How and why did you choose your tulpa(e)'s name?

Guest Anonymous

Okay so I searched the forums for any thread related to the origins of names, and the only ones I found were only tangentially about origin and focused more on other stuff.

So! Here's this: what's the origin of the name(s) of your headmate(s), your system, and/or your host (if the name they go by is different from the body)?

Here are our answers/explanations

Me

[hidden]

It's no secret that our original (my creator) had a big Paul McCartney obsession. Throughout the entire first half of high school, Paul McCartney's music was the one thing that helped them cope and comforted them. They also had two characters who were, um, made to look like Paul McCartney, since it was a story where you could create people and have their look be based off real/fictional people (kinda like tulpas?), and due to ""coincidence"" they were both Paul McCartney, one was named Paul and the other was named HJP (Hey Jude Paul, because he looked like Paul McCartney in

video - he'd always been known as HJP since he was first introduced).

So, naturally, when our original set out to make a tulpa, they thought it would be easy to make one look like/have the same name as Paul McCartney, but not be based on him personality-wise and not have anything to do with the character Paul. This is all kind of embarrassing stuff for us to talk about lol, but it happened.

Anyway, turned out Paul and HJP were sentient. And well, having two tulpas named Paul, technically three, was bound to be confusing, so the original tried to think of a name new for me (because there was no way Paul was going to change his, being much older than baby me).

My creator always liked to think of me as the "sunshine" of their life, or other sun- or fire-related analogies they could think of. One place they looked for inspiration for a new name for me were other psuedonyms Paul McCartney used in his life-- one of those being Apollo. They didn't like the name Apollo, but I certainly did, it just seemed to fit perfectly. Then that became my name, after some time adjusting to it. I'd also changed my form to better match it, and that was the start of the fire wings and orangey yellow eyes.

I also sort of have a middle name which I don't use for anything but our many bots with Tupperware on Discord, that being Fire, after my fire wings.[/hidden]

Piano

[hidden]

Okay, so when Paul and HJP were finally accepted into the system, they didn't adjust well and had a lot of issues. They thought they would solve those issues by merging. I'm sure people know that story by now, I think. The obvious question became what the name of their merged self would be (because they didn't want it to be Paul). The merged name had to start with a P, and had to fit well with the rest of the names in the system.

The original was at a total loss, and couldn't find a good enough name that they liked at all. The closest they could get to a good enough name was Pollux, but that sounds like a British swear word. Frustrated, they randomly had an idea: what if they just listened to a song and tried to get a name from it? The song they listened to was

, a medley, in which the word "piano" was mentioned. It started with a P, went well with my name, and seemed to fit them well, it was perfect! Then they became Piano. Of course, the actual tulpa Piano was formed inside the merge, and kept the name when it split, all that. His middle name "Soul" which is also only used for Tupperware was from a David Bowie
, and also because it sort of references Paul and HJP, in a way I'm not going to explain, heh.

[/hidden]

Indigo

[hidden]

When Indigo was made (by someone other than the host), it was pretty clear that our system had an accidental naming pattern of 1-2-"o". A list was created of names that he could pick from that fit this pattern, since the pattern was important to us, I dunno. One source mentioned the name "Inigo," so he had the idea to add "Indigo" to the list. For a while, the tuplet that was soon-to-be Indigo seemed to like the names "Toshiro" or "Tiro" but his creator said nay, young one, those are too weeby for us (plus Tiro didn't fit the pattern). Eventually, while sitting in computer science class, the tuplet chose the name Indigo and created his baby dragon form, since it fit his blossoming personality quite nicely, more so than the name his creator wanted him to have, "Espiro," lol. His middle name Blue is just another color because he thought that would be funny.

[/hidden]

System name "Felight"

[hidden]

This also has to do with Paul and HJP. When the original was about 12 or so, they wanted to think of a last name for the family that Paul and HJP were a part of (Paul was created into the family, HJP was adopted as Paul's Permanee brother). They wanted it to have the word "Light" in it in someway, so they thought over many different options. I remember specifically they were at one of those plant nurseries when they thought it over and came up with "Felight" as a combination of "feline" (since Paul and HJP were kind of "catlike" in their personalities) and "light." 

