A Thread for Voicing your Opinion on Moderation

Lunanite

In regards to the reports you made, they are not all disregarded; all 203 of them are still in the moderator queue, and Amadeus, Tulpacouple, Glitch, and I, are working out what to do with them, since posts made in the progress report are more like comments in a blog than anything else, and some of the things you reported are also somewhat relevant-on topic, and, well, yeah...

We'll probably be amending the rules to specifically say that, since I guess it was too indirect for people to understand what's allowed in progress report, or after the redesign, we'll remove the progress report system and replace it with user blogs similar to how dreamviews handles it with their dream journels.

Well, I can tell you I have no problem with any of the posts made in my report. Not sure why Jimmy took it upon himself to "Clean up" my progress report, anyway.

My opinions are all subject to change.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

I'm really starting to dislike Forge these days. He barely uses proper grammar, sticks his nose into business that isn't his (He is, as far as I know, still a mod of only Para and Meta), lacks knowledge of the inter community relationships, and seems to get peeved when I use the mod channel for actually discussing moderation. The things that piss me off:

The other day, when in the IRC mod channel arguing/discussing my devoice, I brought up my tulpa's account, which has been used by my tulpas only. Forge then replied with "That's multi accounting, which is bannable" or something of that caliber. To those who aren't well acquainted with the forums, there is an rule that tulpas can have accounts as well, and those are considered separate of the host's. This means that having one isn't considered having a novelty account. But here walks in Forge, a moderator who should represent the community, saying that having an account for my tulpae is a bannable offense. Nice work. Have this.

Do I need to bring up the topic of the fact that he decided to give me a warning (for one hour, I will say, but a warning nonetheless) for making the thread in GD discussing the topic of tulpa death. According to him:

Dear Jimmy

You have received a warning from the staff of Tulpa Forums.

--

please do not use harsh language like this post towards other members. the warn is only for a day, as i dont think its that bad of an infraction, but please keep respect for others in mind when you make your posts. these are the rules i am referencing.

--

1.8.2 Don't be offensive, harass or insult.

1.8.3 Be respectful towards other members.

Let me bring emphasis to his choice of words:

please do not use harsh language like this post towards other members.

Funny, the only swear word used towards another member was this:

"Also, fuck you, Jimmy. Don't use us as your pathetic example." -Link

Which he decided to ignore until I brought it to his attention. Funky. I look forward to him and tracefleeman getting promoted, especially since tracefleeman gave my tulpa's account a warning for reporting about 20 posts.

Jimmy, I think the warning was suitable. You made a thread directly exposing personal issues of one of our members WITHOUT her consent. From what I understand, this isn't the first time this has happened with you. It's just not appropriate. I think that was a GENTLE warning.

By the way, I am acting completely NEUTRALLY. If you noticed, I fiercely defended you in one of your old threads. So I don't want to hear anything about taking sides.

PPS. I have owned, moderated, and co-founded a variety of forums for 10 years so I think I am a pretty good judge of character by now.

I'm Alanna, Domnopalus' host. Dom always speaks in brackets []

Tulpa: Domnopalus ||

Form (I am the artist) || WL: Bald cypress swamp. || Progress Report

Might be a good JUDGE, but overuse of ALL CAPS doesn't mean your POINT will come across BETTER.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)

Lol. Sorry dude--emPHASIS. An old habit--makes me feel like people are listening, lol. I'll tone it down next time.

I'm Alanna, Domnopalus' host. Dom always speaks in brackets []

Tulpa: Domnopalus ||

Form (I am the artist) || WL: Bald cypress swamp. || Progress Report

Guest Anonymous

You made a thread directly exposing personal issues of one of our members WITHOUT her consent.

HOLD UP YOU PERSON OF AFRICAN DESCENT.

Did you not see the part where I said that she talked about it in the IRC days earlier asking for advice. Yussery, that is without her consent, but the thing is that she made it public the moment she chose the nick Sarah or something like that. I don't see how Forge deemed it okay to go and give me a warning for discussing public information.

Are you saying that me discussing things in GENERAL DISCUSSION regarding tulpas using PUBLIC INFORMATION posted on the IRC is bad? You must be out of your mind brotah. She talked about the issue in #tulpa.info, I was unaware of the new information up until when she posted it, and my thread was using public information.

How the hell did I violate a rule?

I has part of a log if you want proof.

From what I understand, this isn't the first time this has happened with you. It's just not appropriate. I think that was a GENTLE warning.

The last time it happened was when I found what a member of the forums looked like and posted his likes and dislikes, not his name or anything. If someone doesn't want this sort of thing to happen, they can always, IdunnohowdoIshotweb, not talk about it publicly.

By the way, I am acting completely NEUTRALLY. If you noticed, I fiercely defended you in one of your old threads. So I don't want to hear anything about taking sides.

Defended? How so? You answered the question, and that was all. Like I said before, if you read my PR, you'd be up to date on my situation with VS (hint: Its good).

PPS. I have owned, moderated, and co-founded a variety of forums for 10 years so I think I am a pretty good judge of character by now.

While I doubt it applies to you: ownership or age =/= enhancement in any related field, automatically at least. I've been on these forums for at least 8 months, yet I still struggle.

Did you not see the part where I said that she talked about it in the IRC days earlier asking for advice. Yussery, that is without her consent, but the thing is that she made it public the moment she chose the nick Sarah or something like that. I don't see how Forge deemed it okay to go and give me a warning for discussing public information.

