General Suggestions Thread

ThatOneGuy

I say a guide board is good. I'm not sure that having to filter everything through pleeb first is, though, because of how the guides and other information sets can have discussion about them. I think that all a thread needs to be able to be posted in the Guides section is useful information or potential for useful information. What I mean by potential is stuff like my "what NOT to do" thread. I onlly had four or so points, but it soon had others contributing. It's all for the sake of getting the information out there.

[Note: Opinions]

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with tulpatalk, I don't think it would need to be filtered through me, just, if someone has a guide and stuff to post, then they could post it in the Guides board. Topics that aren't guides (questions, non-contributing rants, tulpa-related discussion, etc) could be moved out the guides board and into the proper forum.

Spoiler

An image in a signature behind a hidden tag! 

image.png.4b4fd4a211261c307de1fb4de85312d6.png

Idea:

A bot or something that locks all threads that haven't been posted in a set amount of time, like three weeks. People could still message moderators to open it if they had something constructive to post.

[Note: Opinions]

I don't like tulpatalk's idea; the whole forum would be cluttered with locked threads, which doesn't look nice at all. It's simply just normal forum culture to not bump old threads, and oblivious people must learn that or the rest of the band will treat said person like said person deserves to be treated.

Instead, I suggest showing a "This thread hasn't been posted in for X days/weeks/months. Go make a new thread." warning to those trying to post in old threads. Some forums do that, and it works fine. I mean, you never know when it might be useful to update a thread with new information, for instance. Just saying.

Back when I was contemplating the rules for the forums, I was considering having a rule against necroposting (bumping a topic older than a month). I decided against it, because I figure there may be a legitimately useful -- but aged -- thread that someone may want to contribute to. Also, assuming people actually search the forums before posting... Let's just say that I'd rather have the same "Personality before Form?" topic bumped once a month then see a new "Personality before Form?" topic every month. Know what I mean? With that being said, if you think a topic someone bumped isn't relevant to the thread, I'd ask that you use the "Report" system.

I'm with Fede; I don't think we should be locking old threads, though I can look around to see if a "This topic hasn't been posted in, for X days, are you sure you want to reply?"-type warning on older topics.

Spoiler

Also, assuming people actually search the forums before posting...

Wouldn't that be nice? Then we wouldn't have "I Need Narration Help" still fresh and on the front page and immediately followed by "Hey Guys I Also Need Narration Help" and then "What Questions Should I ask During Narration?" all three on the front page while someone else makes the topic "Should I Narrate Out Loud?"

I may eventually be able to get around to changing the locked topic icons; it's just that it's a matter of opening up all the image files and editing them and stuff.

As for spoiler tags, I'll try to get some in this week; css-style spoilers shouldn't be hard at all.

Wouldn't that be nice? Then we wouldn't have "I Need Narration Help" still fresh and on the front page and immediately followed by "Hey Guys I Also Need Narration Help" and then "What Questions Should I ask During Narration?" all three on the front page while someone else makes the topic "Should I Narrate Out Loud?"

The issue is getting them to actually read it such a topic I pin.

I had an idea on how we could do this, when we first started the forum; we used a "Newcomers" board:

So why is there a "Newcommers" board when everyone posts in the same thread FAQ made anyway?

Should just make a sticky'd intro thread or something somewhere.

Maybe, just saying. If you see differently I get it.

Some people are posting in FAQ's topic, others are just making a topic of their own; I still find having a topic of their own is more organized, but I have seen it successfully done both ways here and here are two examples of Introduction boards; here is an example of a single Introduction thread).

The primary reason I decided on having a "Newcomers" board is because people will end up flocking there first when they register; this is a nice way to catch them with those "Read this before posting" topics, to assure they've read the rules, guides, etc.

In this case, DreamViews has all of their "The Beginner's Guide to Lucid Dreaming," and "Welcome New Members!" topics in their introduction sections.

Also, I may or may not be able to have notices come up on the New Topic screen itself; I'll try to come up with something there, when posting in General Discussion.

Spoiler