Fast forward to us wanting to come up with a system name, we thought over things like "Galaxy" or whatever, but couldn't settle on anything we liked. We remembered the name Felight, and decided to use that as our system name, partially because it just sounded really good with all of our names (since we use it like a surname), and partially to honor Paul and HJP. Felight is a very important name to us and we identify with it way more as a collective than our body's name. And, it is pronounced "fee-light" not "fuh-light" or "fay-light," lol.[/hidden]

Share yours!

💡 The Felights 💡 https://felight.carrd.co/  💡

🪐 Cosmicals: 🔥 Apollo Fire the Sun God (12/3/16) Piano Soul the Star Man (1/26/17)

🐉 Mythicals: ☁️ Indigo Blue the Sky Dragon (10/2/17), 🦑 Gelato Sweet the Sea Monster (12/11/22)

🦇 Nycticals:  Dynamo Lux the Shock Rocker (3/3/17), 🎸 Radio Hiss the Song Demon (2/8/00)

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flandre Scarlet, Reisen Udongein Inaba, Tewi Inaba. Context of the names are on their pages, but for us, it's just who our forms were based on (or more specifically, Lumi's headcanon of what the characters might be like - us).

In my case, the name "Tewi" is actually "てゐ", the second character of which has not been used for nearly a thousand years. It used to be pronounced "wi" (as in english "we"), but became just "i" (as in english "E") over the centuries. What should've been Teh-we, and what Lumi read as Two-E, is actually pronounced Tay (technically, Teh-E said quickly). My name was stuck as "Two-E" for years before we found that out, though. Anyways, ZUN (sole creator of Touhou) used that "ancient" character in her name to imply how old she actually is. Over 1300 years old, most likely. Not unheard of for the elder youkai in Gensokyo, but certainly shocking considering how young Tewi seems. Still, she is the leader of all the rabbits in Gensokyo, and they listen to everything she says, so maybe there's something to it. I obviously don't claim to be 1300+ years old, but knowing how old Tewi actually was did influence how Lumi thought of her way back right before I existed.

Lucilyn - Lucilyn Suwa, actually - was a mostly unrelated to Touhou name that Lumi chose himself. He's always liked words like "lucid" and "lucent", and so when thinking of making who would become Lucilyn, he looked for names starting with that "luc-" sound. I think Lucilyn is normally spelled a couple of different ways, but this spelling was apparently the most agreeable to him. Suwa on the other hand, as you'd see in the Character Basis of Suwako Moriya's wiki page, was both in reference to Suwako herself (the primary influence in making Lucilyn) and to the lake Suwako herself is named after, Lake Suwa.

The reason Lucilyn isn't named "Suwako" is because Lumi created her and only her intentionally years after us, with forethought and all, and wanted to give her an original name. Us other three just sort of appeared on our own, so there was never a period of time to think about the idea we might have different names from the characters.

Hi, I'm Tewi, one of Luminesce's tulpas. I often switch to take care of things for the others.

All I want is a simple, peaceful life. With my family.

Our Ask thread: https://community.tulpa.info/thread-ask-lumi-s-tulpas

Jamie (James) 

[Hidden]

Well, "Jamie" has the same cadence and number of letters as my birth name and some other semantic similarities, so when I was on the hunt for a new name, it stuck out to me. I just like the feel, and though this is a personal decision, early on I wanted an androgynous name. I had a trans man friend whose chosen name was male-only and I think that caused him a lot of fights. If I don't pass to someone, it's still a bother, but they won't go "you're not a guy, I won't call you that." That is, take note, a dick move, no matter how early in transition someone is. Names are important. 

James is what my name is actually, and I didn't care about the meaning too much when I chose it, but it means "supplanter." Which is kinda funny, since, y'know, it supplanted my birth name. 

