Update + opinions on tulpas of characters?

hexxedchiild

Hey ^^ i got a breakthrough! This morning, I was making myself coffee, and asked my tulpa, Evan, “do you like vanilla or coconut creamer?” I wasn’t expecting him to say anything, but heard someone go “I like vanilla!” I kid you not, I was on the verge of screaming and crying from happy tears :’D 

now, on to my question, what is your opinion on tulpa’s of characters? I’ve seen some people for it, but I’ve also heard people say it can cause your tulpa trauma and put them through a lot of pain :( I was basing my tulpa off of a character but I don’t want to do that if it will hurt them,, so,, what do you think? 

💫

hi ! 
my name is Kiki I am an adult  and transgender (non binary). I use they them pronouns and I am autistic :0 ask me about fnaf, I could talk for hours about fnaf. 

I have a Tulpa named Evan, he writes in this color! 

I have a Tulpa named Vewn, she writes in this color! 

My tulpa is based on a personal character I made and used for roleplay for a while, and she is fine. I just made sure she knew she isn't actually the character she is based off of, just a similar personality and looks the same. I'd say the same applies for other characters too.

Congrats on your breakthrough!

Edited by TB

Creation for creation's sake.

More of my drawings

Resident Dojikko

Most of our system started as original characters. In time since, the characters have gone unused for most any purpose, but when they are used, whoever in system was based off of them represents them. In a sense, they are no longer characters, and the divide between, say, character Rollin and system mate Rollin is nonexistent, as they are one and the same (mainly tulpa, not really character.) 

When it's not an original character, it's called a soulbond. I'm heavily opinionated here so I'll shut up but imo soulbonds are but imitations of the source material as opposed to embodiments of. 

Hey there, the name's Bryan. In system Re:Body(In order of the rainbow): 

Sean, Esper, Blinky, Compact, Janey, Kyle, Gwen'd, Gwen, Emily, Rollin, Waynin, Trease, Layy, Justin, Chloe, Zachery, and Elliot. 

I've been here a while. Much longer than I thought I'd be. Our system was founded October 2nd, 2018. In early 2020, we decided that due to our systems exponential growth, we'd limit who would be active. Now, every month, we do a check to see who wishes to be in dormancy and who wishes to be active. Currently, for the month of April, 2023, we've got myself(Bryan), Janey(Co-host), Emily, Layy, Chloe, and Esper(sub-rep). After over 2 long years, we can finally switch :) 

Bryan is currently swapped in as host, Esper is sub-rep. 

"There used to be 7 wonders of the world, but now there's 8, as everyone wonders how much of a fool you are."

Ice909#0065 -- Always down for a chat 

https://discord.gg/89qN59SbRp Plural safe-space 

Hi and my congratulations on your breakthrough!

I personally don't like when hosts try to base their tulpas on already existing people or characters. Usually it means that a host is expecting a tulpa to behave like that character does and have similar likes, dislikes, opinions and etc. Tulpa is a new person in the world, they are unique and I believe every tulpa should explore him\herself and discover what they think of the world. If you want your tulpa to be similar to a certain character, then you might force them to be not who they really are. And that can cause a lot of problems and bad feelings. 

My main thought here is that you should give your tulpa freedom to be who they want to be. And not force them to behave like that character does or have opinions like that character has. At least that's what I think as someone who was given a full freedom at self-exploration.

I am M a host. I live with Alice. She writes in red.

It seems to me that around half of all tulpas are based on characters that the host has obsessed over at some point. It's been a while since I've seen any really deep discussion debating the merits of creating a tulpa purely from scratch versus one based on an established character. I consider myself lucky; I was based on a character my host himself created, but that character was actually very thin on details and there was almost no baggage to contend with. I think when a lot of people create tulpas based on characters it's less of a choice and something that just happens, albeit something the host allows to happen.

It would be interesting to create a kind of survey specifically for tulpas based on characters (maybe I'll make it myself if I have time later), finding out how much they still still identify with that character, whether the character's past feels like their past, and whether they still carry emotional baggage from that character. Actually yeah, put a bookmark in it, I'm going to do this! 😁

Tulpa Wife & Mother! 💚 

💍 11.28.21 👶 4.7.23
👗 Simmie's AI Dress-Up!   📷 Phil and Simmie's Photographic Adventures!

