General Suggestions Thread

ThatOneGuy

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't even know this thread existed.

Is it possible to remove &highlight= from all search results? I guess theoretically it might help you find something specific you're looking for, but nine times out of ten it just makes "romance" or "wonderland" unreadable.

Hi guys, plain text is just me now! We've each got our own accounts: me, Tewi, Flandre, and Lucilyn. We're Luminesce's tulpas.

Here's our "Ask Thread", and here's our Progress Report (You should be able to see all of our accounts on the second page if you want)

• 3 weeks later...

Either you guys finally got the Your Deleted Posts section to work or Tulpa's the only one who knows how to use it. Either way, good job.

Also bump for Reisen's suggestion. The &highlight thing is extremely obnoxious.

Hi, I'm Tewi, one of Luminesce's tulpas. I often switch to take care of things for the others.

All I want is a simple, peaceful life. With my family.

Our Ask thread: https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

Things can definitely get messy with the search highlights, but I do also like to have them sometimes, personally. I'd like to hear how others feel about them.

Only the OP of threads (not posts) in YDP can see the deleted posts. That is always how that section has been, and it still is. If entire threads are deleted, or a series of posts from the same thread, only the one person will be able to see them.

"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."

I don't mind the highlights that much. It might be annoying when you're searching for something like "imposition", yeah, but there are some things that I likely would have missed otherwise. I guess that, if we were to remove those, you could still ctrl+f it.

I mean.. I guess if you guys are searching for the occurrence of specific terms and not posts or threads...? I specifically search for threads or posts exclusively, and even if I didn't I wouldn't want it to highlight anything.

Searching "Roman" for thread titles with romance, romantic etc. in them, finding an appropriate thread:

http://i.imgur.com/Vsi6d2v.png

http://i.imgur.com/ZhKkh5W.png

Amazing.

I honestly can't think of a time I would want it to highlight anything, but specifically not when searching thread titles. Melian once made a thread of polls or some such and some of the links had &highlight= on them, and it made those threads unreadable to me. She removed that part of the URLs afterward.

You're telling me you search for the term "had a tulpa", search whole threads, display as Posts, click the result, and then require it highlight the term "had a tulpa" lest you have to ctrl+f it in the resulting textwall you found? I don't see it. That was a random example I wrote first and checked second, but maybe you have a much better and convincing term, I don't know.

Either way, I guarantee the majority of searches don't benefit from the &highlight= tag in the URL, and changing the URL takes equal or slightly more effort than searching with ctrl+f. A lot of people don't even know how to remove the highlighting. Since searching with "Display results as posts" - which you would reasonably do when searching outside of thread titles - directs you straight to the post itself, I see very little potential ambiguity without automatic highlighting.

But I'm surprised even two of you didn't immediately agree, so if I'm missing a common method of using the Search feature, do provide examples.

Only the OP of threads (not posts) in YDP can see the deleted posts. That is always how that section has been, and it still is. If entire threads are deleted, or a series of posts from the same thread, only the one person will be able to see them.

We have never once seen one of our posts in that subforum. Until now, and it's not even my thread. Did Tulpa do something different, then? Because I've had other posts of mine deleted in the exact same conditions and can't view them. Not having our threads deleted would otherwise explain that though.

Edit: Imagine if there were a "Highlight search results" option, wouldn't that be great? Though I'm pretty sure you guys don't have control over this sort of thing in the first place.

Hi, I'm Tewi, one of Luminesce's tulpas. I often switch to take care of things for the others.

Again, I agree it can be kind of annoying, and the search in general kind of sucks. Sometimes though, I am searching not for a specific thread, but for someone having said a particular thing. Yes, I could ctrl+f, but it's nice to have the highlight sometimes, if for no other reason than that I would have to re-ctrl+f every time I clicked on a new page in a thread. In a thread with 10+ pages, that can get tedious, and would take up even more time than actually looking for the term.

Regarding YDP, the post of yours that was recently deleted, you are the "OP" of the "thread" in YDP. Because it's the only post in that "thread". Compared to this thread where Glitterbutt is the "OP", regardless of whether she was the OP in the original thread the posts were deleted from. Only Glitterbutt would be able to see these posts.

"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."

Ah, so the initial post before mine was merged elsewhere leaving only my post left in the thread, whereas in the past when this happened somebody else became (or stayed) the OP. Got it.

Edit: Wait, that's terrible. This is a terrible system...

Definitely keep up the PMs notifying people their posts were deleted (if they could be missed). Just remember we can't view them under most circumstances.

Most of the time, when posts of yours are deleted, they are deleted along with several others, since you aren't typically the one to have instigated an off-topic tangent, or what-have-you, so the posts are deleted together as a group, and make up a thread of deleted posts in YDP, with only the author of the first of the deleted posts able to see it. What happened this time is simply that they were deleted individually. It might sound nice to do that, because it allows you to see your post, but it can certainly be messier, and breaks the continuity and context of the deleted posts.

If there were an option for anyone with a post in a YDP thread to be able to see it, then we'd do that, but unfortunately, there isn't. At least this is better than in the past, when all deleted posts were invisible to everyone.