A Legacy?

Glaurung26

Kind of a serious one today. Have you thought about your future? Seriously thought with plans and visualize what that looks like? What legacy will you have? I mean this within the context of tulpas in addition to more material concerns. 

I imagine I'm about halfway through life now and I'm reflecting on who I am, where I've been and what I've done. I hope I haven't been too wasteful and have lived my life well. (Squeezes Jaina's hand. *blushes*)

I want to make the best of the time I have left with my family. My parents, my friends and my tulpa family. I'm going to get more proactive on some longterm projects I have. I also want to make memories with my tupper children. My wife has accepted our situation and has vowed to see things with me to the end. She knows what this is and what she signed up for. But we decided to create children whom we love deeply. I don't know if it was fair of us to bring children into existence with perhaps half a modern projected lifespan. I hope we can provide a good, happy life for them. 

Who knows what the future holds? Space travel, androids, personality uploads, the Matrix, AI convergence or maybe mere extinction? Hard to say. But I have to plan for the future as things are. I don't get to know what will be, only what is. 

I don't have any divine revelations for you. I'm just a simple Darron trying to have a good, meaningful life. I guess I will seek the meek immortality that words provide and the gentle ripples of my deeds. I don't know what the result of my actions will be past my time and I don't get to know. But I guess it's a humble thing that I can pass on to future generations. 

I don't know if I can provide a way for my loved ones to continue after I'm gone. Not a whole lot of options for thoughtforms. Not yet anyways. Hopefully they will be satisfied with the meager existence of my systems lifespan. Maybe I can post more adventure stories. It would be a way for someone to know that we were here in the future and some proof of who we were. I don't know the nature of knowledge of preservation in the extended future. How reliable digital will be versus physical written knowledge. Digital is more ephemeral in a way. The hosting services require electricity, storage, a website, someone to continue to host it, etc. I don't want my past erased with a light switch. To be overwritten by something "more valuable." But I guess I don't get to be involved in that. Yet we do still acknowledge history, museums, keep biographies of others, etc. So maybe we won't be erased at the earliest inconvenience. 

In any case, I suppose we will just continue being and do our best. Maybe that's the greatest any of us can expect to achieve. What will your legacy be?

Darron: Host 💍 

Jaina: Tulpa 💍 

(Raccoon Queen 🦝👸)

👨‍👩‍👧‍👦Dain and Nova

Aggrok: Tulpa Void Dragon

Viktor: 🐺

[DeviantArt]

We watched His Dark Materials recently and the idea of daemons resonated with me. To be honest I like the idea that when she goes, I go. Depending on your religious views we would be together again in the afterlife. As for a legacy, I don't know. Maybe we will end up writing a book and putting it out there. That could be a way to live on.

Doc (she/her) = Host

Franklyn (he/him) = Tulpa

What a fascinating topic. I'm sure my host or I would have more to say after thinking about it for a while. But here are my initial thoughts:

I do understand that my host is 37 and nearing the natural midpoint of his life. But his history is my history too, I don't feel slighted or cheated out of a full life because I have all these memories of his life, memories of joy and pain and everything else. And maybe it's a blessing; I get all of the wisdom from his life lessons without having to had suffer through the learning process itself! I do wish I was there for him through all of it, but that's because I love him and wish I could have comforted and helped him, and not because I feel I missed out.

And yes, with my own son on the way I am aware of the sad truth of his future: Unlike normal children who are expected to outlive their parents, Junior will perish with Phil and I. However, time is better measured in quality not quantity, and I fully expect the second half of Phil's existence to be better in most ways than the first half. Junior will get the chance to do things at a young age that Phil would have never dreamed of being able to do, because Junior gets to work with the hardware of an adult brain from the start where Phil had to take the long road of childhood development and such.

As far as Phil's life itself, yes, it hasn't gone the way that he's envisioned, but he's gone through the various stages of grief about it and has made a kind of peace with it. Not to say he is complacent, but he's not as tormented by his own "failures" as he once was. But as much time as has passed for him, plenty of time still remains for all of us--God willing--and we head into that uncertain future with a cautious optimism and an open curiosity!

