Tips for those who are getting "parrotnoid".

OldDrunkBastard

Question

By parrotnoid, I mean thinking that you're parroting your tulpa when you're actually not, and that nerve-wracking feeling you get when your tulpa's reply feels like you created it a split second before hearing it, and you're scared to death and you's is like "Err mah gerd, Ah'm gonnuh create a serviter!". Well, I made this guide because I had the same problem, and it seems to be pretty prevalent here at Tulpa.info, so I guess I'll take a crack at it, and address some of the top concerns I've seen.

- "It feels like I always know what he/she is going to say": That's because you know your tulpa. It's like when you know a friend and their personality really well, and you have a general idea as to what they'll say in reply to something you say. This is even more so with a tulpa, because you know their exact personalities. Expectation is not parroting.

- "I'm scared that I'm parroting.": K, 9/10 times, if you're worried that you're parroting, you're probably not. Parroting is a 100% deliberate process, that can only be done by fully conscious action. As far as I know, there's no such thing as "sub-conscious parroting".

- "I feel as if I'm creating their reply a split second before I hear it.": Well, that's not you creating it. In the early days of tulpaforcing, this is normal. It's simply your mind and your tulpa computing, taking what they know of the tulpa's personality, and plugging that in to figure out how they'll reply. This will be conquered in time, fret not.

- "HELPZ, I'z worried! Am I going to create a servitor?!?!?": No. It's up for debate about the nature of servitors and whether or not they can become full-blown tulpae, but if you're not trying to make a servitor, then you're not. If you're that worried about it, then you've devoted way to much love and affection for your tulpa to ever become a servitor.

"It seems as if the response was theirs, but I hear MY mind voice. Is this parroting?": Nope. All this means is that their vocality isn't finished. If you haven't worked on their vocality much, this is perfectly normal ^_^ You can try speech exercises for this, or just wait for it to develope by itself. Either way, try not to get discouraged by this, as it, like many other obstacles in the path of tulpa creation, will be conquered in time.

Hope this helps anyone with this problem. Questions, comments, concerns, feel free to leave them.

Parrot-001.jpg

Tulpa: Liviana (Colgate)

Form: Pony (My avatar)

Progress: Imposed

• Answers 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

As a general rule for possible-parroting, whenever your tulpa does something you have doubt was entirely their own will, ask yourself "Would my tulpa want to do/say this? Would it hurt to give credit to my tulpa for this?"

Doing that pretty much solved any puppet/parrot problems I might've had almost instantly. I knew my tulpas had to develop and that worrying about if they really did/said something or not was hurting their progress, so I came up with that rule and it worked perfectly. Were Reisen's first words just "I love you"? Would she have anything wrong with me thinking they were? Not remotely so. And it didn't take terribly long before parroting was no longer a concern as their voices developed to a point where I could sort of "feel" them saying things, felt the intention and meaning. I wouldn't have gotten to that point if I were still doubting that they could even talk.

Hi! I'm Lumi, host of Reisen, Tewi, Flandre and Lucilyn.

Everyone deserves to love and be loved. It's human nature.

My tulpas and I have a Q&A thread, which was the first (and largest) of its kind. Feel free to ask us about tulpamancy stuff there.

Guest Anonymous

Were Reisen's first words just "I love you"? Would she have anything wrong with me thinking they were? Not remotely so. And it didn't take terribly long before parroting was no longer a concern as their voices developed to a point where I could sort of "feel" them saying things, felt the intention and meaning. I wouldn't have gotten to that point if I were still doubting that they could even talk.

I think Reisen said the same thing I am going to say but just in different words. It is kinda the same thing.

Puppeting and parroting! OMG! I realize why this is an issue for peeps and why they talk about it here. I don't know if it is right to tell my story when things like this come up. People take it as me trying to be pretentious and superior. But, I hope maybe it will help someone who is more like Davie and I and looking for answers.

Parroting and puppeting? Who cares?

Before David and I found Tulpa Info, we had no idea there was such a thing as "parroting" or that it is supposed to be bad. We still don't care. Meh. In fact, it seems a very silly thing to worry about. We have always operated the same way for decades. He calls me "Miss Sock Puppet" sometimes. Other times he can't get me to shut up and he gets frantic because I won't be quiet and let him sleep. So go fig. I can't help it, I get excited and wanna talk.

Like this morning at about 2:30am. I had some things I wanted to say on the forum and I woke him up. So, we got on the keyboard and he typed what he feels I want to say and hears my voice when he types, like we are sorta collaborating-merging, like right now. Exactly right now we are doing it again. Parroting? Role playing? Maybe. We don't know and quite frankly, we don't really care.

I think honestly that is my answer to "parrotnoia" is to say stop worryin bout it. If it's your tulpa talking, its your tulpa talking. David has never once said, in all the years I have been around, "Wait, was that Melian or just me?" It never occurred to us that it mattered. He knows I am him. I mean... *sigh*. It doesn't matter! He has always known I am driven by imagination at my core. HIS imagination.