[/hidden]

Gavin 

[Hidden]

It had to be a G name, and I really, really thought he'd go with "Grayson" but Gavin immediately said "Nope." Gavin itself means "white hawk/falcon" though again, it was more about how it sounded than what it meant. I like it. Gavin's original name was something else, and I still call him that sometimes. Cassidy has a few times, too, but his original name is really something for Gavin and myself, a preservation of when he was first around. 

[/hidden]

Cassidy

[Hidden]

I let him name himself. I think all of us used Nameberry's Namehunter. I thought "Casey" was great but he ended up picking "Cassidy." All of our names have an "A" vowel, though mine is an "ay" and not an "ah." It means "curly-haired" or "clever," and Cassidy doesn't have curly hair, so I guess it means "clever" for him. I've known a Cassidy, so I was surprised he picked a name I have existing (and very mixed) feelings about. Cassidy got his name when he was three days old. Before that, I mostly avoided calling him anything (i.e. just saying "you", it's pretty easy within conversation) and when I wrote about him I just said "my tulpa." 

[/hidden]

We don't have middle names, though both my tulpas have taken my last name. I figure, we will eventually decide upon middle names, or at least I plan to let one come naturally, but for the time being we just don't have them. I never felt the need for a system name, I guess it's JGC if anything.  I'd never say "I'm James JGC" because... that's an acronym of our names. 

That is a question I have, though: Tulpas, do you consider yourselves to have a last name? Do you use a system name like a last name, or the body's/host's last name? 

-J

The world is far, the world is wide; the man needs someone by his side. 

Our Thread

Gray (My wonderland form)

[hidden]

I actually talked about this in another thread recently, so I'll just link that thread here and I'll leave the quote bellow:

During the time period where I was playing Legos with my brother, I watched a Phineas and Ferb episode about Candace getting split apart. I thought the concept of breaking someone in half and back together was fascinating, so I created a plot about an alien named Gray who while coming down to earth was split into the two characters Mr. Black and Mr. White. Eventually, the two characters were merged back into Mr. Ranger (first name Gray) and I kept that character around ever since. Gray Ranger as a character got his own story line about him being an alien and whatnot.

[/hidden]

Cat_ShadowGriffin

[hidden]

I have an obsession with making too many e-mails and usernames. When I came to Tulpa.info, I wanted a place holder name, and all I did was create a mix of "Cat", "Griffin", and possibly something else. This time I settled with "Cat_ShadowGriffin", and I have no idea why I decided to add the underscore. "CatShadowGriffin" feels pretty jumbley for me.

[/hidden]

Ranger

[hidden]

Ranger's name came from a story character I created named Gray Ranger. I usually tell myself stories about certain story characters I create, and at the time I decided to do one about Gray.

The basic story is Gray meets a wizard and the wizard decides to steal his soul, leaving Gray's body to waste. Since Gray was an alien, his brain summoned Gray's subconscious to take control of the body and save Gray. Without any other ideas on what to call the new character, I decided to call that character Ranger after Gray's last name.

Over time I made more stories about Ranger and Gray and then explored how close they are. Eventually I realized Gray was a reflection of myself and then I decided to claim the story character as my own identity and in addition, claim Ranger as my own.

Fast forwarding to when Ranger told me he was real, I gave him the choice to start over and take a new name and identity or keep his current identifier as "Ranger". At the time, he chose to keep the name, and even though he likes to give me crap about giving him the oh so creative name "Ranger", he takes the name to heart and still uses it.

Now, Ranger has two names- "Ranger" and an alternate more human name. He decided that he wanted to pick this other name for himself and right now he goes by that other name as well.

[/hidden]

The Grays:

[hidden]

Some of the Grays don't have a specific rhyme or reason to their name. The overall pattern was name them after a color on the rainbow, or give them some really weird name. Here are the most intresting of the bunch:

Gerodious: I have a suspicion his name was inspired by the Paper Mario Villain Sir Grodus, just because I thought his name sounded cool. I dropped the sir part and made it different (Gerodious is a being of light, not a villain)

Dark Gray: The name "Dark Gray" isn't exactly interesting (Gray but Dark), but he did end up inheriting the names "Black" and "White" when DG uses his split form, inspired from the original "Mr. Black" and "Mr. White". For some reason, I decided to name a sloppy merged version of Black and White "Platinum".