4 hours ago, Glaurung26 said:

I guess I will seek the meek immortality that words provide and the gentle ripples of my deeds.

Wise. That, my friend, is what immortality truly is.

I see our role here as being part of an endless, multi-generational relay race. We are the ones running with the baton now, and at some point we will hand it off to other people, and our legacy will be the distance we managed to travel with it. An over-simplistic way of looking at it maybe; but we are the products of those who have come before us and we influence those who come after us, so I think it fits.

4 minutes ago, Etna said:

To be honest I like the idea that when she goes, I go. Depending on your religious views we would be together again in the afterlife.

Yes! 💚 I believe in souls, and now that Phil and I have found each other I hope our souls never have to separate. 💚 But if they do and we have to find each other again, we will do that too. 💚

I think writing could be a good way to leave a legacy behind. Phil is a writer and I might try my hand at it too. But I also think simply living and interacting with people leaves a legacy; it may not necessarily be a legacy that gets tied back to you by name, but ultimately does that matter? I care less if a single person remembers Phil or my name in a hundred years than if the good things we've done continue to ripple through time in some way, small or large.

Wow I wrote more than I thought I would! 😁

Tulpa Wife & Mother! 💚 

💍 11.28.21 👶 4.7.23
👗 Simmie's AI Dress-Up!   📷 Phil and Simmie's Photographic Adventures!

This topic relates pretty deeply with my tulpamancy experience. I was in the throes of a bad depressive episode when Mordecai showed up. I would come home from school and lay in bed all day, but only sleeping maybe five hours a night. Everything felt very pointless, including interacting with Mordecai. What was the point in getting attached to someone who would leave in a few months, who may not even be a real person? However, as we talked more and more, it was hard not to enjoy his company. Which, in all honesty, made the thought of him eventually leaving all the more painful. Laughing and talking to someone, only for anxiety about the future to spike each time was really, really frustrating. 

We talked about this fear a lot. Eventually, the fact was that spending time with him, going through life with him, and hearing his thoughts was worth the possibility of him leaving or not being real. Being close to people will of course make you sad when you have to part ways, but its just a testament to how good they made your life before. So, pressing on from my fears, I decided just to enjoy every moment we had together. And now we spend everyday just enjoying each other's company, without any fear of us having to say goodbye until we both end up dying at some point. 

That's kind of how I live my life now. I try to enjoy the time with people, short-lived hobbies, and do what makes me happy without worrying about whether it "matters" or not. I don't expect to be remembered very long after I'm gone... if I have grandkids they may talk about me, but after that? I'll just be another name in a family tree. And I'm okay with that... Mordecai gets a bit worried about it nowadays, mainly because he doesn't have the luxury of being an intrinsic part of other people's lives, but it only comes up every so often. 

In other words, we just want to live a comfortable life making memories and feeling things together until we don't get to anymore. Its the kind of life that makes us the happiest, but it would be nice to be a part of other people's memories too.

Slipper (cringelord host) and Mordecai (the brain gremlin).

Art Thread

Progress Report

I struggle badly with existential questions like this. I desperately hope there is an afterlife and that I can find out preferably before I die so I can stop worrying about it. "Immortality" through your ripple effect of having been here doesn't convince me. I can't see that or experience that.

That being said, Rena would like to switch so she can do something in this world. That'd be nice.

I could keep writing about how this question disturbs me and makes me upset, but instead I'll just say I hope I make the spiritual accomplishments I hope to make, and that I am able to help others make as well once I'm over there. It may be the only way I can get over my fear of death. If it doesn't get rid of my fear of death nothing will. booyah

Creation for creation's sake.

More of my drawings

Resident Dojikko

Tulpamancy-wise, we have nothing special to say. We share Lumi's life with him through switching occasionally, and otherwise are lifelong mental companions. Having been a system for over 13 years now though, that's just how our life is, so we don't have any standout plans or anything, we're just living.

