Concern with the community

Purlox

Because roleplaying is an effective tool in creating a tulpa, perhaps there should be a designated place for people to do it. I propose we make an IRC channel for roleplaying proto-tulpae to help people get down the personality.

Lyra: human female, ~17

Evan: boy, ~14, was an Eevee

Anera: anime-style girl, ~12; Lyra made her

My blog :: Time expectations are bad (forcing time targets are good though)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Die roleplay scum!

10/10 A++ nice contribution.

Great post that is surely destined to win you a Nobel prize.

OT:

I agree with Josh.

Roleplaying might be harmful for some people that are looking for information (and are too blind to see through it), but since there is no actual proof other than "it´s so obvious" there really isn´t anything you can do about it.

De bedste og smukkeste ting i verden kan hverken ses eller røres, de må opleves med hjertet.

You know its funny I have the exact opposite concern about the forums.

Too many people openly believe everything that is posted and refuse to exercise critical thinking skills.

One of the forums major shit storms involved a guest showing up and making dubious claims, which evolved into ridiculous claims, which the vast majority of people posting in thread took at face value unquestioning. Then when he came out as a troll everyone got so butthurt guest posting was disabled.

Too many people are too naive and most of the people who have doubts about others' claims are so worried about hurting feelings that they dont come forward.

It has demonstrably made the forum worse imho, and some of these unchallenged claims destroy any hope of tulpa being taken seriously.

And if you are lucky enough to actually have a tulpa, instead of crying if someone happens to not believe you, be happy that you have a fucking tulpa.

I'm partially just gonna end up echoing what Amadeus said, but...

I think the best approach if you're skeptical and concerned by roleplaying... don't be rude to the individuals who you consider to be roleplaying, those stories you find most incredulous and dubious. Simply do not interact with them and politely ignore their claims.

There are a number of people I talk to on the IRC who believe in things I find totally suspect, and I've made it clear to some of them that I am not taking all their claims on-board, but I am never directly rude to them. I do occasionally remind them that their claims are not considered fact by all, and they should not extol the most dubious claims (for example, astral projection) at curious newbies. But even though I have reasonable doubt, I have never accused any of them directly, as I've seen people do, of "roleplaying" or "making shit up for attention".

So long as the forums have reasonable standards of decency, good moderation, and separation of threads, such that those with more questionable claims can make them freely in their own threads and anyone can choose to listen to them or not, and those who disagree do so politely and do not make personal attacks over it, then the community overall will benefit all its members well. The tulpa phenomenon is extremely subjective and we are barely skimming the surface of understanding it, so it is better that all claims are heard and scrutinized separately, without accusations or out-of-hand dismissal. Yes, some will eagerly lap up even the most seemingly incoherent or implausible of stories, but that's their problem, not a problem that will affect yourself or the presence of information that contradicts their claims. Even if the forums somehow became flooded with people who genuinely believe and claim they have 20 tulpa and have been physically transported to Equestria by the power of magic crystals, so long as the moderation is even-handed and ensures that critical thinking is applied to any sort of collaborative endeavour (the guides, the glossary, all the front-facing site stuff), this community won't suffer. Certain parts of the forum might become headache-inducing, but then I'd suggest getting off the forum and talking to your tulpa instead.

We're not the first community to be faced with this issue either. There are lucid dreaming forums where people keep dream logs - some of these dreams read like poor-quality fanfiction, and I can say without a doubt that some of them probably are pure fiction and never took place as anyone's dream. However, proving that they're lying is a nonsense, and there's no point attacking the individuals over it. So long as they don't attempt to force everyone else to use their mystical and esoteric means to lucid dream, and spam up other threads telling people, then they're just another member of the community with their own claims and experiences. The community doesn't suffer for a few more outlandish cases and individuals, so long as anyone new gets baseline information first and foremost. The same applies to us, and the site is thankfully set up to favour people getting "vetted" content first and random user content second. That does mean that right now FAQ/Dane's guides are front and center, complete with all their errors and foibles, but those are being revised along with a whole slew of new content to come from other users.

TL;DR: It's possible to be polite without being accepting. Tolerance does not mean agreement. Don't be rude, but don't stop being skeptical.

ちぇえええええええええええええええええええええええええええええ~ん!

@Glass: If someone is saying something unusual has happened to them, then you should take it with grain of salt, especially as a newcomer. But my main point is that accusing anyone of RPing without any proof hurts the community, so even if you have some doubts that what someone said is true, then you still shouldn't call them RPs automatically.

@justsaiyn: What you said is more similar to what I complained about more than you realise. The OP was about how some people in this community accuse others of RPing without getting to the conclusion using critical thinking. What you are complaining about is the other extreme on the same "line", where people automatically assume it's true, which can be also harmful to the community, but I would argue it isn't as bad as this.

Guest applesauce99

Because roleplaying is an effective tool in creating a tulpa,

wait what did I miss something

wait what did I miss something

If you keep telling yourself there's a tulpa living in your head and acting like there already is one, it certainly seems to help and accelerate the whole process to my knowledge. I'm not too sure of the merits of going on forums and making claims upon things that haven't actually happened yet in order to reinforce your belief, but the process of "role-playing" in and of itself does seem to help, even if "Forum RP" is distinct from that.

In addition to my screed above targeting skeptics, I don't think it really needs saying, but it's not worth lying about experiences you have or haven't had to the forums. Don't feel pressured to claim that you've built a magical wonderland and go flying with your tulpa every day just because you've been registered for months and are still struggling to hear them. Be honest, and you're more likely to get genuine help - not that I believe anyone is actually lying on the forums about their experiences.

ちぇえええええええええええええええええええええええええええええ~ん!

The sort of roleplay I consider useful is temporarily taking on the personality of an early tulpa and trying to act as they would. Usually those interacting with you know what you're doing. Think the sort of stuff people do when playing a tabletop RPG or cosplaying -- "channeling" a character, consciously emulating their personality. This solidifies the personality in your mind and lets you get to know them better.

Lyra: human female, ~17

Evan: boy, ~14, was an Eevee

Anera: anime-style girl, ~12; Lyra made her

My blog :: Time expectations are bad (forcing time targets are good though)

I doubt that roleplaying doesn't have a place in making a tulpa, since just about everyone starts out making a personality chart and envisioning what their tulpa would do in situation x and y. That's roleplaying, and it helps. It's just conjecture on my part, but I think what people may be getting hung up in is the transition from that 'pretend play' where they envision how their tulpa would act to seeing real sentient responses that they haven't made for themselves. I bet some people are going on without even knowing they're still in the roleplaying phase. But if they're putting honest effort into the process, labeling them as a roleplayer is only going to hurt the progress they believe is happening. I think after awhile, accidental roleplaying is just something to grow out of.

So if the case is instead something really outlandish, like what possession or beneficial parroting used to be, I think the person's history on the site will speak for themselves best. For example, maybe a new user really has been able to completely trade places with his tulpa... maybe, but I can't take that at face value. There has been more than one account that turned out to be complete trolling bs (give this thread a good read for some prime context), and people who are only out to ridicule us shouldn't be given praise. Every legitimate user deserves better than that. Their stupid accounts and ourselves buying into them makes all of us look bad.

Honestly, the solution is just to use your heads. Ask probing questions on crazy accounts, check what else the user has posted that may be believable, and when all of that's done and their story still doesn't check out, just drop it. If you've done your research, I would even encourage skeptics to politely ask about what doesn't make sense. Part of making a tulpa is about settling on a consistent character, and I just see a response like that as constructive criticism. If I was an honest 'roleplayer', I'd welcome it.