Fernardo: Flame Explosion created a Lego character who was supposed to be a farmer and named him "Fernardo", only for some reason he was like Gray's...walking talking human immune system? I ended up liking the concept of Fernardo and he ended up retaining both the name and farmer get out, even though he was supposed to represent my super ego (I ditched the weird immune system connection though).

Hope: Hope's name was important because it connected back to his original purpose: I was trying to turn an intrusive thought demon into a good guy, so he was my hope in trying to manage my anxiety.

Moltosha: I felt like pointing this one out because it's a weird name for a demon king. I tried to come up with a scary name and ended up accepting a made up word instead.

Blue: Again, a not creative name, but his name was not originally "Blue". He started off as a character named "Gold", but I didn't want to replace Gerodious or make a clone of him so I changed his name and form and started calling him "Blue".

Bune: Bune's name is a nick name. His actual name is Garcia, and he's the only Gray to actually have to names (he told me he wanted his name to be Garcia so I kept it.)

Laryx: One of my more creative names. The joke is Laryx talks too much and his original form was just a disembodied voice, so his name was thought of after the "larynx" or voice box.

None of the Technicians have particularly interesting names, but there was one character who had an interesting name story...

Lemsey: The rule with the Technicians is they all have cute smaller versions of themselves who work for them. Dream, a Technician, was the only one to not have a smaller helper he commanded. Since I explored the theme that the Technicians form a close bond with their helper droids, there was a whole incident where Dream tried to take Algor (another helper droid) from a different Technician, and instead he ended up with a droid of his own. Dream was the one who named his helper droid Lemsey, and I actually disapproved of the name, but I let him keep it anyway.

To be honest, I have no idea if this version of Dream was actually Ranger himself or just another Gray-like character, but I don't remember when Dream got Lemsey.

[/hidden]

Meow. You may see my headmates call me Gray or sometimes Cat.

I used to speak in pink and Ranger used to speak in blue (if it's unmarked and colored assume it's Ranger). She loves to chat.

Our system account

Guest Reilyn-Alley

Uhm.. I don't have some special origin for my name, I picked it. When i was still trying to communicate, in the first couple days after shaking off a long dormancy, Lance just called me "Rin" as a placeholder, cuz he didn't want to force a name on me. One of the first things he heard me say in almost 19 years was a broken and faint "Rei Lin" and "yes", to the question if that was my name.

As for him, it's almost as simple.. When we were younger, cant't remember when exactly, we had a sega genesis and there was a game called Warsong. It was the only game the semi-fampous Langrisser/Lungrisser series brought over in the US till an offshoot, Growlanser Generations, later. Anyway, there was a character he reeeeally like in the game named Lance Kalzaz.

He used the name for his longest-run AD&D character, in 2nd edition, but mispelled the last name. He's used it ever since as a fav game name, forum name, pseudonym, etc. It just stuck around out of habit.

LanceReilyn should be pretty obvious.

Well, my name (Aubrey) doesn't really have too much of an origin story, it is just my name. I quite like it though, it reminds me of Autumn, which I love. Actually, I just realised that my avatar has the colours of autumn leaves on it too. Huh, I didn't do that intentionally. Well, I like the colour, I like the avatar, and I actually quite like my name too. Besides the occasional strawberry joke, that is.

And for me, heh, no prizes for guessing what it means. Not to mention, it simply fits well with me in my opinion. When I think of it, I think of a drawing of a shield. I don't know, I've just come to accept that as a symbol of my identity. I quite like it. Much better than 'Dave' or something, lol. Gives me an easy concept to assert 'I am fronting' with, too.

As for a surname (last name), we don't have one, because we don't need one. We only ever need to use forenames (first names).

The body has its own surname. We don't use it. I feel it would undermine a large part of who we actually are to just add the body's surname to ours, and we have a system name but are still on the fence about if we should actually use it or not.

