Daniel's Tulpa Progress Log

CyberD

Who am I?

I'm Daniel, a 23 year old who happened to stumble across idea of Tulpa back in May 2012. My introduction to tulpa began with a different name and a slightly different purpose. Through looking up information about lucid dreaming and experiencing just a little success I came across a technique known as Character Assisted Lucid Dreaming. CALD involved creating a character and then building it with the intent of seeing them during a dream. The characters presence or actions within the dream would bring you to lucidity. Discovering Tulpa much later I realized the character I had created could be defined as such. Though my goal had never been to create a sentient character I believe I ended up with one.

Who is my Tulpa?

Noah is my tulpa. He is a 13-14 year old boy who takes the appearance of a rather normal looking human. When I created him on the 16th of May 2012 I began by taking an idea from a short story I never ended up writing. The main character was a young teenage boy. The character's personality was barely developed and he had no back story so it became the perfect shell. Ditching the character's appearance I wasn't sure what I wanted Noah to look like. I tried many ideas ranging from traditional clothing to space age battlesuits but none of them really fit. Noah spent maybe an hour or two changing his appearance as we tried to come up with something we both liked. Seeing no reason not to I went looking for inspiration and it came much sooner than I thought. I found a picture of a family in a catalogue (advertisement) I'd picked out of the mailbox that morning. Behind this family showcasing various winter fashions there was a boy who looked to be about fourteen. Noah took this boy's appearance and it stuck. Brown hair, brown eyes, a green fleece jacket and a cheerful grin.

Since I no longer had to worry about his appearance all of my attention was focused on his personality. I let him develop on his own and before long parroting was a thing of the past. After a few weeks I experienced my first lucid dream containing him thus achieving success with the CALD technique. After that I continued to build Noah and my focus leading me to where I am now.

For the sake of anyone looking over the whole thread I should say that when we began Noah was known to me almost exclusively as Nova. Noah was the "normal" and "more human" variant of his name. As time went on we began using Noah more and Nova less until eventually the name Noah stuck. This progress log is a good reflection of how his name has changed. While I have updated this post everything beyond here remains the same, just know that while reading it Nova and Noah are the same tulpa, just by a different name.

Noah was created with several traits and “powers” that have persisted over the months. Firstly, his name at the time, is explained by his fire powers. Able to summon fire and manipulate it at will I almost always saw Noah playing with fire in his hands or shooting fireballs around. He doesn't use it as much as he did in the beginning but the visualizations work well and helped him develop quickly. His other powers, which often extend into my dreams, are flight, intangibility and general strength with immortality.

The only personality trait I explicitly gave him during his creation was his helpful demeanor. Seeing no reason to make an unhelpful character I made sure he'd be willing to help. Noah is okay with everything about his existence which takes a great burden off me. (Seeing people fighting or struggling to control their Tulpa seems so unfortunate)

My experience so far

I think my experience is very different to most of those here. Instead of spending hours meditating on the idea of a sentient being inside my head I instead started with a fully functional character. I don't meditate much and don't have much of a “Wonderland” so instead Noah joins me whenever I think of him, no matter where I am. He follows me through my morning routine, he goes to work with me and I try to bring him to focus even when I'm occupied and distracted. While I have never experienced him imposed over reality I have a good grasp on his actions and speech even when I'm focused on something else. I've also met Noah in numerous dreams and have spoken to him there, my dream recall could use work but I can say that seeing him while I dreaming was a great learning experience.

Further Content

My progress log has very much become a discussion of tulpa related topics and how each topic relates to my experience. We make progress through learning and further understanding the different aspects of creating and maintaining a tulpa. I make an effort to make posts at least every few days, often more regularly. Here are some topics that might prove interesting after reading this post if you don't feel up to powering through the whole blog in one sitting.

