New "Thanks" System

Slushie

Guest Anonymous

I should also bring up that "karma" systems are what turned Reddit from what could have been a semi-decent place to share information, to a novelty account circlejerk of bravery, Ron Paul, and wanting Neil Degrasse Sagan as their glorious atheism overlord.

When a system is introduced that allows other users to be given positive reinforcement-usually for mundane or sarcastic things-it encourages users to all conform to a certain standard, and ultimately act a certain way. Over time, users learn what will and won't get them points, and will act as such. Opinions that may not be popular, but add to the discussion, are severely discouraged, and will cause users who share such opinions to conform to the popular opinion, 'lest their precious internet points become tarnished.

Now the reason this ruined Reddit, is because a certain standard was set in what users should believe. If they are not liberal atheists, then they will get downvoted. Discouraging intelligent discussion, letting fewer users see alternate opinions, and causing all the comments to be cluster-fucks of the same exact opinion. Then novelty accounts become a thing as more users think it's "XD HILAREUS" and pollute even the circlejerking with a type of cancerous tumor that cannot be treated. Such tumors wallowing in their karma like a pig fetus in it's own after-birth.

I do understand it's experimental, but the last thing I want to see is these forums turning into a novelty circlejerk.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On other forums I frequent, the 'thanks' posts are actually very useful. It seems to work best on forums where tutorials and learning and such are a big deal. On my reptile forums, it works perfectly--care guides, tutorials on how to take better pictures, medical explanations for sick animals, etc all are the types of posts that are thanked. The occasional 'cool' post with incredible pictures or funny post are thanked too, but the people with the most 'thanks' are always very helpful individuals who are always giving advice and always helping others out.

I would think it would be similar in a site like this. Useful information and new ideas. Let people know you like what they had to say without having to post and bump the thread.

But the roses are pretty gay man.

I agree on the "you can give thanks but it won't be recorded anywhere except with that post" thing.

Seems more streamlined and generally better. Saves a lot of posts where all you say is "Thanks", too, of course.

The above post does not contain facts.

q2's the host, QB's the tulpa.

This will work until people start 'thanking' each other for 'funny' posts. Then it's going to start having the opposite effect.

This will work until people start 'thanking' each other for 'funny' posts. Then it's going to start having the opposite effect.

That's already happened.

The above post does not contain facts.

q2's the host, QB's the tulpa.

I pretty much had in mind what tulpacouple was noting. I've seen the thank you system utilized and flourished in educational, learning, support, and tutoral-type communities.

The fact that I was underestimating the maturity of this certain community though is apparent; I guess positive reinforcement, et cetera, isn't going to work in a community that stemmed from 4chan where people scream "Circlejerk!" and every form of user accreditation or individuality (something that was cried for when we started these forums). It can wait, at least until we get a more mature base.

I'll just kill the thank you system; it's already being abused by users proving a point that it can be abused anyway.

Spoiler

An image in a signature behind a hidden tag! 

image.png.4b4fd4a211261c307de1fb4de85312d6.png

Guest Anonymous

I've seen things on forums where you can vote on a single post, i.e. the single one I'm typing right now, and any scores would not be cumulative for the poster, merely that one post. Either a plus one/minus one system, or others I've seen where you can select one of a few different emotions like happy, mad, sad, laughing, ect. As long as you can find a way to work around score-whores (I'll admit, I can tend to be one of them) by not making a cumulative "score" for each user, I think it'd be alright.

If a new user is going through a long thread, perhaps a +/- 1 system would allow him or her to quickly glance and see which posts held merit for other users. That'd fix the circlejerking perhaps.

I pretty much had in mind what tulpacouple was noting. I've seen the thank you system utilized and flourished in educational, learning, support, and tutoral-type communities.

The fact that I was underestimating the maturity of this certain community though is apparent; I guess positive reinforcement, et cetera, isn't going to work in a community that stemmed from 4chan where people scream "Circlejerk!" and every form of user accreditation or individuality (something that was cried for when we started these forums). It can wait, at least until we get a more mature base.

I'll just kill the thank you system; it's already being abused by users proving a point that it can be abused anyway.

All it takes is one person that abuses it, that was pretty much my point.

I would love for a system like this to work, and like Tulpacouple said, it does in some communities, but considering this forum gets most of its users from 4chan and ponysites i wouldn't count on it.

Mabye if the phenomena settles down a bit later on it will be possible, but for now there seems to be too many people that wont be able to handle something like this, and that pretty makes it pointless to have.

De bedste og smukkeste ting i verden kan hverken ses eller røres, de må opleves med hjertet.

You guys just aren't mature enough for the system and I'll just re-implement it when there are more people who agree with my way of thinking

Whatever you say boss.

Astral project on my face, brother!