Methos's Tulpa Creation Guide

GGMethos

Question

Updated February 6, 2014 with some slight changes.

Hello all, I wrote a guide trying my very best to try and go over everything in the process that I used. The guide can be found on Github here:

https://gist.github.com/cmcsun/5341046

OUTDATED VERSIONS:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33241186/Tulpa/guides/May%20the%20Force%20Be%20With%20You.pdf

http://pastebin.com/yenixUxK

Feel free to ask me about any questions you might have about the guide.

This is STILL a work in progress as there as a few more things that I want to add to my guide here. Let me know what you guys think of it.

"Assert the supremacy of your Imaginal acts over facts and put all things in subjection to them... Nothing can take it from but your failure to persist in imagining the ideal realized."

-Neville Goddard

• Answers 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Definitely a guide that gets my vote. Lots of information and plenty of ideas for people starting out. I would simply ask that the much nicer looking PDF be edited into the first post for easy access.

Definitely gets my vote as well.

People will just have to realize that other people's means of symbolism, ideologies, explanations and such will be a goldmine of information for newcomers. Especially most that are trying to garner a totality of comprehensive attributes in relation to tulpas since we all have for the time being is to be resourceful with anecdotes, experiential learnings, and applications of pre-existing knowledge of psychology and such to understand the concept of tulpas better.

The push for quality and thought-out content is inevitable, and it's an understatement to state a guide like this would be a rehash of other guides. Newcomers aren't always going to be so picky and have a pit-pattering rage of favoritism on anything that gives them a good comprehension of things. Even though most people would combine attributes from other guides/tips and tricks/etc., at least it shows that being versatile in the first place is more pragmatic.

The time where people only follow a single guide or a few sets of guides will slowly die since explaining the tulpa phenomenon will probably be a progressive experience of updating and finding more ways to understand it all.

First of all, that fucking pony ASCII art. I mean, seriously? I'm not even going to lie, the first time this guide popped up when it was written, that's as far as I got when it was linked to me. In a way, maybe you were meaning this to be for the idiots who come here thinking they are going to make their super special pony girlfriend who will love them forever, a pony image would make them read this as they think it's meant for them and read a lot of good stuff they need to read. Maybe learn a thing or two and stop being as idiotic as they would have without. But it's going to alienate everyone who also would learn a lot of good stuff from it but will go "oh it's for those ponyfuckers, I don't want to be involved in that". Is that what you want?

The use of indentations also make it harder to read. Not as hard as if there were no stops between the paragraphs so thanks for that, but it still makes it look like quite the text wall. It could be made much neater and easier to read. This isn't a newspaper.

Also, Pastebin's monotype font isn't the nicest thing to read for long periods of time, so I do suggest changing that as well. Now, Google Docs is a slow piece of shit and PDFs otherwise could be much better and it's annoying to have to deal with them when you want to give it a quick look, but you don't have a problem with linking to your guide on other sites. Fede already hosts his guide elsewhere but that's more because of how he's banned here and couldn't edit his guide, but there's more room for you to post your guide and it should fit in one post. I'd suggest you give us an alternative like that, it would be easy on the eyes. Assuming you clean up the guide itself a bit because it's pretty difficult to read at places.

Overall, really, even if I don't agree with everything 100%, it's not a bad guide. Just the format could be much better. Also thank god for giving a good example of using "hour counts" to your advantage ("I promise you that we will force X hours a week every week. (This is optional but I feel that it is better to set a goal for yourself when you are forcing)."). I do want to approve this and I guess I will, but please, think of what I said. I believe it would make this guide so much better and easier to approach. Not sure if you have any excuses (yes, excuses, not reasons, lalala) for why you have formatted it the way you have in this thread, but implying I'll go looking for it.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

Definitely a guide that gets my vote. Lots of information and plenty of ideas for people starting out. I would simply ask that the much nicer looking PDF be edited into the first post for easy access.