Noah's appearance:

Noah's original reference image

A more recent reference image. (and tulpa aging)

A discussion on Noah's name

Why Noah is male

Tulpa Creation:

Roleplaying as a method of tulpa creation

The tulpa process:

Concerning doubt

Concerning stability

Concerning drama

Concerning parroting

And finally, don't be afraid to talk to me. If you have questions I might be able to help you and if you don't feel like being a stalker by posting on this thread then send me a PM. I won't bite and feedback is nice too.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Busy day, lots of reading. I went through quite a few progress report threads to get an idea of how other people were handling their tulpa. So if you posted something over the last couple of days I probably read it. What I've noticed is that much like I suspected my experience in creating my tulpa is rather different from the others. My expectations in what Nova and I can achieve also seem to vary from what other people are getting from their own tupla(s). Maybe that will soon change.

Nova began as a rather static and simple character. Different from other Tulpa here he began fully functional, he could talk to me and move about freely. I never had problems getting him to do either of these things and more often than not he did it by himself instead of requiring my parroting. By giving him time and as much attention as I possibly could he took his rather undefined character and built upon it. I still feel a little strange calling him "sentient" but it's rather apparent to me that he is. (At least by the definition of sentient being used to define tulpa around here)

I've also decided to try and build some kind of wonderland. I'm not sure exactly what it's going to involve but at least I'll have Nova to help me out. Maybe he'll be full of ideas. I'm planning on being consistent with it too, by setting aside the same time everyday hopefully I'll get results sooner than later.

So questions for anyone actually reading.

Should I try imposing Nova? Currently I'm putting most of my efforts into further building his personality and separating his consciousness from my own.

Any ideas for what to include in a wonderland?

Also, I got another picture of Nova today. It's not often I get new pictures so it's cool to have something new to help visualize him with.

>Should I try imposing Nova?

Yes, I highly suggest this. Your wonderland may be some sort of infinite adventure or whatever, but they aren't going to feel like a truly independent person until they can walk in the real world, sit by the same lakes, and feel the same ground beneath their feet that everyone else does. (This varies, of course, every tulpa is different, just like every human is, but QB really stresses this sort of thing and I agree.)

The above post does not contain facts.

q2's the host, QB's the tulpa.

>Should I try imposing Nova?

Yes, I highly suggest this. Your wonderland may be some sort of infinite adventure or whatever, but they aren't going to feel like a truly independent person until they can walk in the real world, sit by the same lakes, and feel the same ground beneath their feet that everyone else does. (This varies, of course, every tulpa is different, just like every human is, but QB really stresses this sort of thing and I agree.)

Thanks for replying. Reading Irish's and FAQman's creation guides once again I realize how drastically I've done everything out of order. I essentially have a sentience with a form that I can see only with my minds eye. He has absolutely no presence in the physically world. Until stumbling across Tulpa we actually strived for the opposite, to keep him in my mind and nothing more.

Time for that to change, I can't make any progress here if I keep him locked up.

So I decided to create a wonderland. I found that by creating one and using it I am able to concentrate better than I do without one. I figure there are two ways to use the wonderland.

The first would be to adventure, using it to build Nova's personality by going exploring and building it. Giving him a goal really makes him talkative and focused.

The second way I think I can use the wonderland is to help with imposition. I'll start with the visualization section of FAQman's guide, I know Nova already has a form (which is advised against in a typical scenario) but learning and visualizing every tiny detail of Nova seems to be the best step for me. If I'm lucky it won't take all that long since I already have a very good idea of what Nova looks like. Still, I won't be cutting corners, no point taking any shortcuts.

Right now I'm not counting hours, I'll test my focus while using the wonderland and see how long my sessions average.

Always something going on but never what I expect it to be. Last night for the first time ever the idea of tulpa appeared in one of my dreams. I remember something out of my dreams every night and I think it's a good way to figure out what my subconscious is thinking, if sometimes it is very unclear. Of course, not all dreams can be interpreted and trying to interpret another persons dreams is usually a really bad idea. Since dreaming might not interest anyone here at all I'll just put all the stuff in a spoiler tag at the end.