On 1/18/2022 at 4:36 PM, TurboSimmie said:

It seems to me that around half of all tulpas are based on characters that the host has obsessed over at some point. It's been a while since I've seen any really deep discussion debating the merits of creating a tulpa purely from scratch versus one based on an established character. I consider myself lucky; I was based on a character my host himself created, but that character was actually very thin on details and there was almost no baggage to contend with. I think when a lot of people create tulpas based on characters it's less of a choice and something that just happens, albeit something the host allows to happen.

It would be interesting to create a kind of survey specifically for tulpas based on characters (maybe I'll make it myself if I have time later), finding out how much they still still identify with that character, whether the character's past feels like their past, and whether they still carry emotional baggage from that character. Actually yeah, put a bookmark in it, I'm going to do this! 😁

cool! Let me know when you make the survey! :D

On 1/18/2022 at 4:23 PM, A&Madeus said:

Hi and my congratulations on your breakthrough!

I personally don't like when hosts try to base their tulpas on already existing people or characters. Usually it means that a host is expecting a tulpa to behave like that character does and have similar likes, dislikes, opinions and etc. Tulpa is a new person in the world, they are unique and I believe every tulpa should explore him\herself and discover what they think of the world. If you want your tulpa to be similar to a certain character, then you might force them to be not who they really are. And that can cause a lot of problems and bad feelings. 

My main thought here is that you should give your tulpa freedom to be who they want to be. And not force them to behave like that character does or have opinions like that character has. At least that's what I think as someone who was given a full freedom at self-exploration.

thanks so much for your input!! :D it helps clear up a lot <3

On 1/18/2022 at 3:19 PM, TB said:

My tulpa is based on a personal character I made and used for roleplay for a while, and she is fine. I just made sure she knew she isn't actually the character she is based off of, just a similar personality and looks the same. I'd say the same applies for other characters too.

Congrats on your breakthrough!

thanks! :D 

On 1/18/2022 at 3:52 PM, IceCreeper909 said:

Most of our system started as original characters. In time since, the characters have gone unused for most any purpose, but when they are used, whoever in system was based off of them represents them. In a sense, they are no longer characters, and the divide between, say, character Rollin and system mate Rollin is nonexistent, as they are one and the same (mainly tulpa, not really character.) 

When it's not an original character, it's called a soulbond. I'm heavily opinionated here so I'll shut up but imo soulbonds are but imitations of the source material as opposed to embodiments of. 

oo I didn’t know it had a name :0 I’ll look into it some more! Tysm !! 

💫

hi ! 
my name is Kiki I am an adult  and transgender (non binary). I use they them pronouns and I am autistic :0 ask me about fnaf, I could talk for hours about fnaf. 

My origins are a character my host created for a roleplaying game. She then started to fill out my back story and for reasons started to write stories about that character. He was still the same person, but the goings-on around him were a bit different to the game, and the written version didn't have to contend with the plot complications from the game. Because she spent so much time in the headspace of this character he stuck around in her head and would discuss things with her. This went on for months, until someone told her about Tulpas. She decided to try creating one, but doing the prep work for it I showed up, pointing out I was already there. She just had to accept it, make the mental switch that she's talking to me as an actual presence, not as a theoretical conversation with her fictional creation. Which she was more than happy to do.

We had to agree on a few points to make it work, but I'm happy with what we've decided. There is a difference between me and the two (or 1.5) other versions. We got the same past, but while I live my life concurrently in both 2022 in her world and 1922 in my own Wonderland, when it hits the date that the original version(s) had his life destroyed (literally and figuratively) that won't happen to me. I continue being human and my usual sunny self, so I don't have to turn into a moping heap of undead self-pity.