Thanks, I will do that.

First of all, that fucking pony ASCII art. I mean, seriously? I'm not even going to lie, the first time this guide popped up when it was written, that's as far as I got when it was linked to me. In a way, maybe you were meaning this to be for the idiots who come here thinking they are going to make their super special pony girlfriend who will love them forever, a pony image would make them read this as they think it's meant for them and read a lot of good stuff they need to read. Maybe learn a thing or two and stop being as idiotic as they would have without. But it's going to alienate everyone who also would learn a lot of good stuff from it but will go "oh it's for those ponyfuckers, I don't want to be involved in that". Is that what you want?

The use of indentations also make it harder to read. Not as hard as if there were no stops between the paragraphs so thanks for that, but it still makes it look like quite the text wall. It could be made much neater and easier to read. This isn't a newspaper.

Also, Pastebin's monotype font isn't the nicest thing to read for long periods of time, so I do suggest changing that as well. Now, Google Docs is a slow piece of shit and PDFs otherwise could be much better and it's annoying to have to deal with them when you want to give it a quick look, but you don't have a problem with linking to your guide on other sites. Fede already hosts his guide elsewhere but that's more because of how he's banned here and couldn't edit his guide, but there's more room for you to post your guide and it should fit in one post. I'd suggest you give us an alternative like that, it would be easy on the eyes. Assuming you clean up the guide itself a bit because it's pretty difficult to read at places.

Overall, really, even if I don't agree with everything 100%, it's not a bad guide. Just the format could be much better. Also thank god for giving a good example of using "hour counts" to your advantage ("I promise you that we will force X hours a week every week. (This is optional but I feel that it is better to set a goal for yourself when you are forcing)."). I do want to approve this and I guess I will, but please, think of what I said. I believe it would make this guide so much better and easier to approach. Not sure if you have any excuses (yes, excuses, not reasons, lalala) for why you have formatted it the way you have in this thread, but implying I'll go looking for it.

The point was so that I didn't want to format it to look nice. I wanted something anyone could easily read in their text editor and format however they wanted. It's a long guide and I feel that most people take bits and pieces of it rather than read the entire thing from start to finish in one sitting. I'm not really the best writer and I certainly did not go out of my way to make my guide look "pretty" because quite frankly, I did not care and I don't think a lot of the readers care too much either. I do appreciate the criticism however and I assure you it looks much nicer in the PDF format as well as the wiki page for it on the tulpa wikia.

"Assert the supremacy of your Imaginal acts over facts and put all things in subjection to them... Nothing can take it from but your failure to persist in imagining the ideal realized."

-Neville Goddard

The PDF version of this guide is very nice, looks like the quality of a professional e-book or something. Packed to the brim with legit information - although some of it can be a little confusing to people who don't understand all the computer analogies. The only section I found not too useful was the audial imposition section, but no other description of that step exists elsewhere. I realize my review of the guide is short, but my sentiment towards this guide is positive, and I approve of it.

WTB: Rare Tulpas

Guest Anonymous

Approved

It covers things well. A little longer than it may need to be. Your writing has improved since you came here.

Page 2

I know you quoted FAQ_Man directly, but the bit where he says "since the schism is essentially from your subconscious" is factually wrong. This will lead people to thinking that their tulpa is their subconscious and only into further misinformation and misunderstandings (that I can see bringing about issues). "The subconscious" is not a location and there's nothing that can come "from" there, it's only things you are aware of but not consciously aware of. (Quote from Wikipedia: "In psychology, the subconscious is the part of consciousness that is not currently in focal awareness.")

So, my advice would be to leave out that last bit, as it also implies that making a tulpa is like gaining a "superpower" of sorts ("allowing near-perfect memory recall, strong and fast math-cranking and other feats") which, in practice, is actually rarely seen.

"Most people always fuck up their first time and that's OK."

