Failure is possible.

Winter

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, I'd like to say that I have great respect for you. I greatly admire the dedication you have given this as shown by the hours you have put in without much in return, I can only imagine how frustrating it must be and I can't say I would have made it as far.

On the other hand I can't relate to your claims. When I first came to this community I was a strong skeptic, and when I first saw tulpas talking in IRC, I passed off what I read as fake. That changed quickly once I realized a few things.

1) If these people are roleplaying as you say, what would they have to gain from it? They have devoted many hours, actively contributed to the forums, etc. People don't fake that. Whether or not you are religious, this relates to religion. Do you honestly think Christians, Muslims, Jews or otherwise are "roleplaying"? Just as they have faith in their beliefs we have faith in our tulpae. As with anything that can't be empirically proven, there will always be skeptics. Just as many in this community believe in their tulpa before they hear them, followers can believe in their religion before some personal miracle.

2)You say that if you can't hear the tulpa audibly, there is little reason to believe in their existence. You use the word empirical, and imply you mean strictly what your senses can detect (hearing a tulpa). But empirical only means something that is based off of experience. I could just as well say that a fully imposed tulpa does not exist because they can't affect the physical world. But we can experience them before they are imposed and while they imposed. And besides, our senses are incredibly faulty and unreliable. Hearing voices before you sleep doesn't mean they are real, and hearing a tulpa should not be your only standard.

3)We have to accept that it is likely not everyone can make a tulpa. It's inevitable really. At the risk of oversimplifying it, "everyone is different". Just as some people can't run, some people are incapable of empathy, some of higher thinking, there is such a remarkable range of mental and physical attributes in humans that it boggles the mind. We don't know what the exact psychological method behind tulpa creation is, we never did. Freudian explanations? Freud has been almost completely debunked and is ignored in modern psychology. Hell, any neurobiologist will tell you how little we know about the brain. Our understanding is something just above "it works by magic". So, with such an impressively limited concept of the brain and the science behind tulpas, it is impossible to assert that everyone could do it, or the opposite, that quick progress can't be made.

Witty signatures are hard to think of.

We have to accept that it is likely not everyone can make a tulpa. It's inevitable really. At the risk of oversimplifying it, "everyone is different". Just as some people can't run, some people are incapable of empathy, some of higher thinking, there is such a remarkable range of mental and physical attributes in humans that it boggles the mind.

I'm not so certain. The brain remains surprisingly plastic even in adulthood. A great deal of things can be learned, often including empathy and higher thinking, provided the person believes it is possible, has a method that fits them, and (most importantly) truly has the will to make it happen.

I'm pretty sure that inability to properly suspend disbelief or to dissociate anything at all would both lead to not being able to create a tulpa. Both of these have been problems for me, I think. In my case, the inability to dissociate thoughts comes from not properly suspending disbelief. I'm still working some on suspension of disbelief, though I've been working on other dissociation that's more related to possession, switching, OBE, and just daydreaming deeper and easier. I'm not sure how related different kinds are, so I don't know if this will help accelerate progress on my tulpae as well.

A potential tip for suspending disbelief: Believing a lot may be easier than believing a little. Accepting one little thing, like that a given thought is from your tulpa, might not stick very well. Logic quickly comes in and questions it. On the other hand, if you made something like a whole area of thinking where none of the logic you're used to applies, it might make it "stick" better.

Lyra: human female, ~17

Evan: boy, ~14, was an Eevee

Anera: anime-style girl, ~12; Lyra made her

My blog :: Time expectations are bad (forcing time targets are good though)

@Chupi

In hindsight "likely" was not the best choice of word. "Possible" was the message I was trying to convey. I definitely think it'll take different amounts of time and effort for different people.

Witty signatures are hard to think of.

I, too, have failed to create a tulpa. A few weeks back I decided that I'd rather have a pony tulpa, so I threw out Alexandra. I did this by visualizing her form on a piece of paper, crumpling it up, throwing it in a recycled wicker waste basket (I am from a very Liberal-Arts family) and then setting it on fire.

Knowing that the huge time investment I'd put into Alexandra was a result of Fagman's evil troll methods, I set out to create my new pony tulpa using modern methods. I introduced myself before forcing, treated him as sentient, didn't use a wonderland, assumed anything he did was his own actions, and believed in him. Obviously I haven't been keeping an hour count, but I'd estimate that over the last three to four weeks I spent probably about fourteen hours on my tulpa. I have yet to have a fully imposed and vocal Hoity Toity.

I give up. I should have been seeing results far greater than this in much less time. I really don't know how this site gets away with calling itself scientific, obviously anybody who claims to have a pony tulpa is a roleplayer and a liar.

“There is not enough love and goodness in the world to permit giving any of it away to imaginary beings.”

-Friedrich Nietzsche

I don't think even the people using the new methods are getting fully imposed tulpae in fourteen hours. Did you really toss out Alexandra?

or you are being sarcastic, I can't tell. I'm having an off day

SSaint: I can only assume this is a joke. However, if it is not, or if anyone is considering actually doing this:

• You *can* change the form of an existing tulpa.
  • Having more than one tulpa in progress speeds progress on both.
  • 14 hours over 3-4 weeks is pretty cruddy. That's what, a half hour a day?
  • After a huge time investment, mentally discarding a tulpe and not forcing them for 3 weeks isn't going to kill them off. You'd be able to easily revive them with not too much effort.

Lyra: human female, ~17

Evan: boy, ~14, was an Eevee

Anera: anime-style girl, ~12; Lyra made her

My blog :: Time expectations are bad (forcing time targets are good though)

I thought Hoity Toity would be the dead giveaway. Who would make a Hoity Toity tulpa?

I was joking. Of course I didn't toss out Alexandra. I am sure she would appreciate the concern, though. I think the joke made her uneasy, she probably isn't mature enough yet to understand humor all that well.

I think that Alexandra's fictional fate would be a good story to tell to young tulpas who misbehave, however. In the story, though, she earns her demise by giving the creator too many headaches while he was trying to do math homework. It would be called, "I Am not Vocal and I Must Scream."

“There is not enough love and goodness in the world to permit giving any of it away to imaginary beings.”

-Friedrich Nietzsche