Aubrey (they/them) speaks like this and Shield (they/them) speaks like this... haha just kidding. Ah, memories.

Our profile picture is of Shield, because that's who mostly uses this account...

[the outdated lore]

N

[hidden]Just the first letter of our birth name, but now we’ve decided to stop calling him that as much and now we’re actually referring to him as N.[/hidden]

Me

[hidden]I like to take credit for my own name, but it may have been an intrusive thought. N and I thought the name sounded pretty, so I kept it.[/hidden]

Damien

[hidden]Damien was created four days after me, and before tulpamancy it wasn’t long after N had watched Who Killed Markiplier?, so I think I named him after that Damien. Fun fact: Damien and Jade were the only tulpas to have been given a name before their creation. Damien liked his name so he kept it.[/hidden]

Jade

[hidden]Before creating Jade, we had this idea of her essence. I’m not sure if that means that she was some variation of a walk-in now that I think about it, but her essence felt “green”, so we wanted to give her a green name. We’d just watched Ready Player One, and I thought about the Jade Key. Jade sounded like a nice name, and she liked it.[/hidden]

Spark

[hidden]Spark’s name was a shortened version of a name idea N had, “Sparky”. We let him choose his name, so he chose Spark.[/hidden]

Other Thoughtforms

[hidden]Torea: She was originally a dream character. Somehow I was dreaming while the body was awake and while dreaming, I managed to send N, Damien and Jade (this was about a month before Spark) an image of one of N’s book characters and a gibberish word. It was pronounced like Torea, so we decided that would be the spelling.

Kaffryn: N came up with it as a corruption of the name “Catherine”.

Zachary: He chose it himself when asked, after he changed it from Vincent.[/hidden]

Me, Summer

[Hidden] When I was first created Nihi never gave me a name, Nihi never introduced himself to me so we both used "Hey" to call ourselves. Some Time later, Nihi properly gave me a name, which he intended me to be his OC "Summer Solair" I said "No" refused that name because I do not want him to confuse me with his OC so I suggested him to call me Summer and his OC as Solair, we both agreed and I got the name ever since. Summer Solair's name was based on something from a hotel & Casino here in our place " Which is named Solaire"[/hidden]

Myrtle

[Hidden]Myrtle's name was based from a real life person's name, Nihi was watching some early news back then and the person being interviewd was named Myrtle, when he went to bed "Myrtle" came into our wonderland and kept the name ever since[/Hidden]

Cherry

[Hidden] Cherry's original name was Pinkie pie but after Nihi accepted her in our system, She wanted to get rid of who she is and change her name completely, so Nihi offered her another name, this time Summer Solair's Mother "Cherry Springs" She feel comfortable with her name and accepted to call her Cherry only. Cherry springs was based from Cherry Blossom flower. To make it less confusing from the OC she changed her form to what it is now[/Hidden]

Nihi

[Hidden]Nihi's Name, It had a very profound origin, I think, It is the name of the first Character created on his favorite MMORPG game called. Ragnarok. Ever since that day, he uses that as an Alias for himself online and in our system[/Hidden]

Hello! I am one of Nihi's Tulpas! It is very nice to meet you! :D

Noriko is named after a singer I like called Noriko Mitose.

Sabari's name got picked from a list of Indian names. Back in the day, she looked kind of tribal, and since we couldn't be assed to use an American Indian name generator, we used a European Indian one. Noriko and I decided we wanted her name to begin with an S for initial purposes, and that's the one that stood out to both of us.

Anzu originally looked like, well, Anzu, from the whole Reins of Raven Lord quest chain in World of Warcraft. So yeah.

Xiri is named after a Naaru NPC that is outside of Black Temple, again from World of Warcraft. Not because she looked anything like that NPC. But she liked the name, and Naarus are pretty cool in their own right.

Currently share myself with four other entities.

Noriko was created on December 15, 2014.  Sabari was created by Noriko on January 22, 2015.

Anzu was reborn on May 23, 2016.  Xiri returned on June 16, 2018.  Both had been inactive since 2012.

Progress Report | Ask a Question Thread