Research for a story

ani_cat_candy

Should I keep trying to write the story?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Should I keep trying to write the story?

• Yes. Keep working on it.
    • No. You suck.

OK, now to make a properly-formulated response to this topic...

1. Care to share with us how long you've been working with imaginary friends/tulpae? I'm more or less in the same boat as you, just based on what little you've posted. Also, how many tulpae do you have?

2. If you wanted to write a fiction novel on tulpae, that would be fine, though the Research board isn't the best place for getting ideas. Most of what goes on in this part of the forums is scientific research.

That being said, here are my two cents on what I'd like to see:

-Hypothetically, a tulpa is capable of just about anything imaginable as long as it's in your head. Obviously they're no good at manipulating the physical world, unless they do it vicariously through their hosts in some way or another. None of this shit with the popular media where they act more like poltergeists than imaginary friends. Other than that, you could potentially set up some comedy by having the tulpa possess their host and do something hilarious. Your call.

-Other than the aforementioned misconception that tulpae are somehow supernatural beings, it would be useful to somehow address the whole stigma of mental disorders such as MPD/DID or schizophrenia that's associated with tulpae.

-Back when I was writing for Mentaru Shoujo, I had the idea to have a romance arc character that has a tulpa, and the basic plot would have been that their tulpa is initially disdainful of the MC, and he then needs to convince the tulpa that he isn't a bad person somehow, in order to secure the tulpa's blessing for the MC to be with the girl.

BTW, I went ahead and moved this to Tulpa Art for you.

"Science isn't about why, science is about why not?" -Cave Johnson

Tulpae: Luna, Elise, Naomi

My progress report

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for moving it <3 I wasn't really sure where it should go..

I've had imaginary friends/Tulpae for as long as I can remember (I'm 24) and I can't even begin to guess at how many there are. I had no idea what they were or that they were sentient (even though I treated them as such) until recently. There's some that I haven't seen in years that I checked on just a few days ago.. They're doing fine. Happy as can be with all their Tulpa friends.

I'll look up those disorders you mentioned.. I have bipolar and a friend with schizophrenia so I can get info on those easily..

Thank you *gives huggles and cookies to all*

P.S. For those in the USA - Happy Thanksgiving!

You don't win a war by dyeing for your country,

You make them die for theirs

So I say

Kill them all and let God sort 'em out!

Nothing is true, Everything is permitted.

York and Zach's relationship in the video game Deadly Premonition is pretty much what a friendship with a non-imposed tupper is like.

I would recommend it for your research. The game itself is pretty bad, but as interactive narrative, its more than exceptional, despite horrid graphics and animation.

It should be bargain bin price now. It wont cost much and you can suffer through crap gameplay in the name of research.

^It's also Xbox 360 exclusive for the time being, unless you can import the Australian PS3 version, or you can read Japanese and get the Japanese PS3 version instead. It's supposed to be releasing stateside for the PS3 in March, if you can't be arsed to pay $100 or more to import it.

"Science isn't about why, science is about why not?" -Cave Johnson

Tulpae: Luna, Elise, Naomi

My progress report

I don't really have time to contribute to this topic, but I will say that Beyond: Two Souls game is kind of an example of how tulpae are misrepresented in the media. Eiden is a tulpa of the main protagonist that is capable of doing all kinds of freaky supernatural shit like possessing other people or setting things on fire.

It's not misrepresentation as Eiden is never called a tulpa or is portrayed as one. He's more like a creepy version of a guardian angel. We don't know yet but I'm sure he wasn't created in a way similar to what we do. He's a different thing altogether.

Also I don't think making a film or short movie or whatever about tulpas is a good idea. You say you want to portray them how they should be portrayed, yet no one can fully and accurately portray a tulpa. Some more than others, but not enough to write a story about them. We know very little about what actually goes on during the process so trying to write a story that tells everyone what happens and what you could have is no different than the misconceptions in the media.

Unless it's a story thats based off the idea and is your take on the subject, then yeah that's cool, I would read/watch it.

frt

Happens all the time in the fanfics I write <3

I bet it fucking does.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

I do not know if the world is ready for a tulpa-centered story, maybe make a normal story and slowly introduce the main character's tulpa. Like, the main character regularly talks to "no one" and slowly it answers back until its a full fledged character.

I bet it fucking does.

One more question: Why do you have to come off as so fucking rude?

I honestly don't see where this is called for.

So I say

Here's what I have so far. If anyone wants to correct grammar, please feel free as it and spelling are most certainly not my strong suit.