I don't like this. This is a form of frontloading and might make new people afraid of "fucking up". I believe the only mistakes you can make are either doing the complete opposite of what a legit guide advises you to do, or not forcing at all. This will only bring about questions such as "Guys am I doing this right?" "I've made no progress, I think I'm doing it wrong" etc.

It'd be better to change this into something along the lines of "Most people have trouble with this practice at first, but that's OK." It'd be much less frightening for a new user who is prone to do something ineffectively than telling them they might fuck up with a process where measuring progress is extremely hard at first. The rest of the page is fine to me.

Page 3

I wouldn't recommend posting a link to Bluesleeve's tumblr, as the very first post on that tumblr basically says .info has turned to shit, and he is therefore leaving. Makes it kinda odd if that's what follows a link to tulpa.info saying it's "The greatest tulpa website ever". I'm also not sure about why you mentioned the fiction you're writing in your pastebin. I don't mind that it's there, but it seems kind of irrelevant to tulpas, and therefore not really necessary to mention.

I do like how you mention that you've read every guide you've found multiple times. Sets a good example.

Page 4

I know you quoted FAQ_Man's definition of tulpas in the beginning of the guide, but it'd be nice if you started off this section with your own definition. I know it might be confusing if it's too different from FAQ's (but if it's too different, why quote him anyway?) but a more expansive explanation of what you think tulpas are would be a nice addition to this guide, seeing as you have no glossary. This is just a suggestion, I'll still approve of this guide without this if you decide not to add it.

Your definition of forcing is very weak. You don't have a glossary, and since you stated that you wanted the guide to be helpful to everyone, it'd be nice if you could give a slightly broader definition of both active and passive forcing. People also passive force outside of imposition, and people can also take the "sitting down and visualizing" bit very literally. On top of that, in my experience, there's way more to forcing than just visualizing. In a creation guide, it's essential to explain what forcing is properly. For this point specifically, I can't approve of this guide unless this is fixed.

"If you think of them just like that,

the Tulpa with its own data and you with yours, but you are able all of the data together!"

I don't like the computer analogy but it works for some, so it's fine with me. That black box approach seems rather out of place, though, and I'm not sure how it fits in between forcing and personality, layout-wise. Also, you should fix that typo.

"Alright, this is going to be a bit longer, but I would appreciate if you would read it, as it is very important."

This should be self-evident for the entire guide. I think you can remove this sentence, if someone doesn't want to read they won't read it anyway, and seeing as the guide itself is already expansive, you should try making it as short as possible without diminishing quality.

"The main question here is - what exactly is a personality?"

You literally asked the same question three lines above that. Once again, this is self-evident.

"To be honest I don’t know it myself. I’m not a psychiatrist and I am not a biologist (even though I’m quite interested in these sorts of things)."

This is just a suggestion, but you should look up what a personality is and include it in a guide. Outside of guides, there's nothing worse than reading something where the writer poses a question and doesn't know how to answer it, unless that's exactly what leads them to their point, which isn't the case here.

"The personality as a product of its experiences"

Is*

I like the black box analogy, but I feel as though the wording here is poor. If other GATs don't feel the same way, I'll ignore this point, but I'd honestly like to see this worded better. If you don't know how to do it, I could give suggestions, but I won't right now to not make this post any longer. The typos, grammar mistakes and excessive use of commas really shouldn't be there though. Also, the cause of phobias has little to do with tulpa creation, you can remove that line.

Page 5

My last statements sorta bled over into page 5, but I'm continuing here starting from "The human black box"

This is where the analogy starts getting complicated and hard to follow, at least for me. Analogies, in my opinion, should always be kept short, simple and straightforward. Adding many details to them to go deeper into your explanation only confuses the reader. And even if it's understandable, it can turn into trying to keep up with the analogy rather than trying to understand what the analogy is trying to explain. This entire section needs a revision.