I made time for two sessions of visualization. The first was almost an hour and the second was just over an hour long. Not that time is really important, without a clock I would have trouble guessing how long the sessions were. Having a sentient character that can move around on his own might make visualization more difficult than it is for someone with a non-sentient character. I wouldn't say it was a waste of time though, I've never seen Nova's eyes in so much detail. I've also never noticed him blink but when I pay attention it seems so normal.

We also worked on the wonderland a bit. It isn't very detailed yet but it's taking the form of a small spaceship. The bridge (control room) is a very simple room and the front half of it is all made of glass. This means I get a great picture of all the stars. Since the floor is made of glass you can lie down surrounded by stars. Since it's pretty dark and not visually intense it helps me focus more than staring at the ceiling in my bedroom.

In my dreams I'm always very passive. I should question strange things more often, that's what lucid living is for.

In the dream I come across a shop. It's called "Tulpa's World". It's a small white store with thick rollers covering the windows. It looks like it may have closed down but I decide to try anyway. I knock on the door several times and eventually a lady in her mid forties comes out. The only thing I remember her saying was a bit of advice, I'm probably paraphrasing. "You need to give Nova a part of your brain, he needs something to work with. If you are so busy using the logical side then why don't you give him your creativity."

I guess that translates as left/right hemisphere. Since the advice came from a dream I can hardly use it, doesn't make it any less interesting.

Walking home from the store I stop. "There is no way a place like that could actually exist." I think to myself. I become lucid just in time to wake up.

So I was playing a videogame and I had one of those moments where you realize something you should have noticed ages ago. Nova decided to be rather clingy, well not so much clingy as trying to get more involved than usual. Getting right up next to me so he could see the screen he quickly proved how wrong my approach had been towards him when I was busy (like when I play games)

He decided to commentate what I was doing. Usually narration works the other way around. You tell the tulpa what you are doing, what you've been doing etc. Suddenly I'm thrown through a loop when he began doing all the talking and I began doing all the listening. It was a great change of pace and I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner. I think this approach could work for other activities as well. Instead of trying to narrate to him, which doesn't work so well for me since I am terrible at keeping focused. I'll get Nova to narrate to me. Not only does it get him more involved but it keeps the focus on him, since he's the one doing the talking and not me. He asks me questions, comments on my choices and sometimes offers advice.

I dunno why I didn't really try this out sooner.

Secondly, I was thinking about the tulpa creation process. One thing really bothers me about it. When a lot of people create a tulpa they say to themselves "This tulpa isn't sentient yet." They then watch it intently until it shows sentience. For me this was not the case, I didn't even think about looking for sentience until I heard about Tulpa (which was only a week ago) Nova probably didn't have it when I started back in May but he's developed it on his own since then.

Comparing it to having a human child (an actual real life one) Do you watch your baby and think "Today it might show it is sentient?" "Is it smart enough to be sentient yet?"

No, you don't. Instead you teach it things and sentience develops on it own with no real focus on the subject.

My point is. Maybe people should focus on teaching their tulpa. Talk to them and get them interacting with things. (objects in the wonderland for example) Don't measure them on their intelligence and don't count hours.

Maybe I should start a discussion thread about that?

Secondly, I was thinking about the tulpa creation process. One thing really bothers me about it. When a lot of people create a tulpa they say to themselves "This tulpa isn't sentient yet." They then watch it intently until it shows sentience. For me this was not the case, I didn't even think about looking for sentience until I heard about Tulpa (which was only a week ago) Nova probably didn't have it when I started back in May but he's developed it on his own since then.

Comparing it to having a human child (an actual real life one) Do you watch your baby and think "Today it might show it is sentient?" "Is it smart enough to be sentient yet?"

No, you don't. Instead you teach it things and sentience develops on it own with no real focus on the subject.

