Consious vs Subconscious Headmates and Dormancy

A model of consciousness:

To me, the model is clear, consiousness is simply a recorder of events and a sounding board of ideas. Thoughts appear as if out of nowhere and the origin of these thoughts are often unknown especially given a plural system of two or more headmates. 

To me it goes deeper than this. For example when I write, I'm often not consciously conjuring words, they stream, and often faster than I can write, furthermore I often surprise myself in the complexities of the content as of I had little to no part in their creation, especially during flow or long periods of uninterrupted production. 

Shortly before any project and during luls in productivity, other thoughts may arise such as intrusive negative thoughts or thoughts of encouragement. I don't necessarily associate with these thoughts, and if I don't they have a lot less impact. This helped immensely to remove intrusive thoughts, effectively ignoring them or looking for patterns as to why they're appearing and dealing with the underlying issues.

So to say the consious experience is all there is, is to say we're nothing but a linear and one dimensional stream of thoughts, actions and memories. I don't agree.

The Tie-in to Headmates:

Expanding this to the practice of tulpamancy and headmates in general, if we're not just the conscious mind, why would we suppose that headmates are otherwise limited? 

To say our headmates go dormant when we're not thinking of them is akin to saying we're dormant when we're not thinking of ourselves.

In my understanding, everyone in the system has potential to experience and remember anything that has happened throughout the day, regardless if I was thinking of them or not. 

I believe this is a system choice; whether you consider your headmates capable of doing this or not, their behavior will naturally follow the same logical basis.

If you subscribe to the notion that we all exist as living beings, and furthermore we extist concurrently, and regardless of your beliefs in consious parallel processing or expression, in the subconscious mind there seems to be way more going on that isn't experienced. The subconscious mind therefore has the possibility to parallel process or achieve much higher productivity than can be linearly recorded. So there's no reason to dismiss the possibility that everyone may be existing and living concurrently regardless of whether or not you're consiously thinking of them.

Where it becomes sticky is where headmates report dormancy or "have to access memories" to catch up. I'm not saying this isn't valid as a system choice, I'm just offering that it's not the only choice.

In my system, we are all active all the time for the most part and thoughts arise periodically (self-forcing) that I can identify as one or another and they often spark conversation as if we're a group in the sane room. There's no reason for me therefore to believe they weren't actively involved and paying attention.

Your experience may vary, but my point is, I believe this to be a belief driven choice, possibly made and reinforced early on.

Your thoughts?

(edited)

I don't know. For me, plurality as a whole is tied to the subconscious. 'Conscious' is me as in me, 'subconscious' is the others.

On 5/11/2022 at 8:22 PM, Bear said:

Thoughts appear as if out of nowhere and the origin of these thoughts are often unknown especially given a plural system of two or more headmates. 

For instance when this happens, if the thought appears foreign or unusual enough I usually attribute it to one of my companions. If it feels like a particularly inspiring idea it's most likely Martina, if it's more intrusive and disrupting but still creative in some form then it's most definetly Erika. It's closer to the subject of 'divine inspiration' from my part... just without the divine part.

But the thing is you can externalize any form like that from any part of your subconscious: ideals (kami), vices (demons), feral instincts (fylgia or animal totems), ancestral or cultural knowledge (hamingja), whatever. In the end, they're all part of our minds, and it's just a matter of how you're interpreting or influencing the parts you cannot control by direct effort. 'Consciously subconscious' as I call it sometimes.

Edited by Mel Syreth