Trait detailing assistance

Am I a faggeet for posting the first half of my thread?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Am I a faggeet for posting the first half of my thread?

• No, I lul'd.
    • Yes Bane, you're a faggeet.

Hello ladies and gents. I have a rather stupid request to ask of you today because I know you don't get enough of them already. Your reward for helping me will be a picture of a golden star straight from the renowned place known as 'Google Images', and one of the basic smiley faces currently listed on this site, along with my thanks. With that said I will attempt to make the description of my problem as short as possible because I'm helpful like that, and know you are all eager to claim the glorious prize I mentioned earlier, in fact you are probably so excited about the prize that you won't retain a single word of my request, so the relatively short length of it will make reading it a second time much easier.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

POINTLESS RAMBLING ENDS

Basically I've written down all the traits I'm using, but I'm having difficulties describing them in depth. So I was just wondering if anyone had any left over trait description sheets they used for their tulpa/tulpae so I could get a better idea of where to start, I'd love to get a few different examples so I can compare them and make it my own. This would help me greatly as I am much better at this kind of thing when I have some kind of example to work off of rather than just blindly working from scratch, all the while hoping I'm using enough detail for what I hope to achieve.

It doesn't really matter. If you're having trouble describing traits well, then don't. Personality is optional, after all. You can't do too little of it; your tulpa's personality will just develop naturally to fill in any gaps, anyway (and his/her personality will most likely change at least a little from what you intended regardless of how much personality forcing you do).

I come out of hibernation once in a blue moon.

They/them pronouns, please. (I've been using this display name since 2012 and people won't recognize me if I change it.)

@fennecgirl

Personality *is* important to those who start with it, theres no point telling them to ignore it.

@faggeet

Just describe your tulpa how it will act based on current trait you working on. It's not really necessary to work that hard on personality. Important thing is you should know how your tulpa gonna react in different situations, you probably gonna return to this at least once after you've done it.

@fennecgirl

Personality *is* important to those who start with it, theres no point telling them to ignore it.

That's not what I'm trying to say...

I'm saying, "Personality is optional; don't worry that you haven't done enough," not "Personality is optional; don't do it."

I come out of hibernation once in a blue moon.

They/them pronouns, please. (I've been using this display name since 2012 and people won't recognize me if I change it.)

I went through a couple different steps. First it was important to get the main traits in there--if you were to be friends with this person, what would be the key words to describe them. Realize that little traits fit in here(this is why I enjoy the umbrella method)

Imagine scenes and how the tulpa would react. if your tulpa was at your high school and someone shoved them for no reason, what is the tulpa's reaction? Why? If it depends on variables, figure out how the tulpa would react based on all of the available options. Figure out how the traits interact, or if there is one you haven't thought of that causes said reaction.

Think also how the traits interact. An example is kindness and perceptiveness. Those traits together will likely create a very polite tulpa who knows how to behave depending on the situation, and one who is likely to be able to anticipate another's needs and be willing to meet them. Continuing with this, mix in a laid back nature. The tulpa might be very understanding of others--everyone has their own path to follow and has their own pace at which they need to grow. Perceptive of what others are experiencing, a laid back attitude making them a little less likely to react negatively, and kindness that might make them want to be friendly towards others.

The most important part of personality is understanding the whole. If defining the traits helps you learn how they think and how they act, go for it. Don't let yourself get too caught up in the specifics. Take time to step back and view the whole picture as well. Sometimes you'll discover more about the smaller pieces in that way.

Honestly, I didn't use a script, or any sort of organization except for a list of one-word traits.

If you're having trouble with keeping your mind on track, just allow it to wander. Sometimes those thoughts, if geared towards the personality will reveal something new and important that you overlooked. Just go where your mind takes you, it'll give you a more complete personality in the end.

Thanks for the advice guys, but I honestly already know pretty much all of this stuff. It's not that I don't know what I'm doing reguarding traits or what to write about reguarding them for the personality method I'm using, it's more of just that I am having a mind blank, and figured having some examples could help me overcome it.

Also to the people talking about whether personality is important or not, it is optional, but I have clearly chosen to work on it, and the method I'm choosing to use requires detail.

When I did it, I went through what was essentially a version of FAQ_man's template. To give an example, let's say you picked 'outgoing'. I'd spend 20 minutes or so going through things like image:

For self: "You view yourself as being competent socially, and thus you are more friendly towards people. Sometimes overconfidence leads you into being a little arrogant accidentally."

For others: "You are more visible to other people because you draw attention to yourself. Some would like you because of it, and you may draw admiration from some for your confidence and suavity. Others may resent it, perhaps seeing you as competition, or just wishing you would shut up sometimes".

Attitude:

"You view yourself as being superior to some others because of your nature; because these things come naturally to you, you struggle to understand how others could be introverted, or socially incompetent."

And so on. You might want to go into a bit more detail, but bear in mind that much of the detail will likely be lost through deviation.

Pleeb published his own material, so you could refer to that, too.

@Waffles: Thank you for your examples along with the link to Pleeb's material, I will be sure to read it.

@Enantiodromia: Thanks for the link, it was helpful. I think I will try using those questions on my tulpa myself once I get to that point.

Edit: (can't get the image from google images so this will have to do) * ;)