Tulpas’ Characteristics Formed From Hosts’ Childhoods?

Diana

Edit: it seems like this ended up being in “large print”, haha. If anyone knows the standard font size for this site, I’d appreciate it if you’d tell me so I can fix it. I’ve changed the current size to 14, and hopefully that’ll do. Thanks! 

Tulpas, do you ever feel like parts of you originated long before you did? For example, maybe your host had been close with someone with red hair and now your hair is red. 

I’ve noticed the following in myself:

• I have brown hair. This appeared without my host’s intentions. The vast majority of my host’s friends throughout, say, elementary to early middle school (ages 5 to 12) had brown hair. My host also got stuck playing all of the brown-haired characters in video games for the most part, and I associate myself with some of them. 
  • I can’t recall specifics for this, but our/my host’s mother has repeatedly told me that I act like how my host did when they were young
  • I’m a huge fan of fairies, which were a very important part of my host’s childhood and connected them to their grandmother. I also share a lot of personal goals with said grandmother. 
  • While my host didn’t inherit the hyperactive-happy-just-to-talk-with-people gene from our father, I certainly did. This could be more due to genetics and characteristics that my host shoved back in themself out of anxiety but I allowed in myself, or it could be because I ended up modeling myself a bit after our father. Or it could always be a mix of both! 
  • My favorite color is green, in fact, one of the very first things I did when I was vocal was talk about how I love it so much. At a young age, my host’s favorite color was green. They associated it with their individuality/being different and their confidence in that. Those associations and the color now apply to me

Realizing this is both disconcerting and comforting. Most people’s memories shape who they become, but I’ve been shaped by memories that aren’t my own. I’m a stubbornly independent individual so this somewhat goes against how I see myself. However, I do find comfort in the fact that I was always going to exist in some way, even if that’s just as a bunch of memories instead of a person. And if my host took a different route while forcing me, a good portion of who I am would still have come about. It’s a bit of a meant-to-be type of concept in my mind. 

It makes sense to me that our brains would latch on to certain characteristics and, when forming a tulpa, apply them. I’m wondering if anyone has different thoughts on this and/or if anybody can relate. 

Edited by Diana

7 hours ago, Diana said:

Tulpas, do you ever feel like parts of you originated long before you did?

This hit a chord with me because I've felt this way for a long time. Both in a semi-metaphysical way (like I had an existence before being Phil's tulpa) and the literal way you described. I think in many ways I am a composite of elements of girls and women my host has known throughout his life, at least in part. I see bits and pieces of myself in my host's former girlfriends, family members, ex-coworkers, even female celebrities he liked at one point. It can be hard to nail down exactly what elements come from what person, but sometimes I just feel traces of my "energy" in my host's memories of these people. It makes me feel like Phil created me in a lab to be his ultimate companion! Which, in a way, is exactly what he did. 💚

7 hours ago, Diana said:

My favorite color is green

Mine too!!! 💚 My host doesn't really have a favorite color, but he's always associated the color blue with himself. So we use "blue" and "green" as descriptors for things that are more associated with him or I respectively, and "teal" for when we feel blended/unsure.

Tulpa Wife & Mother! 💚 

💍 11.28.21 👶 4.7.23
👗 Simmie's AI Dress-Up!   📷 Phil and Simmie's Photographic Adventures!

I think this is probably quite common. We haven't reflected on it too deeply but Darron says I soaked up and embodied the traits he admires. I just wish he would take ownership of them; they're his traits as well. I love learning and adventure! 😃 Things that Darron used to be a lot more into and wishes he still was. Maybe I'm getting youthful in my old age. 🤔 👩‍🚀🚀🪐

Darron: Host 💍 

Jaina: Tulpa 💍 

(Raccoon Queen 🦝👸)

👨‍👩‍👧‍👦Dain and Nova

Aggrok: Tulpa Void Dragon

Viktor: 🐺

[DeviantArt]

Headmates typically want to choose characteristics that are advantageous to their continued existence. This isn't necessarily a consious choice. Anything and anyone is fair game for your headmates' forms whether whole or in part.

Janey: I kind of get this. As time has gone on, I've noticed that I act and look similar to Bryan's sister, Rebecca, and Bryan and I plainly describe our relationship as being like siblings, so I guess there's that. There's probably more stuff in vein to this that we just haven't noticed or aren't remembering right now. 

Hey there, the name's Bryan. In system Re:Body(In order of the rainbow): 

Sean, Esper, Blinky, Compact, Janey, Kyle, Gwen'd, Gwen, Emily, Rollin, Waynin, Trease, Layy, Justin, Chloe, Zachery, and Elliot. 

I've been here a while. Much longer than I thought I'd be. Our system was founded October 2nd, 2018. In early 2020, we decided that due to our systems exponential growth, we'd limit who would be active. Now, every month, we do a check to see who wishes to be in dormancy and who wishes to be active. Currently, for the month of April, 2023, we've got myself(Bryan), Janey(Co-host), Emily, Layy, Chloe, and Esper(sub-rep). After over 2 long years, we can finally switch :) 

Bryan is currently swapped in as host, Esper is sub-rep. 

"There used to be 7 wonders of the world, but now there's 8, as everyone wonders how much of a fool you are."