My point is. Maybe people should focus on teaching their tulpa. Talk to them and get them interacting with things. (objects in the wonderland for example) Don't measure them on their intelligence and don't count hours.

I couldn't agree more. Coming into this from a (somewhat) similar background, the thought that my tulpae might be sentient never crossed my mind before finding this site. They still became sentient without my knowledge anyway.

While I don't believe tulpae are sentient right from the very beginning, I do believe they should still be treated as such, because sentience is going to start developing quickly. People shouldn't have to wonder if a tulpa is or isn't sentient yet because that's going to start happening early on.

I come out of hibernation once in a blue moon.

They/them pronouns, please. (I've been using this display name since 2012 and people won't recognize me if I change it.)

Hi Fennec. Thanks for reading. Definitely, a tulpa isn't going to be sentient as soon as you think of them. Treating them as such however really speeds up the process.

I guess to some we might sound kind of silly, taking our situations out of context. "I think I may have accidentally created a sentient character without even realizing it."

Still, if we can do that accidentally then what is possible if we try. That's why I enjoy the idea of tulpa, so much to learn.

Currently, like many people no doubt I'm having a bit of a bad spot in concentration. The tulpa technique is certainly interesting but it requires a lot of creative input from the user to make it from start to finish. People get bored, they get distracted and tulpa are ignored too often for it.

It'd be great if there were more creative ways to interact with the tulpa. The other day we did the prism test seen in the article section (Here) and had a bit of fun with it. It helped with concentration a lot but it really was a bit too easy. Before long Nova grew bored of it and began interacting with the prism while the feather was still seesawing. I'm glad we passed the test easily but it created a desire for more "exercises" like it. More difficult and more challenging ones.

Despite having a day of poor concentration it ended on an interesting note. By that I mean more lucid dreams. I don't recall ever having two in one night before. Not they were particularly good ones but Nova did appear in both. I often dream I am back at high school (like a lot of people do) and given Nova is that age he fits right into the cast of other dream characters. Wearing a cheeky grin when the teacher brought him into the room we both understood what was going on. It was a dream. We immediately ditched class and went on adventure.

I'm glad I came into this technique from lucid dreaming. Not only do I get to learn about dreaming but I also get to create a tulpa who joins me more often than not. The techniques compliment each other well.

Question time:

Are there any exercises that the creator and tulpa can do to improve concentration, focus or visualization skills?

Or do we have to come up with some ourselves? That might be interesting but it'd be some work to come up with some good ones.

Hi Leijona, I was wondering when we'd see you here :D

I've actually read all of those pages before, but not to worry. The concentration and visualization exercises are ones I might try by setting some time aside. Maybe I'll get results, maybe I won't.

The other two are much simpler but they were a bit of fun. Nova surprised me by being quite random, he made a balloon dog. Something I've never made before and certainly something he's never had anything to do with.

The staring exercise was just awkward. Because he knew right away why I was doing it he just gave me a cold/blank expression as to say "Really, you think you'll get something out of this."

Today thought I have to go to work. It's more interesting than it used to be because it is several hours I am stuck doing things I don't want to be doing. So, it means several potential hours spent working on Nova. Today I'm going to try a little exercise that I hope will help with persistence. I dunno how it'll go but I won't know until I try.

I've given Nova a small white orb. It's smooth and it's about the size of a small football (soccer if you prefer) It intentionally has no detail and it's not transparent. What Nova has to do is hold onto it until I finish work. It can't be out of sight and putting it is a bad thing.

When I finish I'm going to get Nova to tell me what the orb means. Does it represent something? Maybe there is something inside? It's basically the surprise me exercise but one that he has several hours to work on.

If he has any questions about the orb I'll answer them but I don't know what it means so that's for him to come up with.

I've never given Nova something "physical" to work on before, at least not for an extended period. Maybe this exercise will capture his attention for an extended period and in turn mine.