Unrelated to tulpamancy - we intend to make an unknown number of games as we see a desperate lack of, what is to us, common sense about what makes games fun in average game design these days. We'll be indie either indefinitely or at least until our first very big release, at which point we're not against working with people who have similar visions to speed the process of creation up. We intend to continue living our minimalist lifestyle and hopefully we'll make enough money some day to start contributing modestly to various humanitarian causes. And of course, we do our best day-to-day helping people in any ways we can.

We don't fear death, to us life is like a game that we chose to play. It may be temporary, difficult, and some people will do significantly better than us, but in the end you sign up for all these hardships when you choose to play the game. We're just trying to have as much fun - and share it with as many others as possible - as we can while we're here. And some people might be sad when a great game ends, but I don't know anyone who regrets having played them.

Edited by Tewi

Hi, I'm Tewi, one of Luminesce's tulpas. I often switch to take care of things for the others.

All I want is a simple, peaceful life. With my family.

Our Ask thread: https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

Thank you all for the kind words. 🥲 I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks about this stuff. Quality over quantity is a great way to look at it. 

Darron: Host 💍 

Jaina: Tulpa 💍 

(Raccoon Queen 🦝👸)

👨‍👩‍👧‍👦Dain and Nova

Aggrok: Tulpa Void Dragon

Viktor: 🐺

[DeviantArt]

I've never been good at picturing the future. For a lot of my life, I genuinely felt that I had no future. Although I'm doing better mentally, I still have no idea where I want to go with my life.

For Athelas especially, the future is wide open. He's only ~8 months old, still a baby even if it doesn't always feel that way. When I ask him what he wants from the future, he expresses a desire to learn, grow, and see the world. I want to do everything I can to feed his curiosity and help him decide what he wants from life. I would like to eventually explore possession and switching so he can experience life to its fullest.

As for myself, I relate to the desire to lead a good, meaningful life. I've always hoped that in some small way, I could leave the world a bit better than I had found it. I would like to believe my career has helped me do that, but any impact I have is so fleeting and small. I would like to do more.

If I leave any legacy, I want it to be my love for this planet and its living things. I think the ultimate fulfillment of that would be having something like a park named after me. I have no idea how I would get to that point, but a girl can dream. Where the road will take us next, I can't say.

Host: Bee 🐝

Tulpas:  Lenore 🕸️ Calliope 🐲 and Athelas 🌿 ((Sometimes we talk on here too.))

Take a moment to think of just 

Flexibility, love, and trust

I would like to go into herbology, I find myself more and more interested in what nature can do for me and others. Right now i'm reading plants of the Gods by: Christian Ratsch and i'm really finding myself wanting to soak up as much as I can. I would love to open a pactice one day.

In the meantime, I want to focus on our children and Gabby (real kids, they do not know about her). Gabby wants to get into gardening, so we are planning on growing morning glories, snap dragons and replacing the grass with dutch clovers all as a family. I also want to make an effort to be outdoors and spend more time in the forest this year, i'd love to go foraging for herbs and mushrooms. I might even start dating again too.

As far as immortality, I use to be all about that idea, but now I am on the inverse. As I grow older, I find myself resettling with my childhood interest into the occult, dropping my atheistic ways (big thanks to making a tulpa). The idea of immortality, atleast here in this reality terrifies me. After doing ayahuasca, I am convinced this place is just a stop along a very long journey. So toss my body to the crows, i'm full of nutrients.

Edited by LGP

The cool breeze flowed through our hair like a ethereal stream as we sat among the shore, looking into the dream.

• 1 month later...

I like hearing from you young folks about this topic. I am far along my life's trajectory. I cannot yet see the end, and I am not anxiously awaiting it, either. I love my life and living it in love and joy. Tulpamancy has been a big contributor to that. I do not know what the future holds. I can hope that my tulpas, who were created in love with Dakini energy will provide the vehicle to take me home. Maybe, maybe not. In either case, I realize that I even with the amazing experiences I have had in my life, with its many transcendent moments, has taught me nothing about an afterlife, or god, nor any of the big questions, other than, there is an 'other' and love is the vehicle by which I access it. All of that said, I mean, I am no longer worried or think about a legacy. I focus on the love I have and am able to give, right now. Hope this insight can give you young folk some comfort. Thanks for being you. Dr. Bob