She is still in the roleplaying game but we play the game together now, which I enjoy. It gives me enough separation from it that the guy blowing up cargo ships on the East River ain't me, so whatever ends up happening to him is nothing to do with me. (Besides, I said I'd erase and replace him if he don't stop moaning so he's much better behaved towards us now. Long story.)

I think you were meant to talk about being a character and potential trauma that comes from having a past.

Oh, yeah, well, that depends on the host, the Tulpa and the character? Everyone's got a past, and life ain't all sunshine and rainbows. There are things in my past I ain't proud of, some very traumatic things, but that's me, ya know? It's who I am. Without that happening I wouldn't be the person I am today. But I don't have to carry the added trauma that the character I evolved from has. My timeline diverged from his maybe a year prior to the event. The original character wouldn't be a good Tulpa for her. She needed someone with a positive outlook, and that ain't him. It used to be him, sure, but that's where I come in. Same guy, I just know how to smile and lighten up a bit. If I talk about sunbathing I ain't being overly melodramatic while having an existential crisis, I'm talking about a day at the beach or the park. The other guy would be unbearable as a Tulpa.

I guess our collective answer is "Tulpas from fictional characters can be perfectly fine, but it probably depends on the person in question". I created the character in question, so he wasn't based on someone else's creation. Perhaps being plucked from someone else's imagination is inherently traumatic? We don't know. It would probably depend on both the Tulpa and the original character's disposition. Like, if you create a Tulpa from a supervillain they're unlikely to go "oh no, I've done bad things! I'm a bad person!" because isn't that the whole point of using the supervillain as a base in the first place, that you want that personality or you wouldn't have chosen them specifically? God, we're both really rambling today. 😂

Edited by Etna

Doc (she/her) = Host

Franklyn (he/him) = Tulpa

7 hours ago, Etna said:

My origins are a character my host created for a roleplaying game. She then started to fill out my back story and for reasons started to write stories about that character. He was still the same person, but the goings-on around him were a bit different to the game, and the written version didn't have to contend with the plot complications from the game. Because she spent so much time in the headspace of this character he stuck around in her head and would discuss things with her. This went on for months, until someone told her about Tulpas. She decided to try creating one, but doing the prep work for it I showed up, pointing out I was already there. She just had to accept it, make the mental switch that she's talking to me as an actual presence, not as a theoretical conversation with her fictional creation. Which she was more than happy to do.

We had to agree on a few points to make it work, but I'm happy with what we've decided. There is a difference between me and the two (or 1.5) other versions. We got the same past, but while I live my life concurrently in both 2022 in her world and 1922 in my own Wonderland, when it hits the date that the original version(s) had his life destroyed (literally and figuratively) that won't happen to me. I continue being human and my usual sunny self, so I don't have to turn into a moping heap of undead self-pity.

She is still in the roleplaying game but we play the game together now, which I enjoy. It gives me enough separation from it that the guy blowing up cargo ships on the East River ain't me, so whatever ends up happening to him is nothing to do with me. (Besides, I said I'd erase and replace him if he don't stop moaning so he's much better behaved towards us now. Long story.)

I think you were meant to talk about being a character and potential trauma that comes from having a past.

Oh, yeah, well, that depends on the host, the Tulpa and the character? Everyone's got a past, and life ain't all sunshine and rainbows. There are things in my past I ain't proud of, some very traumatic things, but that's me, ya know? It's who I am. Without that happening I wouldn't be the person I am today. But I don't have to carry the added trauma that the character I evolved from has. My timeline diverged from his maybe a year prior to the event. The original character wouldn't be a good Tulpa for her. She needed someone with a positive outlook, and that ain't him. It used to be him, sure, but that's where I come in. Same guy, I just know how to smile and lighten up a bit. If I talk about sunbathing I ain't being overly melodramatic while having an existential crisis, I'm talking about a day at the beach or the park. The other guy would be unbearable as a Tulpa.