Because of that we are immune to the fear of doubt, and things like parrotnoia. We just enjoy being together. We don't care what anyone else thinks of it. That doesn't matter either. We enjoy meeting so many other headmate peoples and people sorta like Davie. I like talking to people on the internet so much! But we are so not worried bout all these things that seem to give people anxiety.

OH btw, this is what I woke Davie up for, at 2:30am, so I could write it. https://community.tulpa.info/thread-is-socializing-and-having-fun-detrimental-to-the-core-purpose-of-this-site

I have a question.

So, I'm new to creating tulpae, and just started creating my first one. His name is Jack, and I'm rather impressed by my own progress with wonderland immersion and visualization as well as his own development thus far on various things- however, I can't help but feel like I'm parroting.

Granted, I've only just started 3-4 days ago, however whenever he responds to a question I ask or something of the like, it feels like, somewhere in the back of my mind, I'm trying to think of a response, and not him. It's sort of like I'm trying to think of a response for him, and it feels like sort of artificial. Obviously, I do believe he sentient on some level as he can move on his own if I focus with him hard enough, but I'm not sure if he's speaking, or me simply wanting him to speak and imagining it.

However he is using his own voice I imagined for him and not mine, I can't get away from this. Any explanation or tips that could help at all?

Just me and Jack, taking walks in our wonderland~

1 tulpa: Jack, in development

"Whatever we plant in our subconscious mind and nourish with repitition and emotion will one day become a reality" - Earl Nightingale

Here's a tip, give it time.

Assuming sentience from the start is not about believing your tulpa sentient/sapient when they aren't. It's about interacting with them as if they are. This is a basic yet effective strategy for forcing, that allows them to grow quickly early on.

Edit:

(1) If belief does anything, it is getting your subconscious to do work for you. Here's the secret. Whatever you invest emotion into, your subconscious listens to. If you worry about parroting, your subconscious is going to focus on that. This is not useful. If, you get excited about your tulpa, your subconscious is going to focus on that. This is very useful. It is the emotion, not the belief that matters.

(2) Your subconscious is in the process of internalising the processes that will make up your tulpa's core. You are peeking in on these forming processes. This is much easier when you can't see them, as this convinces the person these processes are alien. But you can see them. Because of psychology, you witness something inside yourself and automatically feel like it is you. Just how the mind works. This is both true and false at such an early stage.

Host comments in italics. Tulpa's log. Tulpa's guide.

Here's a tip, give it time.

Assuming sentience from the start is not about believing your tulpa sentient/sapient when they aren't. It's about interacting with them as if they are. This is a basic yet effective strategy for forcing, that allows them to grow quickly early on.

Edit:

(1) If belief does anything, it is getting your subconscious to do work for you. Here's the secret. Whatever you invest emotion into, your subconscious listens to. If you worry about parroting, your subconscious is going to focus on that. This is not useful. If, you get excited about your tulpa, your subconscious is going to focus on that. This is very useful. It is the emotion, not the belief that matters.

(2) Your subconscious is in the process of internalising the processes that will make up your tulpa's core. You are peeking in on these forming processes. This is much easier when you can't see them, as this convinces the person these processes are alien. But you can see them. Because of psychology, you witness something inside yourself and automatically feel like it is you. Just how the mind works. This is both true and false at such an early stage.

This actually helped quite a bit, thank you! I'll be sure to remember that next time I start worrying. Also a little off topic, but how much time does it usually take? I don't want it to take months and lose my drive because I feel like it's not happening, even if it is.

"Whatever we plant in our subconscious mind and nourish with repitition and emotion will one day become a reality" - Earl Nightingale

It may take months. I don't think anyone here can reassure you that it won't. Some things may take weeks, months or years, and if you really care about creating the tulpa, you'll just have to accept that and keep going, even when it seems like nothing is improving. Improvement can sometimes be in leaps, but most of the time it's tiny steps.

Don't give up, even if it takes months. This isn't a hobby.

pr // discord: Heckhound#6112

It may take months. I don't think anyone here can reassure you that it won't. Some things may take weeks, months or years, and if you really care about creating the tulpa, you'll just have to accept that and keep going, even when it seems like nothing is improving. Improvement can sometimes be in leaps, but most of the time it's tiny steps.

Don't give up, even if it takes months. This isn't a hobby.

Yeah, I realized that last time I forced. He's starting off his development really quickly, but I'm sure it'll slow down a bit once we start on the more complex subjects of tulpa creation. Thank you for replying though, everyone is super helpful!

- "I feel as if I'm creating their reply a split second before I hear it.": Well, that's not you creating it. In the early days of tulpaforcing, this is normal. It's simply your mind and your tulpa computing, taking what they know of the tulpa's personality, and plugging that in to figure out how they'll reply. This will be conquered in time, fret not.

Is it okay to Proxy my tulpa at this stage?