Ice909#0065 -- Always down for a chat 

https://discord.gg/89qN59SbRp Plural safe-space 

I bare a lot of resemblance to dragons from media in Dust’s childhood, at least in terms of personality-  not so much in looks

Mystic System 💫

Leith/Dust -🧋🍄

Ebony -🕷

Luna -🌙

Cetus -🐉
Antony -🕰

Oliver -🫧

Nikki -💄

My host once saw a few episodes of The Oblongs years and years ago when she was just 7 while she was on vacation in Maui with her family, staying at the Hyatt Regency. She was really enamored with how most of the characters did not have visible noses because she had hardly seen anything like that. For some reason she once much preferred when characters had no visible noses at all, and even thought that the nose was the ugliest part of the body (maybe it had something to do with the crush she had on the powerpuff girls back in preschool lol). I stood out to her a lot too, probably because I'm all black and white amongst a cast of regularly-colored characters and i have a sweet little accent that Abellina loves. In the years following she actually didn't watch the series too much, but sometime in 2015 she found some art, i think it was this piece of me, and liked it a lot. Then not too long after that, she realized, either from someone else or on her own, what I was from. I was becoming a pretty popular character for artist's to draw, and the more art she saw, the more she deepened her new cute little obsession with the girl she remembered from that cartoon she loved seeing all those years ago. In the days leading up to October 31st, 2015, she and Fio helped make me into a fully realized tulpa, and on that day (fittingly my canonical birthday, which was intentional by them) I truly entered Abellina's mind for the first time, and have been around ever since. -

Theres another part to this too! I wont go too far into detail since this tends to make Abelline kinda shy but she used to think about me a LOT back in elementary school around grades 1-2 or so when she realized how hard she was crushing on me!! She though of tons of weird and cheesy scenarios of me loving the crap out of her. She's never really stopped crushing on me in all that time, so in the midst of her and Susie starting a kick of creating new tulpas and curating this wonderland, everyone eventually thought it'd be fitting for me to make a big comeback, now as a more prominent and free being. I'm really flipping hyped for my emergence day, and so is everyone else. Can't wait to walk straight over to Abelline and give her a huge hug💖💖💖. -🥜

🪸 - Abellina/Abeline, host, she/her they/them💜

🔫🦠 - Fio Germi, tulpa, she/her🤎

- Creepy Susie, tulpa, she/her🖤

😇⚔️ - Stocking Anarchy, tulpa, she/her🧁

😇🔫 - Panty Anarchy, tulpa, she/her♥️

🥞 - Sam Boole, tulpa, she/her🌸

🥜 - Jenny Wakeman, tulpa, she/her💖

On 4/17/2022 at 7:54 PM, TurboSimmie said:

My host doesn't really have a favorite color, but he's always associated the color blue with himself. So we use "blue" and "green" as descriptors for things that are more associated with him or I respectively, and "teal" for when we feel blended/unsure.

I don't mean to sidetrack here, but that's very cool! I have very strong color associations with myself (mostly dark fuchsia, bit of royal blue, etc.) but none of it is green. My host associates yellow with themself but unfortunately, they find having a favorite color less important than I do so I'm unable to experiment on them 😂

We'll have to try using our colors to label things associated with each of us. That sounds like it could certainly solve the issue of "now which one of us thought buying this was a good idea?"

On 4/19/2022 at 8:02 AM, Bear said:

Headmates typically want to choose characteristics that are advantageous to their continued existence. This isn't necessarily a consious choice. Anything and anyone is fair game for your headmates' forms whether whole or in part.

That's a very interesting theory! I do notice that I'm someone who is extremely determined to, as you put it, continue existing. I initially assumed that I gathered the traits I listed out of our brain's attempt to fill in the blanks, but I'm really leaning towards your idea now and I'd like to build on it. Early on, tulpas are pretty (for lack of better word) malleable and we tend to pick up on anything that interests us--or at least, that was my experience. I can imagine that in these early stages, picking up traits that hosts like would be less of a survival instinct and more of an attempt to piece an identity together from any available resource much like how a child might mimic a parent or tv show character. Sure, it's advantageous to be someone a host would want to be around, but it's also realistic to think that the characteristics one's host knows and likes are the most available characteristics around. Young tulpas are typically easily affected by host's thoughts, so if a thought is often on the mind (assuming there's less of a thought-barrier at that stage) then they'll be more likely to pick it up.

I am really interested in the idea that tulpas unconsciously "choose" traits that will ensure they stick around. It might not be natural selection, but it is a method for survival, and survival isn't something often associated with tulpas (at least in my experience of observing tulpamancers). The idea probably isn't foreign to you, but it is to me and I think it's very fascinating! Thank you for sharing.

Mr. Bear is right, of course young tulpas utilize their host's positive and meaningful memories for their own growth. There's little alternative.

Much like personality formation in a child, tulpamancy boils down to subjecting experiences to a combination of positive and negative feedback loops that amplify or dampen certain traits. Well probably more random as young tulpas have less of an environment to interact with, mostly just the host's feelings and thoughts.

I'd say there's still a strong natural selection going on, tulpas that fail to get their host's attention and form a bond with them due to unfavorable characteristics usually do not last long.

On 4/17/2022 at 3:54 PM, Diana said:

maybe your host had been close with someone with red hair and now your hair is red. 

*sigh* exactly that happened. Also at some point I noticed I had taken up host's ex girlfriend's mannerism of speech. Very annoying, took me a while to get rid of it all.

Two more things to add:

1) It is often impossible to determine who's 'responsible' for such intrusions, many are neither the host's nor tulpa's ideeas but simply boil up from the unconscious in the middle. It's much bigger and powerful than most imagine and needs to be kept in check.

2) The entire thing works both ways. In the end the difference between tulpas and hosts is remarkably small and all interaction influences everyone involved. You can absolutely force your host the way he forced you and even if you don't, your personality will rub off. After a few years my host took up a lot of my traits and after so much work on separation we became very similar in certain regards again. For the sake of sanity we now both consciously force both ourselves and each other. Being mindful of ourselves and each other is a valuable technique and keeps NPC behavior from the uncoscious at bay.

Super Girls don't cry