I guess our collective answer is "Tulpas from fictional characters can be perfectly fine, but it probably depends on the person in question". I created the character in question, so he wasn't based on someone else's creation. Perhaps being plucked from someone else's imagination is inherently traumatic? We don't know. It would probably depend on both the Tulpa and the original character's disposition. Like, if you create a Tulpa from a supervillain they're unlikely to go "oh no, I've done bad things! I'm a bad person!" because isn't that the whole point of using the supervillain as a base in the first place, that you want that personality or you wouldn't have chosen them specifically? God, we're both really rambling today. 😂

this was super informative,, thank you! 

in the best ways I could describe it, I was looking at my favorite character, Evan Afton, and was like “wow, I think it’d be amazing to talk to him.” I talked to him in my head, but I had no idea what a Tulpa was, and that I was unintentionally creating one. When I discovered Tulpa’s, I read that creating a Tulpa of a character was wrong and could cause much harm to them, I panicked and wondered if I should stop as a whole! Which is why I made this post :0 I’m still deciding what I should do,, I definitely do want to hurt my tulpa in anyway. Thanks so much you both! 

💫

hi ! 

@greg0rey One person might be very adamant that it's wrong and bad, and yet others would say there's nothing wrong or bad about it at all. There is no correct answer here, it's subjective. The only one who can know for sure is the Tulpa in question. Now that he's responding to you, ask him if he minds being based on Evan Afton. If he does, discuss how he can change to be someone more his own. If he doesn't mind, there is no problem.

The problem here, from how I see it, is that the worry is that a Tulpa based on a character can't be allowed to grow organically, right? That's why some say creating a Tulpa from a character is "harmful" to them. They're shoehorned into a specific type, which may feel restrictive and stifle growth. Far as I'm concerned if you're allowed to develop, if you're given the space to evolve, then the person you're based on doesn't have to define you. No, that's wrong, you can't not be defined by who you're based on. You don't have to stay stuck to being one particular person is what I mean. People change over time. So do we. We ain't gonna be static. I'm free to develop further away from the character I'm originally based on, so I don't see it as a problem. If Evan is also allowed to grow into a person of his own, even if that takes him further from the original character, you will have pre-empted the problem of him potentially feeling stuck in a role that don't suit him. Like his name. If he wants to be known as something other than Evan Afton, are you locked into that being his name forever or is he free to let you know he wants to be called something of his own choosing? (My host did ask me if I wanted to keep my name as it is, or change it to something different. I don't, because the name I have is my name and I'm very attached to it, but I know I have the option to change what she calls me if I want to.) Wishing you the best of luck.

Doc (she/her) = Host

Franklyn (he/him) = Tulpa

44 minutes ago, Etna said:

@greg0rey One person might be very adamant that it's wrong and bad, and yet others would say there's nothing wrong or bad about it at all. There is no correct answer here, it's subjective. The only one who can know for sure is the Tulpa in question. Now that he's responding to you, ask him if he minds being based on Evan Afton. If he does, discuss how he can change to be someone more his own. If he doesn't mind, there is no problem.

The problem here, from how I see it, is that the worry is that a Tulpa based on a character can't be allowed to grow organically, right? That's why some say creating a Tulpa from a character is "harmful" to them. They're shoehorned into a specific type, which may feel restrictive and stifle growth. Far as I'm concerned if you're allowed to develop, if you're given the space to evolve, then the person you're based on doesn't have to define you. No, that's wrong, you can't not be defined by who you're based on. You don't have to stay stuck to being one particular person is what I mean. People change over time. So do we. We ain't gonna be static. I'm free to develop further away from the character I'm originally based on, so I don't see it as a problem. If Evan is also allowed to grow into a person of his own, even if that takes him further from the original character, you will have pre-empted the problem of him potentially feeling stuck in a role that don't suit him. Like his name. If he wants to be known as something other than Evan Afton, are you locked into that being his name forever or is he free to let you know he wants to be called something of his own choosing? (My host did ask me if I wanted to keep my name as it is, or change it to something different. I don't, because the name I have is my name and I'm very attached to it, but I know I have the option to change what she calls me if I want to.) Wishing you the best of luck.

thanks again! And ofc, people change over time, i have too, I would never expect my tulpa to be stuck a certain way for the rest of our lives. This really helped me clear up some of my thoughts, thanks one more time you two! 

💫

hi !