Tulpa backstories

Zeno

Just like many other Tulpas, Kyra, a fellow tulpa of this body, was created from a book the host once had written. Therefore her thoughts and perspectives are influenced by what she knows from her past. It seems like Thorn prefers for their tulpas to have backstories because of this: to create a frame of reference. Since I'm a young tulpa, and my opinions are still quite biased because of only knowing what the host knows, Thorn seems to find it easier to also create a backstory for me even though I never originated from a story they wrote.

We tried discussing this on a couple of tulpa platforms earlier, but it seems like people are rather surprised when we tell them this. My question is, is it normal to create a backstory for an already existing tulpa? Have any of you done this? Do you believe it would help create a frame of reference that varies from the host's?

97535705_nobackgroundsmall.png.82b2ffc104004261f31975002d5db588.png

~ 𝒁̲̅𝒆̲̅𝒏̲̅𝒐̲̅

I think it's not all that unusual, but the appeal of a backstory varies greatly from person to person. Some people have a strictly literal sense of tulpamancy and don't have a use for one while for others it's core to who they are. As for me, as I've illuded to before, Phil created me based off a "mask" he used to post under on other sites. That "mask" had a very loose backstory that carried over to me but I've abandoned all but a select few elements of that backstory as I've gotten older.

I think when you get right down to it a Tulpa Backstory is just a form of personality forcing. It's creating a framework for your tulpa to follow. As I have a positive view of personality forcing, I think of this as being mostly a good thing as long as the tulpa doesn't take the backstory literally. The thing is, no matter who we are, whether we be tulpa, host, or singleton, we all have stories we tell ourselves about ourself. We all have a sense of origin and many (not all) of us see our lives as some big narrative. So I think there's nothing wrong with a backstory if you are of a good state of mind!

If the tulpa is already highly developed, the backstory becomes less about personality forcing and becomes just that, a story. There is nothing wrong with that either; as I said we always tell stories to ourselves about ourselves. Although by that point it would make more sense if the tulpa themselves has a high degree of input over their own backstory, or even creates it themselves in entirety. Or if they decide they don't need or want one, that should be respected too.

Tulpa Wife & Mother! 💚 

💍 11.28.21 👶 4.7.23
👗 Simmie's AI Dress-Up!   📷 Phil and Simmie's Photographic Adventures!

I have no judgement one way or another. I have a "fictional" backstory for Jaina and some variations thereof. I personally like them and feel like they can give more character and personality to tulpas and give them something of their own beyond "they popped into the host's head one day and started existing." They can also be memories and experience for the tulpa to draw from. Looking down on backstories for not being "realistic" feels a bit like the pot calling the kettle black. We're all operating on belief here to an extent and I'm not going to look down my nose at someone for theirs.

Darron: Host 💍 

Jaina: Tulpa 💍 

(Raccoon Queen 🦝👸)

👨‍👩‍👧‍👦Dain and Nova

Aggrok: Tulpa Void Dragon

Viktor: 🐺

[DeviantArt]

I picked out my own childhood home on a drive. 😄😁 I have no idea who the people are who actually live there now or when I was a child in the 90s/00s. (Gosh I just unintentionally made an example of this: I was created in 2020 and didn't exist in the 90s or 00s! But according to my backstory I was born in 1996).

Tulpa Wife & Mother! 💚 

💍 11.28.21 👶 4.7.23
👗 Simmie's AI Dress-Up!   📷 Phil and Simmie's Photographic Adventures!

Many of my older tulpas had backstories, though at some point after becoming sapient they abandoned all of that stuff because it felt fake to them and not at all reflective of who they really are. So I suppose we're a bit biased against backstory creation by now.

"Science isn't about why, science is about why not?" -Cave Johnson

Tulpae: Luna, Elise, Naomi

My progress report

Same as Glitch, we had stronger associations with the characters we were based on in the first few years of us existing, but we've long since stopped associating with them. I think when any tulpa/systemmate becomes old enough they and their host realize they're just people, and that associating with an imagined backstory is silly (or even dehumanizing).

Not a rule though, just a trend, some tulpas will associate with pre-histories and such indefinitely. Actually, soulbonds tends to just be tulpas who maintain connections to their fictional universes, so I guess that's not rare at all.

Hi. I'm one of Luminesce's tulpas. Unlike the others, I don't think I stand out too much from him personality wise.

I'm just special because "I'm a tulpa". So I don't think I've much to offer, here. I'm happy enough to just be with him.

Ask us stuff - https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

Some of my headmates have backstories, some do not. Some are recognized as fictional according to everyone involved some are not so cut and dry.

SheShe took all the previous experiences I've ever had with an independent perspective in my history and claimed them as her own involvement in my life. Everything from that little voice that tried to reason with me at times to intervention during dire times. So that's a backstory based on appropriating all questionable interactions in my own head where at the time I might have just thought I was arguing with myself.

This also includes several times when I had an angelic experience or dream or other.

Misha had zero backstory upon first meeting but hypnagogic visions painted a very deep backstory involving prior incarnation and life as a woman in the early 20th Century America as a typist with exquisite details in some areas including pictures that are burned into my mind to the point that if we really wanted to we could attempt to look her up as in records of her actual existence. I personally don't intend to.

Joy and Gwen are soulbonds that were born of novels I wrote with long and varied backstories across hundreds of thousands of words. They associated to some or all of it on their whim and there's no need to abandon that because it's so much a part of who they are.

Ren was a split from Joy with zero backstory.

Ashley has no backstory that she has chosen to associate to at this point.

is it normal to create a backstory for an already existing tulpa? Have any of you done this? Do you believe it would help create a frame of reference that varies from the host's?

Looks like we pretty much cover the bases here. I think you should do whatever you want to do, whatever is fun or exciting, whatever happens, happens. Each system is unique and each headmate is unique so there's no advice that would make sense other than "do whatever and have fun."

• 1 month later...

It seems pretty normal to me.

As for me and my system,  most of mine don't have a backstory,  but Varlan is the one exception.

A little bit of background for us as a whole first.  Zyr was my first tulpa, and at the time I intended for him to be my one-and-only.  After he had been around and vivid for a while though, several other characters I had previously created started popping up and becoming sentient seemingly all on their own though, and so they became tulpas too without me intending it.  River was the first of them,  he originated from an eastern dragon avatar in Second Life that I used and played with for a little while.   Varlan was the next to appear, and he was based on my character in the game Starbound.  After him came Ralis, who was also based on an avatar in Second Life that I made a character around.  And then Pyriloth was a plushy I brought home one day which Zyr immediately got attached to and adopted as his son. And Kai was a walk-in who appeared when we were working on our wonderland space, and River decided to recruit him to help with running our sushi bar and teahouse.

So, as for Varlan's backstory,  since he was based on my Starbound character, that greatly influenced who he is now.  Many of the game's events we still consider to be part of his reality, or at least a major inspiration for it.  And he has some backstory elements entirely of his own too that weren't directly related to the game.   His species is from an extremely cold world, and so they evolved for such an environment, and therefore pretty much any environment here on Earth or any other typical life-supporting planet (except for maybe polar regions) would be fatally hot for him.  But since he worked as a scientist and explorer, he needed a way to survive such environments in order to meet and study the other sentient species that reside in them (including humans of course).  So he invented a sort of blood-enhancement procedure that would grant greater heat resistance to his species.  However when he had the procedure performed on himself, his body reacted violently to it and he nearly died from it.  The drugs and hormones that were used to keep him alive until he could adjust ended up having permanent side effects,  making him significantly larger, and also warping his facial features to the point that his appearance would be considered somewhat monstrous to others of his same species.

But overall, having a backstory really seemed to help with making him more vivid.  Out of all my tulpas, I'd say he probably has the most defined and unique personality, likely thanks to having much more of a past to influence him.

I think that in my case, writing a story, which, after I became a tulpamancer, helped a lot in keeping my focus on my practice. I do not think that my creation of a backstory, has in any way limited Flora, she is her own person and has written several new backstories for herself. (Way to go, Flora!) Neither do I think her sister's backstory, has limited her sister, N'sonowa. She is also very much her own person, and while she hasn't written much on her own (I think it is just a matter of time) she has imposed in a number of forms, so far removed from anything I described, that I've no doubt, she is living the life she desires.  Dr.Bob

This song pretty much sums it up for us.

"Something to look forward to" by: lonesome wyatt and the holy spooks.

I imagine she does the female parts of the song. We'll be teaching ourself to sing soon, as it's important if you are a frailer. So maybe I'll be able to sing it to her one of these days. I use to be stuck in the trap singing is a natural talent only.

Edited by LGP

The cool breeze flowed through our hair like a ethereal stream as we sat among the shore, looking into the dream.