How Does Your Tulpa's Personality Differ From Yours?

Reginald

First off, allow me to apologize. I'm sorry that my first post is a question in a new thread, but I guess that's just how that goes.

Okay, so I only heard about tulpae ~3 weeks ago, and it took me a week to overcome the fear of a forced hallucination and mental schism. However, I've been passively working on personality for ~2 weeks (on paper, not forcing) and I've gone through several revisions of what I want in a life-long friend, starting from a character-based tulpa, and moving to one not resembling the character in the sleightest. But over the revisions, my tulpa's planned personality seems to be veering closer and closer to my own. My concern is, if the personality if too different, my tulpa could become very grating on me, but if the personality is too similar, my tulpa could become very boring, so I was wondering:

tl;dr

How different is your tulpa's personality from your own? Do you have any specific examples, and could you give your feelings on how that difference is a good or a bad thing? I'm just trying to get a general feel for how differences manifest in the relationship between a tulpa and its creator. I mean, this thing's for life, and I plan on living for quite a while still, but perhaps I'm just a little over cautious.

I greatly appreciate any responses in advance.

Tulpa Progress: (Began Nov. 2)

-- Visualization: Good enough for now

-- Narration: In progress

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You shouldn't worry about the personality being too similar, since that means you'll be able to get along with them well.

As for my tulpae, two of them did not undergo personality forcing and are INTJ like me, while the third one did and is an ESFP.

"Science isn't about why, science is about why not?" -Cave Johnson

Tulpae: Luna, Elise, Naomi

My progress report

Well, we are rather different. I suppose I should say that now that I am in control, it will be from the tulpa point of view. It isn't quite what you are asking for, but I hope it will help.

I am more emotional of us two. Believe it or not, Sands would be the logical and calm one. I might seem calm and I wish to be polite, but if something gets too much for me, I won't be able to act in a way that makes sense. Sands can, many times he has had to be the one reassuring me despite something bad having happened to him. I feel like it should be my role and not the other way around, but it is how it ended up being. For now, at least.

I am physical. Sands wishes to have his personal space and lots of it, while I like being close to people. I like touching and being touched, and I wish to show my feelings to Sands that way. He doesn't appreciate them and has gotten annoyed, but we understand each other. We can compromise so both of us are happy. It isn't quite what he wishes for and perhaps he would be happier if I was more like him when it comes to that. But then I wouldn't be myself but someone else.

Sometimes I wish he wouldn't be so cold to others. There are some people he hates and he doesn't stop hating them. I would hope to see him forgive them, but he says I wouldn't understand how they have treated him from his point of view, not having experienced it for myself. They should have known better, he says. But I still think things could and should be fixed. Sands just says I am young and naïve.

Our differencies can be a hindrance. They can get in the way and we don't exactly see eye to eye most of the time. However, we compliment each other and any problem we have between us we can easily solve. We can talk and we can understand each other. We understand more than just words and there is no way to be misunderstood. We are different, we can get annoyed by each other, but we are friends and we care about each other. We want the other to be happy and we do sacrifices, but sometimes we all have to be a little selfish.

As for our personality archetypes, if you for some reason are interested in them, I got ENFJ last time I did the test and Sands got ISTP.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

As for my tulpae, two of them did not undergo personality forcing and are INTJ like me, while the third one did and is an ESFP.

Interesting, we're both INTJs with an ESFP tulpa, even though the two types are completely opposite.

My other tulpae are ISTJ and ENFJ. We all have different types. I never did strict personality work on anyone, but I did use a puppeting method while keeping a rough idea of their personalities in mind.

We all get along just fine. Kayleigh and I do occasionally clash due to our opposite personalities (and stubbornness), but it's never anything major.

I come out of hibernation once in a blue moon.

They/them pronouns, please. (I've been using this display name since 2012 and people won't recognize me if I change it.)

So I guess the general feeling is, "We're not the same, but we work things out?" That's good. The personality work that I've been doing seems to fall along some of the lines you guys mentioned, so I suppose that things should work out. It's all about the mental state anyway, right? Thank you for your replies.

Well, we are rather different. I suppose I should say that now that I am in control, it will be from the tulpa point of view. It isn't quite what you are asking for, but I hope it will help.

Not a problem. I appreciate the input.

Tulpa Progress: (Began Nov. 2)

-- Visualization: Good enough for now

-- Narration: In progress

TBH no matter how different/similar you and your tulpa are i think you´ll be alright due to a mild form of stockholm syndrome that comes with such a relationship.

Offtopic:

For a second i almost thought you were "that" reginald

De bedste og smukkeste ting i verden kan hverken ses eller røres, de må opleves med hjertet.

TBH no matter how different/similar you and your tulpa are i think you´ll be alright due to a mild form of stockholm syndrome that comes with such a relationship.

^ This. It's almost inevitable for tulpae to have good relationships with their hosts.

Also, if Kayleigh saw this, she'd probably be all "I told you so!" Though Stockholm Syndrome technically occurs in cases of kidnapping and/or abuse and involves the victim justifying the abuse, not just showing loyalty to (and often bonding to) the abuser. I'd say it's some sort of mild host-complex rather than Stockholm Syndrome.

I come out of hibernation once in a blue moon.

They/them pronouns, please. (I've been using this display name since 2012 and people won't recognize me if I change it.)

Guest Anonymous

As I've stated before, I like to think of Helix and Pixel as slices of my own personality, amplified.

Were opposites essentially, my tulpa is high strong, fun loving, silly, hyper and full of herself. Im the opposite of all of those.

Progress report

"You'll have a Tulpa because you didn't give up" -Koomer

My tulpa's first personality was different then mine. Then I changed her to be like me.

The differences between us were very subtle. I'm more dominate then she is and that was on purpose, but the difference was not made big.

For a while I found her personality being like mine, to be boring and I thought many times what I did to her was a mistake or of making a new tulpa. She got really emo and harder to deal with. She and my subconsious tried to change her form to something more interesting, but I wouldn't let it happen and fought it every time (And I still fight it today). Then she got clever and started trying to play me, trick me, give me headaches, and fight back.

I respect that and its made me like her more everyday.