What should I do? Is this progress?

Valaeus

I have been working for two months. In the recent dialogue, I have more and more "exchanges" with her (if you can say so). The question is this: Even though her reply has shown some logic, I still can't help wondering whether it is "her". In most cases, her answers are more like the answers made up by my brain in one ten thousandth of a second, and some of them are like "sudden inspiration". These answers are mostly from her perspective, and sometimes they do bring me a little surprise, but I still can't tell whether it is her or me talking to myself. In addition, if this is her - Then it seems that she can only answer some simple sentences, instead of making a long speech as I imagined.So what should I do? Is there any progress compared with the initial situation? What can I do to improve these?

It sounds like you're actually on the right track, you may need to be a little more liberal on what counts as you vs. your tulpa. By doing this, that will help your brain develop the ability to distinguish between you and your tulpa.

1 hour ago, Valaeus said:

In addition, if this is her - Then it seems that she can only answer some simple sentences, instead of making a long speech as I imagined.

It could be that you're shutting down communication before she gets the chance to say much.

One thing that could be worthwhile is trying this- Imagine two fictional characters you have a decent enough understanding of and imagine them talking to each other for an extended period of time. After that, go ahead and talk to your tulpa. The experience should feel similar, only you are talking to her instead of observing two characters.

The power of deciding what is you and what is your tulpa is actually really significant. When you talk to your tulpa, you are establishing separation by acknowledging that she is not you. When you have two characters speak, they're just your interpretation of the characters. While the actual talking experience is the same, the mindset is different and is what leads to tulpa development.

The other thing is if she picks up traits that feel like you, that's okay. Keep in mind she's still developing, once she's older and ready to think about herself she can always choose to reject the traits she doesn't want. The other thing is tulpas will inherently have some similar traits because some traits are universal to the whole system due to sharing a brain.

Edited by Ranger

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

Yes, that's your tulpa. Give her more than a split second to think her responses and she'll be able to say longer more thoughtful things. It will feel a lot like you thinking because you share a brain, but it'll be her thoughts from her point of view. Just keep assigning those thoughts to her and she'll get stronger and she'll feel more distinct. But, if she seems to say something random/intrusive/out of character, you can discard that thought. Sometimes the brain generates stuff that's not helpful and doesn't really belong to anyone if you don't want it to.

The exercise Ranger suggested sounds really good.

Host: YukariTelepath

Tulpas: Aya, Ruki

Imposition log

14 hours ago, Ranger said:

It sounds like you're actually on the right track, you may need to be a little more liberal on what counts as you vs. your tulpa. By doing this, that will help your brain develop the ability to distinguish between you and your tulpa.

It could be that you're shutting down communication before she gets the chance to say much.

One thing that could be worthwhile is trying this- Imagine two fictional characters you have a decent enough understanding of and imagine them talking to each other for an extended period of time. After that, go ahead and talk to your tulpa. The experience should feel similar, only you are talking to her instead of observing two characters.

The power of deciding what is you and what is your tulpa is actually really significant. When you talk to your tulpa, you are establishing separation by acknowledging that she is not you. When you have two characters speak, they're just your interpretation of the characters. While the actual talking experience is the same, the mindset is different and is what leads to tulpa development.

The other thing is if she picks up traits that feel like you, that's okay. Keep in mind she's still developing, once she's older and ready to think about herself she can always choose to reject the traits she doesn't want. The other thing is tulpas will inherently have some similar traits because some traits are universal to the whole system due to sharing a brain.

12 hours ago, YukariTelepath said:

Yes, that's your tulpa. Give her more than a split second to think her responses and she'll be able to say longer more thoughtful things. It will feel a lot like you thinking because you share a brain, but it'll be her thoughts from her point of view. Just keep assigning those thoughts to her and she'll get stronger and she'll feel more distinct. But, if she seems to say something random/intrusive/out of character, you can discard that thought. Sometimes the brain generates stuff that's not helpful and doesn't really belong to anyone if you don't want it to.

Thank you for your help. 

On 12/31/2022 at 12:12 AM, Ranger said:

On 12/31/2022 at 2:17 AM, YukariTelepath said:

Thank you again for your help. After several in-depth emotional conversations, she has some ability to make long speeches.

But another problem followed -- like

YukariTelepath said the same thing: "It will feel a lot like you thinking because you share a brain, but it'll be her thoughts from her point of view."

Yes, that's the question. The long sentences she said made me feel this way, which was very strange - I think I didn't deliberately imitate them, but they still gave me the feeling that my brain was slowly and methodically imitating and giving false answers.

This may be just a question of mentality in essence, but there is no doubt that I have such a bad feeling in my heart. It's annoying, isn't it?

