Thought Chain Visualization?

So to start off, I don't have a tulpa and I'm on the fence about starting again -- chickened out a few times at making one. However the various mental techniques that surround them are still very intriguing to me, mainly visualization.

I was driving and was thinking about memory mnemonics, like the roman room, and came up with the idea of trees. This was based on the node graphs you might see when studying computer science: circles connected with lines. When I was driving I imagined, spontaneously and basically at only based upon the music I had playing which was chiptune, an image of a game called N+ (never played it). This image was put into the circle, then a line went to a related image/idea of mario, then a few more mario images up to 5 circles long and then I stopped reaching for relations because my drive was over. A name for it "Thought Chain" came to the surface too. Not sure if this is any different than a free association exercise like a mind map. Maybe it can be used as a mnemnoic like a roman room, but the fact that i can only remember the first two circles points to it being not so good? I wonder if this is more like image streaming?

If anyone has similar stories or threads, please leave them here, I will enjoy reading them.

Is this the use of visualization to help memory?

The only thing I've done is notice that wonderland objects can be made persistent and also words like passwords, but it's not 100% over the timespan of years.

You thought about all of this while driving? 0_0

On 11/14/2022 at 3:11 AM, AnxiousOutsider said:

Not sure if this is any different than a free association exercise like a mind map. Maybe it can be used as a mnemnoic like a roman room, but the fact that i can only remember the first two circles points to it being not so good? I wonder if this is more like image streaming?

That does sound more like image streaming to me.

Iirc from explanations I have heard, the Roman Room works because one's spatial awareness and memory of their living space is really strong and can be taken advantage of. If you're just drawing lines in a void however, I don't think it will work as well.

The idea is interesting to me though. I think it would help to build relationships with each object, and like what I'm assuming happened for you, allow chunking when needed. Remember when you clumped all of the Mario content together? Go ahead and let yourself have sub bullets or whatever excuse needed.

This also reminds me of the narrative/story memorization technique.

I'm going to give this a go.

Let's see...

That terrible 100 year mobile game 

Thumbs down meme?

Thumbs up

Ian

Roleplay

Bemacbe

Coffee

So I did a short run and immediately got things down.

I started with a random thought (the 100 year game), next thinking about how it was bad. I just imagined this dude doing a thumbs down. That then reminded me of Ian wanting to do thumbs up memes, so that did two things: I chunked the previous two under hands and created a new association with Ian. I then thought about him roleplaying and immediately jumped to Bemacbe, so I ended up chunking uh... Ian and Bem under "people" and the rp thing got set as a connector/sub point. After that I thought about how Bem likes coffee so that became a sub point. I stopped there.

When writing things down, I almost went backwards and I grabbed a point in the middle. It took me a bit to figure out what the very first thing was, but I figured it out.

This is definitely a lot messier than a clean N+1 approach, but I think it's more effective. I think the understanding these random concepts have a cause effect relationship also helps as well.

Edited by Ranger

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread