A Starting Imposition Guide

QContrary

Question

Last night, my host (M) and I were talking about imposition. Specifically, we were curious as to why some people have issues with being able to do it, when it seems easy to us. I've had my form for about 4 years now, and I've been able to be imposed since then, making myself seen in the environment. And I think we found the source of the problem: people may have the wrong expectations of what imposition is like. So we came up with a two step process.

Step one is M's idea. He suggests picturing in the center of your room a mailbox. Look at the mailbox and pay attention to it's details. Move around it to see if from different angles, act like you're interacting with it and have it react accordingly. What you're doing here is spatial visualization, and it's something that people tend to do without thinking about it. For example, if you're planning on moving furniture, then you try and visualize where it will be, how it will look, if it will fit there, and so on. If you're moving food from one container to another, you try and visualize that volume of food to see if it will fit in the other container before you dump it in. M's theory is that imposing works on the same principle. The point of visualizing the mailbox is to prove to yourself that you're capable of spatial visualization.

Step two is my idea. When I thought about how I'm imposed, I realized it's because I'm the one making myself noticed. I'm imposed because I want to be seen. So my theory is, and this is important, I think that imposition is done by the tulpa, not the host. Step two is for the tulpa to visualize themselves in the environment. The tulpa should be moving around, interacting with things, etc. The host shouldn't be playing any role in this. The same spatial visualization is at play here, so you should be able to see your tulpa with the same clarity as you saw the mailbox. They won't appear completely solid or obscure anything, but they'll still be imposed.

And that's all there is to it.

See, at it's core, I think imposition is very, very simple. People essentially have two types of vision: physical vision, coming from the light that's sent through our eyes to our brains, and mental vision, which is pure visualization. Spatial visualization, like in the mailbox example, is overlaying that mental vision over physical vision. When your tulpa uses spatial visualization to overlay themselves over your physical vision, you'll be able to see them. Not with your eyes, but with your mind. And that's imposition.

Now, this doesn't get into tricking your eyes into thinking they're there. Since it's a mix of your physical and mental vision, you'll be able to see through them. As I said, you'll see them with more or less the same clarity that you saw the mailbox. Your ability to see your tulpa more vividly or more solidly depends on your skill in spatial visualization, which can be trained. Having your tulpa being imposed, though, is simple, and I think one of the first things you can do after they have sentience and a form. It may not be the end goal you're hoping for, but it's a start. And speaking from experience, even a weak imposition is better than no imposition. I've found it very helpful for me to be able to "step out" and be "seen."

How far you want to take it is up to you, but starting imposition is the easy part.

Stranger in a strange land.

• Answers 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I realized it's because I'm the one making myself noticed.

Maybe I'm a bit too picky on details. But does the tulpa try to get noticed during imposition sessions? Or do you suggest she tries to grab my attention at every moment in the day? Because the latter would be annoying as balls. Oh, and should I be walking around her and examining her like I did the mail box? Interacting with? God I haven't been this chocked full of questions since we started creation...

[um, sorry if I'm being like G. Do you mean I have to want to be imposed? As in say to myself ''I wanna be a real pony!'' or something a tinchy bit more serious XD.

I've never really been the super active type to be honest either, so I just move around mess with things? That's cool I guess. Think imposition, get noticed.]

Pruria Joal (Pegasus)

Working on: Imposition

Hieldy (Moogle)

Working on: Possession/imposition

Samantha (Griffon)

Working on: Deafness/form

And please, call me G.

I think that imposition is done by the tulpa, not the host.

I didn't thoroughly read this guide yet, just skimmed it, and I'm not sure about this statement.

Moon_Shooter claims that he could impose before he had tulpas. It would also make sense for it to not be a tulpa-related skill, since, once you can impose your tulpa both actively and passively, I'd assume you'd also be able to impose objects.

He also said that this is a cone skill and that if you can impose one tulpa, you can impose 3 as well, you don't have to individually go through the same process again and again like you'd have to do with possession. Anyone who can confirm this?

Yes, I'm not really a fan of how she worded it. However, I don't believe that she meant it exactly as it sounds. I don't think she's suggesting that imposition can only be done by tulpas, but rather that it can (at least mostly) be done by them. Of course, I don't know the validity of that statement either, but I don't think it impossible.

I don't think she would disagree with the fact that you can "impose" without a tulpa.

"If this can be avoided, it should. If it can't, then it would be better if it could be. If it happened and you're thinking back to it, try and think back further. Try not to avoid it with your mind. If any of this is possible, it may be helpful. If not, it won't be."

Obviously a host can impose any object or scene they like. However, Mary's method for tulpa imposition is for the tulpas to manage imposing themselves. I can see this having a couple advantages. For one thing, it gives the tulpa clearer independence and less chance of being influenced by the host's thoughts. For another, if they're managing it they can make it work even if the host is absorbed in something that would normally take enough of their focus that imposed stuff might fade.

It does however require a very independent tulpa.

Lyra: human female, ~17

Evan: boy, ~14, was an Eevee

Anera: anime-style girl, ~12; Lyra made her

My blog :: Time expectations are bad (forcing time targets are good though)

Yeah, I didn't think so either Kiahdaj, just making sure. Also, if anybody who can impose would be able to confirm Moon's statement of imposition being a cone skill, that'd be nice.

Regarding the method - I like it, getting your tulpa to help you impose is good, involving your tuppers in your activities is very important imo, regardless of whether it's forcing or watching tv or clipping your nails. If you know how to involve them - do it. I'd test this guide but unfortunately my visualization isn't good enough yet for my tulpas to be able to work with it.

I don't really agree with this. You seem to be saying that imposition is actually the tulpa making themselves noticed in your mind's eye as being in a certain location, but not actually in your physical vision. This is semantic, and imposition is already defined. People that actually get imposition done literally hear and see their tulpa with their physical eyes and ears.

With your definition, many people trying imposition may already have it done, but what this forum means by "imposition" is something different - picking up on the tulpa with the senses, not only inside your mind.

I'm surprised that others seem to agree with this other definition of imposition... People here defined imposition as a sort of, "forced hallucination" (if you don't follow the metaphysical theory of the tulpa being a being like that)

My lip hurts.

Damnit I wrote a post about this and it didn't get posted. To summarize what I wanted to say after giving the guide a proper reading:

Don't treat any technique as a simple thing while writing a guide, first of all. Saying "imposition is simple" will discourage people who are bad at visualizing or imposition in general. That's not the correct approach for a guide. Second, when writing a guide, make sure you are sure what you're talking about. If something is surprisingly easy, you may want to double-check things (without leaving room for semantical misunderstandings) before thinking you've done something others take months to do in a matter of minutes or hours without much trouble. People don't say imposition is hard for nothing.

Which leads me to my third point. Know what you're talking about. You say that we see with our eyes, and visualize with our mind, implying that those are handled by two separate areas from the brain, while, in fact, the information you receive through your eyes is "rendered" through the visual cortex, which is also where visualizations originate from (this is what I know, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). You don't "overlay" things while imposing, you make an imposed tulpa indistinguishable from a physical being.

Also, you said "imposing is easy", but you do realize that there is more than just one sense to impose, don't you?

I believe you should revise your guide and method, and also start wondering whether what you're doing is actually imposition.