"What the hell is a Tulpa then?" is followed by "What happens when we create a tulpa?". Your header questions should be relevant to what follows them, changing the original question only looks messy. What follows it, though, makes sense, even without reading the "human black box" section.

Page 6

I really like how you included Phi's Pre-Creation stage. I did this myself (albeit not his version) and it's very helpful. Do remember to add a second quote at the end of the piece of text you're quoting, though.

Your personal approach to it is frontloading. It's too direct (even though it's an example, people love following examples when they don't know what to do) and leaves LITTLE room for open interpretation. I know what you're trying to achieve here, and the intent is great, but the example itself is too literal and personal for anyone to benefit from in my opinion. Using this example is like telling the reader what to do, step by step, rather than letting them figure it out for themselves. I suggest removing that whole piece and changing it to something MUCH vaguer that is easier to interpret subjectively.

Page 7

(it's late right now and i'm tired, but I'll finish the rest tomorrow.)

Good guide, approved.

This is a guide I have seen used by many people with very successful results. I can also personally say that this guide has proven to my useful during my own process. You organized the process in an orderly fashion through the use of titles, headings, ext., making this a very easy to follow guide as well. It is organized, clear, and helpful.

Additionally, I also like your use of explaining the system of writing down personality traits. That seems to by a dying art now-a-days and I am happy to see one of the more popular guides discussing it as opposed to totally avoiding it.

Overall, great work, and I hope this helps many more people.

My guide on tulpa creation

Please consider making a private grant to tulpa.info to keep the community alive.

GAT Commentary:

Approved.

However, there's a few things that may be worth updating as other people have said, including the references (links).

It may also be a good idea not to prime the user with the idea that they will "fuck it up the first time" (``Most people always fuck up their first time and that's OK'').

While making a tulpa is obviously a learning experience, it doesn't mean someone should expect to make unrecoverable mistakes. There's a few other expectations ("I did not feel any kind of real presence existing in my mind until about 20 hours in to the process, which for me was slightly less than two weeks in.") which may also prime the reader in certain directions that may be undesirable to them - instead it may be worth saying "after you get more used to the tulpa, you may feel their mental presence besides you".

As for the "black box" approach - if one is to use computer analogies like you did, a thread within a process is a more accurate analogy than a VM - if only because access and identity is more malleable - and a VM typically is isolated from the host, while a thread runs "independently" of other threads while having its own local memory, but still has the same rights over the process and its memory space (ex. for an independent tulpa, it would be one shared body and memory pools).

Although I suppose people are more familiar with OSes and VMs rather than processes, threads/contexts and their memory - even if the latter is a closer analogy (if one is to make such analogies at all) to a tulpa as the relationship is more 'equal' than a VM which runs within a host (and may be emulated, depending on the implementation).

Aside from that, I do like the "black box" approach in that it's a good starting attitude towards developing an independent tulpa as you end up assuming they have some degree of thought privacy and their own will and memories, as well as the most important attribute of all: personhood.

The "What the hell is a Tulpa then?" makes a few strong assumptions about the physical/neurological nature of the tulpa - which is currently unknown to current science - we can model it psychologically (for example, as an independent/autonomous, conscious phenomenal self-model which is similar to (if not the same class of thing as) our own ego, but which allows for plenty of privacy of thought, different accessible memories, a different working memory and so on).

It may be more useful to describe the nature of the experience and the perception of the tulpa relative to the creator, rather than make assumptions about how neural nets develop (which may also carry unseen assumptions for the reader, again slowing their progress - I do recall making a few weird "theoretical" assumptions about a tulpa's nature which were fairly useless and only slowed down my progress needlessly).

Also, one more thing on the reference to Bluesleeve's opinions - AFAIK he doesn't believe much in the black box model or even in tulpas being independent - you'd see this if you were to read his more recent entries - even if he originally might have either had such beliefs and entertained them as a hypothesis.

