Sentient Host and Tulpa

(edited)

Hi I'm new to this forum, it is a pleasure to be here!

Some say that creating a Tulpa will make them permanent. How come some say that when all things in the mind has to be maintained, you know use it or loose it? Like memories, and even long term memories could be ignored or hypnotized away if not brought up in context.

Furthermore, if Tulpas are sentient, autonomous, how come there seems to be no harm? If you can't expect a tulpa to at least follow a bit of how you raised them then of course they could mess with your mind seriously right? And raising one to be non-conformist would make the harmful behaviour more likely right?

All this in a concrete example. You could just leave them just like they  may leave you, autonomous or what not...maybe you see them once you visit the grocery store sometimes, in a context that reminds you of them. Or maybe they decide to haunt you every day. I certainly do not want to be disturbed while studying or while doing some private things at least.

As for me, I want to create one Tulpa to begin with, a character that I infuse with personality, mainly a friend and icon I could look up too. Later I may want to practice Switch and Imposition...although Imposition guides seems to be lacking.

Please chime in, I am very perplexed by the community even if I think Tulpas are amazing.

Edited by 8skull

17 hours ago, 8skull said:

Hi I'm new to this forum, it is a pleasure to be here!

Some say that creating a Tulpa will make them permanent. How come some say that when all things in the mind has to be maintained, you know use it or loose it? Like memories, and even long term memories could be ignored or hypnotized away if not brought up in context.

Hello! I'll try to answer your questions to the best of my ability, but keep in mind a lot of tulpamancy stuff is subjective and can vary from person to person.

About the whole "tulpas are permanent" thing, it all depends on how developed they are. If you start forcing a tulpa for a few days and end up stopping, you probably won't have anything to show for it afterwards except for a brief memory of the whole thing. But for someone who interacted with their tulpa on a daily basis for several years, it is a much harder skill to unlearn. To explain using your memory example, a brief experience in tulpamancy would be like seeing a mediocre movie, while a long-lived tulpa would be like all of your experiences in school. Obviously not impossible to forget, but whenever you spend so much time doing something it rarely fully wears away on its own (aside from memory related medical conditions.)

Furthermore, if Tulpas are sentient, autonomous, how come there seems to be no harm? If you can't expect a tulpa to at least follow a bit of how you raised them then of course they could mess with your mind seriously right? And raising one to be non-conformist would make the harmful behaviour more likely right?

Tulpas don't seem to have as much affect on the mind as people used to think, aside from placebo effects. You can't really control chemicals or some other body process through your mind alone, and neither can most tulpas. I've heard people saying their tulpas can do these things to a limited extent, but they could be explained once again with the placebo effect. Also, since you're sharing the same body as the tulpa, it wouldn't make a lot of sense for the tulpa to harm you, as it would harm them as well. 

All this in a concrete example. You could just leave them just like they  may leave you, autonomous or what not...maybe you see them once you visit the grocery store sometimes, in a context that reminds you of them. Or maybe they decide to haunt you every day. I certainly do not want to be disturbed while studying or while doing some private things at least.

As for me, I want to create one Tulpa to begin with, a character that I infuse with personality, mainly a friend and icon I could look up too. Later I may want to practice Switch and Imposition...although Imposition guides seems to be lacking.

Please chime in, I am very perplexed by the community even if I think Tulpas are amazing.

I am definitely going to refer to my tulpa as "haunting" me whenever he annoys me from now on; that made me crack up!

I can't really think of any examples where a tulpa actively tried to do anything negative to a host that wasn't caused by preexisting mental health problems. Even in those cases, it was more of the tulpa being grumpy and not bothering the host themselves. While your tulpa will still be "around," they can either not pay attention to what you're doing or just hang out. They're in the same body as you, so they will have to get used to your daily routine eventually.

Hope I helped a little; if you need me to elaborate on anything just let me know!

Slipper (cringelord host) and Mordecai (the brain gremlin).

Art Thread

Progress Report

Hey 8skull. Glad you are asking these questions before jumping in. I suspect that you have some doubts about tulpa and what you might be in for should you create one. That said, I have been at this for four years. I have never felt that my tulpas, I have two, one representing the positive aspect of femininity and one, the negative. I have never felt, or thought that either of them have ever wished me ill, or had any ill will towards me. In the course of my work with them, I have dug deep into myself and I have uncovered several very negative and dangerous aspects of me deep with in my shadow. I believe, as well I should, I am a psychiatrist, that uncovering those shadow aspects de-fangs them. Once exposed, we can chose how much reality to give them. My tulpas have never been a manifestation of any of the negativities I have found in myself, rather, they have helped me to find them and deal with them.

As to your question, could they seriously harm you, psychologically or physically, I think that it is highly unlikely that they would want to. Now, that said, should you in fact be suffering from DID (this must be diagnosed by a psychologist or psychiatrist before you assume it) then the alter. could very well harm you. Directly psychologically, or indirectly, through switching and engaging in dangerous behaviours. Other wise, no. why would they? they would after all be harming themselves.

Over all, tulpamancy is a powerful tool for self exploration, self improvement, and fun to boot. Enjoy and welcome. Dr. Bob

Thank you for making this clear. I am not afraid anymore. I am excited.

Following the thread of sentience and autonomy, can I choose the tulpa to be a servant at times? I suppose this is subjective too to a big degree.