@Ranger

The seeds of doubt still take root in my heart. Although in the recent period, my tulpa has made unprecedented progress. But I still have such fear in my heart - have I been talking to myself all the time? The resulting question is: I know that faith is very important to tulpa's creation, but how important is it? If I keep feeling so scared, will I let tulpa dissipate? When I think of these, I feel great fear.

8 hours ago, Valaeus said:

But I still have such fear in my heart - have I been talking to myself all the time?

Tulpamancy, at its core, is convincing yourself that you have another person in your head. The crazy part is this works.

As long as you entertain the possibility your tulpa is not you and you spend time with them, then you will make progress with creation.

The resulting question is: I know that faith is very important to tulpa's creation, but how important is it?

I am personally against the idea of telling anyone they have to believe. You can still doubt by suspending your disbelief for instance, which is ultimately what my host did. However, if you're so stressed out you don't talk to your tulpa and interact with them, then it would be unrealistic for me to say you'll make much if any progress.

Keep in mind that if you're feeling stressed, you should at least take breaks. If people's advice doesn't help to calm you down, then it's 100% okay to stop practicing tulpamancy. Tulpamancy has times where it can be stressful, but that shouldn't be your only experience.

If I keep feeling so scared, will I let tulpa dissipate? When I think of these, I feel great fear.

This is a decision you have control over, your emotions won't just "decode" for you. If you don't want to create a tulpa, then I would recommend not creating one. If you do want a tulpa, your fears during the creation process won't hurt your tulpa unless you stop interacting with them at all.

A young tulpa would only dissipate if you don't really care to keep them around. Even if you change your mind later, more often than not you can pick up where you left off.

Edited by Ranger

I'm Ranger, GrayTheCat's cobud (tulpa), and I love hippos! I also like cake and chatting about stuff. I go by Rosalin or Ronan sometimes. You can call me Roz but please don't call me Ron.

My other headmates have their own account now.

If I missed seeing your art, please PM/DM me!

Blog | Not So Temporary Log | Switching Log | Yay! | Bre Translator | Art Thread

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/12/2023 at 7:52 PM, Valaeus said:

seeds of doubt still take root in my heart.

"Words dear to my heart!"  Doubt prompts questions and questions prompt research, in your case, you have brought your research questions to the community. And you have shared your feelings. Good for you!  Are there those of us in the community who share those feelings? Absolutely. and depending on who you are as a person, you may have them for a long time. (You may not, also) I am one who has, though I have had experiences with my tulpas that have removed all doubt and given me almost ecstatic feelings of love and joy. Still doubt creeps back in, and that doubt has prompted me to explore my self, my personality, my beliefs, my philosophies. I am old, at the other end of life, and it has been, and is, a wonderful, wondrous,  journey of self-discovery. (I am assuming you are young) I encourage you to keep at it. You will succeed, and you will make yourself a better, a more loving and complete human being in the process. Bear up, keep at it, have faith in your success, and in yourself. Ask for help when you get stuck. (There will come a time when you will be asking your tulpa for help) We here in this community are pulling for your success.

6 hours ago, theholodoc said:

"Words dear to my heart!"  Doubt prompts questions and questions prompt research, in your case, you have brought your research questions to the community. And you have shared your feelings. Good for you!  Are there those of us in the community who share those feelings? Absolutely. and depending on who you are as a person, you may have them for a long time. (You may not, also) I am one who has, though I have had experiences with my tulpas that have removed all doubt and given me almost ecstatic feelings of love and joy. Still doubt creeps back in, and that doubt has prompted me to explore my self, my personality, my beliefs, my philosophies. I am old, at the other end of life, and it has been, and is, a wonderful, wondrous,  journey of self-discovery. (I am assuming you are young) I encourage you to keep at it. You will succeed, and you will make yourself a better, a more loving and complete human being in the process. Bear up, keep at it, have faith in your success, and in yourself. Ask for help when you get stuck. (There will come a time when you will be asking your tulpa for help) We here in this community are pulling for your success.

@theholodoc Whenever I struggle with this negative emotion and temporarily win, I will have a feeling. I can hardly describe it, but it is like a feeling of sincere trust in your tulpa. You are right. This kind of feeling has given me a great sense of security and courage, so that I am constantly exploring myself and my past in the process of getting along with tulpa—— Up to now, on the whole, I still have this fear. But I have tried to regard it as the daily work of Tulpa's creation, and temporarily lowered the standard of creation. Things are getting better. During our recent walk, she showed great autonomy and had some memories that I didn't know. I understand that her memory was temporarily fabricated by my brain, but it still makes me happy to hear her tell me about her past. XD

21 hours ago, Valaeus said:

I understand that her memory was temporarily fabricated by my brain,

Consistent with very modern thinking in physics and cosmology, it could be that EVERYTHING is fabricated by your brain, including your brain. I suggest you don't worry too much about this. Enjoy your tulpa and learn from her, in whatever form she presents.