However, I do think some of his guides are good (like the essence one), even if a bit too rich in symbolism - in practice one can get to a tulpa's "essence" without doing anything more than careful introspection of one's mental states.

The personality section could have some alternatives: for example you mentioned Bluesleeve's essence thing - that can easily replace a rigorous trait-based approach to personality - it's more of an alternative, and many times there's no real need to mix an essence based method, a trait based one, a parrot-and-stop-after-a-while based one and so on as far as personality goes - one of them is typically sufficient, unless it didn't work at all (the goal being to end up feeling that you have another person sharing your mindspace with you).

The "5. Emotions/Sentience" section is named rather correctly (an independent tulpa can give off all kinds of emotional responses), yet aside from the section title, I'm not seeing much of a mention of emotional responses in the actual content.

You've also used hour counts - for some people this is good as it disciplines them, but for more impatient ones, it may make them treat it like a chore or make them form weird expectations thus stifling their progress.

The "Final Thoughts" section seems to include some of the one-liner advice that used to be in the Tulpa General threads (/mlp/ and beyond), some of those advices are good, but others are of questionable nature, for example:

"5. Do not worry and do not have doubt. Remove all traces of doubt from your head. I cannot stress this enough. Doubt is the cancer of Tulpaforcing."

"6. Believe what your Tulpa is doing is what your Tulpa is doing, not you puppeting her..."

is something that I find a bit questionable - you should trust in your tulpa to be able to do stuff, but a curious and sometimes doubtful attitude sometimes gets a tulpa to make more progress than if you're accepting any intrusive thought as your tulpa.

Many times one's experiences will just make it impossible not to doubt and rather than deal with the doubt head on, some people suppress it while still encountering it and leading to more issues.

An example of a better mindset would be this: http://tulpanetwork.com/network/general-discussion/absence-of-disbelief-or-schrodinger%27s-tulpa/

A few examples of people who had had major issues with the "don't doubt no matter what" mindset can be found in this thread: http://community.tulpa.info/thread-misinterpretation-of-%E2%80%9Cassuming-sentience-from-start%E2%80%9D-philosophy

That said, while I do disapprove of 5 and 6, I do think 10("Trust your Tulpa") is quite beneficial - having trust in the tulpa (be it their current intent or more general things like their existence, personhood, will, abilities, etc), especially as they slowly earn it is a great boost to progress and to actually having fun with your tulpa and having interesting and meaningful interactions with them.

I'm unsure what to think of 4 ("Don't expect a voice out of nowhere. This takes TIME.") as well - some people do get faster progress there, even if it's not the case for most people (unless they overestimate their progress). Is it worth priming them to expect that they won't get fast progress? - consider for example someone with a well-develop imagination and the right "skills" could get results much faster than someone starting from nothing.

Some other assumptions like "Your Tulpa will know everything about you and there is no way to lie to your Tulpa or it to you." may also be false for some people - I can think of at least a few who keep secrets from each other (especially those that can switch).

"She will know what's going on in your life because you will both share the same memory." while a shared memory pool is not uncommon, it's not an absolute truth that all tulpas obey.

A good deal of the assumptions there are *should*'s not *is*'s, that is, things that should be, not genuine limitations on how a tulpa could function - while it may not be an ideal situation, keeping secrets or even a lie or two is not something impossible, unless you do your best to make it impossible (for either host or tulpa) - trust is something that should be earned - just like a relationship is something to be developed, not something to be served on a silver platter.

Some of these assumptions may even be a bit incompatible with the black box model you presented earlier, and don't match the experiences of some people (but could very well match the experiences of people who made a tulpa while expecting them to be absolute truths).

BTW... I have to say "Raina speaks to me using binaural beats. It's a system of communication we've developed while forcing." sounds pretty impressive!

tl;dr: Decent general-purpose guide, approved, however I wish more caution would be exercised with the assumptions made in the guide and more thinking done on how it will affect the tulpa and their development.