Also feel free to give opinions or suggestions!

~~~~~~~~~~

"Not too shabby!" The small red-head in the back seat took a look out the window to see a lovely estate sitting atop a small hill. The view was quickly blocked by a wall of trees as they turned off the main road and made their way toward the manor. As the car pulled into the circular drive, they were greeted by the warm, smiling faces of the owner's wife who held her youngest child upon her hip and a few servants. The girl stepped from the car after the door was opened for her and looked around as the driver got her things from the trunk. "Thank you." Her voice was small and timid. The man didn't even seem to hear her as he took her things inside.

"Welcome! Welcome! How was the trip, Dear? Not too taxing, I hope?" She smiled to the woman as she came over and gave her a hug with her free arm as the toddler clutched her shirt tightly. "It was alright.. Thank you for having me and.. Everything.." She held her stuffed animal a bit tighter as the woman gave her a sympathetic look, "Don't you worry about it, Dear. We'll take good care of you." She guided the younger lady into the house, "Should you need anything, don't hesitate to ask me or any of the staff. James will be home late and I'll introduce you to the children when they return from school." She motioned to a maid, "Elise will show you to your room."

She thanked the maid before closing the door to her new room and taking a look around. The walls were painted a soft coral that matched most of the drapery and furnishings with light blue and white accents. "A little too girly for my liking, but beggars can't be choosers, right?" She smiled at the figure sprawled across the bed, "Yea.. It could be worse." The boy nodded and propped himself up on an elbow, "You alright, Candy?" "Yea. Just a bit homesick." She responded as she sat on the edge of the large bed, letting the boy wrap his arms around her in a big hug. "Everything will be alright. We'll get through this. I promise."

The sound of a car door closing woke her from her slumber. The boy, Gatto was sitting by the window, enjoying the view. He got up at the sound of the car door and made his way to the bed, sitting on the edge as he ran a hand through Candy's waist length hair. "Feeling any better?" She gave a nod and wiped at her reddened eyes as children could be heard making their way from the front into the foyer below. He smiled softly, feeling bad she'd cried herself to sleep before a soft knock came to the door and a maid poked her head in. "Mrs. Turner would like to see you ma'am." Candy gave her a kind smile, "I'll be there in just a moment. Thank you."

"Candace! There you are. I'd like to introduce you to the children." She winced internally at the overly cheerful voice that greeted her as she made her way down the stairs. "A pleasure to meet y'all, but please, call me Candy?" Mrs. Turner gave her a strange smile, obviously not liking the use of a nickname. "Well, this is Gracie." She gestured to the toddler in her arms. A cute, chubby little thing with blue eyes and strawberry blond hair like her mother's. "Abigail, Andrew, and Thomas." They each smiled or nodded in acknowledgement as their names were given. Abigail looked to be around five or six with long, curly, golden blond hair and green eyes. Andrew was in his early teens with dirty blond hair and blue eyes.

"He's cute." Gatto whispered in her ear as he looked Thomas over, causing her to smile and look away shyly. He was a very tall man looking to be in his twenties with a charming smile, strawberry blond hair and kind green eyes. "Now! Time for homework! All of you!" The children groaned as their mother herded them toward the study, leaving Candy alone with her oldest son. "I'm so sorry to hear what happened." Damn he had a nice voice. "I do hope you will make yourself at home here." She gave him a shy smile and "Thank you" as he kissed the back of her hand. Gatto watched on with wide eyes.

"He's hot, got a damn sexy voice, and knows how to treat a lady? Well I'll be damned. I thought all the real men had died off already." Candy tried to ignore Gatto and not laugh as Thomas gave her a tour of the estate. Unfortunately, Gatto would not be ignored. "He's like an endangered species.. The last of his kind.." He walked around the man, looking closely at him as he rambled on about the history of a piece of artwork hanging in the hallway. "Quick! Take a picture! We're going to need evidence of it's existence!" She couldn't help herself from laughing at the goofy pose Gatto struck, causing Thomas to give her a strange look. "What's so funny?" She tried to compose herself as well as she could, "Nothing.. Nothing.. You were saying?"

So I say

Guest EnnervateIndustries

I apologize for not contributing to your thread, but I am only trying to help.

If possible, please save your updates as Pastebin documents or share the documents via Dropbox or other filesharing systems. The glut of overly large messages will undoubtedly cause posting fatigue of some form.

You also seem...naïve...which could be the reason for the hostility directed towards you. The general response to accusations of naïveté is generally to lapse into a world-weary cynical misanthrope, though.

I wish you luck with your project.