"Subselves"

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

While doing research I came across a therapist who has been producing various videos in an attempt to educate people on "subselves". He isn't the first to coin this word - from what I've found Douglas T. Kenrick was. A subself is a "fragmented" personalty. This implies that we do not have one personality, but many that govern how we, the host, act. Sound familiar? The therapist - whom has devoted a large portion of his website to this - has grouped the subself personalities into three groups:

• Children
  • Guardians
  • Managers

In a quick summary, the "children" personalities spark emotions, such as anger and sadness. The "guardians" try their best to protect the children personalities with things like procrastination, doubt, and delusion. The "managers" are the logical personalities that includes you, your Self.

So what? The thing that caught my eye was that he stated the personalities can, and often will, have their own unique back story, form, name, and gender. He further states that they may either be well developed or not, have varying levels of activity, and are all benign (although are often misguided). Start to see a connection? No? He calls the body the Host, claims the personalities act just like normal people do, and are a capable of communicating with us in a variety of ways:

communicate with each other and with "us" via thoughts ("inner voices")' date=' hunches, feelings, images, visions, memories, day and night dreams, and physical sensations (e.g. "tight" stomachs and throats, neck and back pains, cramps, headaches, tinglings or numbness, "floating anxiety", "panic attacks", warm or cool skins, thumping hearts, "crawling" and "light" feelings, and many others)[/quote']

The thing is, he's been uploading videos on this since 2011 and has been working with this subject matter for 17 years professionally. Better yet, he has a guide on how to talk to a subself within twenty minutes. Mind that the website itself is oriented to dealing with trauma and family dysfunction, but even so, there's an entire series oriented around the subself deal.

Subself FAQ

Discuss.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

While it's interesting that there is yet another completely separate phenomenon so closely related to tulpae, none of it is necessarily groundbreaking. The technique for meeting one of your subselves is extremely similar to a lot of already establish methods for gaining a sentient tulpa. The only distinction is that the subself only embodies a single trait, and you're treating the subself as a true division of your personality, not a separate sentient being. It's still interesting to look into, and it might do some good to contact him with the idea of tulpae, but I certainly don't see how this would shorten the time it takes for a tulpa to become sentient by any amount. On a side note, I essentially half-started an unwanted tulpa by following his instructions without checking ahead first, so be advised.

>make a list of your own traits, as another person would see you

>pick a trait to focus on

>make a wonderland

>meet this subself

>talk to them as with another person

>accept whatever answers come

This sounds *SO* close to tulpaforcing...

Lyra: human female, ~17

Evan: boy, ~14, was an Eevee

Anera: anime-style girl, ~12; Lyra made her

My blog :: Time expectations are bad (forcing time targets are good though)

On a side note, I essentially half-started an unwanted tulpa by following his instructions without checking ahead first, so be advised.

Don't worry, dad, I'll use protection.

“There is not enough love and goodness in the world to permit giving any of it away to imaginary beings.”

-Friedrich Nietzsche

Good finding, it's astounding how similar it is to our methods.

Even though none of this is really groundbreaking, i think that there's stuff to learn from Peter Gerlach since he says he's doing it for about 19 years.

They say great science is built on the shoulders of giants - not here.

At Tulpa.info we do all our science from scratch; no hand holding.

It may not shorten tulpa-making time, or be of much use to those that are familiar with the making of tulpae, but, as a beginner in this art, I found it useful. I was able to learn to distinguish the subself's voice from my own, and before that I had no idea of how I might do that when my tulpa learns to speak. I also now have an idea as to how I am going to be able to recognise my own tulpa's voice.

That's just ducking g hallatious, im asosomwe!

Here is my progress...

Good finding, it's astounding how similar it is to our methods.

It is actually astonishing how that is similar with my own progress, is not exactly, but my tulpas' personalities resembles what he call "children, guardian and manager" a bit, not sure why but it ended there without me realizing, the "they are still part of yourself rather than another being" is another matter entirely, they are their own persons as far as i know, they just "remind me" so to speak, the parts of my own personality that they represent.