So... why exactly are tulpas so popular with Bronies?

PsychedelicDiamond

I don't need a label to enjoy a television program. You're only a brony if you call yourself one

It's not so much that anyone is trying to confine you to a "label" as the fact you're a perfect fit to the definition of a brony. "Brony" refers to a male who enjoys MLP:FIM and is older than the intended target audience of children.

To argue the point is like insisting that a printed work consisting of several hundred pages glued together along one side and bound in covers is not a book. You fit the definition perfectly, why on earth resist being called one?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anon's point is that while he may be a big fan of FIM, he doesn't necessarily want to use the "brony" label. Which I can understand. Using the term usually brings up haunting images of spaghetti-spewing neckbeards wearing fedoras and raiding the girls' section at Toys R Us. *shudder*

It wouldn't bring up those images if more normal people would say "Yeah, i like FiM, i'm a brony." those associations would, at some point, go away. But no, the normal fans are all like "A Brony? Me? Oh, don't be silly! Those weirdos represent the fanbase, not me!"

But i don't want to derail my own Thread.

So... yeah, in fact i'm a Brony myself. And i'm trying to create a Tulpa. But i don't feel like those two things are related in any way. I'm not trying to make a pony and or anything else related to my fandom. I'm doing it out of a wish for company and... well, because it seems like an interesting experiment and the only thing i have to lose is my sanity... which was never particulary useful to me anyway.

Eh, I'll throw my own reasoning into the pot.

If I had not been a brony, I'd still have started, had I been in the same mindset/mood. Vee is a pony, but her form is a result of taking the set of concepts I *wanted* to work with and applying them to her personality, form, etc.

I was looking, first and foremost, for a friend and someone I could trust; I wanted to actually feel safe 'opening up' to someone who I wouldn't have to fear being judged or rejected by, I suppose. Someone I could talk to, and not have to be guarded in what I say lest it be twisted around against me (This last point is a sore spot, because it happens all the time).

When it came time to work on a form for Vee, I looked at the traits her personality had and how it played into the way I saw her and how she saw herself. Ultimately, I went with a pony form not because I wanted a pony, but because for me, ponies were associated with friendship, acceptance, and the ideals of working out problems towards a win-win situation.

tl;dr form followed personality through symbolism, while being a Brony affected form it didn't drive it.

Started forcing somewhere around August 31st

Visualized, Wonderland, constant communication. Working on possession and improved visualization. No auditory hallucination yet.

The show sucks you in, quite simply. It consumes your life. Poni poni poni everything and everywhere and all the time.

So then you hear about tulpas, and you're all like "Hey, how about a pony tulpa."

More or less.

Have you also noticed that there isn't anyone making a tulpa of any character from a live action show? I think cartoons of any kind are a lot more conducive because the characters are barely related to real actors, and having a tulpa that looks and sounds like someone else who does exist must be weird. (If any of you have done that, please explain it).

So that's one reason why cartoon fandoms are better for the practice, but I think the other reason for mlp popularity is summed up by the rampant friendship oozing out of its every pastel-colored orifice. It's easy to get attached enough to want one of your own. Except I didn't even if I like the show. OC's are more fun.

"Brony" refers to a male who enjoys MLP:FIM and is older than the intended target audience of children.

If that truly was the definition, I'd probably be OK with it. But it isn't, is it? Something more along the lines of obnoxious autistic neckbeard is what comes to mind for most people. If a label has to be forced onto me, I guess ponyfan or ponyfag is fine

Name: Lyra

Form: http://i.imgur.com/JjMxK.jpg

Sentience: Emotional responses, occasional brief vocalization

Currently doing: Personality & narration

Have you also noticed that there isn't anyone making a tulpa of any character from a live action show? I think cartoons of any kind are a lot more conducive because the characters are barely related to real actors, and having a tulpa that looks and sounds like someone else who does exist must be weird. (If any of you have done that, please explain it).

So that's one reason why cartoon fandoms are better for the practice, but I think the other reason for mlp popularity is summed up by the rampant friendship oozing out of its every pastel-colored orifice. It's easy to get attached enough to want one of your own. Except I didn't even if I like the show. OC's are more fun.

I considered basing my Tulpa on a celecrity crush of mine until i took a moment to think about it and realised that i'm not that immature.

But i see why character from a cartoon would be easier to do. The design of the FiM ponies is fairly simple, yet their faces are still really expressive.

I don't get why there's so much debate over what qualifies you as a "brony".

The gap between watching a show and getting its title is an age-old issue that everyone's kinda already got their head around.

There are people who watch Star Trek, and then there are Trekkies.

There are people who watch Doctor Who, and then there are Whovians.

Logically, there are people who watch My Little Pony, and then there are Bronies.

Nobody's ever complained that they can't tell if their friend is a Trekkie or has just watched it, it's kinda just something you know, and if you get it wrong nobody cares. Why is this still an issue, then?

I mean, here's a pretty foolproof test: Do they have any of the show's official merchandise?

Yes, no, bam, you're done in 99% of cases.

The above post does not contain facts.

q2's the host, QB's the tulpa.

I mean, here's a pretty foolproof test: Do they have any of the show's official merchandise?

Yes, no, bam, you're done in 99% of cases.

Well, I just watch (watched) the show, but my girlfriend think it's hilarious to give me toys and stuff from the show that I don't want.

"As for 'bronies commonly having tulpa', I don't think it necessarily stems from their stereotypical social ineptitude or their (again, stereotypical) lack of friends or a social life. The way I see it, you must have been at least somewhat curious to watch the show for the first time and open-minded to like it, two traits that I'm confident that most creators share. After they are engaged in the show, all it takes is someone to mention a tulpa to them."