The last time it happened was when I found what a member of the forums looked like and posted his likes and dislikes, not his name or anything. If someone doesn't want this sort of thing to happen, they can always, IdunnohowdoIshotweb, not talk about it publicly.

One can break the rules of etiquette and the most basic common decency without breaking the law. That is precisely what you did. No, you didn't violate federal cyberstalking laws. But what you did does break the site's rules. See 1.8.3: "Be respectful towards other members." Parading around someone else's deeply personal problem to advance your own agenda is quite disrespectful to that person, whether or not that person has shared their problem publicly.

Forge did not act alone in warning you. The warning followed a discussion in the moderation channel with several other mods, including myself. He was merely the one who ultimately issued the warning.

Actually, fennecgirl was warned first over Link's inappropriate response to your disrespect, and we all agreed that it was unfair to act against her response to how you treated her, but not against you for posting the thread in the first place -- especially after the discussion with you in #tulpa.mods before posting the thread, where you said you understood why you were devoiced. Given that the dispute was apparently resolved satisfactorily in .mods, the argument went, the thread was really made more to rustle jimmies and raise a ruckus than to ask what the rules on something are or report abuse of power.

While I doubt it applies to you: ownership or age =/= enhancement in any related field, automatically at least. I've been on these forums for at least 8 months, yet I still struggle.

Yes. Age isn't everything. Experience and effort are equally important.

Lyra: human female, ~17

Evan: boy, ~14, was an Eevee

Anera: anime-style girl, ~12; Lyra made her

My blog :: Time expectations are bad (forcing time targets are good though)

11:59 JD1215 So uh, any clarification on what Amadeus does in Pleeb's absence?

12:00 Amadeus What do you need done?

12:00 JD1215 The fact there's been an ongoing user-mod war on the forums for a few days is sort of ridiculous.

12:00 Amadeus A few days?

12:00 Amadeus It's been like that for a while.

12:01 JD1215 Well, the past few days it's been at a level where it's blatantly interfering with new member activity.

12:02 JD1215 Fede's rag-tag little group's notions of 'the forum dying' are pretty ridiculous, but if this shit doesn't get sorted out somehow

12:02 JD1215 very few people will want to be on a forum that can't even compose themselves peacefully..

12:04 Amadeus Honestly, it may be dying, but not due to anything Fede's responsible.

12:04 Amadeus for.*

12:05 JD1215 I didn't say Fede was responsible,

12:05 JD1215 but there are problems that /could/ be resolved that will make the forums a more inviting place

12:06 Amadeus No, really though.

12:06 Amadeus The honest truth is that the site's hosting is being screwed with and Pleeb is mostly busy trying to find a new one.

12:07 JD1215 That's really unrelated to the community issues at the moment.

12:08 Amadeus It is. That's just what I meant by that it may be dying.

12:09 JD1215 Well it's not what I meant. It's a sort of catch-22 though, we need hosting or there will be no community. But if the community becomes unstable or stagnant, there will be little point in hosting the site anyways.

12:11 Amadeus Kind of, yeah.

12:12 JD1215 Meanwhile just because Pleeb is looking for new hosting doesn't mean something can't be done about the current moderation team.

12:12 JD1215 Most people have something to nitpick about it, but there are a few common factors that people want to change.

12:13 Amadeus I need to step out for a second, but feel free to keep going.

12:13 JD1215 Generally boiling down to particular moderators, the amount of moderator action in IRC vs the forum, and recently the specifics of the rules.

12:13 JD1215 Although the latter is mostly because of Jimmy, who does everything wrong.

12:13 Amadeus Agreed, most of the time.

12:15 JD1215 My personal gripe is that certain moderators will let emotion drive their actions more-so than their best effort at objective judgement.

12:17 *** Twai quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)

12:17 JD1215 And you know, there's always the deal about "Well if something happened, then post logs in #tulpa.mods"

12:18 JD1215 but nobody sees any results from that really.

12:19 JD1215 I usually find the forum mods to be pretty fair, but even Fede's permaban is pretty harsh.

12:19 JD1215 When someone can't even /look at/ posts on the forum, then I feel like that is just a step over the line concerning something as exclusive as tulpae.

12:24 JD1215 Also Jimmy's post about bad-advice and killing tulpae I felt was a perfectly valid concern, and he shouldn't have been warned for it. (although Froge is usually a pretty good mod, I think sympathy played up the bias here)

12:26 JD1215 And I know Niichan gets in conflicts often usually from letting emotion taking over his modding actions, although I'm not sure if they actually still moderate in the IRC or not because I don't pay attention.

12:39 JD1215 Anyways I guess I'd suggest trying an addendum of the moderator team, rebalancing the amount of moderation action from IRC to forum, and a public session to review the rules and discuss what the community actually wants changed and discuss what the community is actually capable of concerning professionalism.

WTB: Rare Tulpas

I has part of a log if you want proof.

okay so jimmy, i sent you a pm maybe 4 or 5 times discussing with you that you were not warned for that thread at all, but another thread entirely. please stop playing victim.

I knew that V's post was going to be deleted even though he said his opinion about moderating in a thread about voicing your opinion about moderating. Good job, mods.

The THE SUBCONCIOUS ochinchin occultists frt.sys (except Roswell because he doesn't want to be a part of it)