So... why exactly are tulpas so popular with Bronies?

PsychedelicDiamond

Every fandom associates every single goddamn thing with its source material.

well yes , what i meant was that this particular one would get to that point much faster and they'd tend to do it much more than others for that reason. (which , they do , don't they?)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never watched the show, so I can't say for sure, but from an outside view. I think there is also something to be said for the ease of creating a pony tulpa (not that it is easy, by any means). But they do make ideal candidates.

1)Defined archetype personality makes for eas(ier) personality work

2)Pre-defined form and voice (with lots of source art/fan art) makes visualizing easier (I imagine while 2d is harder to impose, it is easier to visualize)

Witty signatures are hard to think of.

Perhaps one exclusive aspect of the brony community is the emphasis on companionship. After all, the show focuses on friendship. However, there's a far simpler explanation.

Now, tulpae are not a well-known phenomenon. However, bronies, like many fandoms, are an extremely tight-knit community. The fans are constantly in communication, both with each other and with the makers of the show, and they have many memes that are exclusively in circulation within that community that don't really spread across to the rest of the community. As others have pointed out, most members of the fandom are prone to fantasising, may feel lonely and generally share many common characteristics that are in common with the tulpamancer community.

Quite simply, a few people in the brony community came across this website, had the idea of making a pony tulpa, and then decided to share the idea with the other bronies. Like many ideas within the brony community, it swept across the fandom, strongly appealing to the bronies, many of whom possess the characteristics that incline individuals towards tulpamancy.

That's the troube with the whole waifu thing imo, whenever someone says a character is their waifu you have no way of knowing if they're saying that in a tongue-in-cheek manner, if they have a tulpa of that character, or something in-between. If I had to guess, I'd say that probably between 5 and 20% of waifufags have a tulpa of their waifu, but they may or may not realize it's a tulpa.

I doubt it. It seems to me like most people view their "waifu" like a celebrity crush. You know, as a character they happen to find particulary attractive, not much more.

I doubt it. It seems to me like most people view their "waifu" like a celebrity crush. You know, as a character they happen to find particulary attractive, not much more.

Soulbonders.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

Soulbonders.

The waifufags of 4chan aren't anywhere close to being soulbonders. They have an obsession with a fictional character, and the level of obsession varies from it being just a joke, or to said person buying all merchandise of said characters, having gigs worth of pictures of said character, and there's the rare "marrying" of said character.

Most of these folk scoff at the idea of tulpa, and claim they "aren't that sad", or "don't want to go insane".

Yep...

Sock Cottonwell's

Sketchbook, Journal, and Ask thread.

Peace

Hey screw you man, Sasuphiroth Prime really does love me!

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

Most of these folk scoff at the idea of tulpa, and claim they "aren't that sad", or "don't want to go insane".

Reading this makes me feel good about making a tulpa. I know that I've really helped my fellow man through my endeavors. Who knows what deep well of shame and sadness these people might inhabit, had they nobody like me that they might hold themselves above? If none of us had made tulpas, what greater ronery would the waifufags have to compare themselves to?

Truly I have contributed to a community dedicated to bettering the states of sad men. For that, I can die happy.

“There is not enough love and goodness in the world to permit giving any of it away to imaginary beings.”

-Friedrich Nietzsche

Guest applesauce99

whenever someone says a character is their waifu you have no way of knowing if they're saying that in a tongue-in-cheek manner

reminds me of my cousin who has a justin beiber waifu. I talk to them about it and they seem deliberately insane saying that they are going to marry him someday. It scares me ;_;