in our lounge thread or check out our progress report. Betty and I have open DMs and are generally friendly!

NPCs are automated in the sense that your imagination automates things. They aren't fully autonomous and sentient and all that or they'd be tulpas, but the difference is presumably the same as imaginary friends versus tulpas. That being, imaginary friends (and NPCs) are more easily influenced by you/your imagination and less consistently "a person" - their personality and ways of acting may be fleshed out, but their more in-depth thoughts and feelings aren't as well-defined as a tulpa's.

But as always, there's not some magic switch that turns on and suddenly creates a tulpa who's clearly defined as completely inherently different from an imagined character you know super well. It's all just soft mind-stuff, not preexisting well-defined phenomena you're going to automatically fall into. So it's very possible to push the development of a character you don't intend to be a tulpa into basically tulpa territory. Bear struggled with this a lot as he often couldn't tell the core difference between his tulpas and his other imagined characters.

While there's no solid lines drawn within our brains for this, there's a few common factors in what people choose to consider a tulpa versus an NPC or imagined character. First and foremost, a tulpa is almost always far more aware of your real, waking life, of the body, and of imagination or the wonderland's transient nature. NPCs usually do not have this awareness, and when they do it is basically exclusively "irrelevant" to them, as the imagined world is their reality. If it's not irrelevant to them and they have that awareness, along with a complex fleshed out personality and autonomy, honestly you may just have a wonderland-bound tulpa you've never brought to whatever more conscious space you interact with your tulpas in.

And lastly, perhaps most importantly - the host's intent for a character or tulpa is kind of the final say on their place in the mind. If you fully intend for characters to be NPCs/imaginary characters and only think of them that way, then even if you get to know them really well and they become very fleshed out, they shouldn't really become "tulpas". And if you intend for a character to become a tulpa, being aware of your waking life (or at least the not-real nature of imagination, even if they choose to live within it) and the other processes of your brain, they should become a tulpa over time if they aren't already.

Edited by Luminesce

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us stuff.

On 12/4/2021 at 2:11 PM, TB said:

I've spent a tremendous amount of time in my imaginations in various places made up on the spot for internal interactions etc, but then when I started tulpamancy I deliberately made up a consistent home space, and through image streaming discovered several reoccurring areas. The latter feels very separate from just playing in my imagination normally, but are they the same place?

I agree with Lumi, but I want to emphasize that the difference boils down to the label. If you label a place in your imagination a wonderland, it becomes a wonderland, regardless of what the underlying definition is.

I consider a wonderland to be different from other imagined places mostly because I interact with my tulpas in the "wonderlands", but that's not necessarily the case in out system even. I used to speak with my headmates in our original wonderland, but that wonderland is a few buildings/settings that are assumed to somehow connect and not one continuous landscape with a lot of thought or effort put into it. However, my idea for what a wonderland is isn't really practiced in-system. Most of the time my headmates interact with weird stuff in a void if they interact with an imaginary setting at all, and I still deem this wonderland because my headmates are "wonderlanding", or doing things in an imagined space. Even the "interact with my tulpas" rule is more of a suggestion, we barely use the "old wonderland" anymore and we have this newish experimental space that is a wonderland not because it's really dedicated for interaction but designed to test out tulpamancy concepts. I guess a wonderland is simply a place that is special for whatever reason, maybe related to tulpamancy for one reason or another.

On 12/4/2021 at 2:31 PM, TB said:

Okay, I suppose the term is vaguer than I thought.

And are all non tulpa entities in wonderland (which is potentially all of imagination) NPCs then? Are NPCs automatic or puppeted?

Not all non-tulpa entities are NPCs, things like wonderland trees and symbolism servitors probably don't fit the NPC description. NPCs can be automatic (like a story character) or completely scripted, saying the same thing over and over again.

I agree with Lumi otherwise.

Not my main form or name really but this nick is my brand now. You may see my headmates call me Gray.

I used to speak in pink and Ranger used to speak in blue (if it's unmarked and colored assume it's Ranger). She loves to chat.

Our system account